Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#499 ·
Good lift for sure... I don't care how you do it, but lifting 400lbs off the ground is nothing to laugh about. My biggest deadlift was about 8 months ago (380 x 2) before aggravating my back again. Messed it up working in the yard :no:. I'm just starting to get back into deadlifting, and have a ways to go to get back into the bigger weight.

#526 ·
Re: Some People At The Gym

I love my gym. Alot of great, friendly people.
Of course I checked out 4 others in the area before settling on this one.
No kids at mine (persons under 21) Mainly Id say they are 23-35.
Just a different atmosphere from some of the others.
Maybe you just need to search around and check out others if there are anymore in your area.

#527 ·
BB4B makes a great point. If you head to the local YMCA, it should be expected that you're going to get some clowns in there. Anybody that goes to a university with a somewhat extensive athletic program should really look into getting into the same weight room that the athletes use. Sure it's probably going to cost you, but you don't have to worry about a bunch of inexperienced lifters getting in the way.

#529 ·
I go to the local YMCA, and a lot of those guys are quite helpful. I've had no problems as of yet, and I usually partner up with one of the bigger guys for benchpressing. They're immensely helpful, and are not annoyed by the fact that this kid (me) wants to be there. I've only had minor problems, but they were with kids thinking they're big, bad, and tough. Some of the trainers will even help you if you're struggling, and I've made acquaintances. Perhaps it's just my YMCA.

#657 ·
ok, thanks.. I think I will have just one burger.. I am going out for a run before and after.. also going to be training on my punching bag I just got a little while ago :)

Reactions: bruteshot74
#701 ·
Hey I'm getting a gym membership within the next 2 weeks. It's a gym that's inside of a local hospital here. It's really professional looking. It's $88 the first month then $33 every month after that. Is that average for a really good gym? How much are you guys paying?

Anyways. I just got back from the doctors today for a checkup since I have type-2 Diabetes. I used to weigh 392 pounds I'm down to 326. I'm 6'4 so I don't really look like 326 I kinda look like 280 probably. Anyways I haven't worked out all I've done was changed what I put into my mouth, what I drunk and I'm a bit more active like I walk alot more instead of sitting around all day. I don't mean I walk a mile a day but I'm more just generally more active with doing everyday shit instead of being a coach potato. I also don't eat all that healthy I just don't eat as much fast food but I still eat it. Which I hope when I get into the gym it motivates me to stay away and eat healthy.

I have a concern. Since my weight loss I've noticed my arms look a bit more defined which is awesome motivation but there's still alot of arm fat on my biceps and when I pull the skin on it and let go it doesn't go back into place it kinda stays there which concerns me because my goal is to cut down to 250 pounds and stay there and just build muscle and stay fit but I'm really concerned if I don't get into a gym fast and start lifting I'll be 250 pounds and have a shitload of loose skin that I can't get rid of unless surgery.

If I get a gym membership soon and start lifting + cardio will this stop loose skin? Or is it just a given that if you were morbidly obese and lose a ton of weight you're gonna have permanent skin damage (ie: stretch marks and loose skin)? Stretch marks I can deal with, they'll eventually fade but I'm really concerned about having loose skin. What do you guys recommend I do to keep my skin firm and tight. I'm not just talking about my arms either I still have a belly that hangs and would love to get it smaller and more tighter without any noticeable loose skin.

Any tips? I've never ever been inside a gym befor.

#730 ·
I've always wanted to meet him... I live in TX about 3.5hrs from Arlington, and have considered going to his old gym when I'm in the area. I would love to meet him and/or Branch while they are working out. Never happen with Ronnie now though b/c he works out at his home gym now.

Be ready to meet a huge sob, because I think he's running 300+lbs right now.

#771 ·
Plank is something you could do that does not involve weights.

Lifting wise, really depends on what you are doing. For most stuff you could do about 8 to 12 reps and do 3 or 4 sets. If you are squatting, dead lifting or doing bench, you may only do 1 to 4. Like I said before, depends weight wise.

#776 ·
Found a good arm workout tonight. Was watching the Flex Lewis Gaspari Nutrition workout series on youtube and he does an arm workout called twenty one's. When I was done my arms were on fire, I usually do not get that with my biceps as much as I did with this. You do 21 reps in each set, 3 at each stage of the workout and boy I could feel it after 3 sets. I recommend trying it to anybody out there. Here is the link for video so you can see what to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVJFVDGtv-8

#777 ·
Ronnie Coleman has been preaching about 21's for years. They are nothing new. I do them every now and then. You get a nice pump after those. Lately I've started doing preacher curls with the low pulley. You get continuous tension throughout the entire movement. I get a huge burn from those.

And whoever said running will improve abs, ya right, diet will help more than any form of cardio. It's amazing how little a lot of people know in this thread.

-Flex-, austinrockera and bruteshot74 know what they are talking about. Ignore advice from anyone else.

#792 ·
Body weight exercises are simple, cheap, and effective for cardiovascular purposes. Pull-ups, push-ups, crunches, etc. done for high reps in intervals (and in a circuit with each other, back-to-back) will keep your heart-rate up.

I hate cardio, by the way. That shit should be a fucking sin, honest to God. I just can't stand it. I love lifting heavy weights. I'm not a runner. But I find when I force myself to do it, I almost enjoy the punishment of it all. Does that make sense?

To fellow bodybuilders, I'm sure it does. It's sort of like Legs day. I dread it like crazy until it comes, but the feeling of your quads knotting up & it literally hurting you to walk across the room makes it all worthwhile by that afternoon.

#794 ·
To fellow bodybuilders, I'm sure it does. It's sort of like Legs day. I dread it like crazy until it comes, but the feeling of your quads knotting up & it literally hurting you to walk across the room makes it all worthwhile by that afternoon.
I use to not be a fan of leg days at all but not that is probably the day I look forward to most because that is when I am lifting the most and the girls give you nice grin when you are leg pressing or squatting huge numbers :eek:

Just for interest, are there any runners in the WF forum? Just checking, I run the 100 and 200 sprints, I did 400 but decided that I didn't want to do it anymore. I represented my school last year provincial wide in the 200, did pretty well.
I was pretty decent at the 800m back when I was in junior high and high school. Went to provincials several times. Placed 3rd the one year.

#814 ·
That's one thing I would definitely look into investing in: fish oil. Bodybuilding's chum, I say. I can't believe I actually forgot about that supplement considering I was taking it regularly 6-7 months ago.

And yes, quite the funny poster/design. ;)

Rajah said:
Pity about that pic Flex, Ronnie is endorsed by BSN so whoever did that knows shit!

BSN and MuscleTech seem to be the 2 biggest supp companies out there. Good marketing from the start getting Ronnie, Jay, Dexter etc on board. I post at a few body building forums and can't recall anyone who actually takes BSN or MT. Much better products out there. Plus, anyone actually buy from places like GNC? They used to sell NO-Xplode here for about $110-$120 when you can buy it from eBay direct to your door the next day for about $70.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing..

$110 for NO-Xplode? Jesus. No wonder why nobody buys it. GNC actually had a black friday 50% off deal on their website so I had to take advantage of that. I myself don't typically ever venture into their stores but I did at one time before I started buying my supplements online - much more cost efficient.

The #1 rule I try to tell people about GNC is that the people their are sales people. It's in their job description. Their job is to sell you the GNC brand at all costs, lure you into the "big buys", and most of all, make sure they make a hard sales pitch. Some have knowledge with supplements but most don't know much besides the ingredients usually.

Case in point, one of my friends went into GNC the other day looking for a creatine monohydrate product. I had suggested him Gaspari's SizeOn. He made mention of it and the young man working at the counter said there's much better alternatives to Gaspari's Size On. He of course recommended the GNC brand first but my friend wasn't nibbling at the bait.

So, shortly after the guy suggested this creatine monohydrate called EAS Phosphagen Elite which actually pales in comparison to SizeOn. 68 total carbs (66 sugar) and many more total calories. I could not stop laughing.

#813 ·
Pity about that pic Flex, Ronnie is endorsed by BSN so whoever did that knows shit!

BSN and MuscleTech seem to be the 2 biggest supp companies out there. Good marketing from the start getting Ronnie, Jay, Dexter etc on board. I post at a few body building forums and can't recall anyone who actually takes BSN or MT. Much better products out there. Plus, anyone actually buy from places like GNC? They used to sell NO-Xplode here for about $110-$120 when you can buy it from eBay direct to your door the next day for about $70.

#820 ·
Flex, question for the CPT:

I am a little lacking in my lower lats as well as back depth (that thick deep 3D look you can get in your back) My back is pretty wide overall, I just want to polish it up some.

What do you recommend? I've read that underhanded just about everything works the lower back. Is that right?

My back workouts are pretty crazy... here's what I did last week:

not including the warm up set that I do before every exercise. All increasing in weight every set.
4 x 12 bent rows regular grip
4 x 12,10,8,8 dead lifts
4 x 12 lat pulldowns wide grip
4 x 12 seated rows close grip with a drop set for the 5th set (10,10,10,12 of 180, 140, 120, 100lbs) with a spotter to change the pin so I don't really stop.
4 x 10 DB rows
4 x 15 lat pull over (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBBentoverPullover.html)

all that in 1 hour.

#822 · (Edited)
This may sound a bit different than what you're used to hearing but I honestly believe BB Rows are the king of lat development. Here's what I'd recommend when rowing:

1. Row a little lower to naval level. Rowing low will prevent using arm flexion as well.
2. You don't have to extend your arms completely. Yes, extend them as far as possible but you don't want your arms locked out. Locking the arms out takes tension off the lats.
3. Using a power tempo is much more beneficial than using a tension tempo here. Don't focus on going light and 'squeezing', it's not as efficient as using a power tempo.
4. You don't have to pull the bar to your torso but make sure you pull as close to it as you can get.
5. Momentum is useful in this movement.

Go heavy, cheat a little bit. Rows take awhile to get the full grasp of. I'm still trying to perfect it myself.

That looks like a little too much as far as a back workout goes. What's your split look like? I assume with all that volume/workload/intensity in one session that your back is worked only once a week, correct?

If you're looking for some thickness, I'd go with lower reps for some of the exercises.

Here's a sample back workout off the top of my head:

Chins (either hammer grip or close grip):
Body weight x 6-15 reps (4 sets)

Rack Pulls (setting @ mid shin):
3-5 reps (4 sets)

Chest Supported Row:
6-10 reps (3 sets)

BB Rows:
5 reps (3 sets)

Close Grip Seated Cable Row:
8-12 reps (3 sets)

The closed grip chins would really add some width to your lower lats. I'm a big fan of pre-exhaustion methods. The chins will really help your muscle-mind-connection when doing the rack pulls and should help you pull hard to your pelvic area with the rack pulls.

More than anything else, the close grip chins will help maintain that width that you're satisfied with. We're not looking to enhance your width (going off of what you said) so we'll try to maintain with the closed grip chins.

Judging by what you said, I'd feel this would be the best routine to help achieve your specific goals. You said you're happy with the width but are looking for a bit more detail/thickness (right? i'm not too sure what you mean by depth ~_~).

Heavy rack pulls, heavy barbell rows, and hammer strength chins are ideal for back thickness/detail. The chest supported rows and cable rows are just there to give you more volume as it seems like you feel you grow best with high volume.

Back and legs are the hardest body parts to develop. It's a craft more than anything else.

I need a little bit more info to appropriately design something for you but that routine should really help in the thickness department. I left the weight open to you and gave you some options as far as the rep range goes so I'll let you interpret it openly.

#831 ·
I want to start building up my muscle, I weight about 140 pounds and I would liek to build up pecs and theand a 6 pack. I'm in pretty decent shape, as I am pretty athletic, and my legs are pretty strong... just need to build up on my body and to be bulked up more.... I'm pretty new at it and need a routine...can someone please help me out/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.