Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#240 ·
So my buddies and I don't want to pay the monthly fee for the gym so one of us has a basement type room that has a weight bench, tv, mats, jump ropes, mini tramp and scale. We plan on adding a punching bag and few more stuff. We have a schedule like so:

Monday-TaeBo
Tuesday-Running
Wednesday-DoJo(Work out night)
Thursday-TaeBo
Friday-Running
Saturday-TaeBo.

For the most part we all have our reasons for doing it. Some are building weight, some is trying to lose weight, and some are training for police academy/basic training for military.

Anyways three questions:

1. What do you think we could add to the "dojo" so that we can work on?
2. I am training for the police academy. I am looking to lose weight and gain muscle. Any tips?
3. I broke my ankle a few years back and my ankle is about 85% back to what it was. I want to strengthen it. Any tips?

#241 ·
1. Are you using the Dojo for battle training ? Martial arts ?
2. Eat healthy, work out on a constant schedule and use your brain as best you can with logical reasoning, puzzles, math etc. (this is actually a good way to lose weight)
3. Rest obviously

#242 ·
Well one is currently taking boxing classes. Buddy and I are currently taking MMA training. Everybody else is really there for muscle building.

And I do rest, it just seems that the more I work out, eat healthy, and basically take care of my body, I feel like it is getting weaker. I currently work out while wearing an ankle support.

#243 ·
Working out with an injury will aggravate it. Get a diagnosis and see how long it will take to recover if you don't do any physical exercise. Wait that period of time and then start. Don't be so anxious as to get through the injury, it won't help

When I hear dojo, I immediately think of martial arts. Well, foundation of any fighting technique is strength and speed so if you can maximize that, then the technique will be much more effective

#245 ·
Been a couple years and your ankle still cant receive the stress. Id have it checked out again. Or maybe your just testing it to much. I had a knee operation. But I dont go testing it. I know what it can do and dont try pushing it any farther. If I did try, It probably would actually get weaker or even blow out again.

On a side note. Im sorry to hear you want to attend the police academy. But your from Utah, so probably arnt as bad as the rest.

#246 ·
I had a knee operation. But I don’t go testing it. I know what it can do and don’t try pushing it any farther. If I did try, It probably would actually get weaker or even blow out again.
I had my knee operated on about 4 years ago due to an injury sustained about 13 years ago. I had torn cartilage which cannot be repaired so I get constant knee pain. I have to be careful doing legs. I don't squat and I have to be careful training hamstrings.
Another supplement I take is fish oil tablets and glucosamine. They help with my joints. It’s not fun getting old.

#249 ·
I lost almost 20lbs over last summer then over the Winter haven't done shit cause I dont like when its cold outside and my main source of weight loss was riding my bike. I just bought a cheap elliptical though to help with that so hopefully I get some similar results that I had last summer.

#250 ·
The elliptical will not do a lot since it is pretty low intensity but your cardio should improve and I am sure you will loose a small amount of weight on it. On the one I have there is like 10 preset programs and number 10, the hardest one is a pretty good workout. You will be sweating by the end for sure, it is 45 minutes long.

#251 ·
I missed out on the Gym yet again had to take my girl out that is it Fuk school first thing Thursday i am gonig to go to the Gym.

#262 ·
Someone back asked about Non-situp/crunch stomach toning exercises.

Recalled a guy from the gym I went to a few years back that had some kind of motion sickness or vertigo or Equal Librium was out of wack. Something, and he couldnt do the repetition motion exercises. So he would hang pretty comfy by his underarms, put weights on his legs and do knee lifts.
He also would use one of those electric muscle tensor belts like Jerry Rice has been promoting on some infomercials.

Anyone ever try those belt things? Guy did have Brad Pitt from Troy/FightClub type abs.

#263 ·
I drink egg whites pretty often. Just buy the liquid ones... already pasteurized (no salmonella) if you want the yolk, there are liquid eggs also.

For a shake I used to put 1cup egg whites (25g protein), 1 scoop strawberry whey (26g protein), and 1/2 cup of oats (23g carbs I believe). that gives a good morning shake if you don't have time to cook.

#272 ·
Checking as in watching it and studying all the rules and what not? Or checking as in competing? All the power to you for competing in that shit. It's hard shit; a lot harder than bodybuilding imo. I will say that you'd definitely need to improve that lazy squat PR before you attempt to compete though. :p

bruteshot74 said:
Is it really necessary to a loading phase for creatine? I have read up on it and some guys are all about it but then I read a report where in four weeks the people who loaded and people who just took it normally, still had the same gains. Only difference was the people who loaded got bigger quick. I am looking to bulk up over time so it does not seem like the loading phase would really be necessary for myself.
Nah. Just cycle on/off of it every month or so to keep the body from becoming immune to creatine. Loading phases aren't important, Joshuaaaaaa.

#269 ·
K, so my order of stuff should be at my house in the next couple of days so just had a quick question.

Is it really necessary to a loading phase for creatine? I have read up on it and some guys are all about it but then I read a report where in four weeks the people who loaded and people who just took it normally, still had the same gains. Only difference was the people who loaded got bigger quick. I am looking to bulk up over time so it does not seem like the loading phase would really be necessary for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.