Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

616K views 6K replies 210 participants last post by  Platt 
#1 ·
#5,378 ·
Looks like a good show Seahawks.

Quick Question everyone: are the PWG dvds from Highspots and the PWG dvds from PWG/ROH.com the same? What I mean is my 2 PWG dvds from highspots left out entrances. Am I missing anything from not directly ordering from their site or are all pwg dvds like that.

I don't mind it, just didn't know if I was missing anything special by ordering from highspots.(Like the entrances, bonus material/matches, etc.)

#5,473 ·
CZW – Home Sweet Home

One In Eight Chance Match
DJ Hyde vs. Alex Colon vs. Ryan Slater vs. Tyler Veritas - **

CZW WIRED Title
Drew Gulak vs. Jonathan Gresham - *1/2

Team Macktion (TJ & Kirby Mack) vs. The Irish Drive-By (Rich Swann & Ryan McBride) - **3/4

CZW Junior Heavyweight Title
Sonjay Dutt vs. Adam Cole - ***1/4

One In Eight Chance Match
Sami Callihan vs. Sabian vs. Greg Excellent vs. AR Fox - **3/4

Winner Entered In CZW Tag Tournament
The Best Around (Bruce Cannon & TJ Maxwell) vs. Drake Younger & B-Boy - **1/2

UltraViolent Grudge Match
Cult Fiction (Masada & tHURTeen) vs. Scotty Vortekz & Danny Havoc - **1/2

One In Eight Chance – Winner Gets Shot At Any Title
Sabian vs. Tyler Veritas - DUD
Why build up a opportunity for any title and have it end in around two minutes?

CZW World Heavyweight Title
Jon Moxley vs. Egotistico Fantastico vs. Nick Gage - **3/4

Loser Leaves CZW
Drew Blood vs. Devon Moore - ***
Shocked this main evented, and even more shocked it didn't suck.

Reactions: WillTheBloody
#5,504 ·
Dragon Gate USA – Enter The Dragon

CIMA vs. Johnny Gargano - **3/4

Chuck Taylor vs. Ricochet vs. Adam Cole vs. Arik Cannon - ****

Naruki Doi vs. Drake Younger - **

Rich Swann vs. Scott Reed Brodie Lee killing everyone

Elimination Match
Kamikaze USA (Akuma, Moxley, Tozawa & YAMATO) vs. Team Chikara (Quackenbush, Jigsaw & Hallowicked) and Masato Yoshino - ***1/2

Open The Freedom Gate Title
BxB Hulk vs. Masaaki Mochizuki - ***1/4

And smitlick I though I was the only one torturing myself watching IWA-MS. Too bad we won't get a TPI this year, though by the lineup Ian was putting out you knew it wasn't going to happen.

Reactions: smitlick
#5,505 ·
Lol yeah i only picked up Prince of & King of the Death Matches but didnt bother or find anything else yet to download from IWA-MS. I have 4-5 CZW shows still to watch as well which should be pretty poor as well as Acid Fest... Looks like i won't enjoy Enter The Dragon either. DGUSA has really gone downhill with some of the workers and matches there putting on.

Is a barbed wire dog tag match where they both have collars on that are connected by barbed wire or is a barbed wire match where the are chained together?

Normal Dog Collar with Barbed Wire wrapped around the chain or at least that what it looked like.. Really hard to tell whether it actually had Barbed Wire on it..

#5,538 ·
#5,568 ·
Death Before Dishonor VIII

Grudge Match:
Kevin Steen vs. El Generico

A really memorable start to the show with Generico running past Up In Smoke and demanding Steen come to the ring so the match could start. This match was great and a great idea to have one of the main events open the show, so the crowd doesn't get burnt out later on. One of the best openers this year with the exchanges these two deliver. Set the tone with how unpredictable and great the show would be. The finish was also good and continues the feud nicely. A very good match and perfect for an opener.

Rating: ****

Tag Team Attraction:
The All Night Express (Kenny King & Rhett Titus) vs. Up In Smoke

A nice tag match and both teams impressed me. Cheech & Cloudy worked well together here and made The ANE look great. Glad they fixed one of the cameras too because you can tell that one of the cameras was giving us a picture quality that resembled a home video.

Rating: ***

Grudge Match:
Austin Aries vs. Delirious

Red Poison Delirious is the one who showed up to the match and kicks it off well and gets me interested in the match until the end. Wasn't expecting the match to hold my interest, but it did and I give them credit for it. A decent match to watch and a nice way to further the feud.

Rating: ***

The 2nd Annual Toronto Gauntlet: #1 Contender's Match:
Colt Cabana vs. Tyson Dux vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Roderick Strong vs. Shawn Daivari vs. Steve Corino

The only disappointment of the show and a bad way to head into intermission. Having Daivari & Corino in the match hurt it and the first elimination came as a shock to me where I was unable to get into the match. It did serve a purpose in naming a #1 contender, so I give it that, but the match was pretty much story torwards the end with the final two. I can forgive ROH though because they gave me Steen/Generico in a very good match earlier and two nice matches also.

Rating: ** 1/2

Intermission:
Steen & Generico Brawl

A nice surprise and I find it cool that they make a statement that the I-PPVs should be seen because intermission will usually bring a surprise that will have people talking after the show. An intense brawl and a nice way to warm up the crowd for the rest of the show after the Gauntlet match.

Rating: *** 3/4

Pick 6 Series Match:
Kenny Omega vs. Christopher Daniels

These two just went there and stole the show. I was expecting a good match, but not one this good. For their placement on the card, they put on the perfect match. Not too long, not too short, they got the crowd into the action, but didn't burn them out so the rest of the matches would suffer. A perfect mid-card match. A lot of false finishes and counters in this one and I especially thought the Hadoken that Omega delivered looked devastating. A great match to start the second half of the show.

Rating: ****

ROH World Tag Team Title, NO DQ Match:
The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) (c) vs. The Briscoe Brothers

Like the way they played off the last Canada show by saying that the Briscoes were being held at Customs and they may not make it to the show. The nthe Briscoes storm the ring and the match starts off hot. A great brawl that gives the fans something different from what they had been watching before with all the basic wrestling matches earlier in the night. All four men bled in this one, especially the Briscoes. Tables, Hubcaps, Ropes, Chairs, etc. were all used in this and the show has been stolen one again. Only one more match left and we'll have to see if it tops this, Steen/Generico, & Omega/Daniels.

Rating: **** 1/4

ROH World Title Match:
Tyler Black (c) vs. Davey Richards

Rating: *****

Overall Thoughts:

This is now my most favorite ROH show. Here's the rundown:

Steen/Generico - The perfect opener to get the crowd hot.
Tag match - Build the young team of ANE.
Aries/Delirious - Further the feud
Gauntlet - Crowns a #1 contender to set up the next PPV.
Intermission - Furthers the Steen/Generico feud
Daniels/Omega - Great match to start the second half.
KOW/Briscoes - Another great match that contributes to the quality of the show.
Black/Richards - The best ROH match in my opinion. No words do this match justice.

ROH has set the bar so high, I doubt they will be able to top it. Let's see if Final Battle will be able to.

#5,721 ·
I havnt seen it all but i have heard people say that Seven is up there with those shows. I LOVED SOH III though, what a show! Strong vs Stevens, Briscoes vs AOTF, Steenerico vs Shingo/BxB Hulk, Aries vs Mcguinnesss and the DG six man where all fantastic matches, probably one of my favorite shows ever.

#5,735 ·
So I've gotten around to watching the good shit for ROH April 2010. Now I can see why Strong got the title. He was on fucking fire in the spring. If you wanna see Strong with a fire under his ass, you need to get Pick Your Poison. He's quicker, he's more aggressive, he's getting more hostile. It's the Roderick Strong of 2005 that I've been begging to return. Plus his matches against Davey (yeah, I'm including the ****1/2 Titannica match) and the Big Bang match were sights to behold as well. Pick Your Poison is also worth picking up for the novelty of seeing the Dark City Fight Club in a good match for once.

Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies II is the first truly must see event for ROH in 2010. Sure, the Big Bang has three ****+ matches, and there's been some other classics here and there, but on this show, I count a **** (Strong vs. Davey), a ****3/4 (Black vs. Hero), and a ****1/2 (Cabana/Generico vs. Steen/Corino.) The Briscoes vs. Aries/King match is quite entertaining as well for the storytelling and foreshadowing for the inevitable breakup that will come between Aries and King.

I've not gotten past this point for ROH, but I cannot possibly imagine that Black's title defenses against Strong, Davey, and Steen can touch his defense against Hero. Easily his best match since his first title shot against Nigel, with tremendous storytelling and a match that put over Black as a true champion. I'll put it to you this way - it was Hero, not Davey, that proved Tyler Black was a legit champion and the right man to carry the company.

The main event from the Chicago show brought back reminders of the Attitude Era for me in the best way possible (which can also be seen as a bad thing.) Yeah, some dangerous shit, but pales in comparison to the likes of the Briscoes vs. Steen/Generico and Super Dragon vs. Kevin Steen feuds. True hatred, fantastic dramatic spots, being in the right place at the right time, everything clicked for this fight with the right team going over in one of the best finishers of the year. This brought back memories of Steve Austin vs. Dude Love, The Rock vs. Mankind, Triple H vs. Cactus Jack, and the Dudleyz vs. the Hardyz vs. Edge & Christian.

#5,736 ·
^I'm glad you thought Hero vs Black was MOTN on that show, I think it gets underrated. It's at least ****1/4 IMO and one of his best defenses, althought the Davey match was better. Although, I think the 8th Anny show was probably the first must see show, but that's mainly due to my love of Black vs Aries, which I have at ****3/4 believe it or not.

#5,750 ·
And the hate for Excellent is not just because he's out-of-shape and a horrible comedy wrestler and all around awful and steals whatever move he saw watching puro on youtube before the match. He's so sloppy that at least 5 or 6 times they've had to stop a match or attend to a guy afterwards because he's injured them in some way. All around probably the worst guy on the indies right now.

#5,752 ·
I hate B-Boy, he's like a low rent untrained version of Homicide, his own Mother probably tells people that he's not her son. Sorry I have to attack terrible wrestlers when I see their names dropped, same goes with guys like Otunga and Rob Terry.

Reactions: McQueen
#5,771 ·
ROH Buffalo Stampede II Review

Delirious vs. Ernesto Osiris
I don't remember the last time I've actually seen Osiris wrestle. They really didn't do anything bad in this match but it really wasn't all that interesting either. Classic heel vs. face match as most of the offense that Osiris got in was from cheating.

The crowd was also really really dead for this match to until the end which didn't help matters. It wasn't a bad match but it just came across as really basic.
*3/4

10 Minute Hunt
Eddie Edwards vs. Tyson Dux
So this idea for the 10 Minute Hunt really could have worked well and created some fantastic undercard matches of they were done right. This match doesn't really show why though. They kept things slow which while it wasn't bad what they did in the ring Dux should have been going all out from the start because he only had 10 minutes. In fact having someone go all out for 10 minutes against a good worker like Edwards could have made for a bunch of good undercard matches. ROH also needs to fire whoever thought it was a good idea to make an announcement every minute as it managed to make a short match drag.

Things did pick up towards the end of the match and it almost made up for the stupidity of having Dux wrestle so slow early on, to the point where he was wasting time between holds. Nice little match that could have been a hell of a lot better if they worked around the stipulation right. As far as I'm concerned Dux was right when he described himself as "solid" in his promo before the match.
**1/2

Shawn Daivari w/Prince Nana and Osiris vs. Colt Cabana

Got to love Griz on commentary staying in character by saying that being in the Embassy in just as bad as being a terrorist. Colt and Nana being out there also pretty much ensured that this would at the very least be entertaining. Whether it was Nana screaming at the ref that Colt was using clothes fists after an obvious open hand slap or Nana talking about his Twitter conversations with Colt it was funny. Colt's best line had to be when he told the crowd not to laugh that it was the "Arab against the Jew."

This was pretty much the classic face vs. heel match. You have the anti-American heel, 2 heel managers at ringside that get involved all the times, and a fun loving babyface that everybody loves. Good match.
**3/4

Roderick Strong vs. Pee Wee
Why would you name your character Pee Wee? It doesn't exactly scream successful wrestling career to me, it also doesn't make me think that this guy should be filling for Davey Richards.

I guess ROH figured that they should give a local guy a chance and see if he could work a match with a big name like Strong. I still don't think that was a good enough reason not to have Strong just murder Pee Wee in a Morishima like fashion. Instead we just saw Strong kick his ass for most of the match with some offense from Pee Wee actually thrown in. I'll give Pee Wee credit about the fact that he can take an as kicking fairly well but his offense didn't really impress me all that much (besides the fact that he shouldn't have got any offense in or very very little in).

Longer than it should have been and there was no reason to put Wee Pee over like this (I mean what has done since this match in ROH?). It wasn't terrible though but it was Strong trying to have a good match with someone that just isn't on his level.

Up in Smoke vs. The Kings of Wrestling w/ Shane Hagadorn

So we have Claudio working with TWO smaller guys. Well it's pretty much a lock that this will be a good match.

They really worked this the best way possible. Up in Smoke got their asses handed to them virtually the entire time so when they finally got the high speed offense going it was pretty awesome. Their lack of size really allowed Claudio to look like a freak. I mean when you have a grown man laying on his belly and you just grab him and lift all the way to a German Suplex it's pretty damn impressive.

I loved how all the offense that Cheech and Cloudy got in just looked so desperate and there were a few times when you had that, "Can they really pull this off?" thought in your head. Rooting for the underdog is always fun and when one of the best tag teams in the world is involved (KOW, no offense to Cheech and Cloudy) it has to make for a really good match.
***1/2

Kenny Omega vs. Austin Aries

"Pin me once shame on me. Pin me twice shame on you." I've been trying to comprehend these words of wisdom from Kenny Omega for some time and I can only conclude that Omega is just on a different level then I am.

I hate to say it but Aries has really taken a step backwards as far as his in ring work is concerned. I mean this was a good match and all but I would have thought these guys would be capable of having a much better match. My biggest problem is that they just went at this constant pace the whole time and never slowed it down or quickened the pace at all during the course of the match. They also spent too much time brawling on the floor for my liking.

It had a few nice spots thrown in (the last move of the match was incredible) but I was just expecting more. Dead crowd probably didn't help either.
**3/4

The Briscoes vs. All Night Express w/"The World's Greatest Manager" Austin Aries
The fact this match was the opener for the past 2 NYC shows speaks volumes to how important this show really... The match itself was very good though and ANE is turning into one of the better tag teams in ROH. They aren't top tier KOW or American Wolves yet but I would put them ahead of a lot of the other teams in ROH at this point.

They didn't go out and tear the house down or anything but I didn't see any bothces during the entire match. Very fun match but I still felt like they were holding back.

Tyler Black vs. Steve Corino
"I would break you and then I might get the aids." This was easily the best part of the rather lengthy promo that Corino cut before the match.

I liked the clash of styles in this one. In Black you just have the guy that defines the style that we see today in most indy companies and on the other hand you have the "King of Old School." It was fun to see all the classic heel actions actually used in ROH, and even funnier when Corino got caught cheating.

Some good stuff with Corino working the leg and throwing some bombs at Tyler Black from time to time. I ended up really liking this one a lot and my MOTN, for what it's worth. I really hope they keep Corino around even if Steen ends up leaving ROH for a while.
***1/2

Well not the best show but I would have bought Death Before Dishonor even if this show hadn't come with it so I can't really complain about a free show.

Bonus Match from Proving Grounds Night 1:

Davey Richards vs. Tyler Black
Davey actaully playing the role of a heel kept things from being too indyriffic, which was a good thing in this case. They still beat the shit out of each other as much as you would expect, which was awesome but I also liked the parts of the match where Davey, along with Larry Sweeney, was heeling it up. I'm just not used to seeing him do things like spitting in someone's face and then running away.

Good finishing stetch too, which was really helped by the fact that I had no idea who would win. The best match on this disc. It did a good job of making me look forward to seeing their DBD Match.
***3/4

#5,822 ·
Bonus:
- World Tag Team Title Match: Jay and Mark Briscoe vs. Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black- Final Battle 2007 12/30/07
- Tyler Black vs. Bryan Danielson- ROH on HDNet Episode 18
- Tyler Black vs. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega- Bound By Hate 11/8/08

Wow. I didn't even see that when I looked at the set. That is insane. The card is not incredilly strong but throwing all those extras on makes for one incredible set.

#5,851 ·
JAPW - Notorious Thunder

DJ Hyde vs. Rhett Titus - DUD
Seriously, why the hell was this even on the show?

JAPW Light Heavyweight Title
Bandido Jr vs Devon Moore - *1/2

JAPW Women's Title
Sara Del Rey vs Annie Social - *1/2

Garden State Gods vs Sami Callihan & Chris Dickinson - *
No one cared about the promos, no one cared when Callihan got "injured", no one cared about the two on one with a million blown spots and horrible double-teams and no one cared about Callihan coming back.

Eddie Kingston vs. Steve Corino - *
Neither really gave a crap about this. Guess they watched the match before and said "Why bother?".

JAPW Tag Team Titles
The Heavy Hitters vs. The South Side Playaz Club - **
Don't know what it says when the highlight of the show so far is Jersey skanks dancing in the aisle and the ring.

#1 Contenders Gauntlet
Kevin Steen vs. Nick Gage vs. El Generico vs. Egotistico Fantastico - **1/4
Highlight was Steen taking his balloons and leaving ringside. Also strangely want to see a Gage/Steen match for.

JAPW NJ State Title/Heavyweight Title - Double Jeopardy Match
Charlie Haas & Dan Maff vs. The Hillbilly Wrecking Crew (Brodie Lee & Necro Butcher) - **1/2

Jushin Thunder Liger vs Homicide - ***1/2

Yeah, pretty much every Jersey All Pro Show ever. Just like other feds seem to bring out the best, JAPW always manages to make cards worse then they should be.

#5,894 · (Edited)
Almost forgot to post my latest stuff I made for Northeast Wrestling (via Highspots). They're both pretty generic, but I guess that's how they prefer it.

This second one required some editing until they were happy with it, see which one you like best.

Tunderslam, third and final version:

#5,914 ·
#5,965 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.