Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#1,123 ·
Hahaha, finally this thread gets lively!

Diet pills? A little more info would be good. Ones you get from supplement stores are thermogenic tablets that are supposed to increase your metabolism. Prescription ones we get here are usually called Duromine. My wife has been able to get it for me for free, she's a nurse. I took them to try them out and lost 6 kilos in about 2 weeks without trying anything different. A good diet is the best thing for anyone trying to lose weight. Situps/crunches etc won't enable you to lose fat. It's not possible.

I think what Father Flex is trying to say is people need to be careful with the advice they give and take from this thread. Experts seem to come and go. Offer advice by all means but be careful in the manner with which you do it.

#1,125 ·
I think what Father Flex is trying to say is people need to be careful with the advice they give and take from this thread. Experts seem to come and go. Offer advice by all means but be careful in the manner with which you do it.
This(!) is well said.

And just because I mentioned this doesn't mean you have to listen, either. There's a fine line that if crossed, can steer someone's impression (in the fitness world) the wrong way.

Only my two cents, of course. Giving some tips; that's all.

#1,126 ·
So I was wondering on opinions here.

What daily vitamin pills do you take or recommend taking. Just for maintaining or gaining a more healthy lifestyle and such.

I take Vitamin D daily, since I've been recommended it.

No need for Vitamin C, since I have enough fruit.

I was wondering for not just Vitamins, but if those heart omega-3 pills or joint pills and such would effect positively no matter what. I mean I have some joint pain, but I mean I'm a young healthy guy, I wouldn't want to ruin it, reliant on a bunch of pills that damage me in any way. Thanks.

#1,133 ·
My friend owes me 10 bucks now for saying I can't draw heat. :D

Did I mention that the advice I take is from people I work out with at the gym who have been doing it for years? One guy has been doing it for almost 25 years in fact. So I know the specific diet pills I take are good. Of course, not everyone is the same and was told to quit if I experienced any adverse side effects. It may not help you but it helps me so fuck anyone for speaking for me. If I came off as too arrogant then I apologize but if I feel like I can give some input into a certain manner, I'm going to to damn well do so.

Father Flex, I'm pretty sure you know a lot more than me about working out but never speak for me.

#1,134 ·
does anyone here take jack3d or any other pre-workout supplement, is it cool like if i mix up a jack3d drink but only drink half of it and save the other half for my next workout which can be like a few days, does it last in there or does it go bad, just making sure, also how many scoops do you take for it to be effective

#1,135 ·
I always drink mine after my workouts while my muscles are still tender so it will absorb quicker. And all it takes is one scoop and 8 ounces of milk for me. I have Body Fortress vanilla flavor. With the milk, it tastes like a fucking milkshake. It's great.

And it depends. What kind of drink are you using to mix with and how many scoops do you normally put in? At that, how many teaspoons is that scope? As for going bad, I wouldn't know. You can probably find out on their website.

#1,142 ·
Re: P90X

You can find the complete set on ebay for 90 bucks.

I did Insanity instead only because the original P90X commercials creeped me out and reminded me of Mark Wahlberg in Fear. I was already healthy and worked out a lot and Insanity kicked my ass.

#1,146 ·
Thanks for the replies Rajah and Flex - I'll look into that Starting Strength program before starting one. Luckily I've just started a pretty labour-intensive job which involves a lot of lifting heavy stuff and a lot of walking around non-stop - tiring, but I imagine I'll be a lot stronger by the end of it.

#1,151 ·
So I got myself a treadmill and have a set workout plan. I get on the treadmill for 30 minutes. 20 of which I will walk, and ten of which is running. The treadmill is also on a bit of an incline, which I am hoping helps. After that and a couple minutes rest, I do 50 situps followed by twenty pushups. Now I am trying to get rid of a bit of a belly, and shape up my stomach. Disregarding the pushup portion of the workout, would you guys say this is a good workout? Any altercations to be made?

P.S. I do the situps and pushups daily, but was planning on doing the treadmill 3 times a week. Open to suggestions. :)

#1,152 ·
On a completely unrelated note, I am starting to makeover my garage into a gym. Just recently purchased some Pendlay bumper plates so they should be arriving soon. Starting to install a heating system in the garage, too as it is getting chilly here in Chicago.

Here's what else I need or should compile within the next month:

1. York Squat Rack
2. Pendlay Elite 20KG Bearing Bar
3. Platform / Rubber Mats
4. Pendlay Flat Bench
5. Collars, Technique Plates
6. New belt, do-win shoes, & foam roller

Still have about $1500 to invest (at the very minimum). It will be so worth it though.

#1,153 ·
^^^Nice. I have a home gym setup.

*Multi station - high and low pulley, leg extension and machine press/fly. Approx 6 different bars and attachemnts
*Adjustable Bench - leg attachment and preacher pad attachment
*Smith Machine
*2 sets of Bowflex dumbells
*2 straight bars
*Ezy curl bar
*Weight stack with approx 200kg/440lbs worth of plates
*Treadmill
*Exercise bike
*Punch/Kick bag

#1,154 ·
Wow. Impressive. You've got it all, huh? Almost like a commercial gym with the multi station, free weights, and smith machine. I bet the gym treats you well. Sounds awesome.

An olympic weightlifting type of set up would work wonders for me. That's all I need. Platform to lift on, a squat rack, a barbell, and some bumper plates. I am salivating from the mouth while thinking about it. Mmmm

#1,157 ·
Just a thought.
There is a guy who is built like Batista (just comparing) but he is shorter. Probably 5'9. He comes to the pharmacy (where I work) and gets all these anti-depressants (he is a regular, being coming for 3 years maybe). The guy is kind of quiet, I talk to him a few times about supplements and working out for a little when we are not busy. He does not seem like he is happy. I try not get too personal with the guy as it is non of my business. But do some of you feel sad or depressed when working out? I mean I know your supposed feel "happier" as you get more self confidence, more energy, etc.... I myself feel great, but I just have little more of temper than usual (I have that latino temper), before I started working out years ago.

#1,158 ·
21 in January, 6.0ft 305lbs... Hey guys 8*D lol i embarked on my 'journey' when i injured my knee really badly playing football and couldnt really do much excercise for nearly a year, add to that a very poor diet for the last 4 years without ever really paying attention to my weight or rather, not caring too much it hit me a few weeks ago that maybe i should "sort myself out".

I've lost 20lbs in 2.5 weeks with a diet consisting of a 'breakfast bar' (nutrigrain), no lunch (doubt many of you will think thats a good idea lol) and then dinner. I've also cut out all soft drinks and energy drinks (which i used to ONLY drink) and now drink water. I'm thinking that after a while this diet might backfire as i'm probably not gonna enough of something or other...

I have an elliptical trainer/cross trainer whatever theyre called and some weights, any ideas on some sort of routine? I've looked through the thread and i'm thinking i should do some weights before running, or walking as Rajah says it's better :D

Also, am i right in thinking it's easier to turn fat into muscle? As opposed to simply gaining muscle from nothing? If this is the case then should i be turning a substantial amount of fat into muscle and THEN losing weight and thus becoming a tank? Or would i just end up looking like a smaller, whiter, version of Mark Henry?

Thanks for any help, maybe i should take a 'before' picture?

#1,162 ·
I have an elliptical trainer/cross trainer whatever theyre called and some weights, any ideas on some sort of routine? I've looked through the thread and i'm thinking i should do some weights before running, or walking as Rajah says it's better :D
Nutrigrain = sugar.

There are two "better" times to do cardio. First thing in the morning, before breakfast. If you're worried about losing muscle during that time you can have a protein shake before you cardio to feed your muscles. Otherwise cardio duirectly after a workout while your GH levels are hishest is also good. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is the way to go. 3 minute slow warmup, one minute fast, 30 seconds slow, one minute fast, 30 seconds slow etc and do a 3 minute slow cool down. You will burn more calories.fat this way than a constant run or jog.

For breakfast I sometimes zap 3 eggs in the microwave for just over 2 minutes. That'll give you a nice protein boost first up. Most breakfast cereals are high in sugar.

My resting metabolic rate is 3110. That was a 10 minute test with me hooked up to a machine with a tube in my mouth.

#1,159 ·
1. you can't turn fat into muscle.
2. your diet is still terrible. eat a better more nutritious breakfast, eat lunch as well. basically what is sounds like is that you're cutting way way back on calories, which is why you're losing weight. if you don't eat properly then your weight loss will plataeu, and you'll likely put the weight back on.

#1,160 · (Edited)
You cannot turn fat into muscle. If you gain fat quickly, chances are you'll gain muscle quite quickly too, dependent on your body type. You can do both, build muscle and lose fat at the same time but I'd concentrate on one more than the other and let the other be a 'side-effect'.

If I were you, I would cut down on fat for a while until you're decently toned (8% - 10% body fat, maybe?). If you want a good physique, this would be better, but if you're in quick need of power and strength, then start lifting.

---

Question, how many calories do you burn usually per day? And what's your RMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.