Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread

493K views 7K replies 464 participants last post by  obby 
#1 · (Edited)
Post anything related to TNA DVDs here. Questions, match ratings, suggestions, news, ect... are all welcomed.

Couple of questions to start things off (since the other threads were closed)

BGLWrestlingGod: Should I get Turning Point 05?

Jack Evans 197: Should I get Destination X 07?

liljayl23: Best TNA PPVs to buy on DVD?

#6,593 ·
Austin Aries v Bully Ray - Sacrifice (5/13/12)
This was much more my speed and a legit great match. Easy to get into for someone who doesn't watch TNA (like myself) because of the clear gutsy babyface v powerful dickhead heel dynamic and the good in-ring character work from both guys. Beginning of the match is really good with Aries showing he's not gonna back down. Ray selling his balls and spitting at Aries earned my approval early on. The big boot that killed Aries was a sweet spot to transition into Bully's badass control period. Trash-talk, high impact back work and those awesome chops, I'm always gonna be a fan. Ray raking the eyes instead of nailing another chop when Aries got fired up was dickishly great. Brainbuster nearfall was great too. Thought it could've been over after the interference. Good example of an interference/distraction being used well as the catalyst for a babyface comeback. All in all this is quite super from bell to bell, I'd pimp it.

#6,688 ·
Indeed. I had some time to kill so I went and posted them anyways. I'm a man of my word. :eek:

The shenanigans with Jarrett were about the only turn off for me in the match against Christian. It's a pretty good & fun bout. I like it. But, by that time I was so diluted from the same Jarrett formula for main events that I know it's why I won't give it some major snowflakes. It's irrelevant. I like the match. That much is the same in any form of ranking. (as I say this I immediately jump to Jarrett vs Rhino from Turning Point 2005 - it's overbooked, but such a fun match up, imo. Idk why I'm saying it, but even the same Jarrett nonsense does have it's high points.)

Christian's win :mark:

#6,689 ·
The shenanigans with Jarrett were about the only turn off for me in the match against Christian. It's a pretty good & fun bout. I like it. But, by that time I was so diluted from the same Jarrett formula for main events that I know it's why I won't give it some major snowflakes. It's irrelevant. I like the match. That much is the same in any form of ranking. (as I say this I immediately jump to Jarrett vs Rhino from Turning Point 2005 - it's overbooked, but such a fun match up, imo. Idk why I'm saying it, but even the same Jarrett nonsense does have it's high points.)
Yeah, I can understand that. I think I need to go back and watch some more of Jarrett's matches from around that time to remind myself.

Briefly watched the end of this match on YouTube:

Another real feel good moment with AJ's win, but I need to watch the whole match again to give my rating on the match. Your rating on this match?

Christian's win :mark:
:mark:

#6,748 ·
The surprise certainly made the moment more special, but it felt like a cop out to swerve us and try and get another main event to go w/ roode/storm which could carry itself even though i still think storm should've won the belt since he's being useless now

would've been fine w/ aries just keeping doing what he was doing and shooting up slowly but surely. him being face was sort of forced too and turning him heel is good i think. he's more natural as it and they just needed to stick him against a guy w/ a big following like hardy for it to happen

#6,877 ·
Just pointing out that he's old and making fun of him more or less. I agreed with all of JoeRulz post except for the Trios match which IMO was **1/2 at best.

Reactions: Chismo
#6,913 ·
TNA iMPACT 2010/5/13:

Brian Kendrick vs Douglas Willams - N/R

Generation Me vs Matt Morgan - N/R

Ink Inc vs 3D vs MCMG vs Beer.. Money! - **3/4

Rob Terry vs Abyss - N/R

Orlando Jordan vs Tomko - *

Rob Van Dam vs Jeff Hardy vs AJ Styles - **

The opening segment with RVD, Styles, Bischoff and RVD was good as always. Kendrick vs Williams wasn't a match, I can't believe that it was Kendrick's first singles win since he came back. Why he joined them in first place? the Chelsea attacking storyline could've been good if they did not revealed that it was Wolfe IN THE SAME NIGHT. Felt like they wasted our time with this. :lmao The Band became the new champs in this show.

The tag team 4-way was a very good TV match with nice storytelling. I kinda like the Ray/Neal storyline so far even tho I remember their match at Victory Road as terrible. Tomko is so fat lol. Why Lacey helped Abyss? the Main Event was fine but def didn't reached it's potential. At least this - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xeezmi_tna-jeff-hardy-swanton-bomb-to-mr-a_sport#.USZH3B02KSo - happend after the match. Overall it was a better show than the past two weeks episodes but still not very good and with some crappy booking in it.

#6,992 ·
we've had this storm talk before so we'll leave it. different strokes and all

shes 14. fuck off (dont even start :side:)

its scary how much kaz has came on in terms of mic work since teaming w/ daniels. guy is superb. OFFICIAL MANAGER also, gives me hope of a daniels ME push

#7,034 · (Edited)
Lockdown 2007 - Lethal Lockdown match - Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe, Rhyno, Sting, and Jeff Jarrett) VS Team Cage (Christian Cage, A.J. Styles, Scott Steiner, Abyss, and Tomko) - ****

Slightly better than the 2006 Lethal Lockdown match. The stipulation of this match was whoever got the deciding pinfall would get a future title shot at the NWA Title, which was an interesting dynamic, except Christian the current World Champion at the time was in the match so it makes you think, what if he got the pinfall? There would be no challenger. :side: Like other Lethal Lockdown matches the match starts off slow and doesn't really pick up until most of the participants are in the match, and it's at that point where they pull off most of their exciting spots matches like these are known for. And it terms of exciting spots, this match beats the 2006 one, you had Scott Steiner perform a frankensteiner off the top rope to the crowd's shock, you had Rhyno spear Tomko through the cage door which resulting in a few of the wrestlers fighting on the outside of the cage, you had AJ styles climb onto the top of cage, just like in the 2006 match, only this time it was Angle that climbed after him and after around 5 minutes of fighting on top of the cage, Angle throws AJ off the top of the cage into who Samoa Joe, Scott Steiner, Tomko, Rhyno who were fighting at ringside, was a awesome spot. And you had Jarrett and Sting double slam Christian into some thumb tacks which Abyss introduced in the match, hilarious just for Christian's reaction, his facial expression was priceless. :lol And the finish comes with Jarrett hitting Abyss with a guitar Abyss loaded with thumb tacks, and Jarrett lets Sting get the pin to get the title shot, Sting very unsure after their past history and feuds, but he takes it. Makes you think what would of happen if Jarrett got the pin, because he never won the World Title again after he returned in 2007, he knew when it was the right time to step down. Always liked this moment though which lead to this Lethal Lockdown match:

#7,050 ·
Is this a Jarrett set Nostalgia or are you just going through all his defenses? Sorry if you've mentioned it and i missed it. Solid write ups, I haven't seen any of them probably since i first saw them back when they aired here on bravo :eek:

Impact was solid. Aries/Hardy was a bunch of fun, Sting/Devon was boring as shit except STING BLADING FOR NO RAISIN. The fact they kept showing him all night just bleeding everywhere was :lol Storm/Anderson was alright, fuck knows what Storm was doing for the finish though. Like there was no threat and he just FORGETS anderson. Wasn't awful before then but meh. I'm not huge on snowflakes for every random impact match but I preferred it to Sting/Devon b/c I actually remember it. Joe/Magnus vs Garrett/DOC was good. Expected from 3/4 of the guys and a solid garrett. Lol'd @ you cant wrestle chants. Lethal Lockdown has good outweighing the bad so woo. EY being overlooked makes me think turn again but gut says it's too early. We'll see. Better than the previous weeks edition anyway. Chicago should be interesting. :lmao at these trash AJ angles he finds himself in as well. At least I can laugh at it.

#7,051 · (Edited)
Is this a Jarrett set Nostalgia or are you just going through all his defenses? Sorry if you've mentioned it and i missed it. Solid write ups, I haven't seen any of them probably since i first saw them back when they aired here on bravo :eek:
The matches are from Jeff Jarrett's DVD. Bought it about a month ago now and I've been reviewing every match I've watched on here, posted quite a few reviews. :eek:

Those last two matches being the worst matches I've reviewed of him though.

Most of the matches I've watched I hadn't seen since they first aired years ago, so it's good to watch them again. And there's his 2002/2003 stuff that I haven't seen at all because I didn't start watching TNA until 2004, so that's new to me.

Bought the DVD as part of my project of watching old TNA matches from when I used to really enjoy the company, and I figured the amount of matches I was getting on this set was well worth the money, plus I wanted to see the documentary on Jeff, and I obviously also got it because I'm a fan of his. Along with that and Against All Odds 2006, Lockdown 2006 and Slammiversary 2006 PPV's I've recently bought, it's a start to a TNA DVD collection for me. (Y)

#7,056 · (Edited)
So Lockdown was okay. Nothing MOTYC from the matches but the end was good. PARK was awesome, X Division tried too hard and oh my at Angle Brisco. Might be one of, if not the worst Lethal Lockdowns. Legit forgot about the crowd half the time but it bettered last years crowd which was decent. Show didn't really drag at least. Had a fun time watching.

X Div - **
Park/Ryan - ***1/4
Sky/Kim - *1/2 (Gail tried her hardest, bless her)
Big Rob/Bigger Rob - DUD
Tag - *** (too much chavo)
Kurt/Wes - DUD
Lethal Lockdown - 1/2*
Bully/Hardy- *

#7,108 ·
seriously? i thought it was ass terrible, would place the lockdown match at least over it. idk about the rest because...well i dont really care and can't remember half of them. Its a shame we went from Joe and Magnus getting halfway decent matches from Crimson/Morgan to Styles/Angle vs Bad Influence to the tag division being a total let down, even if the champions are awesome. Would love if Joe and Magnus just thought fuck it and went after Roode and Aries. Take my money if they do that.

#7,129 ·
Oh hope I didn't spoil anything for you, I put the gif in spoiler tag.

But yeah considering Sting's like 53 I really didn't expect to enjoy that match as much as I did. It also helped that the crowd was actually into it too.

Reactions: Brye
#7,179 ·
NWA-TNA Turning Point 2004 - Six Sides of Steel: America's Most Wanted vs. Triple X

The last time I watched this was maybe 2008 and by god it still holds up as the best match in TNA history and quite possible the best Cage match since Bret/Owen from Summerslam 1994. This is one of my all time favorite Steel Cage matches. The losing team must disband, from bell-to-bell these guys just go all out to make this one as epic as it could be they knew that this was gonna be the "LAST TIME" I loved the story Daniels handcuffing Chris Harris and then going to town on Storm. They added onto this by hitting AMW's finisher and taunting him with the key too which was hilarious. This had so many huge spots like the Tower of Doom with Daniels landing on his face. And of course the infamous Primetime spot where Elix Skipper walked across the cage and delivered a huricanranna to Chris Harris. "INSANE shit". The finish was perfect too with AMW returned the favor by hitting Triple X's PowerPlex to get the win. ****3/4

#7,217 ·

:lmao

TNA Destination X 2007 - NWA Heavyweight Title: Christian Cage vs. Samoa Joe

Joe gets the dancing Samoan entrance, which is and when i first saw it I did think he's totally winning the belt here too, oh and don't forget about the Streamers :mark: These two put on a fantastic match that is certainly worthy of being the main event of the show. It had a good Mixing of brawling with great wrestling. I loved the story with Joe killed Christian in the fair fight, but Christian was able to use his cunning and cheat to get a clean win, I loved the finish with Christian turning Joe’s own hold against him to score the pinfall. ****

#7,253 ·

TNA Final Resolution 2010

TNA Television Championship
AJ Styles(c) vs Doug Williams ~ ***3/4​

Loved this from bell to bell. Sometimes it is nice to see two guys go out there and just work. While keeping it interesting of course. It might be the easiest to watch match I've ever seen from TNA. You put it on and boosh, instant entertainment from jump street. Possibly a minority opinion thanks to myself being a big supporter of Doug Williams. Not going to lie, it was his push which garnered all interest in this match. Guy is so underrated I can't help but get massively into a singles matches of his with invested emphasis and time. Not to say Styles didn't do anything in this match, b/c that would be off, but Williams made it come together for myself. Added note of goodness is the commentary team sounded legitimately into the match too. Like really into it. Enjoying the action as it unfolds and how nothing about it gave off that typical "negative" TNA vibe at the current time it went down. Taz showed some keen insight for the first time in idk how long & Tenay, while not circa the first few years, sounded as if he couldn't contain his excitement to see what happens next. Appreciated would the be best way to sum it up. It was refreshing. Almost proof that two man booth had potential to be solid when shown they give a damn. Unusual tangent to harp on, as commentary shouldn't matter THAT much, (enough to get stories across) but I couldn't help bringing it to light. Outside of everything there was only reason why I didn't go 4 stars on this ratings scale so much of us tend to use. It was only a minor selling gripe & the abandonment of a new wrinkle in the formula of the match. Williams gets some torque on the knee by Styles. Styles locks in the Figure Four, it's reversed as the roll to the outside with the hold in tact. Williams wins the advantages & and it breaks. Following this minor sequence things are forgotten. Which was a tad disheartening. Reasons I've explained or were generally explained in the "Technical Wrestling A Myth" thread posted by Cactus in the General WWE section. I love seeing a good bit of technical grappling, only not for the hell of it. If it has substance, well, I'm on board. For this specific sequence, it was fairly useless outside of giving the match a nifty Figure Four hold on the outside. Small potatoes at the end of the day. Star ratings can only go so far b/c I truly loved this match. Pallet was cleansed when Williams hit a wonderful - yet greatly brutal - Chaos Theory on the outside to Styles. One Styles Clash later to shove it in the face of his former teammate, Williams would capture the TNA Television championship. Looking back, the end result here would have probably been my favorite moment from TNA in 2010, if it hadn't been for Sabin winning Tag Team Championship gold prior in the year. It's a damn close second. However, and much more importantly, it's just about my clear cut pick for TNA 2010 MOTY. A prize well awarded for their efforts. Great match.

#7,260 ·
Impact 3/21/2013

- RoodeAries/ChavoShawn **1/2
- King/Zema/Dutt *
- Morgan/Park ***1/2
- Hardy/Angle/Joe/Magnus ***1/2

Reactions: Das Wunderberlyn
#7,289 ·
Just watched the Daniels vs. Joe Impact match from April 06, and holy shit, I never realised how good and how compelling Daniels is as a face. The dude is so believable in everything he does it's crazy. It's a fucking crime if he doesn't receive a World Title run, the guy can do it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.