Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Match/DVD/Show Discussion Thread - The Ragin' Climax

456K views 7K replies 208 participants last post by  Brock 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Well look at that, perfect way to start the day. Was just gonna come on here and ask for a reccomendation but you already took care of that.

My girlfriend woke up today in the middle of me watching Vince vs Zach Gowen at Vengeance 2003, and boy, was that ever embarrassing. She threw around words like "sick" and "depraved", then she started paying attention and couldn't stop laughing at Vince smacking Gowen around :lol

#11 ·
Will watch that Jericho match next.

Before watching Mortis/Wrath vs FoF, I rewatched Jericho/Eddie. Still one of my favorite matches to watch, Eddie was just phenomenal here. This is probably Jericho's second best match after the Benoit Ladder match. Once Eddie came back from injury, I feel he was the best wrestler in the world in 1997. That's saying a lot considering all the greatness that happened that year.

#12 ·
Only thing I remember about Fatal Four Way was the crowd chanting Daniel Bryan at the end :lmao.

Jericho/X-Pac sounds fun. One can make a good argument that X-Pac was a top three worker in the AE. Has anyone seen his GWF stuff? I remember liking a match he had with Jerry Lynn and another one with Sabu I believe.

#13 ·
As long as we both agree that Mick Foley was the MVP of the AE from a ring work stand point. Obviously Austin and Rock and Taker were bigger names, but Missus Foley's Baby boy was by far the most consistent worker and delivered the best matches.

If the AE started around December 1997 and ended when WCW was bought, Austin, Rock, Taker, and Hunter all had their best matches during that era with Mick.

#18 ·
Was very bored on a Saturday afternoon, so I decided to watch one of my old wrestling DVD's which I haven't done in so long, specifically to re-watch one of my favorite Cena matches - John Cena vs Umaga Last Man Standing match from Royal Rumble 2007. And this match was as good as I remember it being. Umaga's wild in ring style and monster character makes his work on Cena's ribs very enjoyable to watch, Cena's selling builds up the sympathy on Cena which makes the crowd go from a bit of mixed reaction to Cena at the start to getting behind him as underdog in a battle with a unstoppable monster, kinda reminds me of Cena/Brock from Extreme Rules 2012 and how the crowd slowly started to get behind Cena from getting his ass kicked for most of the match. There was some unique spots in this match that I liked, not your typical ones you'd expect, particularly the use of the steel steps I really liked. Cena's brief little comebacks were good, further putting over Umaga's dominance when they didn't amount to anything. And it wasn't until Umaga made his own mistakes by first when he went through the announce table, and secondly when he got distracted by Estrada, that Cena was able to turn the match around. And I love the finish of this match, Umaga was built as a unstoppable monster, how are you going to convincingly keep a monster down for a 10 count? Cena choking the fuck out of Umaga was great, JR's line of: ''even a monster's got to breath'' was brilliant and Umaga's great selling made it very convincing. Definitely a unique way to end the match, and I have no problems with the finish. Legit ****1/2 to ****3/4 match for me. Love it.

#21 ·
Rock/HHH had awful matches pretty much every time they wrestled until 2000.

fixed. :p

I'd rather watch the Mick matches to be perfectly honest. I don't know if that makes them better, but it's certainly my preference. I like Rock as the bad guy more.
Well that "fix" is a lie. I AIN'T HUMBLE. And it wasn't opinion either :side:.

I don't like Rock as either babyface or heel, but at least as a babyface the heel gets to beat the fuck out of him more for most of the match :p.

#23 ·
Both HHH/Rock Fully Loaded matches aren't good at all.

Overall chemistry wise though, it's pretty easy to say that HHH is one of Rock's (if not his greatest) rival ever, with the Backlash and Judgment Day matches being some of the greatest matches in Rock's entire career. The Rock went a fucking HOUR and it was entertaining as all hell throughout? HOW?

Must be THE GAME.

:HHH2

#26 ·
Something about the year 2000 that just clicked so much for Trips/Rock. That was their year. You know, after Foley retired.

:mark: so much at Hunter's promo from Smackdown. This is the Triple H that I've been clamoring for since Summerslam, and he didn't disappoint. Won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it, but it reminded me a lot of the Trips/Taker build to 28, except Trips is full blown heel now and is kicking his role as the evil heel boss into 5th gear, making me that much more giddy for his first heel performance in almost 8 years. Also, the fact Bryan is almost sure to go over him at this point is also :mark:

Anyways, got some time to kill before the semis of the ACC tournament, so browsing the Network. Got an itch to watch some Attitude Era stuff, so going with Backlash 1999.

#27 ·
Well the thing is that Rock and HHH's match wasn't completely crippled by the ending and retarded (almost literal) storyline that came with the match. Benoit & HHH couldn't shift out of that third gear into the fourth gear that would have made the Ironman classic, but the story they were trying to tell HAD to head in the Eugene direction, thus influencing the creativity that Benoit and HH could have brought to the table.

The 2005 Benoit/HHH RAW matches. DROOL. DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

#29 ·
If you only watched the opener it means that Benoit/Albert is next, and that STEPHANIE VERSUS VINCE IS COMING UP.

& ANGLE VERSUS CENA

& EDDIE VERSUS SHOW

& BROCK VERSUS TAKER (I give it *** 1/4ISH... My opinion of it is higher than most probably)

:mark:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.