death before dishonor IV

Seth Delay v Delirious - *3/4
Colt Cabana/Jay Lethal v Jimmy Rave/Sal Rinauro w/Daizee Haze - **1/4
Pure title – Nigel McGuinness (c) v Roderick Strong - ***3/4
Irish Airborne v The Briscoes - ***
AJ Styles v Davey Richards - ***1/2
ROH title – Bryan Danielson (c) v Sonjay Dutt - ***1/4
CAGE OF DEATH - ROH Vs. CZW - *****

What a great show. We've got some solid under card matches, that are all worth watching if you skip the first two. You get a lot of Nigel vs. strong and Richards vs. Styles, but the big deal here is the main event. There's no better atmosphere to have taken place in an ROH wrestling ring than the one found here. I even put this above Kobashi vs. joe when it comes to atmosphere and actually feeling like you're watching something big unfold. The booking in this match is Gabe at his absolute finest. There could be a novel written about this match, as the story going on in this octo-maddness of a cage is just so fascinating, so brilliantly told and yet so brutally expressed. In ROH's top 5 matches for me.

#424 · (Edited)
CZW:Tournament of Death VIII

Fire Match: Nick Gage vs. Deranged **
Thumbtack Kick Pads: xOMGx vs. Scotty Vortekz vs. Drake Younger ***
Barber Wire Boards & Light Tube Bundles: Toby Klein vs. WHACKS *1/2
Pane In The Glass: Dysfunction vs. Danny Havoc ***
Tables, Chairs & Silverware: Jon Moxley vs. Brain Damage **
Cinderblocks & Light Tubes: DJ Hyde vs. Thumbtack Jack ***1/4
Fans Bring The Weapons: Nick Gage vs. Jon Moxley vs. Scotty Vortekz **3/4
Fans Bring The Weapons: WHACKS vs. Danny Havoc vs. Thumbtack Jack ***
Alex Colon vs. Tyler Veritas 3/4*
Devon Moore vs. Greg Excellent 3/4*
Sami Callihan vs. Trent Acid *3/4
Light Tubes & Panes Of Glass: Nick Gage vs. Thumbtack Jack **1/4

CHIKARA:Behind the 8 Ball

2.0 vs. Incoherence **
Nevaeh vs. SharkGirl *
Escorpion Egipcio vs. Helios **1/4
Player Uno, Hydra, Vin Gerard & Buck Hawke vs. Player Dos, Brodie Lee, Tim Donst & STIGMA **3/4
Shadow Phoenix vs. Gran Akuma ***1/4
F.I.S.T. vs. The Colony ***1/4
Colin Delaney vs. Equinox ***
Osirian Portal vs. Jigsaw & Mike Quackenbush ***1/4

#425 ·
Hey. Maybe somebody can help me with this. I've been buying up ROH dvds and I'm not having too much trouble finding what I need. But a friend in California got me into PWG. Problem is, the first seven shows are sold out at pwg.com and rohwrestling.com, and I haven't seen them on Ebay. So, does anybody know why only these particular dvds seems to be hard to get, and if anyone knows where I might be able to get them?

#440 ·
I think these DVDs were released by Smart Mark Video and than PWG switched to Highspots. I have some of the early shows that I found on ebay and they really aren't all that great. The crowds were really small and they were in some crappy venues. Plus some of the shows have no commentary. No commentary + small quiet crowd = bad

If you are really desperate to see them than Smart Mark sells them on VHS. You could always just make your own copies onto DVD.

http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/Pro-Wrestling-Guerrilla/?page=5

I would reccomend Tango and Cash personally as the matches were good enough to overcome the lack of commentary. Badass Mother 3000 is ok, night 2 is much better than night 1 and Joey Ryan and Super Dragon have a really good match from what I can remember with a sick bump at the end.

#428 ·
The only other place I could suggest you check is ebay.

ROH Joe vs. Punk II

Davey Andrews vs. TJ Dalton N/R

Jay Lethal vs. Delirious

Tracy Brooks vs. Daizee Haze

Four Corner Survival

Josh Daniels vs. Angel Dust vs. Trent Acid vs. Matt Sydal

Nigel McGuinness and Chad Collyer vs. Dan Maff and BJ Whitmer **¼

Carnage Crew vs. Davey Andrews and TJ Dalton ½*

Roderick Strong and Jack Evans vs. Homicide and Rocky Romero **¾

I Quit Match
Alex Shelley vs. Jimmy Jacobs ***¾-****

ROH World Title Match

Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk *****

Overall: There are really only 3 reasons to watch this show. The main event obviously being one, the surprisingly great I Quit match and for the segment with Steamboat and Foley. Seeing them take shots at each other, Flair and Funk was seriously awesome and even more awesome then that was Steamboat calling The Carnage Crew "A bunch of dickheads" for interrupting the McGuinness/Collyer vs. Maff/Whitmer match.

#429 ·
PWG Giant-Sized 4th Annual

Ronin vs. TopGun Talwar - *1/4
The Human Tornado vs. Tony Kozina - **
The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) & TJ Perkins vs. Scott Lost, Bino Gambino & Karl Anderson - ***1/2
Davey Richards vs. Gergal Devitt - ***
Scorpio Sky vs. Joey Ryan - Street Fight - ***
Austin Aries vs. Rocky Romero - ***1/4
Bryan Danielson vs. Necro Butcher - ***3/4
PWG Tag Titles: PAC & Roderick Strong (c) vs. El Generico & Kevin Steen - ****1/4
PWG Title: El Generico (c) vs. Bryan Danielson - ****1/2

I was here live -- it was an incredible show. The final three matches really put this show into overdrive as far as awesomeness goes and IMO, on both an emotional and physical level, this is the definitive PWG show to own.

#430 ·
ROH Supercard of Honor IV

Erick Stevens vs Rhett Titus - **1/4

Chris Hero, Eddie Edwards & Incognito vs Kevin Steen, Jay Briscoe & Magno - ***

Roderick Strong vs Katsuhiko Nakajima - ***1/2

El Generico vs Claudio Castagnoli vs Blue Demon Jr vs Brent Albright - **3/4

Bryan Danielson vs Alex Kozlov - ***3/4-****
~This was really fun, I enjoyed the heck out of it. Wasn't enough action to give it a higher rating, but it was certainly a great match.

Colt Cabana vs Dlo Brown - **3/4

KENTA vs Davey Richards - ****1/2
~Fantastic. I woudn't go the Full Five, purely because at times it seemed like an exhibition, focusing on 'movez' rather than storytelling, but the closing segment was brilliantly done. And I wasn't too bothered by the obvious edit to the finish.

Jimmy Jacobs & Austin Aries vs Tyler Black & Necro Butcher - ***

Nigel McGuinness vs Jerry Lynn - ****
~Nigel's selling, legit or otherwise, was brilliant and really added another level to this match. Lynn was no slouch either.

#431 ·
SMV Best On The Indies: Lightning Strikes - The Mike Quackenbush Story Vol. 2

IWA-MS 9/23/05
Mike Quackenbush vs. Alex Shelley - ***1/2

Chikara 3/31/06
Mike Quackenbush vs. Ares - **3/4

Chikara 7/22/06
Gran Akuma vs. Mike Quackenbush - ***1/4

IWA-MS 9/30/06
Mike Quackenbush vs. Claudio Castagnoli - ****

IWA-DS 3/3/07
Hallowicked vs. Mike Quackenbush - ***1/2

Chikara 2/17/07
Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw & Shane Storm vs. Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin & Sonjay Dutt - ****

Chikara 2/18/08
Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw & Shane Storm vs. Pantera, Lince Dorado & Sicodelico, Jr. - ***3/4

IWA-DS 5/5/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Sal Rinauro - ***1/4

FSM 5/11/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Tiger Mask IV - ***1/2

Chikara 5/26/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Chris Hero - ****1/4

Chikara 6/24/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Shayne Hawke - ***1/4

Chikara 8/5/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Black Tiger IV - ***3/4

Chikara 8/18/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Akira Raijin - **3/4

Chikara 9/22/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Tim Donst - ***

Michinoku Pro 10/12/07
Mike Quackenbush vs. Shibaten - ***

Chikara 3/2/08
Mike Quackenbush, Shane Storm & Jorge Rivera vs. Pantera, Lince Dorado & Incognito - ***3/4

wXw 3/7/08
Mike Quackenbush vs. Bryan Danielson - ****

wXw 3/8/08
Mike Quackenbush vs. Johnny Saint - ****

Chikara 5/24/08
Mike Quackenbush & Shane Storm vs. Osirian Portal - ***3/4

Chikara 7/13/08
Mike Quackenbush vs. Shane Storm - ***1/2

Chikara 11/8/08
Mike Quackenbush vs. Johnny Saint - ***1/2 - ***3/4

Good collection of matches and the best interview since Eddie Kingston's make this the best of the recent comps SMV has released (Delirious, Cannon, Claudio, Jacobs, Knuckles, Younger, Taylor). The interview is great if you're interested in the beginnings of Chikara and their struggles, his concussion in the TPI and trip to Japan, and the partnering of the Chikara and CZW wrestling schools.

Reactions: WillTheBloody
#432 ·
Definately picking this up. Have you seen any part of Vol. 1 and if so is it also worth getting?

#433 ·
No I was going to pick that up when I had more money and there wasn't a must own dvd I wanted.

Oh, and PWG's DDT4 2009 is out now, so I'll be sure to pick that up.

#437 ·
Ya, IVP has been getting less and less updates. I was worried something shady was going down. It is working for me right now, but I hope nothing is going down for them.

This isn't really indy DVD related but it is post worthy. So I was watching wrestling with my girlfriend, only the second time in ten months, and she was totally digging it and like asking questions not only about wrestling, but about how kayfabe works and what things are like backstage. She decided that of everything I showed Chikara has her favorite product, and more importantly, my girlfriend thinks Bryan Danielson is hot. Like, to the point of having him as her computer background. The perfect woman if you ask me...

Reactions: erikstans07
#438 ·
The Dragon's Den - British Wrestling Classics vol. 2

British Wrestling Classics vol. 2

You can get this beauty at IVP Videos.com for all of $3 US.

This is actually my first foray into the World of Sport, British style of the 80s. I’ve heard great things, so let’s see how it holds up.

Episode 1

World Heavy Middleweight Championship: Marc Rocco © vs. Dynamite Kid - ****1/2

Yes, that’s actually the title’s name. This is from well after Kid made his name in Canada but before he shacked up with the WWF, as you might be able to tell from his size. And this match...oh boy this match. Anyone who liked the Finlay vs. Benoit matches should check this out especially, because it’s almost like a blueprint. They fight over every hold, not giving each other so much as an inch. Then, when they amp things up, every move is crisp, every strike hard. It’s a downright war of attrition. They also know how to work the round system to their advantage, using it to build suspense.

But it’s not all counters and hard hitting. We all know the Dynamite Kid can put together a match, but Rocco is just as good in that regard. They build things around Kid being a younger, faster, better wrestler than Rocco which seriously puts his title in danger. Making this more frustrating for the champ is that Kid is on loan from Stampede in Canada, which means a title win will send the belt over with him. So Rocco does the best he can but he can’t outwrestle the Kid, and he can’t outfight him, so he ends up bending the rules to even things out. It starts with a vicious kick to the face in the second round out of frustration, and continues with him keeping holds on after the bell and with Dynamite in the ropes, as well as attacking him while he enters the ring and immediately upon the bell. The desperation shown by the champ along with the awesome comebacks and control segments by Dynamite has everyone looking for a new champ, and while the double countout finish isn’t particularly satisfying, it fits the build of intensity preceding it well enough to work within the context of the match. Rocco doesn’t beat Dynamite, but he keeps his title. There’s an easy setup here for the rematch on the second half of this disc, and I already can’t wait to see it.

Dynamite Kid vs. Marty Jones - ****1/2

Jones is the Heavyweight champion, but this isn’t a title match. It is two falls to win though. It’s a little alarming how quickly Dynamite grew, in retrospect. Speaking of Dynamite, he’s a nasty fucker in this. Jones dominates him early on, being much more powerful and knowing how to use that to his advantage. Dynamite is less used to facing opponents with a significant power advantage, so he gets frustrated and basically ends up using the same sort of tactics seen from Rocco in the last match, only with more blatant cheating. The whole match is great, with Jones getting a quick pinfall with a rollup just as Dynamite’s getting control in the third round, leading to a frenzied Dynamite using every trick, legal or not, to regain the advantage. The use of the Diving Headbutt was tremendous since it’s illegal here, but Dynamite escapes a public warning and hits a simple slam to tie things up while Jones is still dazed. The finishing stretch is great, with each guy doing everything they can to get the fall, and Jones BARELY pulling out the win over the punk Dynamite. Seriously though, heel Dynamite RULES and while I didn’t like this match quite as much as the one previous on the whole, it had a better closing stretch and a more satisfying finish. Call it even.

Episode 2

Roy Regal vs. Marty Jones - **1/2

Today you might know Roy better as William Regal. This is six, five minute rounds. Two falls to win. Regal gets a one fall handicap, and is all of 18 at this point. Apparently this is his televised debut. It’s not at all bad, very weird to see a nice clean match after the last two brought the violence. Marty is taking it pretty easy, but Regal keeps up with him pretty nicely despite being fairly green at this point. You can see the makings of his later greatness even when they haven’t quite manifested fully yet. Unfortunately, the match never gets too far as it’s stopped suddenly in the second round when Regal takes a dropkick way too hard in the face and fails to meet the 10 count. Except it looks like it was very legit, as they stop the match entirely. A disappointing finish, but a good showing on the whole from Regal and a great carry job by Jones.

Owen Hart/Ross Hart vs. Dave Finlay/Rocky Moran - **3/4

Owen is only 18 at this point. Finlay is the same Finlay who loves to fight in WWE. Incidentally, you can also thank him for the improvement of Trish Stratus and the women’s division on the whole around that time. This has a 20 minute time limit, with two falls to win. Despite being very young, Owen shines in this match. Everything he does is really crisp and well executed and he plays the face in peril very, very well. It’s not just that though. His work stands out as being more dynamic than everyone else’s. Finlay stands out on the other end, generally being a vicious prick and earning the first warning of the match by attacking Owen without a tag. It’s no surprise they went on to be the biggest stars in this one.

The falls go pretty well. Owen starts building some fire against Moran but gets caught with a victory roll by Moran for the first. Moran tries to keep the pressure on in the second, but Owen leaps up to the top, backflips off, then hits a bridging German Suplex on the shocked Moran for the second fall. See what I mean about dynamic? The third fall is where things really pick up, with Finlay bringing some nasty offense to Ross. Ross manages to tag Owen, and the end of the fall is a nice nod to the second with Owen flipping off the top only to be hit with an elbow strike and a nice Samoan Drop to give Finlay the third fall. Some really nice tag work by guys who would go on to become bigger stars with time.

Marc Rocco vs. Dynamite Kid - ****1/2

Awesome. This is a rematch I think, and Rocco’s still the World Heavy Middleweight Champion which you could tell even without the order by the slap Rocco delivers before the bell. 6 rounds, two falls. It’s on. The announcers mention Rocco and Marty Jones are rivals, and I *need* to see those matches. These guys just tear into each other here. It’s got all the crispness and storytelling you’d expect, but they’re going at triple speed right from the bell, and the warning don’t take long to pile up. There’s some incredible bumping and violence, with Rocco taking the first fall early after basically beating the shit out of Dynamite and hitting a nasty Vertical Suplex. Things just pick up from there, when Dynamite gets his second warning via the SICKEST top rope knee drop I’ve seen. It pays off though, with Dynamite getting the second fall with a nasty Backdrop. He keeps up the momentum with a Tombstone, Diving Headbutt, and a wicked Gutwrench Suplex. With the win, Dynamite earns another shot at the Middleweight belt. Awesome. I could watch these two wrestle for months. This one may not be as technically good as the last bout, but it’s more intense, violent, and awesome with a better finish. So it’s a wash.

Final thoughts: If you haven’t seen WoS era British Wrestling, you’re missing out. It’s some of the best mat based work around. It’s easy to see why so many of the greats started out there, or at least passed through at some point. If you’re looking for a schooling in it, this is a great starting point with many names even the most casual fans would recognize along with some of the best of that time. Must see.

DVD Rating: 9/10

#439 ·
Lovin my PWG Sells Out DVD right now :)

PWG Giant-Size Annual #4 (7/29/07)

PWG World Tag Team Championship
PAC & Roderick Strong (c) vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico ****1/4

PWG World Championship
El Generico (c) vs. Bryan Danielson ****1/4
First of all, awesome booking. Perfect way to pull off such an epic impromptu match. Such a brutal match, seemed to be pretty stiff. The crowd loved it, I loved it, you would love it too.

#443 ·
That British Wrestling Classics set looks pretty fucking awesome. I will have to add it to my next order from there. I plan putting in my next Order in real late July so I can take advantage of some sales. 35 dvds for $65 is pretty damn incredible.

#444 ·
I watched Nakanishi vs. Tanahashi from the Dominion Show and while it was clipped (Only 19 of the 30 Minutes was shown) it was pretty awesome and on the level of their last match. I feel in my honest opinion that Hiroshi Tanahashi is one of the most complete wrestlers in Japan if not the World today. He made Nakanishi look like a million bucks (even had him jumping around and shit) and the crowd was on fire the entire match. I'm really looking forward to his title defense against Sugiura on the 20th.

Hopefully a full version of this match is released soon

#447 ·
wXw 16 Carat Gold 2009

Night One

Sami Callihan vs. Dan Paysan vs. Tommy End vs. Sha Samuels
**1/2

Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Martin Stone

Drake Younger vs. Adam Polak

Steve Douglas vs. Tatsuhito Takaiwa

Bryan Danielson vs. Doug Williams
***3/4

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Terry Frazier

Big Van Walter vs. Erick Stevens
**3/4

Shingo vs. Absolute Andy
***1/4

Tyler Black vs. Chris Sabin
***1/2

Night Two

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Bryan Danielson
***1/2+

Steve Douglas vs. Daisuke Sekimoto
**1/2

wXw World Lightweight Title – Elimination Rules
Tommy End vs. Dan Paysan vs. Chris Sabin vs. Emil Sitoci

***1/4

Drake Younger vs. Big van Walter
**1/2

Sami Callihan vs. Erick Stevens

Tyler Black vs. Shingo

The Kartel (Frazier & Samuels) & Takaiwa vs. Matin Stone, Doug Williams & Absolute Andy

wXw World Heavyweight Title
Bad Bones vs. Bryan Danielson

****1/4

Night Three

Shingo vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
***1/2

Drake Younger vs. Steve Douglas

wXw Street Fight
Stevens & Stone vs. The Kartel

Sternau vs. Dan Paysan
*1/2

wXw World Lightweight Title
Tommy End vs. Tatsuhito Takaiwa

**3/4

wXw World Heavyweight Title – Elimination Rules
Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Polak vs. Absolute Andy vs. Tyler Black

Chris Sabin vs. Doug Williams
***1/2

Sami Callihan & Big Van Walter vs. Bad Bones & Daisuke Sekimoto

Shingo vs. Drake Younger
***3/4

Overall:
Night 3 is definitely the best night imo. Night 1 is missable and Night 2 is good but with some dull parts. Danielson heeling it up to the German crowds is always fantastic and his victory speech after his world title win is excellent. Danielson/Bones was my favourite match of the Tournament. I hate wXw crowds and their production but fuck the 16 carat gold weekends are always brilliant in terms of wrestling action.

#448 · (Edited)
CHIKARA Behind the 8-Ball (4/25/09)

2.0 vs. Incoherence ***1/4

Nevaeh vs. Shark Girl **1/2

Escorpion Egipcio vs. Helios **3/4

Player Uno, Hydra, Vin Gerard & Buck Hawke vs. Player Dos, Tim Donst, STIGMA & Brodie Lee *1/4

Gran Akuma vs. Shadow Phoenix ***1/4
Oh the sloppiness. That hurt the match badly. It could have been so much better.

F.I.S.T. vs. The Colony ***1/2

Young Lions Cup Championship
Equinox (c) vs. Colin Delaney ***

2 out of 3 Falls Match for the CHIKARA Campeonatos de Parejas
The Osirian Portal (c) vs. Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw ***1/4
I think the flow to this match did not work too well. I think there wasn't enough Quack and that's bad, because it was such a long match and the other three seemed to have problems working so long. The psychology was a little off.

Overall, a solid show that's worth getting.

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XVI (5/30/09)

Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs. Nobuo Yoshihashi *

Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Togi Makabe, Wataru Inoue & Tomoaki Honma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii **3/4

Manabu Nakanishi, Yuji Nagata & Mitsuhide Hirasawa vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Kazuchika Okada ***1/2

Block A
Prince Devitt vs. Milano Collection AT ***3/4

Block B
Ryusuke Taguchi vs. YAMATO ***1/4

Block A
Tiger Mask IV vs. Atsushi Aoki **3/4

Block B
Kota Ibushi vs. Koji Kanemoto ***3/4

I watched it all out of order, but seems like a pretty good show. Worth checking it out.

#449 ·
Random comment: I love Louden Noxious. His entrance theme montage medley gets better every time I watch it.

Also, erikstans, why the comment of sloppiness on the Akuma-Phoenix match? I just re-watched Behind the 8 Ball, and while I probably overrated it originally, it was still my favorite match on the show. It got a little sloppy at points, but not as much as, say, Helios-Escorpion or the main event. Plus, it was the only match all night that the crowd was really hot for based solely on the actual match.

Finally, I decided today that the Order of the Neo Solar Temple is just the Age of the Fall, only all CHIKARA'd up. Mantis = Jimmy Jacobs, Crossbones = Tyler Black, Hydra = Necro Butcher, Tim Donst = Austin Aries, Delirious = Delirious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.