Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official Indy DVD Thread

View Single Post

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #3882 (permalink)
TaylorFitz
Will Always be a Snit Head

TaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREWTaylorFitz is new to the CHATBOX CREW
Default Re: Official Indy DVD Thread

I have that on tape and haven't got around to watching it yet. Haven't really heard that many good things about it actually.

Evolve 2

Chris Dickinson vs. Brad Allen

Solid match and a good opener. They kept a pretty consistent pace that wasn't overly crazy but not too slow at all. Brad Allen didn't take any of the crazy risks that he did at the last show either, which might be for the better. Good stuff.
**1/2

Brodie Lee vs. Gran Akuma

Pretty fun, short match. Brodie just dominates early on and Akuma gets the crap kicked out of him. He than hits a DVD out of no where and scores the quick tap out win. Nothing too spectacular but I was surprised at the win and it was pretty fun match for a few minutes.

Aeroform vs. Up in Smoke

Another good match. Fast paced and thankfully not very sloppy, despite Areoform being in the match... Another short match which I didn't mind at all.

Ken Doane vs. Caleb Konley

"I beat Jimmy Jacobs last time, not in this ring but one very similar to it." Easily the best thing I've ever heard Doane say. Doane apparently wants to get himself known as "Master of the Headlock" as I can say with pretty high certainty that more of this match involved a side head lock than everything else combined. A little ridiculous if you ask me as this really wasn't an enjoyable watch by any means. Doane is 0-2 when it comes to wrestling good matches in Evolve.
*1/4

Hallowicked vs. Kyle O'Reilly

So Davey was out and than TJP was injured so they just kind of threw in Hallowicked. I liked the clash in styles that they had with a realistic MMA for O'Reilly and Hallowicked being a Chikara guy. That this match worked fairly well though and it was short and to the point. Very enjoyable.
**1/2

Chuck Taylor vs. Ricochet

Out of his 3 Evolve matches this match showed Chucky T's personality more than the other 2 matches. It had a few moments were pretty funny and the rest of the wrestling was done very well. All the counters and flips they did worked and there wasn't anything that was just too over the top. Best match of the night so far.

Claudio Castagnoli vs Bobby Fish

Really good match here. A good mix if stiff moves and power moves from Claudio. I actually thought the match ended way sooner than it actually did as I wasn't expecting Fish to kick out of the Ricola Bomb. Claudio and Fish have both been doing really good in Evolve.
***1/2

Mercedes Martinez vs. Sumie Sakai

I was expecting a squash and was very happy to see that we didn't get one. A short and very competitive match and Martinez was actually in danger of losing a time or two. Pretty fun match to watch.

Johnny Gargano vs. Jimmy Jacobs

Quick and to the point. They kept a fast pace and fit a lot of stuff into the match that lasted less than 7 minutes. I was really impressed with this one.

The Colony vs. The Osirian Portal vs. Hallowicked and Frightmare vs. Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw

This match might have had no place on the card but that doesn't mean it was bad. There were a lot of spots but I was impressed with how smoothly everything flowed together. Some really impressive stuff. The Chikara guys had the chance to shine and I think they did their best with it. I think it was around 20 minutes long but felt like half the length.
***1/2

Chris Hero vs. Ikuti Hidaka

I think Chris Hero jumped into a time machine for the first half of this match. It was pure mat wrestling at its finest and it really reminded me of a lot Hero's older work and it was nice to see it again. Hidaka did a great job of going after the leg while Hero focused on the arm. The first 15 or 20 minutes featured some of the best mat wrestling that I've seen this year and when things picked up the match got even better. Another refreshing type of match to see on the indy scene.
****1/4

I personally liked the first show more as the first few matches are easily skippable. The second half of the show was fantastic though and made up for the not so stellar start. DVD was 2 and half hours almost to the second and it was an easy watch as the matches were kept short.

I've seen all 3 Evolve shows now and I really like how the company is coming along. I just hope they can manage to stay in business long enough to keep putting on good shows.