Wrestling Forum banner

How did you become a fan of the teams you are a fan of?

4K views 58 replies 53 participants last post by  GREEK FREAK 
#1 ·
49ers- i grew up watching them with my dad, don't even remember when I started watching them, but apparently i watched them win the Superbowl in 94.
Giants- I was more of a casual baseball fan until i decided to start following it more deeply and they were the team that was most available.
Kings- I was flipping through channels in 98 and saw them playing. Been a fan ever since.

#6 ·
Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003, so I stopped supporting Manchester United and began supportig Chelsea cause I thought they would win everything. But then they couldn't win the Champions League and it was really pissing me off, so I jumped to Manchester City since they just got a lot of money. I was rewarded in 2012 when they won the league with the last kick of the season. It was the best moment of my sporting life for 6 days, because I quickly switched back to supporting Chelsea in time to watch them finally win the Champions League :)

But now like, it's not fun cause Chelsea aren't winning anything big. So I'm thinking that I'm done with shitty English sides and will probably start supporting Bayelona, since I will be guaranteed to be a winner. Can't fucking wait :mark:

#10 ·
I come from a family that's basically split down the middle between Rangers fans and Celtic fans (two biggest fitba clubs in Scotland, both from Glasgow, etc. For the benefit of the non-fitba fans in our midst). My parents got divorced when I was about two (not b/c of the Rangers/Celtic divide, sheeeit), so when I was with the Rangers fans (my grandmother was the biggest hun of them all, strangely enough) I was a Celtic supporter, and when I was with the Celtic fans (my old man and uncles) I was a Rangers fan. I was a belligerent child and I thrived on chaos. They thought I wanted to watch the world burn. They are probably correct. I couldn't really give a shit about either team, I just loved watching and playing the sport, like most kids around me did.

When I was about 10/11 years old the France national side started getting their shit together and tearing everybody and their grannies a new hole. It's similar in a sense to a ton of people really getting into basketball during the 90s because of the great Jordan-Pippan Bulls teams. There was just something about them that made you fall in love with what they were doing. Around 1998/99 the Arsenal squad had a few of the players from that French national side, so I was always into watching them. I preferred the English Premier League, anyway. I found myself watching them more than any other team and hoping they'd do well, etc. Then they signed Thierry The GOAT Henry, who was my favourite player at the time.

After that it was like...IDK, it's not really a conscious decision. When you truly become a die hard fan of a club/franchise, you don't really sit there one day and say, "alright, I'm gonna support THIS team." It just happens. Sometimes it takes one moment to make it all click - the signing of Henry was that moment for me - and from that point forward you couldn't look back even if you tried. It went from watching them on TV, to travelling down to London (or wherever else for away games), and now every Arsenal game is torture, but it's the best kind of torture. You live and breathe every loss, but you live and breathe every win, and you wouldn't have it any other way.

Shit post, somewhat racist, very tasteless, incredibly offensive, negged.

#31 ·
Seahawks - only really jumped into the NFL these past couple of months. Watched my first match where the 49'ers beat them 19-17 I think it was? Love Greys Anatomy and Seattle hahahahaha so made me side with the Seahawks which didn't pan out but been watching them since. Smashing the Giants was a nice watch though

Man City - boyhood club, been watching them since the days of Gillingham to the days of beating Bayern in their own back yard.

New York City FC - not playing till 2015 but thought to add them, they're part of MCFC so why not :D

#34 ·
Baltimore Orioles because I grew up in Baltimore during the 80s and 90s. They were all we had. Cal Ripken!

Pittsburgh Steelers- I grew up without a hometown team so I bounced back and forth between the Broncos and Saints as a kid. The Broncos were the first football team I ever loved because one of the first games I remember was the legendary Denver vs. Cleveland "Drive" game. I thought that finish was the most amazing thing ever and John Elway was just the greatest. I think my dad hating Elway & the Broncos so much put me further on the Broncos side because I was one of those contrarian kids :lol Then I gravitated to the Saints in 1987 because their storyline of being longtime loveable losers finally made good appealed to me. But I always had a soft spot for the Steelers due to watching a bunch of NFL Films stuff. (They always seemed to get the best music :lol)

Fastforward a few years. Baltimore finally gets a football team. I was happy at first, and I did support the Ravens those first few years, but a nagging voice in the back of my head kept reminding me that Baltimore stealing the Browns was no different than Indy stealing the Colts. This seemed lost on the rest of the town. Hating the Colts was practically a religion in 80s-90s Baltimore. Now we went and did the exact same thing to Cleveland! The years went on. The Ravens had a bunch of obnoxious players and a thoroughly unlikeable coach. Then they started winning and the Ravens bandwagon around town just grew and grew. People I knew who liked the Bills, Niners, Cowboys, or whoever were suddenly diehard Ravens fanatics. This was too much for me. At some point during their first Super Bowl season I turned on them completely. My heel turn was complete when I adopted their new arch-rival Pittsburgh Steelers as my new favorite team at some point in the early 2000s.

#37 ·
Detroit Red Wings have been my all time favorite team for 19 years now. Steve Yzerman has been my favorite player since I was 10. He pretty much started my love for the mighty Wings <3 I will never love a team like I love the Red Wings.

My dad has always been a huge Cowboys fan. He went a trip to Texas to visit his cousin when we were kids and he bought me a future Dallas Cowboys cheerleader shirt (it was made for kids you fucking creeps with a cute cartoon cheerleader girl on it, I still have it :) ).

#45 · (Edited)
ByTor;27716289[I said:
]Baltimore Orioles because I grew up in Baltimore during the 80s and 90s. They were all we had. Cal Ripken!
[/I]
ByTor;27716289[I said:
Up until the age of 7 I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan mainly because my dad was one as was everyone in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. There may have been a Yankee fan or two, but they kept their mouths shut for fear of daily beatings. :eek:

In 1957 the traitors played their last game in Brooklyn and moved to LA leaving me without a team.:cussin: Cheering for the Yankees was not an option. Even if they didn't move, I just couldn't get excited about the Giants.

Finally, in 1958 or 1959 (in between being Eddie Graham and body slamming kids in the neighborhood) I found the Baltimore Orioles with whom I stayed with for over 40 years. Why Baltimore??? I think it was because Baltimore and Brooklyn both started with the letter "B." :confused: But, maybe not. I don't remember.

In any case, my all time favorite player became 16 time golden glove winner - Brooks Robinson. Guys like Jim Palmer, Boog Powell, Dave McNally, Luis Aparicio, Frank Robinson, etc., etc. made up some of the greatest teams in baseball history while I was a fan of the O's.

My son and I were present when Cal Ripken got his 3,000th hit at the Minneapolis Metrodome against the Twins on Saturday, April 15, 2000. I remember how we planned it out.

The Birds were coming in for a 3 game series on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with Cal 3 hits shy of 3,000. The odds were against him getting 3 hits in one game. We figured if he got 2 on Friday we would see number 3,000 on Saturday. Also, on Friday I would have had to pick up my son immediately after work and fight rush hour traffic to the game. Sunday wasn't an option, because the O's already let it be known that they weren't going to risk playing Ripken and his bad back on turf in an afternoon game following a night game (on Saturday).

To make a long story a little less long, Cal made out his first time up and we figured we wouldn't see the historic 3,000 that night.fpalm We were WRONG! The next three at bats he got singles and they stopped the game.:dance Ripken's wife and kids were there and came onto the field. Then he took a victory lap while 50,000 Twins fans almost brought down the roof with their cheers.

Yeah, even at the age of 8 I was pretty astute picking out a team like the Orioles! :bs:

- Mike

EACH FAN RECEIVED A CERTIFICATE STATING "I WAS THERE FOR CAL RIPKEN'S 3,000TH HIT."
[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: ByTor
#2 ·
Been a Pirates fan since I was like 4 or 5 back in the mid 80's due to watching the games w/ my grandfather. Picked up football later due to my other grandfather. Watching Notre Dame, Pitt, FSU, PSU was my life back in 91/92. I was always a Steelers fan but college football, specifically Pitt, supercedes the Steelers. I've had season tickets to Pitt since 2008 and attended two away games.

#3 ·
Chiefs - Both my parents were huge KC fans... I was watching apparently since the Grbac years back in 2000. I'm 18, so I was pretty young at the turn of the century.

Cardinals - I was originally a Royals fan :side: I don't know exactly when I "converted" but I remember watching the Cardinals since at least when Pujols debuted for the team.

Blues - Just recently started watching hockey (last year) but am becoming a huge fan!

Mizzou Tigers - Didn't really start following college football till around 2007 but I vividly remember that season... Fuck the Sooners. I once attended a game between MU and KU. RIP BORDER WAR SHOWDOWN :(

#5 ·
Arsenal - Mostly because when I was around 8 one of my uncles who I thought was the coolest growing up and his favourite team was Arsenal. There 2003 - 2004 unbeaten was also another reason to make me a fan for life.

#7 ·
Boston Red Sox - Picked up watching them in 2003 and followed them throughout the playoffs.. Remember wanting them to beat the Yankees so bad in the ALCS and being so pissed when Aaron Boone hit that 11th inning walk of tater.

Colorado Avalanche - Started watching hockey a little closer in 00-01 even though I was still very young.. Really liked the Avs cause of guys like Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Heyduk Blake.. Man they were good for a few years there.

New England Patriots - 100% because they were on top when I started to care about football.

Detroit Pistons - The Wallace Boys. Big Ben and Rasheed.

#8 ·
Vikings - Drafted Randy Moss
Warriors - Were the most fun team to do franchise mode with in NBA 2K3 because of all the shit contracts and HIBACHI
Marlins - have family in Miami, been going to games since '95
Penguins - dad used to live in Pittsburgh and took me to a game before Mario retired for the first time
Nevada - alma matter

#15 ·
Chicago Bulls - Because I decided to get into basketball properly in 2010, since in 2011 I was going to Atlanta to watch the shittest WrestleMania in recent times and had tickets to watch Celtics @ Hawks. So I'm just trying to get clued up on the players since I hadn't watched in a long time and I started to watch Bulls and I see this point guard who is just doing these ridiculous drives and lay ups. From there I wanted to watch Bulls all the time and grew to love the rest of those players and grew to get fed up with the same player who made me suport the Bulls.

So I decided since I like Chicago Bulls, I'll support the rest of Chicago teams should I ever get invested in the other sports. So been watching quite a bit of NFL this year. Not completely clued up on it all yet, but really enjoy it. Obviously I root for the Bears. And I'm sad they're not going to the Play Offs :penaldo

#17 ·
La Lakers -- I heard Kobe was Batman and prevented several attempted rapings of white women by Chelsea players such as John Terry and Fat Lampard. I also started to become a fan of them (as opposed to just a basketball fan) around the time they had Kwame Brown, so I'll accept no "glory hunting" bullshit from any of you, especially not Chelski fans. I was a big Dwyane Wade fan coming out of MarQuette as well, so I kind of became a fan of the Heat based on that (same deal with Kemba Walker going to Charlotte, I guess). Then came The Decision and it made me feel dirty after that.

#27 ·
You became a fan of the LAKERS as a team during the time period in which Kobe was regularly carrying them in every single game, while they were sending out Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown as a starting alongside him? :deandre

#18 · (Edited)
Liverpool FC- I was addicted to cocaine at the time and saw Robbie Fowler sniffing the goal line after a goal. We bonded through the television. Now LFC are my drug.

Chicago Bulls- I was only a casual fan of the NBA and mostly watched Heat games because Lebron is a shareholder in LFC or something. Then I wanted to choose one team and I admired the Bulls' heart. :terry1 So I chose them.

Munster- I'm from there.

#21 ·
  • St. Louis Cardinals - I live in St. Louis, I go to a lot of their games, my parents and grandparents are Cardinals fans, etc.
  • Arsenal - When I first started watching soccer back a couple years ago, I just kind of chose a team and went with them. That team was Arsenal, and since then I have become a big fan.
  • Chicago Bulls - Once again, raised into it. My parents obviously loved the Bulls because of Jordan, Pipen, etc.
  • FC Barcelona - They are basically the team I support if Arsenal drop out of the Champions League. I guess you could call them my "backup" team. I still am a big fan though.
  • Liverpool - I legit respect the hell out of the club. I know a lot of Arsenal fans don't like Liverpool, but I don't care. They have one of the most loyal fanbases in the world. If I wans't an Arsenal fan, I would be a Liverpool fan.

#24 ·
  • St. Louis Cardinals - I live in St. Louis, I go to a lot of their games, my parents and grandparents are Cardinals fans, etc.
  • Arsenal - When I first started watching soccer back a couple years ago, I just kind of chose a team and went with them. That team was Arsenal, and since then I have become a big fan.
  • Chicago Bulls - Once again, raised into it. My parents obviously loved the Bulls because of Jordan, Pipen, etc.
  • FC Barcelona - They are basically the team I support if Arsenal drop out of the Champions League. I guess you could call them my "backup" team. I still am a big fan though.
  • Liverpool - I legit respect the hell out of the club. I know a lot of Arsenal fans don't like Liverpool, but I don't care. They have one of the most loyal fanbases in the world. If I wans't an Arsenal fan, I would be a Liverpool fan.
:kobe

#22 · (Edited)
Colorado Avalanche — My mom's side of the family is from Colorado, so I've always generally rooted for Denver teams.
Brooklyn Nets — New Jersey Nets season-ticket holder with my dad for about a decade before they (and I) moved.
Denver Broncos — (see: Avalanche, Colorado)
Vanderbilt Football/Basketball/Baseball/Women's Bowling/etc. — I went to Vanderbilt.
Colorado Rockies — (see: Broncos, Denver)
Denver Nuggets — I worked for them last year, which also coincided with my hometown team moving to another state.

#23 ·
I don't remember how old I was, maybe 9 or 10, but I was at my cousin's house and we were watching random channels. I wasn't must of a football fan when it comes to football outside of Egypt back then, but with my cousin we saw two teams play against each other. One team was red and the other was light blue, my cousin liked the color blue and I liked red more so we just cheered whichever color team we liked. The match wasn't even live and we were really hyped up just watching because we wanted our "color team" to win. The red team won, and from so on I would become a huge fan of Manchester United. I don't even remember which match it was, but I remember Gary Neville getting a red card.

#26 ·
Lakers: I watched all their games as a kid with my brother whenever they their games were on and all of their championship runs as a kid. Never really stopped watching them from when I first started and they were the only team I really got to watch consistently as a kid so they stuck really well.

Colts: I got into football via Madden and the team I chose to play with was the Ravens so when I first started watching I picked them. I didn't really like their brand of football, a naive kid but whatever, and clicked through the channels until I saw the COLTS and in particular a PEYTON drive. I was hooked after that and decided to follow them regularly.

Ducks: THE MIGHTY DUCKS>>>

#28 ·
Boston Red Sox - Live in Boston, grew up watching them and loved most of the guys that came into the organization.

Denver Nuggets - Didn't really get into basketball too much until 2006 or so. Started playing Live '07 (lollive) and enjoyed playing with them. Started really liking them after watching them for a season or so.

Carolina Panthers - Started following them in '05 or so. Really liked Steve Smith and got immersed into the team as a whole.

New York Mets - David Wright drew me in. Their '06ish team of Beltran, Wright, Reyes, Glavine, Pedro, V Zambrano, Bell & Wagner was fucking awesome and I really liked all of those guys. Got drawn in by Wright but I'll still follow them long after he's gone.

I definitely started straying away from the home town teams once I turned 10 or so. Except the Sox, love the Sox. I'll root for the Celts/Pats generally but I don't really have an emotional attachment to them.

Had a phase when I was younger where I liked the Charlotte Hornets only because of those nasty starter jackets. Their's was sick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.