Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Discussion Thread

520K views 5K replies 190 participants last post by  sXeMope 
#1 ·
#3,426 ·
Didn't he say at the end of the trailer that he heard there would be legal action if he didn't show up in Florida? Currently downloading it now, will have to check it out later. (Thanks for the upload btw(Y))

This may sound stupid but what's the difference between Highspots DVD-R and DVD? I realize DVDs come with color print whereas DVD-Rs prints are in black and white. Why is it some shows are burned as such? Also, shouldn't they charge less for shows burned onto DVD-Rs?
I think DVD's are properly pressed/manufactured, whereas DVD-R's are encoded and burned on a PC. I think the only real difference is that proper DVDs tend to have a longer working shelf life than DVD-R's. Proper DVDs usually have better menus as well as opposed to a picture and a basic menu.

#3,430 ·
My Highspots order came today :mark:

I already finished watching one of the seven DVDs that I got for just $19 with shipping!!

ROH DESTINY

1. Davey Richards vs Jimmy Rave **

2. Sara Del Rey vs Daizee Haze ***

3. Adam Pearce vs Colt Cabana vs Delirious vs Jason Blade **1/2

4. Christopher Daniels vs BJ Whitmer ***

5. Shingo Takagi vs Ricky Reyes *

6. Bryan Danielson vs Homicide ****

7. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong vs The Briscoe Brothers ***1/4

Meh, I can see why this was added to the $5 DVD sale. Nothing to really write home about except for Danielson/Homicide. I watched that match 8 years after it took place and still got goosebumps.

#3,431 ·
PWG BOLA N2 Review:

- Candice LeRae vs. Rich Swann - ***1/4. Great opener, not the biggest fan of Swann but I loved his work here, nice upset too.
- Johnny Gargano vs. Chuck Taylor - **1/4
- Chris Sabin vs. Ricochet - **1/2. IMO, disappointing, but probably it's just me becuase I stopped caring about the match after the random piledriver in the middle of the match, it's always a huge turn-off for me.
- reDRagon vs. Drew Gulak & Biff Busick - ***1/4
- Chris Hero vs. Matt Sydal - ***1/2. I really enjoyed it. It was the first I've seen Hero since he gained all this weight, and all jokes aside, I gotta say... This new "look" actually fits him and his wrestling style. His KOs look much better now, and it's really impressive to see someone in his size doing dives/kip ups.
- Adam Cole vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. - ***1/2
- ACH vs. Kenny Omega - ***3/4
- The Young Bucks vs. Bad Influence - **3/4. The first minute of the match - GOLD. The rest.... uh, whatever. The heel-face dynamic was really weird, and the match itself wasn't that good.

Johnny Gargano vs Candice LeRae - ***1/2. Once again, fun opener with great story. You can't go wrong with Candice.
TJ Perkins vs Ricochet - ***
Kenny Omega vs Matt Sydal - ***1/2. Omega's just too good, and Sydal looks just as good as ever, a perfect fit to PWG.
Roderick Strong vs AJ Styles **1/2. Weakest match of the show (skipped Elgin-Lee), wasn't bad but just not very good. Styles had a pretty weak BOLA, tbh.
Kyle O'Reilly vs Zack Sabre Jr. - ***3/4-****. Jeesssus, that was damn good. Talking about perfect fits to PWG..... Zack f'n Sabre Jr. This guy... can't wait to see what the future holds for him, he's going to be huge and fill the hole that Steen, etc had left.
Mount Rushmore (Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson & Adam Cole) vs ACH, Brian Myers & Chris Sabin - ***3/4. Great, non-stop craziness. Cole and YB are greatness together.
Johnny Gargano vs Trevor Lee - ***1/4-***1/2
Kenny Omega vs Ricochet - ****1/4. HOLY FUCK. Probably MOTW. The final stretch was unbelieveable. Can't believe Omega is not a regular in PWG, I really need to see him more.
Biff Busick, Drew Gulak, Cedric Alexander, Bobby Fish & Tommaso Ciampa vs Chris Hero, Chuck Taylor, Joey Ryan, Willie Mack & Rich Swann - AWESOME. Usually not the biggest fan of the Indy's huge tag team comedy matches, but this one was really great, imo. Trent's random run-ins = :homer
Johnny Gargano vs Ricochet vs Roderick Strong - ***1/2. I thought someone spoiled the tourny for me when he told me Strong is facing KO for the title next show, and the way Strong was booked made me 100% conivced he has it for sure, so you can imagine when Ricochet won I was shocked, and I loved it. Man, this guy is having the best year or what? So happy for him.

Legit SOTY for me, probably with WM. After being down on PWG for so long, it felt good to enjoy their shows like that. Also, it's damn good to see guys like Sabre, Gulak and Sydal, not AR Fox and Brian Cage. Hopefully this trend continues, and it wasn't just a one time thing.

#3,432 ·
Watched Bucks vs Monster Mafia steel cage today. The match was solid YB stuff but the production of IWL is just so low it was hard to really get into the match. Also, I'm not a fan of either Alexander and Page and I think now I really know why. You can just tell they weren't anywhere near the levels of the Bucks. Still, a pretty decent match and had the production been better (ffs, you couldn't even hear the fans marking out) I'm sure I would have it enjoyed it a ton more. ***

#3,433 ·
Would say that Alexander is clearly the better performer than Page. My main issue with Alexander is he plays to his opponent often which you see with his Elgin matches. He wrestles an Elgin match and for people who like that stuff, cool, for me I find that style pretty bad and those matches pretty bad. On the flipside, you have his match against Tim Donst in AIW which may be their best match this year. He played the heel at points and was really friggin' good at it. When he wanted he could nail some of the little things that heels do that so many indie wrestlers don't. That includes just being a general prick to his opponent, the ref, and the fans. That includes doing things like stomping on fingers and ankles and backing his prone opponent into a corner that way. Alexander also can throw some mean strikes.

None of those things I've seen from Page which disappoints me cause I know some people consider him one of the top young guys on the scene and I just don't see it at all.

#3,434 · (Edited)
Alexander is the better wrestler, but Page is the better personality. I see both doing big things in the future if they stick with wrestling, but I see Page going further because of the personality. I feel Josh is a lot better than people give him credit for. His stuff in Smash and Alpha-1 that I've seen is on a whole different level than most of his US stuff.

While I'm posting about Page/Alexander, I have to say I'm really hating Page's current face run in AIW. Usually I hate the "I'm a heel but people love me" shtick but it really suited him IMO. He feels so fake as a face to me.

#3,442 ·
CZW Down with the Sickness
(September 13, 2014)

Jack Jahova VS Qefka the Quiet 1/2*

Papadon vs Joe Gacy N/R

Pepper Parks vs BLK JEEZ *1/2

Buxx Belmar & Mike Bailey vs Team Tremendous (Bill Carr & Dan Barry) **1/4

Alexander James vs Preacher James DUD

DJ Hyde vs Kimber Lee 1/2*

The Front (Biff Busick, Niles Sozio, Eric Corvis & Andy Somers) vs Drew Gulak, Adam Flash, Nate Webb & Ruckus **

Homicide vs Joker *3/4

Lucky tHURTeen vs Matt Tremont *1/2

CZW Tag Team Championship - Ladder Match
The Juicy Product (David Starr & JT Dunn) (c) vs The Beaver Boys (Alex Reynolds & John Silver) vs Oi4K (Dave Crist & Jake Crist) ***

Rating: 3.5

#3,448 ·
I haven't finished day 3 but the first 2 days were pretty good. There's a really fun tag match on day 1 between Hot & Spicy and Inner City Machine Guns. I thought Cole/Barretta was good as well as Hero/Stahl.

Oh and you definitely need to check out the match between Tommy End and Jonathan Gresham from Night 2.

#3,451 ·
WWN sent out the cards for the November China tour. In order to save some space I've put them in spoiler tags but really looking like a bit of a safe tour all things considering. I think the 11/12 show or 11/16 one will be your star shows. The finale just seems to be the "it has sorta worked before so lets just listen to our Greatest Hits Collection from the period that didn't feature some key members of the band". Lengthy title but still. Was REALLY pulling for Thatcher to get some quality opponents but Gabe clearly didn't want that it seems. I'm fine with him facing Busick since they've delivered MOTYCs this year but was really pulling for him against Silver Ant or a guy like Swann. Something different but still talented. Gut says he'll face Tracy Williams again on the 10th which is fine I suppose. Though I'm not a big indie women's wrestling fan I'm glad that they are a part of this and sorta hope that they are a part of more shows going forward.

DGUSA Open The Freedom Gate Title Match
Ricochet defends vs. Chuck Taylor

DGUSA Open The United Gate Title Match
Trent Baretta & Caleb Konley defend vs. Fire Ant & Silver Ant

SHINE Title Match
Ivelisse defends vs. Su Yung

Special Challenge Tag Team Match
AR Fox & Rich Swann vs. The Bravado Brothers

EVOLVE Ratings Match
Johnny Gargano vs. Biff Busick

SHINE Showcase Match
Allysin Kay vs. Mia Yim

Plus more with Timothy Thatcher, Jody Kristofferson, Earl Cooter, Larry Dallas, Lacey and others!

Special Six Man Tag Team Main Event
Ricochet, Rich Swann & AR Fox vs. Fire Ant, Silver Ant & Chuck Taylor

DGUSA Open The United Gate Title Match
Trent Baretta & Caleb Konley vs. The Bravado Brothers

SHINE Title Match
Ivelisse defends vs.Allysin Kay

The Rivalry Goes To China Part 1 - EVOLVE Ratings Match
Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher

SHINE Showcase Match
Mia Yim vs. Su Yung

Special Attraction Match
Tracy Williams vs. Earl Cooter

Plus more with Johnny Gargano, Jody Kristofferson, Larry Dallas, Lacey and others!

Ricochet defends vs. AR Fox

FIP World Heavyweight Title Match
Trent Baretta defends vs. Rich Swann

Classic Feud Comes To China
Johnny Gargano vs. Chuck Taylor

Grudge Tag Team Match
Fire Ant & Silver Ant vs. The Bravado Brothers

EVOLVE Ratings Match
Timothy Thatcher vs. Caleb Konley

SHINE Showcase Tag Team Match
Ivelisse & Mia Yim vs. Allysin Kay & Su Yung

Plus more with Biff Busick, Jody Kristofferson, Earl Cooter, Larry Dallas, Lacey and others!

Ricochet defends vs. Johnny Gargano

Special DGUSA Open The United Gate Three Way Match
Trent Baretta & Caleb Konley defend vs. The Colony vs. The Bravado Brothers

SHINE Title Match
Ivelisse defends vs. Mia Yim

The Rivalry Goes To China Part 2 - EVOLVE Ratings Match
Biff Busick vs. Timothy Thatcher

Special Attraction EVOLVE Ratings Match
Rich Swann vs. AR Fox

EVOLVE Ratings Match
Chuck Taylor vs. Jody Kristofferson

Plus more with Allysin Kay, Su Yung, Earl Cooter, Larry Dallas, Lacey and others!

#3,453 ·
I'm curious as to why they've got Lacey on these shows. I'm pretty sure she lives in China these days but I haven't heard of her wrestling in years, and I'm not too sure that those fans will know/remember her.
You answered your question and proposed a non-issue all in the same post. Lacey will probably be as familiar to these fans as a majority of the WWN roster.

#3,458 ·
Highspots just released a 5 disc Jon Moxley set. A lot of the stuff is recycled from his CZW sets. Meh, I think I'll pass. Highspots jumped on board way too late with the Moxley set. But it's only because I've seen most of the matches already. If you don't own any of the IWA-MS, CZW or WXW sets then it's definitely worth getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.