Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#1,361 ·
Bro science? Not really familiar with that expression.

I'm speaking from my experience and what has worked for me and plenty of others.

It's pretty common knowledge that you have to eat frequently and consume an adequate amount of calories if you'd like to burn fat and add mass.

#1,376 · (Edited)

I am aiming for a six pack by the summer, this is me since last Sunday, vast improvement already. No strict schedule per say: running and cardio every night, eating healthier, walking 2 miles 5 days a week (which I have been doing a while but it adds), cut down on the beer unless its a big event and crappy food in-take and generally pushing myself out of a rut I was getting into, I am only 27.

So yeah, for you fitness enthusiasts I am keeping a photo diary, welcome to check it out: HERE

#1,422 ·
You can burn fat and gain lean mass if:

1) You're starting out.
2) You're resuming training after a hiatus.
3) You have a very high BF%, in which case the body will naturally burn fat during training to increase chances of survival.

Additionally, you can achieve both at a very slow rate but a single cycle of bulking and cutting will pretty much triple those results in the same duration. So trying to lose fat while gaining muscle is actually slower.

#1,437 ·
Decided to start running again tmr as I've been eating too much of the good stuff and piling on the pounds. Will probably enter a race for like six months down the line so that I'm forced to get off my arse and train. After all no worse feeling than racing hard without having done the miles.

Anyone else here run at all? I used to compete at a pretty good standard before I just cba one day and then stopped pretty much altogether.

#1,455 ·
Am gonna finally try Jack3d for preworkout. I have being reading and hearing for over a year about this supplement and I gonna give it a shot. I usually eat a small meal (usually fish and rice) an 1 hour before I hit the gym. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Reactions: Sheik
#1,575 ·
I don't use calorie charts. I used to once but now it's pretty much instinctive. Google and you'll find useful sites. I only glanced over it. Not sure if everything is right, but here:

http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart1.html

I would've gone with oats over the almonds in the morning (I like oats, but if you don't, don't). Also 1100 calories is way too low. How are you not starving? Eating right =/= eating low. If you're satisfied for the day, then okay but tomorrow onwards I would recommend a lot more food.

I'm guessing at 200+ lbs, your daily calorie needs would equate to around 2500 (rough guess). At 1100 calories, you haven't even given your body half of what it needs.

As for what is good to eat, I'm not so strict on it as long as you don't indulge in something so much that you exceed your calorie limit. Milk and eggs are both great and should not be avoided imo. Things to avoid would be vegetable oil and other frying oils. In fact, avoid fried food if you want to make it easier. Limit sugar consumption.

However, by the way you're eating, I don't think I should be telling you what not to eat.

#1,576 ·
Everything HoL told you is right.

You need to find your maintenance caloric level first. 15 x bodyweight is a good starting point. So you're 207, meaning you're going to need roughly 3100 calories to stay at the same weight. So given that you're trying to lose some of that, I'd go with HoL's suggestion of eating 2500 cals a day, equating to a -500 caloric deficit which should yield 1-1.5lb of fat loss per week.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that if you eat as much under maintenance as possible, you'll lose more fat. You won't. In fact, your body will cling onto it much more easily as it thinks you're starving! 1100 is FAR too low. 2.5k as a starting point; weigh yourself weekly.

Good foods to eat off the top of my head ~ Oats, Eggs, Lean Meats (Chicken, Trimmed Steaks etc), Pasta, Rice, Milk, Vegetables, Fruits, Tuna, Salmon, Almonds etc

Just eat as clean as you can. Avoid junk.

You're going to want to do weights whilst your doing this also. It speeds the process up and promotes fat loss and not muscle loss. A good macro-nutrient ratio is 40% protien, 40% carbs with 20% fats (over your daily caloric intake). So thats 1g of protein per 1lb of LBM (Lean Body Mass; Weight minus Body Fat).

Eat plenty of HEALTHY fats. Omega 3 & Omega 6. Almonds, Walnuts, Salmon are king. Fish oil capsules are great. They have many benefits.

A good link for you ~

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=401681611&postcount=4389&CJAID=10409403&CJPID=3176257

Sorry I'm rambling. I just woke up so couldn't be bothered to structure this properly.

#1,639 ·
For easy starters, I'd avoid anything cooked in oil (fried), and desserts in general. If you want to get technical about it, then eat below maintenance. At 217 lbs, your maintenance should be around 3300 calories. Eat less than that to lose fat.

But at 17, I'd just focus on eating healthy and getting enough exercise. You can complicate your life later.

#1,869 ·
You could easily lose 20lb in 6 weeks, but expect some muscle loss along with some fat and water. I wouldn't recommend that.

If you want to try anyway, you're not going to do that eating -500cal below maintenance. That's a lb a week, so unless you're doing mad cardio (even then tbh), you're gonna find it hard.

#1,871 ·
Well, I don't exactly know how much I need to lose to get to where I want to be. I've gained about 10lbs the last few months but I expect that to be from the gym. I've really picked up since late July. I want to lose stomach fat. My chest has gained a more muscley tone over the last few months so I can manage that. I really just want to lose the fat. I don't have a huge gut by any means and when I wear most hoodies, jerseys, etc. you'd never expect me to have one. I'll take a hit in muscle if I must, just nothing too significant. I can easily work that back up. My main thing is just my thighs and stomach.

#2,037 ·
To lose weight you have to burn off more calories than you consume. I'd take to writing everything you eat down, calorie value, fat, carbs, everything. It's annoying as fuck at first but over time it becomes normal and you can monitor exactly what you put into your body. Running is also one of the worst types of exercises you can do. That will get me some heat, but the impact it has on your joints in the long run isn't worth it. Plus, there are better, more efficient ways to burn calories without the wear and tear on your joints. Try swimming, if you can. Works the entire body with little resistance. You need resistance of course but you can get what with your weight training.

I used to be 240 and I lost the weight by lifting 5 days a week and doing cardio 5 days a week. But what you eat is a major factor, moreso than the working out. It also depends on your body and how it reacts to things. I lose weight really quickly and am able to put on muscle very quickly, just how my body works. Also, don't do the same routine over and over again. Your body gets used to that particular type of stress and you need to shock your body with some new time of program.

#2,115 ·
Don't come around often but thought I'd bang out a multi-quote reply to deal with some stuff from the last 5 pages. Sorry if they've been answered. I saw Rush & HOL posting so they're probably setting the record straight.

Also, don't do the same routine over and over again. Your body gets used to that particular type of stress and you need to shock your body with some new time of program.
This isn't true. As long as you're progressively overloading then your muscles will adapt to that stress whether you've been doing that exercise for two weeks or two years. The only times I'd ever switch up my routine is if it's to incorporate new lifts, to motivate, or to put focus on a different aspect of hypertrophy (in which case I'll just change my rep/set ranges).

You muscles can only take 20-25g of protein per hour anyway, so just take one scoop. You'll save money and an extra scoop. Protein shakes are efficient, instant protein but if you want to pack on muscle you should be eating your protein through meats and whatnot.
None of this is true. Protein is protein, although I agree with the principle of eating whole foods as much as possible for overall nutritional balance and satiation.

SEE, shit's ridiculous. In Muscle and Fitness magazines though, they do say per lb. of body weight. That's why I always thought it was too much. why would they recommend grams for lbs. (metric to American?) and not grams to kilograms. Good thing I'm getting less.
One gram per one pound of bodyweight is a great number to aim for.

Buy weights.
This.

diet is about 70% imo. I mean you can be lean but not really ripped with diet alone. I don't count those razor skinny blokes as being ripped (abs on a skinny bloke don't count 8*D)
This. Maybe even 80%.

Personally, I've found lowering my protein and uping my carbs (still in a 500 calorie) deficit produced muscle.
What you thought happened didn't.

worst is when you fuck up one quad playing sport so no squats/leg press/lunges/etc. thats a pain.
This times a million.

Right so I realise that you can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time, but do many people do 1 week of fat burn followed by 1 week of muscle gain and keep alternating? I thought this may be a good way of doing both and it'd make the fat burning a lot easier in week long bursts.
Never do this, or you'll get nowhere. Bulk for a substantial amount of time then cut. I try to no go past 18% BF on a bulk, then I'll cut to 10%.

'Disregard fat gain; acquire bulk status'.

Does anybody know any good cardio excersises?
Running, swimming, boxing are all good.

#2,040 ·
Do some HIIT (high intensity interval training).

As walls said you need to mix up your routine to avoid getting used to the one routine. My latest goal is doing a triple k in under 20 mins. 1km row, 1km bike, 1km cross trainer. For me personally having goals like that motivates me. So while my overall goal is to lose weight, i have these other goals to keep me motivated.

#2,126 ·
For the fitness enthusiasts of you. I have started an account of my fitness work, I think I have made major, major improvements in 2 weeks! I will be damned to stop now. Please see: http://photobucket.com/beerbelly (password: exercise) for a before an after of 2 weeks and now. Obviously, if it's not your thing, don't click, don't hate - it's good for psychology and mental wellbeing :)

#2,127 ·
What a Password! I mean, it just oozes Charisman, it should be pushed into the Main Event.

no, just kidding. cool dude, always good to keep track of pictures.

#2,168 ·
^^^

deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts, deadlifts

(and rows)

#2,173 ·
Yeah, it'll all help providing you have muscle to cut down to. You should know exactly what calories you need to be losing fat (or adding muscle) each day too; so much more efficient than guessing.

Best advice is to work on your overall compound lifts and the abs will generally take care of themselves.

#2,251 ·
There's no reason why you shouldn't fix your diet and start an exercise program from Day 1.

I presume you mean weights by the way. In which case, starting on weights & sorting diet will get you the fat loss (provided you eat at deficit obv) anyway, whilst giving you the added benefit of strength gains which will help you when you go to bulk down the line.

For what it's worth, when I started, I had a terrible diet and was skinny fat. I started smashing the iron, got my calories in order and dropped 25lb of fat, then I bulked.

If I misinterpreted your question, it's because you were too vague, but I think I got it.

Cliffs : hit both from the start, no debating.

#2,257 ·
Focus on the negative movements for tris. Like on heavy barbell curls (best single upper body compound IMO), on the downwards movement, slow it the fuck down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.