Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread

493K views 7K replies 464 participants last post by  obby 
#1 · (Edited)
Post anything related to TNA DVDs here. Questions, match ratings, suggestions, news, ect... are all welcomed.

Couple of questions to start things off (since the other threads were closed)

BGLWrestlingGod: Should I get Turning Point 05?

Jack Evans 197: Should I get Destination X 07?

liljayl23: Best TNA PPVs to buy on DVD?

#1,909 ·
^

Gauntlet-BFG-**1/2
Roxxi/ODB/Gail/Angelina-**1/4-**1/2
Beautiful People vs Roxxi/ODB-??? Don't remember very well
Kong/Gail I-Turning Point-***1/2
Kong/Gail II-Final Resolution-***3/4
Kong/Gail III-Impact 1/10-***-***1/4
Makeover Battle Royal/Ladder Match-Sacrifice-*** (Gotta give them props for the bumps in the ladder match)
Kong/Raisha vs ODB/Gail-Lockdown-**3/4
Taylor/Kong-Impact 7/9-around *** I think (If it's the one where she wins the title)
Gail/Kong V-Impact 8/21-***

#1,910 ·
I dont have the KO DVD, but I have seen all the matches.

Title Gauntlet - Bound For Glory 07 - Fun Gauntlet that showcased the girls well.
Roxxi vs ODB vs Gail vs Angelina Love - Genesis 07 - OK match. Nothing special.
Beautiful People vs Roxxi & ODB - Turning Point 07 - Filler tag match. Worst match on the set.
Awesome Kong vs Gail Kim I - Turning Point 07 - Awesome Women's match. People said it was one of the best Women's matches in recent memory when it first happened.
Awesome Kong vs Gail Kim II - Final Resolution 08 - Even better than the first. One of my favorite matches this year to be honest. Best match on the set.
Awesome Kong vs Gail Kim III - Impact 1/10/08 - Another great match in the series.
So Cal Val Wedding - Slammiversary 08 - Uh yeah. Might want to just skip this on the DVD.
Makeover Battle Royal/Ladder Match - Sacrifice 08 - Roxxi & Gail really tore it down when it became a ladder match. Really good stuff.
Awesome Kong Raisha Saeed & vs Gail Kim & ODB - Lockdown 08 - Pretty good tag match, and Raisha finally got some ring time in.
Taylor Wilde vs Awesome Kong $25,000 Challenge - Impact 7/9/08 - This was a really good TV match, and a really big moment for the KO division as well.
Gail Kim vs Awesome Kong (Gails final match) - Another really good match in their series. Probably my least favorite of their series, but it was still really good.

Overall a nice collection. Gail & Kong basically dominate the set which is no surprise.

#1,912 ·
^^^ Is that why Best of the Bloodiest Brawls disappeared? Because nobody bought?

I've seen it before. A freind of mine has it. There isn't much on there. The major standouts that I recalls are Raven vs. AJ in a Hardcore Ladder Match & AJ vs. D'Lo in the Impromptu Cage Match right after XXX/AMW finished up. Everything else was either forgettable or just silly (Remember the Hard 10 Tourney?)

#1,913 ·
What would you guys say are the best Impact matches ever?

Here's what I have at ****+, keep in mind I started watching every week in 2006

Cage vs. Angle 3/6/08 ****
Storm vs. Harris 6/7/07 ****
Cage vs. Angle vs. Rhino 6/28/07 ****
Cage vs. Rhino 11/16/06 ****
Cage, AJ, Daniels and Senshi vs. Joe, Fatu and LAX 10/4/07 ****-****1/4 (I found this just plain awesome)
Joe vs. AJ vs. Sabin 11/22/07 ****

Best of Impact could make for one hell of a DVD

#1,914 ·
Best Impact Matches I can think of are:

Joe/Daniels-April 06-****1/4
AJ/Dutt/Aries vs Joe/Shelley/Daniels-November 05-****-****1/4
Cage/Rhino-November 06-**** (Been awhile since I saw it tho, rating could change)
Storm/Harris-June 07-***3/4-****
10 Man Tag War-December 07-***3/4-****
8 Man Tag War-October 07-***3/4-****

I might be forgetting 1 or 2, but these are the only ones I think are ****+ or borderline ****. Tons of matches in the ***1/2-***3/4 range tho, a Best of Impact DVD would indeed be awesome. There were rumblings about one being in the works, wouldn't be surprised to see one in 09 at some point.

Oh and the Petey/Sabin/Bentley BFG 05 Ultimate X rematch is pretty damn close to **** too.

If you include the FSN days then the Skipper/Dutt/Sabin Ultimate X match is probably **** as well.

#1,915 ·
Wow, I dont know how I forgot Joe/Daniels ****-****1/4

I'm sure if I sat and thought for a bit I could come up with more but I have too much to do right now

Random Rating:

Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Petey Williams vs. Johnny Devine vs. Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin as an extra on the TNA Impact video game ***1/2

good fun spotfest

#1,918 ·
Havnen't gotten around to watching that bonus match yet, might have to now if it's really that good.

Now that we mentioned a Best Of Impact DVD, here's what I would wanna see on it if there was one.

Skipper/Dutt/Sabin-Ultimate X-November 04
AJ/Dutt/Aries vs Daniels/Joe/Shelley-November 05
Petey/Bentley/Sabin-Ultimate X-November 05
Joe/Daniels-April 06
Christian/Rhino-Barbwire Cage-November 06
Abyss/Angle-November 06 (Angle's first TNA match)
Harris/Storm-No DQ-June 07
LAX/Team 3D/Styles & Daniels-July 07
Fatu/Joe/LAX vs XXX/Cage/AJ-October 07
Christian/Joe-October 07
Joe/AJ/Sabin-November 07
Joe/Nash/Booker/Kaz/EY vs Angle/Cage/AJ/Tomko/Roode-December 07
AJ/Kaz-Ladder Match-December 07
Joe/Cage/AJ-January 08
Joe/Angle-April 08
Gail/Kong-May 08
Kaz/Devine/Curry Man/Rave/Sabin-X KOTM-June 08
MCMG/Speed Muscle-June 08
MCMG/Daivari & Dux-June 08
Speed Muscle/Guerrero & Bucanero-June 08

Now I know that's 20 matches, which might be a few too many but they are putting 16 on the Ultimate Matches DVD and I would want around that same number for the Impact DVD. (Atleast 15 anyway)

I'm even leaving off some matches like Kaz/Angle, Kaz/Christian, Angle/Rhino/Cage, LAX/AJ & Tomko, and some others. On a side note, June 08 was an incredible month for TV matches in TNA. Joe/Kaz, and some other X cup matches happened besides what I listed.

#1,919 ·
Well here is my Bound for Glory 2007 review.

- TNA did something very interesting for BFG07. They announced the full card the night after No Surrender. Normally with most PPVs, you can tell what the card might be as the month leading into the PPV progresses, but very rarely do you have the full card right infront of you a month before hand. That really made it feel like I really had to wait a long time for this show.

And what a card on paper?!?!

Sting vs. Angle for the World Title: That's a big dream match.
Joe vs. Christian: Two excellent PPV matches already, bound to have a 3rd
T3D vs. Steiners - Tables Match: As a big Steiners fan, I was really excited when they signed this one
Lethal vs. Daniels for the X Title - Looking at the X Division at the time, this was the best match to have.
LAX vs. XXX in Ultimate X - WTF?!?!AWESOME!!!
Women's Gauntlet to Crown 1st Women's Champ - They've talked about it forever and they are finally doing it.
Monster's Ball - Done every year. Always good.

So yeah those matches sold me on the show right there. They also signed Fight for the Right (with the dreaded Reverse Battle Royal gimmick) and AJ Styles & Tomko vs. Team Pacman (including Adam Pacman Jones who was forbidden to wrestle) Those two matches didn't look too appealing, but the rest of the card was amazing and it had the potnetial to be TNA's best PPV of 2007 by far.

And in my opinion, it delivered. For my money, this is the single greatest PPV in TNA history. Let's go over the show.

First of all, if I had one knock on the show, it would be the backstage segments involving Kurt, Karen, Nash, & Sting. They weren't necessarily bad, but they were sprinkled out throughout the show and were kind of pointless. But to be honest, there was nothing else on this show that was piss break worthy match wise, so I guess these segments had to fill that role.

- The show opens up perfectly with LAX vs. XXX in Ultimate X, with the winner getting a tag title shot. What an opener?! I put this up there as one of TNA's best openers & one of their better Ultimate X bouts too. It was a crazy spotfest with lots of excitement. Hernandez, a big man that the Ultimate X was NOT designed for, was the definate star. He was flying all over the place and was pulling out all sorts of crazy power moves. The guy was amazing, but the other three guys definately worked very hard too. Excellent way to kick the show off.

- Next up was the match everyone was dreading, the Fight for the Right Battle Royal to determine the Brackets in the upcoming tournament. Now having a match determine Tourney brackets seems kind of pointless. The winner of the match should get something like a 1st round bye, but whatever. Anyways, the participants were Junior Fatu, Kaz, Robert Roode, James Storm, Chris Harris, Eric Young, Rock & Rave Infection (before the gimmick), Motor City Machine Guns, Voodoo Kin Mafia, Petey Williams, Sonjay Dutt, Havok (Johnny Devine), & Shark Boy. Man that makes you realize how good TNA's roster was back then (and is now) The Reverse portion, they managed to make me forget for a moment that its a stupid concept with some cool spots.

Once it became a regular battle royal, it became very entertaining with all kinds of guys working some cool stuff in there, and it ended up being a surprisingly entertaining match. My hats off to the guys for this one. This could have been a bomb, and they actually made it bearable.

- Team Pacman vs. AJ & Tomko for the Tag Titles up next. Another potential bomb. Well fortunately, with NFL stepping in and not allowing Pacman to wrestle, TNA decided to bring in a sub, and fans were treated with the TNA debut of Consequences Creed. Creed & Killings defended against AJ Styles & Tomko. AJ Styles, once again proving that he is Phenomenal, worked hard to make this match great, and it turned out much better than expected. Tomko looked great as the big man in the match, and Creed was very impressive for a new guy. Some great action tied in a hilarious "Making it Rain" spot, and you got yourself a really good match.

So the two expected bombs surpassed my expectations. Things are looking good.

- X Title on the line next as Jay Lethal defended against Christopher Daniels. WOW! This match was great! Seriously its one of the best X Title matches of 2007, but probably Lethal's best match in TNA (either that or his match with Angle) Very good action & counters, and a really cool finish. This was just an awesome title match. It sures to please any fan.

- Big nostalgia factor with this match up as Team 3D took on the legendary Steiner Brothers in a Tables Match. I think this is the most underrated match on the show. It was a fun brawl from bell to bell with some very cool table spots. The fans were really into it too, and being a big Steiner Brothers fan, I was practacally glued to the TV because I really wanted the Steiners to win. It was an exciting match, and like I said, one of the most under appreciate parts of this great show.

- The 1st Women's Champion was crowned in a Gauntlet for the Gold. Participants were Traci Brooks, Jacqueline, Shelly Martinez (Salinas), Awesome Kong, ODB, Angel Williams (Angelina Love), Christy Hemme, Gail Kim, Talia Madison (Velvet Sky), & Roxxi Lavaeux. Obviously alot of the girls hadn't quite found their niche yet as Angel & Talia were clearly not The Beautiful People yet, and Roxxi was still doing the Voodoo Gimmick. However, for the 1st Women's title match, it was the best way to do it. Some of the girls caught on immediately like ODB and especially Kong who was the star of the match. Gail Kim of course shined as she usually did. This Gauntlet was alot of fun, and its been even more fun to watch the Knockouts grow and develop from this point.

- Awesome match up next. Samoa Joe vs. Christian Cage III, this time with Matt Morgan as Guest Enforcer. This was yet another excellent match to add to their series. This match had a little bit of everything: Wrestling, brawling, high flying. It was just amazing to watch. I was really looking forward to this one because I knew they could have the MOTN (again), and I wasn't disappointed. I got an amazing match up out of two of my favorites in TNA.

- Its an annual tradition for Bound for Glory, its the hardcore Monster's Ball. This one was hurt by the injury suffered by Judas Messias. The match was supposed to be Abyss, Messias, Black Reign, & Rhino, built on the Abyss/Messias feud, but Raven had to come in as a sub. I would have also liked it if Harris & Storm had been added to the match. Not only did they have a history with each other, but Harris was feuding with Black Reign & Storm had been feuding with Rhino, so you would have had 3 blood feuds going into it. Oh well.

I'll say that this is the weakest Monster's Ball out of all of them, but it certainly isn't bad. Raven actually had one of his better showings during the late days of his TNA run, and all the others managed to do cool things to make it interesting, even Black Reign. It was pretty much just a hardcore filler match, but it was far from boring, and was a good addition to an already strong show.

- Main event time: Sting vs. Kurt Angle in Atlanta where both men's careers began (Sting in WCW, & Angle winning the Gold Medal) That was a great setting to have the match, and this dream bout certainly delivered one exciting contest. These two veterans delivered one hell of a match with some crazy spots from guys that probably shouldn't be doing some of the stuff they did (Angle attempting a 450 Splash?!?! What the hell!) I know some people hate outside interferance, but I thought Nash's involvement actually added to the match and made it more exciting. I loved this match and it was a grand finale to a terrific PPV.

Like I said, this PPV is TNA's best of all time. It had high energy throughout and EVERY match delivered. There was not one match I didn't like. Everything in the ring was good. And the big matches I was really looking forward to were all great. Sting/Angle, Joe/Christian, Lethal/Daniels, XXX/LAX, & Steiners/3D all delivered big time and lived up to my expectations. I love this show, and if you've never seen it, its one of the few PPVs that I would say is an absolute must see, especially if you are a TNA fan.

Match Rankings:
1) Joe/Christian
2) Sting/Angle
3) LAX/XXX
4) Lethal/Daniels
5) Steiners/3D
6) AJ & Tomko/T.Pacman
7) Monster's Ball
8) Women's Gauntlet
9( Fight for the Right

#1,926 ·
Yeah bro, get it, it's awesome. I got it, and there are two parts of the 4-hour DVD: The Return, and the Career. In the Return, it pretty much just tells the story of his return in 2006 with some segments shown from Impact and PPVs (Unfortunately, they did not show the ENTIRE Lethal Lockdown in 2006, but only the parts from when Sting enters LL). The Carrer, I haven't finished watching it yet, but it's pretty much a sit-down interview with Sting about his career and how he got into the wrestling business.

#1,927 ·
I just finished watching "Best of AJ Styles Vol.2"(I finally got around to order it online lol)and so heres my match raitings...

AJ vs Abyss:SSOS 05Match-*** 1/2(seen this one before alot but never tired of it)

AJ vs JJ for the Heavyweight title-***(was pretty good and i forgot how jj awesome was at times)

AJ vs Joe vs Daniels:Unbreakable05-***** 1/2(I had seen bits of it and heard how amazing it was and i finally got to see it and WOW!!!The best or one of the best tna matches ever)

AJ vs Strong-**1/3(Short but pretty good spots and tv match)

AJ vs Petey for the X-Title-****(Awesome spots and they judt did great to perform)

AJ/Daniels vs AMW:Slammy 06-***(Pretty good as there other matches)

AJ/Daniels vs LAX in a ultimate x/tagtitle match-***1/3(very good ultimate x match but there bfg ssos match was way better).

#1,929 ·
I just finished watching "Best of AJ Styles Vol.2"(I finally got around to order it online lol)and so heres my match raitings...

AJ vs Abyss:SSOS 05Match-*** 1/2(seen this one before alot but never tired of it)

AJ vs JJ for the Heavyweight title-***(was pretty good and i forgot how jj awesome was at times)

AJ vs Joe vs Daniels:Unbreakable05-***** 1/2(I had seen bits of it and heard how amazing it was and i finally got to see it and WOW!!!The best or one of the best tna matches ever)

AJ vs Strong-**1/3(Short but pretty good spots and tv match)

AJ vs Petey for the X-Title-****(Awesome spots and they judt did great to perform)

AJ/Daniels vs AMW:Slammy 06-***(Pretty good as there other matches)

AJ/Daniels vs LAX in a ultimate x/tagtitle match-***1/3(very good ultimate x match but there bfg ssos match was way better).
Reallly?. Havent seen that match that low. I have it at ****1/2

#1,930 ·
^^^ It's worth picking up. Its a really fun DVD.

They have a portion of the DVD that goes through the history of AByss' character, and is totally kayfabed, which I think is better. That was good, and as an extra they include footage of when he attacked Christian Cage in his home and tried to drown him. That was one of my favorite bits.

Now the matches. It's all hardcore matches, as one would expect from Abyss, and they picked alot of his best matches. Matches include:

Vs. Hardy at Destination X 2005 - A vast improvement over their Full Metla Mayhem match from AGA05. Not a classic, but a really good hardcore match.

Vs. AJ Styles at Lockdown 2005 - Great match up. I already had it on Lockdown 05 DVD & Best of AJ Vol 2, but its a really great match, and if you haven't seen it, you won't be disappointed.

Monster's Ball from BFG 2005 - This match was just fucking nuts! Nuff said. Great violent match here.

Vs. Sabu at Turning Point 2005 - The dreaded Barbedwire Massacre. This is probably AByss' most well koown match, or at least his most heavily hyped. This one is interesting to say the least, and very sick at points.

Vs. Rhino at Against All Odds 2006 - Underrated match. I think its one of the best Hardcore matches in TNA history for sure.

Vs. Christian at Lockdown 2006 - One of my all time favorite TNA world title matches. Excellent.

Monster's Ball from BFG2006 - Another really good Monster's Ball. Not much else to say, but you'll probably enjoy it.

Vs. Sting from Genesis 2006 - I love this match. Its just pure chaos from bell to bell and Sting showed just how tough he really is. This match was just crazy and fun.

SO yeah really good set. You may have some of the matches on other DVDs (some of them are also on Best of the Bloodiest Brawls) but overall its a really strong collection of some of TNA's most violent matches.

#1,933 ·
Well if they did make an AJ Volume 3 DVD, here's what I'd like/expect to see. The last DVD ended with his last X title win in October 06 I believe.

AJ

vs Christian-Genesis 06
vs Rhino-Last Man Standing-Final Resolution 07
vs Joe-Sacrifice 07
w/Daniels vs LAX vs Team 3D-Impact July 07
w/Tomko vs Creed/Killings-BFG 07
w/Tomko vs Joe/Nash-Final Resolution 08
vs Cage vs Joe-Impact January 08
vs Kurt Angle-Slammiversary 08
w/Rhino and Christian vs Angle and Team 3D-Full Metal Mayhem-Victory Road 08
vs Kurt Angle-Last Man Standing-Hard Justice 08

It was actually kinda hard to come up with 10 matches, until recently this year AJ was wrestling tags for a long time and really hadn't had alot of great singles matches. He went from tagging with Daniels to his feud with Rhino, and then he was prett much tagging again with Tomko up until about 4 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.