Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread

493K views 7K replies 464 participants last post by  obby 
#1 · (Edited)
Post anything related to TNA DVDs here. Questions, match ratings, suggestions, news, ect... are all welcomed.

Couple of questions to start things off (since the other threads were closed)

BGLWrestlingGod: Should I get Turning Point 05?

Jack Evans 197: Should I get Destination X 07?

liljayl23: Best TNA PPVs to buy on DVD?

#1,189 ·
Abyss vs Sabu (Barbed wire), Chris Harris vs James Storm (Texas Deathmatch).

Would be great additions
Abyss/Sabu is on the first Bloodiest Brawls DVD and if you look closely, you'll see the Texas Deathmatch is on the list. :p

That match listing is pretty damn good imo. I have 3 of the matches already on DVD so I don't think I'll be buying it though. I need to get Best of 2007 sometime...

#1,191 ·
^I guess it was kind of bloody, but yeah it's a little surprising. Not that I mind tho since I don't own the Genesis 06 DVD and that was great match.

They could've saved that for the "Ultimate Matches" DVD their releasing later on this year, but I'm not sure if that's all gimmick matches or not.(Ultimate X, FMM, Monster's Ball, etc.)

It's funny cause I couldn't find the match listing anywhere else but low and behold the ROH site had it, but it seems like their should be atleast 1 more match added.(9 is a weird number and the last one had 10)

I really wish they had put that Joe/Monty/Rhino 3 way from Hard Justice 06 on here, that is such an underrated match and definitely would've fit into a DVD specializing in brawl type matches.

#1,192 ·
I just rewatched Bound for Glory 2007. Oh man what a great PPV. I hold this up there as TNA's Best PPV to date. I used to think it was Turning Point 2004, but this show finally topped it almost three years later.

The show opens up with an awesome video intro that really sets the tone for the show. The "Darth Vader Guy" (as I like to call him) talks about how every athlete in TNA "Dreams of Being the Next Hulk Hogan, the next Immortal Icon in an Age Old Industry" and then it highlights Kurt Angle, Sting, AJ Styles, Abyss, Christian Cage, & Samoa Joe individually and the show begins!

-OK, throughout the show they have some backstage segments involving Kurt Angle, Karen Angle, Kevin Nash, and Sting and they talk about how Angle crossed the line when he attacked Sting's son and Sting is going to make him pay. These were the only downparts of the show. Its not they were bad, but there were just too many of them.

LAX vs. XXX: Ultimate X for Tag Title Shot

Looking at the card, you really couldn't ask for a better match to open up with. I would go as far to say that this is probably the best opener in TNA history. Lots of crazy spots here, but the real star was Hernandez. In a match that is not designed for people his size, he out shined everybody. But there was some amazing stuff from the other three guys as well. I would put this up there as one of my more favorite Ultimate X Matches and a hell of a way to kick off the show.

Fight For the Right Battle Royal - Participants Include: Robert Roode, Kaz, "Cowboy" James Storm, "Wildcat" Chris Harris, "Showtime" Eric Young, Junior Fatu, Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, "Guru" Sonjay Dutt, Petey Williams, Lance Hoyt, Jimmy Rave, BG James, Kip James, Shark Boy, & Havok

Everybody hates the reverse battle royal, and to be honest so do I. Is it really that hard to get into the ring? However, they did something to make me forget it was stupid (Kaz doing the Flux Capacitor to Robert Roode, putting them both in) Once it came down to a regular battle royal, it actually got pretty entertaining with the Guns adding excitmenet, and Fatu playing the big man well. The ending with Roode & Young was good too.

This match turned out much better than I expected. Its filler and cheap way to get everybody on the card, but it wasn't painful to sit through at all. My only knock is that Harris didn't get into the ring, and there fore didn't get into the tournament. I was a big fan of Harris and I felt if anybody was screwed over by the influx of former WWE guys, it was him.

Team Pacman (c) vs. "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles & Tomko: TNA Tag Team Championship

This was another match I didn't expect a whole lot out of, but it turned out to be very entertaining and good. Adam "Pacman" Jones was not allowed to compete thanks to the Tennessee Titans saying he couldn't, so they replaced him with Consequences Creed and made Pacman the manager (which they probably should have done in the first place but whatever)

Since the show was in AJ's homestate of Georgia & the fans just hated Pacman, AJ & Tomko played babyface for this one and it worked well. AJ broke out some moves he hadn't used in a while like the Kick flip off the guy's chest and that amazing Springboard Shooting Star Press. I was also really impressed with Creed here, and I'm glad he's with TNA now.

"Black Machismo" Jay Lethal (c) vs. "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels: X Division Championship

This was arguably the best X Division title match of 2007. It was very good, and I was amazed when I found out the next day that the match only went about 10-11 minutes. That just proves my point that it doesn't need to be a long match in order to be a great match. Lethal had fully won me over by this point, and Daniels is always great so I knew it would be good, but they put on a match that damn near stole the show up to this point. There were some really cool counters and reversals here, and the finish was very cool.

The Steiner Brothers vs. Team 3D: Tables Match

Maybe it was just nostalgia and my love for The Steiner Brothers, but I loved this match. I had one guy tell me that he thought this was the Match of the Night, and to be honest I can see where he's coming from. Some of the table spots were very cool like The Frankensteiner & The Double Team Bulldog, and I loved how they tried to recreate Scott's injury again. It was a wild brawl with some really cool table spots and by the time it was over, I was really marking out so it did its job. Alot of people priased Bound for Glory, but I don't think this match got enough credit for making this show as good as it was.

Knockout's Gauntlet to Crown 1st Womens Champion - Order of Entry: Ms. Brooks, "The Pride of Tennessee" Jackie Moore, Shelly Martinez, Awesome Kong, ODB, Angel Williams, Christy hemme, Gail Kim, Talia Madison, "The Voodoo Queen" Roxxi Laveaux

It really seemed appropriate to have a Gauntlet determine the first Women's Champion. They did it to crown the first World Champion for TNA, and they did it for the Tag Titles when AMW first won it, so this just seemed perfect. The best part of the match was Awesome Kong who just came in and destroyed everybody in her path. Gail Kim, ODB, & Roxxi really got to shine as well. And I hate to spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it, but Gail Kim winning the title was a special moment and one of the highlights of the show. The match was entertaining and it was a good way to introduce some of the new girls to the company, and for those who are watching the show now, we can say that alot of them have come a long way, particularly ODB & The Beautiful People.

"The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe vs. "The Instant Classic" Christian Cage w/Matt Morgan as Guest Enforcer: There Must Be A Winner

Joe & Christian was probably my favorite series matches in 2007. That had what was probably my favorite World Title Match in TNA history at Destination X & the match at No Surrender was very intense and good. This match was meant to be the end of the feud and it didn't disappoint. Its not as good as the DX match, but its pretty damn close. Joe & Christian just have a natural chesmistry with Joe being the straightforward bad ass and Christian being the chicken shit that tries to get away. and it just makes for great matches. Matt Morgan's involvement worked out very well too as he kept AJ Styles & Tomko from interfering. All in all, this is arguably the best match on the show. It was great!

"The Monster" Abyss vs. "The War Machine" Rhino vs. Black Reign vs. Raven: Monster's Ball IV

I wish they had put Harris & Storm in this match just to continue their feuds with Black Reign & Rhino respectively, while also getting a showdown with each other too, but what can you do? Judas Messias was supposed to be in this match, but got hurt in Mexico and had to be replaced by Raven. That took away from the match a little bit, but overall it was a fun hardcore match. It's probably the weakest Monster's Ball so far, but it was solid, and I like how they played up how Abyss had never won one before, despite the match basically being made for him.

Kurt Angle (c) vs. "The Icon" Sting: TNA World Championship

They did a great job of making Atlanta the perfect setting for this match. The place where Angle won a Gold Medal & where Sting made his career with WCW just seemed like the best possible place for these two to square off.

And what a match it was. This pairing was one that I had never really thought about before, but when the match was pitched I thought "Oh snap! That could be good" Their styles complimented each other very well, and I will never forget Angle's botched 450 Splash where he came down on Sting's midsection with his knees (OUCH!) and Sting not blocking that bat shot from Angle, busting him open in the process, (DOUBLE OUCH!) Some people hated Nash's interference, but I thought it added to the match because it made it seem like Sting had to fight off the world to win. This was a fantastic main event, and a great way to close an already tremendous show.

Final Thoughts

You won't find too many PPVs from TNA that are on par with this one. That's no knock on their other PPVs, because Lord knows TNA has had some amazing ones, but this one was just on another level of awesome. Every match delivered on something. All the matches I wanted to deliver did and in big ways (Sting/Angle, Joe/Christian, Steiners/3D, Lethal/Daniels, LAX/XXX) and matches that I thought would suck turned out much better than expected (Fight for the Right & Tag Title Match) It had a little bit of everything from new stars being showcased, old stars getting to shine, hardcore action, high flying, tag teams, brawling, Women's wrestling, and special moments. It just had EVERYTHING. Just an awesome PPV, and it will be along time before TNA puts on another show as good as this one.

Match Rankings:
1) Angle vs. Sting
2) Joe vs. Christian
3) LAX vs. XXX: Ultimate X
4) Lethal vs. Daniels
5) Steiners vs. 3D: Tables
6) AJ/Tomko vs. Team Pacman
7) Abyss vs. Rhino vs. Reign vs. Raven: Monster's Ball
8) Knockout's Gauntlet
9) Fight for the Right

#1,195 ·
For those of you that care for Meltzer's ratings, which I'm sure most of you don't, here are his ratings for Victory Road, just the ***+ matches.

Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin/Curry Man vs. Ultimo Guerrero/Rey Bucaner/Averno vs. Tyson Dux/Doug Williams/Alex Koslov vs. Masato Yoshino/Milano Collection A.T./Puma (Elimination) ****1/4
Kurt Angle/Brother Ray/Brother Devon vs. AJ Styles/Christian Cage/Rhino (Full Metal Mayhem) ***3/4
Samoa Joe vs. Booker T ***

I'm kinda surprised he went that high for Joe/Booker. He also went ***1/2 for MCMG/Dux&Daivari from the 6/19 Impact and ***1/4 for Guerrero&Bucanero/Doi&Yoshino from the 6/26 Impact. The X-Cup did good this year with 4 ***+ matches. :agree:

#1,197 ·
Joe vs. Booker was a really good match.

Of course that's forgotten because of the finish.

#1,200 ·
I really liked Joe/Booker until the finish, they have pretty good chemistry.

I agree with his ratings for the most part, I would go a 1/4* higher on FMM and probably Joe/Booker as well. Ultimate X wasn't that great, but I still thought it was around ***-***1/4 but whatever.

I would actually swap the ratings for the 2 world x cup matches, I like the Speed Muscle vs Bucanero/Guerrero match better than the MCMG vs Daivari/Dux one, but it's pretty close.

Here's my full World X Cup Ratings

Preview Matches

MCMG/Speed Muscle-***3/4
Koslov/Curry Man-*1/2
Kaz/Koslov-**3/4

1st Round

MCMG vs Daivari/Dux-***1/4-***1/2
Bucanero/Guerrero vs Speed Muscle-***1/2

2nd Round

Bucanero/Koslov-**(Don't remember this one too well to)
Milano/Curry Man-**1/4 (Same thing here)
Williams/Yoshino-**1/2-**3/4
Kaz/Guerrero-**1/2-**3/4

Those matches really didn't get good time

3rd Round

12 Man Tag-****1/4

4th Round

Doi/Volador/Kaz/Daivari-***-***1/4

Really successful tourny IMO, if only the 2nd round matches had produced 1-2 ***+ matches then it would've been even better.

#1,202 ·
I went ***3/4 on it cause when I look at alot of the other matches I have at ***1/2 so far this year, that match sticks out in my mind alot more as something I remember.

It's obviously a little on the short side, but I thought it did everything it needed to in that 7 minutes or so to deserve that kind of rating.

#1,208 ·
Damn i miss Phenomenal Angels. They were awesome. They even had a fantastic free tv match with the Naturals (where Daniels hung the title belt on the Ultimate X). They were MCMG before Sabin and Shelley became MCMG. I'll even go far and say that they MADE LAX. The feud was so awesome. My fav feud in TNA history, only behind AJ/Daniels from 2005

#1,209 ·
Slammiversary 2006 is one of my all time favorite TNA PPVs and I'm glad to hear it getting so much praise now because for a while I thought I was the only one that liked it.

AJ & Daniels vs. AMW was my favorite TNA match of 2006 for sure.
Joe vs. Steiner had a great build and the match delivered well.
Nash vs. Sabin was probably the best built match on the card, and it turned out well too.
The X Rankings Match was probably my favorite multi man X Match ever (although this last one at Victory Road probably topped it)
Team 3D vs. James Gang was WAY better than anybody expected.
Rhino vs. D'Amore & Roode was solid. Weakest match on the show, but D'Amore got Gored, so it delivered.
And KOTM was awesome, and I thought the finish was absolutely brillaint. The last time a heel got that kind of reaction was when the nWo first formed.

#1,212 ·
Slammiversary (2006)

1.) Bingo Hall Brawl – Team 3D vs. The James Gang - ***1/4
This was a huge surprise to me and it might be the highest I've ever rated a match involving JamesGang/VKM. The crowd was WAY into this one, lots of chants throughout. Very satisfying and entertaining brawl.

2.) Handicap match - Rhino vs. Roode/D’Amore - **
Fairly entertaining comedy style of match. Nothing great until the end when Rhino Gores the holy hell out of D'amore lol.

3.) #1 contenders match - Petey vs Lethal vs Shelly vs Dutt vs Sharky vs Senshi - ***1/2
Elimination style X match. Very structured and less spotty than most of these types of contest. The crowd weren't loving the slower paced action that much, but I thought it was a very solid wrestling showcase. A nice change. Shelly and Senshi were the standouts in this one.

4.) Chris Sabin vs. Kevin Nash - **1/2
Very surprised by this one again. Nash is so slow and lumbering and this isn't by any means a classic match but they put on a very intelligent and entertaining bout. Shelly was a big part of the match, interfering or trying to at every turn and it actually helped build some drama.

5.) NWA tag titles - AMW vs Aj/Daniels - ****1/2
Great great match slightly better than the first but the real difference as I was hoping was the ending which was incredible. Aj/Daniels put on an absolute wrestling clinic in the beginning but after some interference from Gail, Amw takes control of the match and dominates for a while. A Mountain of a woman (maybe lol) then comes out, chokeslams Gail and carries her to the back. The finish comes when Styles hits the frog splash followed by a BME from Daniels. The Impact zone absolutely erupts with the 3 count! Great stuff and an unbelievable tag match.

6.) Samoa Joe vs. Scott Steiner - ***1/2 - ***3/4
Really loved this. It was the perfect power vs power matchup. Steiner brought out his repertoire of suplexes and Joe was ready with his submission and high impact moves. A great moment happened at the start. After Steiner smacks the back of Joe's head Hall style, Joe gets up, spits in his face and they go at it toe to toe! Really intense and good wrestling match. The ending is a little botched and underwhelming but it thats the only real downfall.

7. NWA title - KOTM - Abyss vs Cage vs Sting vs Jarrett vs Killings - ***

There was some good action in this, and an awesome spot featuring Abyss falling from the ladder onto 4 tables but there were just too many moments of minimal action where the crowd seemed bored. The worst for me was the ending which I thought was just unbelievably bad. Very much like what happened at Victory Road, the show ended in controversy. Hebner, Zybysko interfere leading to Jarrett doing the unthinkable and winning the title yet again. This almost causes a riot in the impact zone as the ring is littered with barrage after barrage of trash. Cornette comes out and grabs the title from Jarrett leaving the show on the very popular cliffhanger angel....

Overall: Another Great ppv but not a fan of the end of the show. Up and down the card though there were matches that definitely exceeded my expectations and an overall Solid wrestling show. Could've done with 1 or 2 matches but great stuff yet again.

Also there is a fantastic promo from "The New Face Of Tna Management" Jim Cornette.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.