Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Workout/Staying in Shape Thread
View Single Post
post #945 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Briggsy1875

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Frost View Post
Hey guys I'm new to this thread but thought if I could get help it would be here.

Background Information
I've just turned 20 years old and see myself as a fairly fit guy although I do smoke around 20 cigs a day.I would say I have an average body though I do have a bit of extra weight on my stomach area. I am pretty disappointed that my arms are fairly skinny in proportion to the rest of my body. I am in the armed forces and have been working overseas for the last 3 months I've been a little disappointed that I have not lost a bit of weight due to the heat and the amount of patroling I have been doing. I have access to a small gym facilitty tht includes a exercise bike, a couple of sets of dumbells 14g 16g, a benchpress (weight unknown concrete attached), skipping ropes and a bar to do pull ups.

What excercises, routines and tecniques would you recommend in order to build up the strength in my arms and get a bit bigger(bearing in mind I struggle with bicep curls at the moment) plus trim the pounds off my stomach. All help will be rewarded with rep thanks.
If you have limited equipment I would suggest looking for a routine by Reg Park. These are easily found by just typing 'Reg Park Workout' on google. Reg just used dumbbells, barbells and a chinning bar and built a fantastic physique around those, granted though he did have amazing genetics.

For overall mass focus on heavy compound lifts i.e. lifts which use more than one muscle/joint such as bench press (Incline, Decline, Flat) squats, deadlifts, military press, clean and press, high pulls, pull ups, barbell/dumbbell rows. Google any of those if you're not sure what they are. For the last few months I had been doing a typical bodybuilders split e.g Monday: Chest/Triceps, Tuesday: Legs. etc. But have recently changed things up and now focus on heavy compound exercises 3 times per week. The benefit of compound movements is that becuase you're recruiting more than one muscle group to help you with the lift you're able to lift much heavier weights.

Don't worry about your arms, they will grow in time when you add overall mass to your body. Don't forget the biceps are a relatively small muscle when compared to pectorals or quads and the triceps make up most of your arm mass. John Grimek had 19 inch arms and he barely did curls of any kind.

Personally speaking I have seen more growth in my arms from doing compound lifts than isolation exercises such as concentration curls or kickbacks but that is down to my individual body.

Also remember that you can have the best training plan in the world but if your diet is poor and you don't get enough rest you will barely grow. Plenty of protein, ideally 1g per pound of bodyweight, healthy fats such as omega 3 found in oily fish and good carbs such as sweet potato and oatmeal. As well as this try and get at least 8 hours sleep a night.

I realise that all of this may be pretty hard for you due to your job, the best thing to do is improvise where possible. Like I said google Reg Park and have a look at some of his routines paticularly the 5x5.

All the best.

Last edited by Briggsy1875; 04-28-2010 at 10:28 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome