Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#655 ·
Here is a question for everybody that involves with the diet I am currently going threw.. it says NOT TO EAT MOST FAST FOOD, would barbequed burgers count? Because I would guess I would get lots of protein, and I am going to plan on running on the treamill tomorrow for atleast 30 minutes.

#657 ·
ok, thanks.. I think I will have just one burger.. I am going out for a run before and after.. also going to be training on my punching bag I just got a little while ago :)

Reactions: bruteshot74
#658 · (Edited)
Not going to lie bud, you should not be on a diet at all. You are going into high school which would mean you are like 15-16 years old and said you weigh under 130. Still got plenty of growing to do. Personally I would not worry to much what you are eating because you sound like myself. I was a bit heavier then that but really did not start to gain until I started to go hard at working out. Even now I still do not gain, but muscle has come in good which is the goal in the end for me anyway.

So eat as many fucking burgers as you want.

I lol'd at the guy wanting fat injected into himself. Don't be stupid.

#663 ·
Thanks for the advice :p

Guess what, WE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE BURGERS :(

Instead we had chicken breasts and Ceaser Salad :) yum.. after I went for a 20 minute run.. going to do a short workout session now before I go to bed..

#665 ·
Smith Machine Bench Press? That's the one with the hooks that you could rack a lot easier?

Smith Machine is easier as the weight load is a lot softer on the joints and it's simpler to establish a good pace/momentum on the Smith Machine as well.

#668 ·
It depends on how long you exercise and if you eat healthy all the time. Try to do different kind of exercises besides for ther abs, but you can continue on with them. In getting a good body I believe there are a few steps first, including consistency but also inconsistency. So keep up with your normal exercises, but try to add something a little different into it once in a while.

I need your guy's help on something.

I normally exercise outside playing basketball, a few weeks ago i started to notice that my right calf was getting really tight/sore at around where your socks would be, and it tends to up about half way my calf on the left side. I usually don't pay much attention to stuff like this becuase it will normally go away once i stop playing .And it did that for a little bit. But then it would start to hurt when i would do things like walk to the store and back. So i took a few days off to rest it and it felt better. but today i go out and it starts to tighten up on me again.

It doesn't sound like anything is severely wrong but it does suck. So is there anything i need to do, take time off, not exercise as rigorously, or see a doctor?
Growing pains? I mean if your older then it can't be growing pains.. but it's probably the reason if your still growing.

P.S - I just want to let everybody know about my fitness status so far, since I haven't posted in a bit.

I am now 5'9 and weigh 128 pounds.. now seeing as I am going back to school soon, I want to get into better shape then I was before.. but I decided to check my BMI to see if I was at a healthy weight, I was at a healthy weight already.. 18.5 and under would = underweight, I am just over with 18.9!

So, just wait a second.. I want to lose weight, NOT GAIN WEIGHT! I am a bit nervous because I am stuck here in two situations, either gain more weight or lose more weight.. is there anyway I can lose fat and gain abs? I am just going into my ''workout stage'' and I want to get a good body as I do have some excess fat I would love to remove, anybody want to help?

#667 · (Edited)
I need your guy's help on something.

I normally exercise outside playing basketball, a few weeks ago i started to notice that my right calf was getting really tight/sore at around where your socks would be, and it tends to up about half way my calf on the left side. I usually don't pay much attention to stuff like this becuase it will normally go away once i stop playing .And it did that for a little bit. But then it would start to hurt when i would do things like walk to the store and back. So i took a few days off to rest it and it felt better. but today i go out and it starts to tighten up on me again.

It doesn't sound like anything is severely wrong but it does suck. So is there anything i need to do, take time off, not exercise as rigorously, or see a doctor?

#670 ·
Here's something to start a conversation.
What's better, more reps with less weight or less reps with more weight?

From what I have been told, more reps with less weight helps you lose weight if you are a big individual, but say only three reps with a lot more weight would actually shape your muscles and make them look and stand out more. While if you want to lose a few kilo's you do the more reps like twenty or so with half the weight.

#674 ·
Yeah, I forgot to tell everybody about my plan to stay healthy, and gain some more muscle..

See, probably on July 25th I decided that I was going to eat what I want to eat for the next few days, until the month of August.. then I decided that for the whole next month I would workout on a schedule, I will not eat foods with trans fats, I won't eat food with high intakes on sugar, sodium, etc..

I am going to try to eat more salads, even though I have probably 2-3 meals that involve salad (mostly Ceaser) a week. I understand that garden salad is more healthier for you and I will start having that with Cattalina or Ranch dressing. I am also going to try to eat more meat before workouts, including foot particles with more chlolesterol including spaghetti, one of my favorite meals. I am going to want to stay around 125-130 pounds by losing more excess fat and by gaining muscle which will add a few pounds.. so hopefully I will weigh around the same I have for a few months.. but I might be aiming for 130 lbs.

#675 ·
I remember there being a discussion involving the phrase "bodybuilders don't run" a while back on here, and I was curious about something. One side said it was because running takes away from gains and another said it was because you shouldnt run on steroids... how does one come up with that second part when a lot of high level track athletes use?

#677 ·
Bodybuilders really don't have to run but 80% do (if not more).

Theoretically, if you don't bulk and eat clean on a yearly basis then you shouldn't have to do any cardio. That is of course assuming you workout with a lot of volume or a lot of intensity.

Heavy compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, and rows keep my midsection trim. All you have to do is keep your core tight during your set and waa-lah.

But, part of me thinks that if you're serious about bodybuilding and competing, you HAVE to do cardio. You don't want your conditioning to seem weak against the world's best.

#676 ·
I did greco-roman for like 3 years, so i didn't have to worry about getting out of shape that much. Then i stopped, and that was when all the partying began, and i did pretty much nothing. Now i started with gym again, eating all the protein and shit, and i'm almost in shape again. Next goal is to gain a lot of weight.

#682 ·
You don't have to be healthy to be fit.. I mean, you can be a fking lazy couch potato and still eat good foods and do everything that leads to a healthy life style, but I guess being a couch potato would lower how healthy you are :p

Fit is having a good body.. atleast that's the main part. It means you can go fking run for a while lol.. I heard that in high school your ''major test'' is that you have to run around a 400 m course for 20 minutes.. if you run anything below, even 19 minutes.. you fail.

#683 ·
Probably a stupid question...
But should you stay away from working out if you are unwell?

I've had a kind of mild flu the past week or so, and the aches and pains/sore muscles have made me stay away from the exercise equipment in my home.
However, I'm going crazy not being able to use it! I feel like I'm gaining weight, just sitting around on my ass. Haha.

Any suggestions for light exercise I could possibly do in the mean time?
Or is that a bad idea?

#687 ·
I am in dying need of new exercises!

Anybody have exercises that will start to reveal my already starting to reveal 6 pack? I am currently on vacation and I have probably eaten the most I have in like the whole summer, and I still have maintained a weight of 127 pounds! That means I only gained 1 pound! And surely, I am going on a hike with my grandparents in a few days so hopefully that will do something.

I need exercises to reveal my 6 pack! I will green rep you if you give me good ones!

#690 ·
At 127 pounds your abs should show automatically unless you're like 5'0. You don't want any extra mass? Why the hell are you eating salads and starving yourself when you should be packing on muscle and gorging your mouth with food?

Anyways, for the two that asked questions about ab exercises/recommendations.. Look back in the thread. I've wrote up plenty of my views/concepts on what I do to keep a good mid-section.

#689 ·
hanging leg raises is the #1 ab exercise as said on Mens Health. Hang from a chinup bar (works grip too) and slowly raise your legs trying to make your knees touch your chest, then back down. DON'T SWING YOUR UPPER BODY AT ALL. If you are swinging, you are using momentum. Do 12 reps if you can, then do 3 more sets of 12.

#691 ·
Well, I am 5'8 or 5'9 and I am currently training for sports such as soccer and hockey.. I want to be more fit then I am because I feel as if I have let myself go just a tiny bit, I think that could be due to I havn't done much to none exercise. But that will change as I get back to my hometown as I will be working out everyday.

#693 ·
@ 5'8 you should definitely see a six pack and all the definition that goes along with it. You don't have a strong base and foundation. Really work on the abs to gain more muscle in that core area. Hanging leg raises, decline crunches, roman v ups, squats, deadlifts, etc,.

Basically, you don't have enough muscle if the six pack isn't showing. You're virtually 5% body fat so you need to work hard on the exercising part of it then.

#696 ·
Not at all. I sweat bullets as well while training. It doesn't even have to be cardio. Heavy weight with moderate intensity will have me drenched by the end of a workout. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Sounds like you're over thinking the situation.

Besides, most boxers are in great shape for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.