Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Discussion Thread

520K views 5K replies 190 participants last post by  sXeMope 
#1 ·
#1,822 ·
Why do you even watch wrestling? :kobe8

Watching AR Fox matches from PWG (commented by Chuck Taylor) while being high was my greatest wrestling experience in 2013.

#1,825 ·
Forgot to add, I'd rather watch AR Fox doing insanely ridiculous shit than Chris Hero wankfests where he pulls other dudes' limbs for 25 minutes in such a dull manner before throwing 70 shitty elbows in an even duller manner.

:homer3

And weed is not drugs.

#1,829 ·
ROH 12th Anniversary Show Review:

Silas Young vs. Matt Taven - **1/2. Fun way to open the show.

The Decade vs. Cedric Alexander, Mark Briscoe & Adam Page - ***1/2. Tons of fun with an awesome finishing sequence. Not too crazy about The Decede's idea, but they have great chemistry and I'm really happy Alexander is getting a strong push.

Tommaso Ciampa vs. Hanson (World TV Title) - ***1/2. A great sprint. Loved every second of it. 6-8 minutes of two dudes beat the crap out of each other.ROH's Ciampa is sooooooo much better than PWG's Ciampa. In PWG his matches are pretty much unwatchable. Hanson looks really promising.

Jay Briscoe(c) vs. Michael Bennett (Real World Championship) - **1/4. Basic and boring.

reDRagon(c) vs. Adrenaline RUSH (World Tag Team Championship) - ***1/2. On par with their SA match.

AJ Styles vs. Jay Lethal - ***. Pretty underwhelming. Didn't had the emotion and energy I was expecting, and the finish came outta nowhere.

Adam Cole(c) vs. Chris Hero (ROH World Title) - ***1/4. I really enjoyed the match until the ending... Cole's interactions with the crowd were great.

Kevin Steen vs. Cliff Compton (Unsanctioned Philly Street Fight) - ***1/4. Fun for what it was.

#1,832 · (Edited)
PWG DDT4 2014

1. Best Friends vs. RockNES Monsters - Fun
2. PPRay vs. Unbreakable Fucking Machines - ** 1/2
3. Cole Steen Cole vs. Joey Ryan and Candice LeRae - *** 1/2
4. Inner City Machine Guns vs. African American Wolves - *** 3/4
5. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Adam Thornstowe - *
6. Best Friends vs. Cole Steen Cole - *** 1/4
7. Inner City Machine Guns vs. Unbreakable Machines - *** 3/4
8. Chris Hero vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Kyle O'Reilly vs. Drake Younger - N/A
9. Best Friends vs. Inner City Machine Guns - ***

1st match was a good comedy opener. I laughed out loud twice. Not really anything special but funny nonetheless. 2nd match was alright but mostly a david vs. goliath tag match with some comedy. 3rd match was really good. Candice rules and Steen and Cole have great chemistry. Inner City/African American Wolves ruled. Some crazy spots and theses guys work very well together. 5th match sucked. Thornstowe is obviously green and I don't really like Ciampa. That standing shooting star press was brutal looking and not in a good way. Flat finish too. 6th match was pretty good. Good upset with Candice. I want to see a Candice/Cole singles match. Inner City/Unbreakable was as good if not a little better than the 4th match. A little slower paced and not as much spots, but I just loved the dynamic of the speed vs the power. Lots of cool stuff. Great match. 4 way was weird. Some parts were hilarious, unique, interesting, good, bad, and stupid. It just varied widely. Some parts were just so random and it had no flow (a growing problem in PWG). Sometimes I felt like I was watching 2 matches - it was hard to focus. Now I see why wrestlers chill outside of the ring in multiple person matches. It was just so long and it was overkill. I don't know how and can't rate this. Main was too short but pretty good. I like Chuck Taylor. I really do. And Trent is pretty good. They're a good tag team. But I see them as more of a mid card comedy tag team. I don't buy them being champions. But they're over as hell. Overall, solid PWG show. Some bad stuff but 2 great matches.

#1,836 ·
From the WWNLive Alert newsletter:

DGUSA Mercury Rising is known for the Six Man Tag Team Tradition. This year DGUSA will take things to a new level. DGUSA Mercury Rising on April 5th will feature a Six Man Tag Team Tournament. Participants so far are:

-Johnny Gargano & The Bravado Brothers
-Ricochet, AR Fox & Rich Swann
-Anthony Nese, Trent Baretta & Caleb Konley
-Fire Ant, Green Ant & Lince Dorado

Last year, a new tradition started when it was decided that the winner of the fall in the annual six man could get any match that they wanted. This year, DGUSA will up the ante for the tournament. Each member of the winning team will be able to book themselves in any future match that they want in DGUSA or EVOLVE. The stakes are high in this tournament!
From those teams, Ricochet, AR Fox & Rich Swann vs Fire Ant, Green Ant & Lince Dorado has got to happen at some point, please. I wonder who else they'll get involved. An outsider team perhaps? In terms of DGProper, Millenials have got to be in there too.

#1,841 ·
It's one thing not to have them for a couple of shows in Feb. but for WM weekend and easily two of the biggest shows of the year, you got to have some come over. Especially since they're charging double EVOLVE prices for maybe the same exact guys right now.

I think on one afternoon show they are doing a Gulak/Thatcher rematch which should be good given the FIP match they had last week. Busick/Strong was what you'd expect and Dorado/Akuma was better than I thought it would be.

#1,838 ·
PWG DDT4 2014

1. Round 1: RNM vs. Best Friends ***1/2 (very good match with minimum nonsense)

2. Round 1: UBF Machines vs. PPray 1/2* (shit)

3. Round 1: Candice & Joey vs. COLE STEEN COLE ***1/2 (the team of Candice and Joey createss such dynamics it’s impossible to have a bad match, especially against Cole and Steen)

4. Round 1: African-American Wolves vs. ICMG * (shit; do yourself a favor and skip the match, otherwise you’ll never get these 24 min back)

5. Thornstowe vs. Ciampa 1/4* (massive shit)

6. Semi-Finals: Best Friends vs. COLE STEEN COLE **3/4 (good brawling is always appreciated)

7. Semi-Finals: UBF Machines vs. ICMG DUD (lel)

8. O’Reilly vs. Hero vs. Drake vs. Gargano DUD (lel x 100; one of the worst matches ever, and that’s not a hyperbole, it almost murdered a wrestling fan inside of me)

9. FINALS: Best Friends vs. ICMG ***1/4 (no nonsense, just straight action, short and sweet)

#1,840 ·
PWG All-Star Weekend X Night 1

Anthony Nese vs Brian Cage - **3/4
~ Impressive feats of strength from Cage but they tried to cram too much into this, especially considering it was an opener.

RockNES Monsters vs Joey Ryan & Candice LaRae - ***

Tomasso Ciampa vs Drake Younger - **1/2

Johnny Gargano vs Davey Richards - ***1/2
~ Lots of fun and shenanigans to begin with; Rick Knox joining in for a Sexy Party was hilarious. Light-hearted Davey is always fun too. It got a bit spot-heavy towards the end once they ramped up the intensity, but this was very solid.

Best Friends vs Dojo Bros. - ***1/4
~ Good stuff, just a couple of awkward moments that held it back.

ACH vs Michael Elgin - **
~ Wasn't a big fan of this although ACH showed some good strength against the much larger man.

The Young Bucks & Kevin Steen vs AR Fox, Rich Swann & Ricochet - ****
~ Absolute insanity, this was awesome. Ricochet continues to bust out jaw-dropping moves; that springboard shooting star press to the outside was ridiculous. Love the dynamic that Steen and the Young Bucks have together, especially when they all go on a rampage on the offense. Triple powerbombs on the apron ruled. And Steen KILLING Fox by manhandling him and tossing him into the chairs made my soul smile.

Adam Cole vs Chris Hero - ***1/4
~ I actually kinda liked the stuff after the ref bump; Cole using Hero's special elbow pad on his foot for the superkick was a great touch. Trouble with Hero matches these days is that although his strikes look awesome, they always seem like knockout blows and as such should be treated as finishers. But of course he peppers his matches with them and his opponents always kick out, which just kills his own offense. Not holding it against this match in particular, it's just something that's struck me lately and was clearly evident here. Nonetheless, this had its moments but nothing was particularly memorable.

#1,842 ·
AAW Reign of Violence 2013

1. Zero Gravity vs Monster Mafia
***3/4

2. Keith Walker vs Tony Rican
1/2*

3. Michael Elgin vs Knight Wagner
*1/2

4. Kung Fu Manchu vs Dan Lawrence & Markus Crane
**1/2

5. Shane Hollister vs Juntai Miller
***1/2

6. Kyle O'Reilly vs ACH
****1/4

7. Jordan McEntyre & Heather Patera vs Heidi Lovelace & Ryan Boz

8. Alex Colon vs Mat Fitchett vs Michael Elgin
***1/2

9. Irish Airborne vs Arik Cannon & Jimmy Jacobs

10. Eddie Kingston vs Silas Young
***​

#1,844 ·
Could be that they're trying to see who they can send over (Guys who won't be *needed* during that time). Though for the WM weekend you would think they'd be sending over the big guns. With the show being this close, I can see it being possible that they're not sending any over. The DG guys are obviously the real draw and IMO they should have been announced months ago.

I got my SMV order today. WrestlingIs sets were in CD-size cases with plastic sleeves inside (Like a travel case but with a plastic shell rather than cloth). Good to see that since I printed all the cards off and was expecting a spindle design, like how RF does his multi-disc sets. Unfortunately the size of them made the package an awkward size and shape and the two regular DVD cases got destroyed quite badly. One of the Wi cases was damaged slightly as well.

#1,845 ·
ROH Raising The Bar Night 1 Review:

Lethal/Young - ***. Fun opener, I guess Lethal is now a heel or..? I just don't know with Lethal anymore. His booking is just bizzare.

Dux/Bennett - **

3-Way - **1/2
RD/AR - N/R

Decade/Page & Alexander - **3/4. Good match as usual from Decede. Very nice storytelling and the aftermath was cool. The storyline is becoming really great.

Hero/Strong - ***1/2. Hero's best match since his return. Finally Hero match that actually worked.

Bucks & Steen/Elgin & Briscoes - ***1/2. Fun match, but I find it insane to compare it to Shield/Wyatts.

Taven/Cole - ***. Felt a lot like Briscoe/Cole from A New Dawn. Good short match, but I never felt like Taven had a chance of winning. Cole's title matches are getting repetitive.

#1,846 ·
Really don't understand what the hold up could be on DG's end. Either you're sending talent or you aren't, it's in like 10 days lol.
And if they don't at this point why would they beyond maybe one more weekend during the year. If that happens you might as well just get rid of the DGUSA name and go EVOLVE full time to get rid of the pretense.

Bucks & Steen/Elgin & Briscoes - ***1/2. Fun match, but I find it insane to compare it to Shield/Wyatts.
Who in the world is comparing it to Shield/Wyatts? It was a very good six-man (though for comparison I liked Steen/Bucks vs. 3.0/Akuma from Chikara better) but it wasn't like two forces colliding together for the first time with great buildup or anything.

#1,848 ·
Made it through the Oi4K shoot. A little disappointing in ways. There was little-nothing about their stuff in Europe or Japan, or their CZW or AIW run. Only thing about CZW that was mentioned was that Moxleys last CZW match was supposed to be against Sekimoto, but Mox wanted Jake. Still got the 90 minutes of bonus stories so maybe they'll talk about some stuff there.

#1,850 ·
Stockade Vs Necro Butcher (01/03/2014 SWA) - Butcher coming out to Punjabi MC in 2014 is just surreal - as is the size of Stockade. Contemporary Butcher is a far cry from his '06-'08 self and a mix of not making tape and, when he does, wrestling only half decent talent truly doesn't help any claim that he's one of the best wrestlers of the new generation. Still, he's a good hand at trying to make his opponent look credible and works as that roughshod ******* that just clubs fools and beats women up in alleyways. This isn't going to be anywhere close to recommended watching or as cool as his matches last year w/ Bonesaw and New Jack but, for the rarity of a Butcher performance, I had to take the plunge.

#1,853 ·
Talent lineup for next show on 4/11:

Shane Hollister w/ Scarlett
Matt Cage
Men of the Year
Silas Young
Alex Shelley
Eddie Kingston
Saraya Knight
Heidi Lovelace
Athena
ACH
Irish Airborne
Rich Swann
Lince Dorado
Los Ben Dejos
Dan Lawrence
Markus Crane
Ryan Boz
Arik Cannon
Kyle O'Reilly
Jimmy Jacobs
Knight Wagner
Justice Jones
Louis Lyndon
Marion Fontaine
Juntai Miller
Gregory Iron
Christian Faith

#1,854 ·
Great list there. Sad they aren't bringing Seleziya back. She's incredibly under-rated as a wrestler IMO.

If Faith is making a full-time comeback, I hope someone can convince Vincent Nothing to come back to re-unite Faith In Nothing somehow. I know it's unlikely but I can hope.

#1,860 ·
Sparx tested well in her debut. They're not featuring her on the 4/11 card, at least yet, because it's a SHIMMER weekend. They usually like to get Saraya Knight as much work as possible, so she'll have a match against Athena and Heidi or something fun. Saraya is so great to watch, and she's probably the one female wrestler I will go out of my way to see in person. I think you'll see Seleziya back in AAW before long. They're slowly and steadily building a women's division, and Sparx would make a fine addition.

AAW on 5/2 has Kingston/Silas III (inside a steel cage!) and the return of Kevin Steen. Get hyped for that too.

#1,855 ·
Damn, Shelley making it back again? Well, if he's not being used on a few New Japan tours, I can't say no to him showing up in the states for a few more shows.

Christian Faith joining AAW by the sound of it is only giving the company some more momentum atm. I'm down. They're a fun show a good portion of the time. Plus, look at the main event scene: Hollister, Jacobs, Kingston, Young. It goes a long way w/me.

#1,856 ·
They've announced the whole 2CW iPPV card for April 18th so I thought I'd throw it up:

MAIN EVENT: FOR THE 2CW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: CAPTAINS MATCH: ELIMINATION AND/OR FIRST TO PIN THE CHAMPION
Capt. Nick Ando, 2CW Heavyweight Champion VS. Isys Ephex VS. Colin Delaney VS. Dalton Castle VS. Gregory Iron VS. Dick Justice

FIRST TIME EVER:
AJ Styles VS. Johnny Gargano

TAG TEAM ATTRACTION:
Unholy Alliance (Tajiri & Mikey Whipwreck) VS. AR FOX & Rich Swann

FIRST TIME EVER:
Matt Hardy VS. "Juggernaut" Jason Axe

ONE ON ONE:
Kevin Steen VS. Alex Shelley

FOR THE 2CW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP: GLADIATOR RULES (FANS IN TOGAS BRING THE WEAPONS):
Punisher VanSlyke & Kevin "The Man" Graham, 2CW Tag Team Champions VS. CK (Sean Carr & Kage), Challengers

ONE ON ONE:
Jay Freddie VS. Rionne Fujiwara

ONE ON ONE:
Yusuke Kodama VS. Cheech

SIX MAN TAG TEAM ACTION:
ZSIII & Electric Dream Machine ("Studly" Steve McKenzie & Guero Loco) VS. Bin Hamin, Eric Mohammed Timmins & Pete "Dirty Bomb" Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.