Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread

493K views 7K replies 464 participants last post by  obby 
#1 · (Edited)
Post anything related to TNA DVDs here. Questions, match ratings, suggestions, news, ect... are all welcomed.

Couple of questions to start things off (since the other threads were closed)

BGLWrestlingGod: Should I get Turning Point 05?

Jack Evans 197: Should I get Destination X 07?

liljayl23: Best TNA PPVs to buy on DVD?

#2,915 ·
Next review is Slammiversary 2006! I've said it a few times here, but Slammy06 is definately one of my favorite TNA PPVs of all time,

Team 3D vs. The James Gang: Bingo Hall Brawl

This match actually started with the Preshow where Team 3D said they were going backstage to look for the Gang, and as the PPV pyros were going off, Team 3D threw the James Gang towards the ring and this hardcore match began. And you want to talk about a match that was better than it had any business to be?!?! This was probably the best match the BG/Kip tag team was ever involved in. The crowd was on fire for this match, and it definately delivered with great brawling & great hardcore violence. It was a very good way to kick off the show, as it definately got the crowd riled up at the start.

If anybody tells you that the crowd never chanted "This is Awesome!" at a NAO/JG/VKM match, be sure to show them this one!

"The War Machine" Rhino vs. Robert Roode & Scott D'Amore

Basic match here. Nothing special, but we got to see Scott D'Amore get Gored and that was all that needed to happen. Solid match with a satisfying finish.

Senshi vs. Petey Williams vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Jay Lethal vs. Alex Shelley vs. Shark Boy: X Division Rankings Match

Normally these X Division Multiman matches are either a really cool action packed match to open with, or a solid filler match. But this match was AWESOME!!! The best thing about it is that usually the a match like this consists of a bunch of guys doing spots with only the winner really getting to shine. But in this match, various inviduals got to shine. Senshi looked like a complete killer. Sonjay proves he's one of the best sellers in wrestling. Shelley got over as a complete dickhead. Shark Boy got over his own goofy character, & we got to see the Canadian Destroyer from Petey. Just a really fun match to watch with lots of great X Division action as well.

Chris Sabin vs. "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash

This was the match I was most excited about mainly because I thought the build up to it was excellent. Basically Kevin Nash sought ot destroy the X Division in order to become TNA's identity, and Alex Shelley betrayed the X Division to help him do it. Unfortunately this angle didn't get the payoff it should have because Nash got "hurt" but in the early days it was gold. As for this match, it was very good! It was a big man vs. little man match, but Nash cheated like such a bitch that it made Sabin look almost like Superman. Nash took alot of great hits from Sabin, and only gained any kind of advantage through Shelley's interferance (which helped get Shelley over too) It was a very enjoyable match.

America's Most Wanted (c) w/Gail Kim vs. AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels: NWA Tag Team Championship

WHAT A MATCH?!?! This was my pick for TNA MOTY in 2006, and its one of the best tag matches in the history of the company for sure. Its funny how this match included (arguably) the two best X Division wrestlers ever, one of the best tag teams in recent memory, and probably the best women's wrestler today. AJ & Daniels had to find a way to neutralize Gail Kim in order to defeat AMW, and once they got her out of the way with the help of Sirelda, things got nuts. Lots of nearfalls & great spots. It was an outstanding match and definately the best part of this PPV.

- After that great match, we got a very cool video package showcasing the first four years in TNA's history, and the introduction of the new face of TNA Management Jim Cornette!!! He basically talked about what he was going to do for TNA with all the heels shown backstage looking worried. It was a good segment that led to some changes in TNA that culminated in major changes at Bound for Glory.

"The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe vs. "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner

Don West said that this was the biggest match in TNA history where a title wasn't on the line, and at the time it was definately true (obviously Joe vs. Angle surpassed it a few months later) I was really excited for this match. I didn't expect a Four Star Match or anything, but having those two bad asses in the ring together was bound to create something interesting and it certainly did. The match was a very good brawl with Joe beating out Steiner in ways he wasn't used to, yet Steiner showing Joe that he wasn't as easy to handle as alot of the X Division superstars (BTW, Joe was X Champ going into this match). The match certainly delivered, and I thought it was funny how TNA managed to get more out of Steiner in just a few months than WWE did in a year. This was a big match for Samoa Joe, one of his earliest hits.

Christian Cage (c) vs. Sting vs. Jeff Jarrett vs. Abyss vs. Ron Killings: NWA World Championship King of the Mountain Match

...what the hell was Ron Killings doing in this match? He beat out Monty Brown to qualify, which to me was just nothing short of a crime.

But despite that, the King of the Mountain match delivered a very good match to close with as usual. I actually like KOTM as it has proved to be a nice annual event for TNA. I don't like to give away spoilers, but I'll just say that the ending is one of the best endings to any TNA PPV, mainly due to the crowd reaction. It was a very good main event, & a fantastic ending.

What a PPV! I mean it was just a stellar show from top to bottom. The tag division shined, the X Division shined, the veterans stepped up their games, King of the Mountain delivered, and it was just an awesome PPV all around. I can't believe it doesn't get more praise as one of the best shows of 2006 because it was DAMN good. Its one of my personal favorites in TNA history easily. TNA turned Four Years old with class!

Match Rankings
1) AMW vs. AJ/Daniels
2) Joe vs. Steiner
3) King of the Mountain
4) X Rankings
5) Sabin vs. Nash
6) 3D vs. James Gang
7) Rhino vs. Roode/Damored

#2,917 ·
I would say Slammy over Sacrifice, but both shows are great.

Slammiuersary had a Wrestlemania type feel to it with big main event type matches like Sabin/Nash, AJ & Daniels/AMW, Joe/Steiner, & the annual King of the Mountain.

Sacrifice was great with the World X Cup, Cage/Abyss II, and some set ups for the bigger show Slammiversary as Steiner vs. Joe, Nash vs. Sabin, King of the Mountain, And the last chance for AJ & Daniels all got set up on the PPV while also delivering a strong show in its own right.

#2,919 ·
Another good review G.

TNA ultimate matches review part 4 - Full metal mayhem... OH MYZ!

Abyss vs Jeff Hardy

This was basically centered around a few spots IMO and I didn't enjoy it that much. Still a solid match but sloppy in some parts, mainly from Jeff hardy. The big spots are Jeff Swantoning off the stage aswell as him going through 2-4 tables near the end.

**3/4

Abyss Vs Christian

This match was centered around Abyss' many attempts to Kill/Take out christian as he was stalking His wife, Tryed to drown him and hung him at Lockdown. The match itself was quite good with the spots being cool and the pace was kept up pretty much all the way. The spot's weren't as big as last match but the thumbtacks got involed as James mitchell of all people got put through them. Christian wins after a frogsplash through the table.

***3/4

#2,923 ·
Thanks a bunch man. I actually have one more for ya!

Well the final PPV to review from my Christmas gifts is No Surrender 2008...why did I save the worst for last?

Thats not to say NS08 was a bad show. It was solid, and it was cool that TNA finally got a big show up there in Canada (crowd was awesome BTW), but I would venture to say that it is definately the weakest PPV in my TNA DVD collection because I usually pick up my absolute favorite shows, but the Cross the Line 3 pack was a really sweet deal, and No Surrender was not a show I regretted watching.

- The show opens up with an in ring promo from Sting who says that he has resigned with TNA and got a title shot against the winner of the No Surrender main event at Bound for Glory. The promo was good (minus the slip up that everybody & their grandmother seemed to comment on) but I think it also highlighted the problem with No Surrender in that they were clearly saving the really good stuff for Bound for Glory. We all knew it was going to be Joe vs. Sting at BFG, and this confirmed it. But this segment was cool for the Canadian fans who at least got to see Sting.

The Prince Justice Brotherhood vs. The Rock & Rave Infection & Christy Hemme: Intergender Tag Team Match

Fun match to open with. Basically just a goofy comedy match with some nice action thrown in. Super Eric hit some really cool moves. Curry Man is hilarious. I know everybody wants Daniels back, and I do too, but I'm going to kind of miss Curry Man. It was also nice that EY got on a card in Canada.

Awesome Kong vs. ODB: Falls Count Anywhere

This was another fun match. The crowd was really into this match, but then again ODB & Kong are the two most over KOs, so there you go. It was a pretty good power match with some nice shots taken. This match was actually better than I remember.

Team 3D vs. Abyss & Matt Morgan

The birth of the Morgan/Abyss tag team! Unfortunately the Canadian fans didn't seem to like Matt Morgan very much. I remember being a little excited for this match because it was the PPV return of Abyss, and I've always liked him. This match was ok. It was a basic big man tag match, not much else. They teased a Morgan/Abyss break up after the match, but I think they halted that and decided to just make the Monster's Ball for BFG a tag match.

"Maple Leaf Muscle" Petey Williams (c) vs. Consequences Creed vs. Sheik Abdul Bashir: X Division Championship Triple Threat Match

Canadian crowd loved Petey (obviously) and hated Mr. USA Consequences Creed, although he seemed to win them over by the end of the match at least a little bit. This was a pretty good 3 way match. Lots of great action in here. And of course because it was Canada, they had to have Earl Hebner in there, and they did a spot where Petey had Bashir in the Sharpshooter, and Don said "Do it Earl! They might forgive you a little bit" LOL. Anyways, this was a pretty good match, with a surprise ending as Bashir took the title.

Taylor Wilde (c) w/Rhino vs. Angelina Love w/Kip James & Velvet Sky: TNA Knockout Championship

Two Canadian girls get to shine in their home country. They even got Traci Brooks to observe the match, fitting her new role as Knockout Law. Taylor brought out Rhino to even out Kip James on Love's side. This was another solid title match. I was a little surprised that Love didn't win the title, but it was a nice bout that showed off what both girls can do. I wish they'd let Love do more, but what can you do?

"Black Machismo" Jay Lethal vs. "Guru" Sonjay Dutt: Ladder of Love Match

After the disaster at Hard Justice, TNA apologized to Dutt & Lethal by letting them have a ladder match. It was similar to what they did with Storm & Harris after their Blindfold match bombed & they gave them a Texas Deathmatch. So the winner of this match would ger So Cal Val, making this the battle of who will earn my jealousy. Well its safe to say that the Ladder Match was MUCH better than the Chain match. I would say that they definately had the best match of the PPV. Ya know, if I could somehow superimpose this match over that bad chain match at Hard Justice, Hard Justice would probably have been the PPV of the year for TNA. Oh well. The feud wasn't that good, but at least we got a great ladder match out of it. And in this day and age, to come up with ladder spots that haven't been done before. Well Lethal & Dutt did it, and kudos to them. Great match.

Beer Money Inc (c) vs. Latin American Xchange: TNA Tag Team Championship

My favorite tag matches of 2008 involved LAX & Beer Money, so any excuse to have these two teams go at it again is a good one. Salinas was "attacked" backstage and didn't come out with LAX, and never came out again. Roode was the only Canadian that got booed. Yeah. He's damn good. Anyways, this match was nowhere near as good as alot of their previous ones, but still solid. We got the usual cool spots from LAX & great heel work from Beer Money. It wasn't their best match, but a worthy portion of the PPV.

"The Phenomenal" AJ Styles vs. Frank Trigg: Mixed Martial Arts Match

Unfortunately, the best parts about this match came before it started with an in ring promo from Trigg & after the match with AJ whacking Trigg with a Kendo Stick. But the match itself was the worst of 2008 IMO. The fans shit all over it, so when I said the Canadian crowd was great, I'm sure AJ would definately disagree with me. The good part about it was that it proved my point that MMA & Pro Wrestling are two completely different things and mixing the two is very risky. But poor AJ. It would have been better if they tried a regular match to see what Trigg could do, because the guy is a good heel character. I also have a funny feeling that the match was cut short because of the crowd reaction because the ending just came out of nowhere.

Samoa Joe (c) vs. Christian Cage vs. Kurt Angle: TNA World Championship

Originally this was supposed to be a 4 way match with Booker T as the 4th man, but Booker had to miss the PPV due to Hurrican Katrina. Its weird though. Nobody seemed to care. Anyways, this match was about as predictable as it gets since Sting & Joe had a confrontation before the match started. Predictability aside, this was a really good 3 way main event. There were some nice spots, good action, and the crowd was into Christian obviously. My only real knock on the match was the ending which kind of made Joe look weak. I was also a little disappointed that they ended the show with a teaser for Angle/Jarrett rather than Joe/Sting. I think the title match for BFG should have been the one to leave the fans thinking about, but whatever.

Overall, I have to say that No Surrender was better than I remembered. Its still not a great PPV by any means, and it was obvious that they were just killing time before Bound for Glory. However, there were alot of fun & solid matches, with a pretty good main event, and a great ladder match. The MMA Match was the only dud. Other than that, it was a pretty solid show.

1) Lethal vs. Dutt
2) Joe vs. Cage vs. Angle
3) Petey vs. Creed vs. Bashir
4) ODB vs. Kong
5) LAX vs. BMI
6) PJB vs. Rock & Rave
7) Taylor vs. Love
8) Abyss/Morgan vs. 3D
9) AJ vs. Trigg

#2,922 ·
I have that Ultimate Matches DVD on my computer, only got around to watching the first couple of matches (KOTM) although i can't remember my ratings for them. KOTM 2007 is the best KOTM at ****1/2. That match just owns hard.

Angle/Jarret - ****1/4

I'm hoping the second is ALOT better. It will be hard to top such a nice match although its possible..Because Kurt Fucking Angle is in the ring.

#2,928 ·
I was giving it **** but then I gave Kaz/Cage ****1/4 and I thought that Kaz/Cage was considerably better.

Disc 2 rating: 8/10. Not as good as Disc 1 but still amazing, 1 ***** match and plenty of ****+ matches, the lowest match was ***.

Over all rating: 8.5/10: Awesome DVD. 2 ***** matches and plenty of ****+ matches. Lowest match was ***.

#2,932 ·
Kurt angle DVD disc 1.

Vs Joe 1: ****
Vs Joe 2: ***1/2 - Horrible finish, lucky Joe won so no *'s deducted.
Vs Joe 3: ***3/4
KOTM: ****1/2 - Full review a few pages back.

The documentary is split up in between the matches which is annoying but the documentary is awesome.

#2,939 ·
^^^ That's interesting. Angle vs. Joe I seemed to disappoint so many people. It didn't disappoint me, but then again I seemed to be the only one not expecting the greatest match ever and on that same card I was actually more excited for Sting vs. Abyss & AJ vs. Christian (which were just as good if not better)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.