Wrestling Forum banner

1995: The year in prowrestling that sucked tremendously

29K views 122 replies 51 participants last post by  joeycalz 
#1 ·
I just watched fall brawl 1995 on dvd. god what an awful event this was.

I started this dvd and one of the second matches featured "The Renegade" (against DDP). For some of you who don't know him.. he is the wcw version of The Ultimate Warrior. He wasn't even ripped like the warrior. Terrible.

The ending of the ppv was just like i expected. Of course Hogan who was there for about 2 years I think. Hulkamania running wild with all the "goodguys" aka Hogan's bitches in the WarGames match until he got attacked from behind by The Giant. Same old shit.

Now this sounds awful but on the other hand imagine WWF having big daddy cool diesel aka kevin nash as WWf champion for already year by then.

This had to be one of the worst years in pro wresting. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: SPCDRI
#6 ·
Todd Pettengill alone made the whole wrestling business looking terrible in 1995 and he didn't even wrestled one match

#57 ·
Todd Pettengill alone made the whole wrestling business looking terrible in 1995 and he didn't even wrestled one match
Pettengill is so underrated.

I began watching in '95, not long after WrestleMania XI. Looking back on the time, I'm surprised that didn't turn me away from watching. 18 years later, still here.

#8 ·
I agree, 1995 had to be the most boring year ever.

Hulkamania flopped in WCW
Diesel had probably the most boring title reign ever
WM 12 was horrendous
Nothing in WCW made much sense

However, it did produce Nitro and in retrospect, ECW was getting it's foot in the door with talent and angles that all would play a big part in the business over the next 2 years (Austin, Cactus Jack, adult oriented storylines). I think at that point, both WCW & WWF were throwing shit on the wall to see what would stick. It's like both companies knew what they wanted to do but didn't know how to make it happen. For WCW, it was a blessing for Hall & Nash to sign. For WWF, it was a blessing that Russo was a breath of fresh air and a different breed of writer.

But yeah, 1995 had to be the worse (especially for Vince) and I can't see how anyone can say that 2012 was worse than 1995. What would you rather have: Cena main eventing with quality opponents or Diesel main eventing with Mabel & Sid?

#10 ·
Sorry, but unlike 1995, 2012 set out on a mission to fuck up, destroy and then do the worst possible job of reinventing some of the most simple fucking wrestling concepts that a 2 year old could figure them out. Things like "don't beat the heel twice clean on television in the weeks preceding the PPV and expect people to pay $55 to buy the PPV just to end up seeing the heel win." Yeah, 1995 didn't fuck up that badly.

1995 was just a bad year. 2012 made people seriously question why they were still wrestling fans, the WWE has made wrestling THAT uncool, uninteresting and so completely devalued and meaningless.

#11 ·
First of all, Todd Pettengil was awesome. He knew just the right amount to cheese it up and did his job well. I loved when he interviewed that Bill Clinton impersonator.

Second, sure Diesel sucked ass but I wouldn't place all the blame on Nash. WWE basically did a Cena job on him, turning him from a snarling bad ass who would punch your lights out to a smiling idiot with a santa hat on in his first PPV as champ. I don't think they gave him a clean win for a couple of PPVs either into his championship.

The only think that saved the WWF somewhat was the funny commentary of Vince, King, Perfect, JR etc.

95 WCW Hogan and friends was beyond awful. The Shark? The Yeti? The dungeon of doom?

Indeed 95 sucked though - jesus the 95 Royal Rumble was hideous.

#86 ·
Either you never watched the WWF in 1995, or you are simply remembering something that never happened. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is worse than the World Wrestling Federation in 1995. In fact, the WWE today should make t-shirts for all us who survived through that terrible, terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE year of wrestling. It was bad. Today's product is leaps and bounds better than anything from 1995. I bet even the house shows are more exciting.

:cool2

#19 · (Edited)
No I never said they were bad but they weren't doing any spectacular stuff either before the jump to WCW IMO.

The overall product was just lame as fuck both for WWF and WCW.

Of course there are always some good matches in any year in wrestling.

I have seen many here name 2009 as the worst year, but IMO SD wasn't that bad.

#20 ·
ECW was very good in 95. I'd say they were the best promotion in north America that year. I never watched through 95 ECW until I started my American Hardcore Theatre thread, and I've enjoyed watching through. The Raven vs Dreamer feud, Guerrero vs Malenko series(9 incredible singles matches), and the incredible Bill Alphonso Penn State Athletic Commissioner storyline where Cactus Jack turns heel with the best promos in wrestling history. A shit load of underrated, rarely ever seen matches. Rey Mysterio, Psicosis, Al Snow, Benoit, Marty Jannet, and of course Steve Austin's incredible return from the injury that led to him being fired from WCW. Austin in ECW was must see in 1995.

I'd put ECW Hostile City Showdown 95 and November To Remember 95 over any of WCW or WWF's pay per views from 95.

#34 ·
Where is the hate for 2007?

- Death of Chris Benoit
- Beginning of banning certain moves and blade jobs (PG Era)
- Cena's reign of terror
- Khali as World Champion
- Tons of injuries to top stars (Cena, Taker, Edge, HHH, etc)
- Rosie vs. Trump on Raw
- Death of Cruiserweight division
- Vince's illegitimate child (Hornswoggle)

and the list goes on and on.

Reactions: SPCDRI
#66 ·
Oh God, 2007 was the year I started seeing the bad-side of WWE. Back when I was younger, I always thought WWE made the right decisions.

Many people think the PG Era started in 2008/09, but to me it really took off during the "illegitimate son" angle. I can still remember Hornswoggle being the center of both Raw and Smackdown. I've witnessed the terror first hand.

#9 ·
Lol, I actually thought Fall Brawl 1995 was WCW's best ppv that year. Flyin' Brian vs Johnny B. Badd, Harlem Heat vs Buck and Slater, and Ric Flair vs Arn Anderson were all very solid, and the War Games match was the best one they had put on since 1992.

But yeah, as a whole, 1995 sucked a fat one, for both WWE and WCW. WWE hadn't got rid of their cartoony, "trying to be hip" image, and WCW was putting on some goofy matches/feuds all year.

#15 ·
Japan was the place to be back then

#18 · (Edited)
95 was a hideous year for both major companys the worst year each of them had in the last 25 years. One positive was that I started watching ECW because of how horrible the big 2 were.

Anybody who thinks 2012 was worse either doesn't remember how terrible 95 was or doesn't think getting a handfull of good-great matches every week is better than getting a handfull of good matches in an entire year.

#21 ·
I could name a lot more great matches and moments last year then I can in 1995. Punk is ten times the champion Diesel will ever be, The midcard was better even if it wasn't all that great and hell for anyone who cares about the numbers (I don't), business was way better.

#25 ·
1995 WWF still had

Bret
Shawn
Taker
Razor
Nash
Sid
Jarrett

I'll take all those workers over anything they're throwing out there at the moment

Citing Brock, Rock, Taker, HHH in 2012 doesn't mean much to me because they only show up a few times a year. In 1995 you got to watch all those guys wrestle weekly or at least monthly.

#38 · (Edited)
o yeah forgot to say I didn't watch japan. didn't watch mexico either. fuck it.

Where is the hate for 2007?

- Death of Chris Benoit
- Beginning of banning certain moves and blade jobs (PG Era)
- Cena's reign of terror
- Khali as World Champion
- Tons of injuries to top stars (Cena, Taker, Edge, HHH, etc)
- Rosie vs. Trump on Raw
- Death of Cruiserweight division
- Vince's illegitimate child (Hornswoggle)

and the list goes on and on.
This is worse than 2009. 2009 had the punk/hardyu feud which was great imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.