Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#971 ·
also since i love to run so much i will up my eating to around 10 times a day 2 or 3 meals of carbs like pasta or wheat bread with a chicken breast cause of course all this running is buring alot of calaries and not to many carbs will make the protein store as fat as stated above

#982 ·
#983 · (Edited)
hi all i got a question i work out 4 times a week i do legs one day along with back on the same day then biceps and shoulders the next day then chest triceps the next i currently take gnc 100 percent whey protein 20 grams of protein. i take hydroxycut advanced and n.o xplode.

my diet is eating 6 times a day grilled chicken with vegys. i do cardio 5 times a week about 5 miles a day my goal is to get cut i am 177 pounds right now is this good what i am doing any advice please i want to cut body fat to show the muscles

this is why i am on a low carb diet just about 100 grams a day maybe less until i start to bulk again which i will take weight gainer but do cardio when i am on the gainer and contuine with the hydroxycut

#986 ·
Right, I'm going away at the end of June, so I'm going to do a 30 day programme to keep in shape. I won't be going to the gym as I don't have the time, so mini workouts at home with minimal weights I have will be sufficient enough. I'd thought I would post my diet workout, not to really gain weight/size, just sort my shape out a little and keep my body looking alright for the summer.

Diet
Morning: 3 to 4 eggs
Snack: 2 pieces of Wholemeal bread
Lunch: Tuna salad.
Snack: Fruit/Beef Jerky
Dinner: Salmon/Steak/Chicken with green vegetables

Packs around 100g protein a day. If your having a protein shake too, it could be pushed up to 150g. Remember this is nothing intense, hardcore etc. merely to eat healthy and stay in shape for the summer.

Workout
Morning: 10 mins bike, 100 sit ups, 100 press ups
Afternoon: 15kg dumbbell curls 3 x 12. 30kg barbell curl 3 x 12. 30kg barbell shoulder press 3 x 12. 30kg barbell upright curls 3 x 12.
Night: 10 mins bike, 100 sit ups, 100 press ups

Nothing intense. I will probably raise the weight up by 10 to 15kg depending how I feel. I won't see dramatic effects, I know, it's better than jack shit though.

Supplements
Creatine Ethyl Ester HCL - 100g
BCAA - 100g
Whey Protein - 5lb

Creatine will help store more ATP and aid muscle growth. BCAA helps rebuilt muscle tissue quicker. Whey protein goes without saying too.

Once I come back from holiday, I will start a proper programme. More concentration on eating and more focus on all aspects of the body. Allocating a day of the day to a part of the body. Just thought I'd throw this out to some of you guys if you are interested in a little read. Recommendations, help, feedback is all welcome.

#990 ·
Spartacus Workout

3 days per week
3 sets per session
1 set in succession allowing 15 seconds to move to different workout
2 minutes rest in-between each set

1. Goblet Squat
2. Single-Arm Dumbbell Swing
3. Split Jump
4. Dumbbell Side Lunge and Touch
5. Dumbell Lunge and Rotation
6. Mountain Climber
7. T-Pushup
8. Dumbbell Row
9. Pushup-Position Row
10. Dumbbell Push Press

60 reps on each workout/exercise. They say to use a weight that is challenging after 15-20 reps. If you can't go the full distance, wait a few seconds for going again.

If you want to know what a certain exercise is, just ask and I'll try to explain.

#992 ·
Well you are working 10 minutes flat out, and you have to do it 3 times. So the session would be around 30 minutes of solid work (breaks included). I have yet to do it but I'm guessing its super hard, but I like a challenge. Not forgetting how heavy the weights are. If you like a challenge, and have time to do this workout I would recommend it. Some exercises require no equipment at all and its all about pushing yourself for 1 minute/60 reps.

#994 ·
All depends how weak your are? Can you bench the 40kg easily or is it an absolute struggle. Also, you have a dumbbell or just a barbell? I have a few exercises you could try out but that means eating right too. Can't just work out and then to down pub and has 5 pints and a kebab.

#1,000 ·
haha dude, one of the chicks in my uni course has a 10RM of 50kg.

Take up BJJ it smashes your core to bits lol!

I do that and football (soccer) for my running twice a week. I can't just run it has to have a purpose or else it gets boring.

Also when I worked in my local gym cycling and Swimming toned me up when on a low/little to nothing carb diet.

*edit*

sugars are important for this though otherwise your muscles will eat themselves lol. With the latic acid I presume, it's called metabolic or something.
sugars are carbohydrates so either you weren't on a low carb diet (which is pretty bad and won't cause fat loss) or you were and you're just talking out of you ass during the 2nd part (which you are as well ;)). Breakdown of muscles is called catabolism, as opposed to anabolism which is the construction of molecules from their consituant parts. Metabolism is the general overview term that is for the chemical reactions that take place in the body, thus catabolism and anabolism are metabolic processes.

I don't mind swimming to keep fit but I knew a mate who did it as a normal sport, 5 or 7 days a week (cant remember) day and night. It's just constant swimming lengths over and over again, I couldn't think of a more boring training routine, so tedious and boring. It develops though (as I've heard or something on the lines of this) a different kind of muscle compared to weight training and such. He would swim every day and then play rugby for us on the weekend. He would just totally break down. He kept going down injured and asking for muscle rubs and you could see he had a definition from swimming, but it seemed as if he kept a layer of fat with prevented the definition. This kid was a fine, fine rugby player too. I'd swim to keep fit but not on a permanent 3 hour a day morning and night basis.
swimming is primarily stressing your aerobic energy system (depending on the distance obviously) and isn't a resistance based exercise (well it is kinda b/c water has a higher resistance than air but not the same as doing weights) thus your muscles aren't going to hypertrophy. Either way it shouldn't really affect how often he gets injured unless he's playing rugby while his muscles are fatigued and weakened.

#997 ·
Take up BJJ it smashes your core to bits lol!

I do that and football (soccer) for my running twice a week. I can't just run it has to have a purpose or else it gets boring.

Also when I worked in my local gym cycling and Swimming toned me up when on a low/little to nothing carb diet.

*edit*

sugars are important for this though otherwise your muscles will eat themselves lol. With the latic acid I presume, it's called metabolic or something.

#999 · (Edited)
Haha. I'm starting it next week. They do say it's key to hit 60 reps in a minute but for your first time, you can't really complain. Some people refuse to do it at home though because they think you need hexagon dumbbells so you don't die. I;m doing this for 4 weeks before I hit holiday, as soon as I come back. Burn the alcohol from my system for another 2 weeks with this workout and then slowly implement it into a heavy weight training programme.

I don't mind swimming to keep fit but I knew a mate who did it as a normal sport, 5 or 7 days a week (cant remember) day and night. It's just constant swimming lengths over and over again, I couldn't think of a more boring training routine, so tedious and boring. It develops though (as I've heard or something on the lines of this) a different kind of muscle compared to weight training and such. He would swim every day and then play rugby for us on the weekend. He would just totally break down. He kept going down injured and asking for muscle rubs and you could see he had a definition from swimming, but it seemed as if he kept a layer of fat with prevented the definition. This kid was a fine, fine rugby player too. I'd swim to keep fit but not on a permanent 3 hour a day morning and night basis.

#1,006 ·
I don't have such a precise diet or workout regime. That doesn't mean I eat whatever shit I want, I'll just generally eat healthy with 5-6 small meals a day. My philosophy is that there have been strong men and good fighters throughout history and I doubt they all used a timetable. Hehe. =p

I do Muay Thai twice a week. Football ('soccer') Once. Lift weights and train cardio (skipping, running, hitting heavybag) on the other 4 days of the week.

I prefer the technical side of things to the lifting, but I like to keep strong and have a nice body haha. ;)

#1,010 · (Edited)
I just found this workout thread. It's pretty cool.

I wanted to ask what is the best way to lose fat from the stomach region in order to expose the packs? I do weight training 4 times a week, after each session I do a 15 minute intense cardio session. On my rest days I do some ab training at home. I only recently started the running and ab training, will this help me reach my goal?

I also need a better workout programme for my biceps and triceps. They grow quite slow. I am 5'11 and weigh 75kg, I think that's 165 lbs, or something to that effect and I am 21 years old. I started when I was 19 at which time I weighed 65kg or 143 lbs. My gains have really slowed down, This year I have grown muscle but my weight has only gone up by 2kg or something. I want to hit that 200 lbs area but I don't want to get fat hence the cardio/ab session that I have started.

Any advice on the above?

Also, Here are some basic stats for me just in case you're wondering. The weights below are my max weights but I never do all of my sets on the following weights. I usually do 4 sets and go up by 5kg each set. I usually end up doing my max during my third set, and go up on the last set by another 5kg so I end up doing my max weight + 5kg. However, this last set is usually me getting helped by my spotter a lot rather than the occassional help. I figure that the whole point is to make the muscle suffer so my last set is usually a killer set. I also do the occassional drop sets after the fourth set.

Squats; 100kg (220 lbs)
Chest; 80 kg (176 lbs)
Barbell Rows; 65kg (143 lbs)

I don't really do the deadlift, don't like it :p

EDIT:

Just to let you guys, if you want a new workout routine then get it from this site;

www.abcbodybuilding.com/

If you want to know how to do a certain exercise then find the exercise you want to learn about in this link

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/animatedexercises.html

They have animations for most exercises. So if you want to know how to do the Dumbbell Shoulder Press then find it in the above link and click it. Here is the link to the shoulder press

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/DumbellPresses/

#1,011 ·
You can't lose fat from a particular spot. Doing exercises to strengthen your core is a good thing as it can prevent postural problems and the like but you can't just do your abs, a little bit of cardio and expect to be ripped. Its just not going to happen.

Biceps and triceps are pretty small muscles in relation to your body anyway, focusing on getting big arms is such a douchebag way of thinking. You're not going to gain a large amount of muscle mass if you're not working much on your chest, back etc.

How're you going in terms of nutrition? A good diet is essential if you want to bulk.

Also how many reps do you do in each set? Do you focus any time on any other exercises than the 3 you mentioned?

#1,012 ·
You can't lose fat from a particular spot. Doing exercises to strengthen your core is a good thing as it can prevent postural problems and the like but you can't just do your abs, a little bit of cardio and expect to be ripped. Its just not going to happen.
So what do you suggest that I should do?

Biceps and triceps are pretty small muscles in relation to your body anyway, focusing on getting big arms is such a douchebag way of thinking. You're not going to gain a large amount of muscle mass if you're not working much on your chest, back etc.
Yes, I agree with that but that doesn't mean I shouldn't workout my arms just as hard. I usually do Chest, Shoulders & Triceps, Back & Biceps and Legs on separate days. It's just that I can see gains everywhere but my arms take ages. I have only put on 1/2 an inch since about 6 months! Is this normal, considering that I go gym 4 times a week?
How're you going in terms of nutrition? A good diet is essential if you want to bulk.
My nutrition is fine, I get 200 grams of protein in. Here is what I am doing at the moment;

Breakfast: 6 eggs, 2 wholemeal breads, oatmeal shake (250l of milk, 1 table spoon of peanut butter, 1 cup oatmeal, protein powder).

SNACK: Shake

Lunch: Whatever my mum made :p

SNACK: Shake

Dinner: Brown or white rice, with fish or chicken

on a workout day the dinner would come after my post workout meal which is usually a shake and pasta chicken or a shake and a baby chicken. By the way, does anyone know how much protein there is in a baby chicken?

The shake that I take is BSN True Mass. I have only been using it for 2 weeks and I am seeing really good gains with that. It's even made me stronger on my lifts.

Also how many reps do you do in each set? Do you focus any time on any other exercises than the 3 you mentioned?
The reps are usually 15, 12, 10, 8, and sometimes 6. Sometimes, if I am strong I'll do 12-15 reps on the first few sets but I'll simply keep going up in weight until I get to a point where I reach failure after 6 reps. As a rule of thumb I always try to do as many reps as I can do, if I can do 15 then I'll just put the weight back because it is way too easy. I would simply keep going up on weight until I can't handle it anymore and the next time I am in I'll start 5kg heavier than the time before.

I focus on a lot of different exercises, the three I mentioned are the bulking ones though that I can't do without.

Should I post my workout routine?

#1,013 ·
A decent cardio program will help you lose weight from your entire body, which will help to gain more definition in your abs. However mixing too much cardio into your program will inhibit your strength gains. You need to find a balance where you make a decent compromise between the 2.

Depending on how heavy your weights are, how many reps, how fast you perform them, how long you recover etc you can focus on different outcomes. Strength, power, endurance, hypertrophy. Just as a very very basic and general overview.

Strength - Heavy weights (so 85-90% 1RM), low reps (4-6), controlled medium/slow speed
Power - Heavy weights(75-85% 1RM), low reps (3-5), fast speed
Endurance - Light weights (40-60% 1RM), high reps (12+), shorter recovery time (about 90 secs)
Hypertrophy - Moderately heavy weights(65-80% 1RM), moderate-high reps (6-10), slow/medium speed

You seem to be mixing around your reps + weight too much. Have in mind a program for yourself and what you want to accomplish during each exercise, for example that you'll complete 4 sets of 6 reps doing a 100kg squat. Make sure you're completing each set properly, and when you can get 4x6 done bump up the weight next session. This enables you to set goals for yourself which is a good motivator, and a good way of tracking progress. Also don't get too hung up about lack of size gains, a lot of built blokes than throw around a large amount of weight in the gym are hopelessly disfunctional. For instance if you're playing Rugby and all you do is bench press at the gym, you'll see some big gains but its useless if you can't have a functional use for those muscles (unless you're becoming a bodybuilder where you need to look big and thats it)

#1,016 ·
First time into this thread, and I'll get to the point. I'm 16 years old, 189 cm (6'2") and weight 70 kg (155 lbs). That being said, I'm looking to get into shape, because I'm tired of being some weird, lanky ginger.

Any advice that you guys have on getting into shape would be very helpful. Simple stuff to start off, obviously (Don't suggest the gym, either. I'm broke. :()

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.