Wrestling Forum banner

Official Puro Match/DVD Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

796K views 9K replies 415 participants last post by  Brock 
#1 ·
About time we made a Puro thread seeing as there's an Indy one and it deserves a seperate thread. You can use this to discuss any Puro matches or shows, past or present.

I've just finished this awesome set so I may as well get the thread up and running with some ratings for it.

ivp's Top 25 Matches in NOAH History

Disc 1

25. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Koji Kanemoto vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi - January 26th 2003 - Kobe World Hall
***1/2

24. Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA - April 25th 2004 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/2+

23. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs. Makoto Hashi - March 6th 2004 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
***3/4

Disc 2

22. Kenta Kobashi vs. Minoru Suzuki - January 8th 2005 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
***3/4

21. Jun Akiyama & Takeshi Rikio vs. Takeshi Morishima & Muhammad Yone - April 1st 2007 - Tokyo Korakuen Hall
****1/4

20. Naomichi Marufuji & Minoru Suzuki vs. Makoto Hashi & Jun Akiyama - July 18th 2005 - Tokyo Dome

19. Jun Akiyama & Takeshi Rikio vs. Yoshihiro Takayama & Takashi Sugiura - April 28th 2007 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
***3/4

Disc 3

18. Kenta Kobashi & Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Jun Akiyama & Mitsuharu Misawa - December 2nd 2007 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/4

17. Akira Taue vs. Yuji Nagata - June 6th 2003 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
***1/2

16. Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Makoto Hashi - September 12th 2003 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/4

Disc 4

15. Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito vs. Kenta Kobashi & Tamon Honda - June 6th 2003 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/4

14. Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA vs. Juventud Guerrera & Ricky Marvin - November 1st 2003 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/4

Disc 5

13. Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Takashi Sugiura - June 5th 2005 - Sapporo Media Park Spica
****1/2

12. Takeshi Rikio & Takeshi Morishima vs. Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA - July 16th 2006 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/2

11. KENTA vs. SUWA - September 18th 2005 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/4

Disc 6

10. Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue - September 10th 2004 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/2

9. Kenta Kobashi & Kentaro Shiga vs. Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito - 19th October 2002 - Tokyo Korakuen Hall

8. Naomichi Marufuji vs. KENTA - October 29th 2006 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****3/4+

Disc 7

7. Naomichi Marufuji & KENTA vs. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Takehiro Muruhama - July 16th 2003 - Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
****1/2

6. Kenta Kobashi vs. Tamon Honda - April 13th 2003 - Tokyo Ariake Colosseum
****1/2

BONUS Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama - December 23rd 2000 - Tokyo Ariake Colosseum
****3/4

Disc 8

5. Kenta Kobashi vs. Yoshihiro Takayama - April 25th 2004 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan
****1/2

4. Kenta Kobashi vs. Jun Akiyama - July 10th 2004 - Tokyo Dome
****3/4

Disc 9

3. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi - March 1st 2003 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan

2. Kenta Kobashi & Go Shiosaki vs. Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima - November 5th 2005 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan

1. Kenta Kobashi vs. Kensuke Sasaki - July 18th 2005 - Tokyo Dome

Overall:
Absolutely amazing comp. Perfect for any new NOAH fans with an insane amount of brilliant matches.

See less See more
#89 ·
ROH Invades Japan Volume 1

Austin Aries and Roderick Strong vs. Naruki Doi and Yoshino

No idea when exactly this match took place but it happened at a Wresltejam in Dragon Gate.

Good fast paced stuff where we saw the Japanese team work as the heels as they attempted to isolate Aries for a good period of time. You had the often criticized excessive interference from the heels and even some interference from the faces as well. Things also completely broke down at the end as I don't recall seeing a single tag during the last 5 minutes of the match.

That being said none of it bothered me at all as this match was a lot of to watch. Some really nice spots and really fast paced. The match went a little under 14 minutes and there wasn't a dull moment. We saw Aries get the pin on Yoshino after hitting the 450 Splash.
***1/4

Rocky Romero vs. Mushiking Terry

Joined in prgress but I don't you miss anything that important to the match. First few minutes were a nice mix of technical wrestling a them kicking each other really hard.

Some nice spots and everything but it was just kind of hard to get into. Ended up being an entertaining but rather average match. The ending was nice with a few false finsishes after some rough looking suplexes and ended with Mushiking Terry winning with an armdrag variation off the top rope.
**3/4 I'm sure I'm on the low end on this.

Takeshi Morishima vs. KENTA for the ROH World Title

Really good, stiff and quick match. I liked how KENTA took it right to the much bigger guy and never seemed to back down. We some really impressive suplexes from both guys, in fact the match came to an end a little after the 9 minute mark when Morishima hit KENTA with a big lariot into a side suplex.

They fit everything they needed to into this one. You can't do much better in 9 minutes as this was one awesome match. Would have liked a little more variation in Morishima's offense though.
***1/2

Brian Danielson vs KENTA

An incredible match between two of the best workers out there right now. I loved how seamlessly they were able to go from wrestling a technical masterpiece to Danielson hitting as stiff a lariot as I've seen to than having Dragon jumping off the top rope, over the guardrail on the floor. It really had me thinking, "Is there anything they can't do?"

They had some great technical wrestling and a really exciting ending that saw Daneilson go for the Cattle Mutilation a few times but fell victim to what I thought was a GTS from KENTA for the win.

The match was about 25 minutes long and it felt like it was 15 minutes long tops. Really enjoy seeing these two work together as they have amazing chemistry.
****1/4

Jack Evans, Matt Sydal, BxB Hulk, and Jushin Liger vs. Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Magnitude Kishiwada, and Kevin Steen

Really like the mix of Japanese and American talent in the match as all the matches before this had been ROH talent against Japanese talent. Very nice to see a mix.

This was pretty much a wild and out of control match that had non stop action. Amazing stuff and I really liked how the Japanese crowd was really into the match. Usually the Japanese fans just piss me off but they were pretty good in this match. It had some great moments too such as seeing Sydal and Yohsino in the ring together and more spots than you could ask for. 18 minutes of pure fun and awesomeness.
***3/4

Nigel McGuinness & Doug Williams vs. Rikio & Kawabata

Another quick match but still very good. Frequent tags kept things very interesting and for a match that was barley over the 9 minute mark they had a great finishing sequence that saw Rikio and Kawabata take a good deal of punishment before when of them (no idea who was who) fell victim to a rolling German Suplex from Doug Williams.

Another good match on this set. I feel like they could have been able to have a great match if they had been allowed 5 more minutes or so but this is another example of how you can still have a very good short match.

The Briscoe Brothers vs. Ricky Marvin & Kotaro Suzuki for the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles

A true roller coaster of a match. Much better than a lot of the U.S. stuff that I have seen from the Briscoes as this match had a very nice pace to it where we would see some nice mat work followed by some incredible spots and they would go back to the mat.

This match had as many big spots as a lot of the Briscoe matches that I've seen before but the big difference was that they avoided the overkill ending by spacing them out so well. There were a lot moments where I was shocked at how impressive some of the stuff they did looked.

Marvin and Suzuki are a team that was easily able to match high flying skills with the Briscoes and they went and put on an incredible match. One of the best tag matches that I've seen in a while.
****1/2

Chris Hero & Doug Williams vs. Yoshinori Ota & Mohammed Yone

15 of really good wrestling. Nothing was too flashy except for the brutal swinging reverse DDT (I guess that's what you would call it) from Hero at the end to get the win which was pretty awesome as it looked like Ota landed right on his head.

Another awesome match that just showcased some great wrestling.
***3/4

Overall a fantistic DVD and since it came from IVP that means it only cost me $3 so it's really hard to go wrong at such a low price.

I mean you have 2 matches over 4 stars and the rest were 3 or higher except for one match which was clipped anyways. Good mix of Dragon Gate and NOAH matches. Highly recommended.

#90 ·
**1/2 at most for Nigel/Williams vs. Rikioh & Kawabata. Kawabata was the one who got pinned as Rikioh is a former GHC Heavyweight champion, so he'll rarely ever get pinned, especially not to mid-card gaijin.

***-***1/4 For Hero & Doug vs. Ota & Yone.

I used to love Briscoes vs. Ricky & Kotaro but the last time I watched it I had to turn it off because of all the damn flippy moves from both teams.

KENTA/Morishima is one of the best under 10 minutes matches you'll ever see.

#94 ·
Seconded in regard to the sig.

#95 ·
Firsted in regards to having a bukkake fest on her face with Blasko, McQueen, Derek, GP, Mystery, Aaron, Spartan, Platt, Seabs, David, erickstanz, KingCrash, PaiMei, MAVSFAN and Benjo.

Other Wrestling parties can't be topped.

(P.S., if the girl isn't available, we can just use John Mercer instead)

#105 ·
So last night I had a date with a Japanese foreign exchange student. She didn't know who Misawa was. I was very sad.

#106 ·
No second date?

I just watched Dynamite Kid vs. Tatsumi Fujinami - Jr. Title (2/5/1980) and it was pretty awesome. If I didn't know the date of this match I would say that there was no chance in hell it happened in 1980. I really hope I can get around to watching more of him as I have a bunch of his matches on DVD with Tiger Mask.

#110 ·
Shawn Antonio Honda's pyro is my favorite moment in all of wrestling this year. Seriously.

#111 ·
Dan Kroffat & Doug Furnas vs. Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi - AJPW 25.05.1992

I dare you to try and find any match with a crowd quite like this. Fuck me. From the moment the bell rings and Kobashi starts laying in with chops the crowd just go ape shit and gobble up absolutely everything Kobashi & Kikuchi throw at them. You know when Kikuchi's dropkicks at the get go make the crowd go fucking crazy you're gonna be in for a rollercoatser of a ride and you best make sure you've got your seatbelt on for this ride.

Can-ams are fucking awesome in this one too btw. Obviously the focus is all around the crowd with the babyface team of Kobashi and Kikuchi but Kroffat and Furnas play up to the crowd just as well as the heels in the situation. It's almost like Kroffat and Furnas are Al Qaeda leaders who have decided to invade All Japan and are gonna fucking blow everyone inside the arena up if they win. There power is immense and it's a beaty to watch but for such big powerful men they have another fucking weapon of mass destruction. These fuckers have bloody agility too. The iranians can fuck off with their nuclear weapons. They could probably invade this arena and the crowd would laugh them out of the front door where they came in shortly before Kobashi chops the skin completely off their chests. Your nuclear missiles and weapons of mass destruction aint got nothing on Can-ams destructive combination of immense power and decieving agility though.

And thus when the Japaneese crowd realise that two terrorists have invaded they suddenly realise that if their boys dont win then they're all gonna die and that aint what they want. It doesn't matter how much the two terrorists in the blue trunks hold their heroes back they just erupt for every moment of offense from Kobashi and Kikuchi. If anyone ever decides to publish a wrestling dictionary and they need a definition for the phrase marking the fuck out, just put All Japan 25/05/1992 or if you publish it in America change it to All Japan 5/25/1992 for their little minds that dont realise nearly every other country uses the correct date format.

They make the crowd at Mania 18 for Rock/Hogan sound like an empty arena match and if you compare the size of the two crowds that's quite the statement but it can be backed up. I don't think any combination of letters can really do justice for how amazing this is not only for the crowd but for the quality of the match too. I could try though. AGJKLMPQINFKGRPMWBOEMGPWGN!!!

As awesome as the crowd is though, the quality of the match backs it up just as much and is just incredible. If I go back to using Rock/Hogan as an example again, the crowd there made an alright match into a really good one. The crowd in this case made an awesome match into an all time classic. Even if it had a pretty average crowd the wrestling was still more than good enough to make it a genuinly brilliant wrestling match.

If ya want me stick a star rating on this heroes of japan vs terrorists war then really it's impossible to say how much I enjoyed it but apparently if I slap a ***** on it, it means I pretty much I enjoyed the fuck out of that shit, so ....

#113 ·
6 MONTHS!?!? Goddamn you, Andy! Great read, as usual.

#116 ·
Im curious on whether any of these matches are worth a look.

Dragon Gate "Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival" Dream Gate vs. Brave Gate Title Match: Doi vs. CIMA
Sasaki & Kenta Kobashi vs Katsuhiko Nakajima & Tenryu from I believe the first K. Office Main Event
7/20/09 IWGP Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Takashi Sugiura
8/30/09 - KO-D Openweight Title : HARASHIMA vs. Kota Ibushi
Dragon Gate Summer Adventure Tag league III: 8/26/09
YAMATO & Shingo Takagi vs. Nakajima & Mochizuki

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.