Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Discussion Thread

520K views 5K replies 190 participants last post by  sXeMope 
#1 ·
#862 · (Edited)
AAW was fantastic tonight. Fucking stellar. Probably show of the year for them, and by far the best I've seen from them. Entertainment throughout. No spoilers, they're all over Twitter. Ethan Page and Ricochet, though, billed themselves as #NewAgeNationOfDomination and acted like The Nation for as long as they were out there. Page did Rock Bottoms and spine buster, Ricochet did the People's Moonsault, complete with theatrics and removing of elbow pad. And at the end of the second match they had, Page guided the audience (or attempted to) in a Nation theme song sing-a-long. It. Was. Wild.

#863 ·
AAW was fantastic tonight. Fucking stellar. Probably show of the year for them, and by far the best I've seen from them. Entertainment throughout. No spoilers, they're all over Twitter. Ethan Page and Ricochet, though, billed themselves as #NewAgeNationOfDomination and acted like The Nation for as long as they were out there. Page did Rock Bottoms and spine buster, Ricochet did the People's Moonsault, complete with theatrics and removing of elbow pad. And at the end of the second match they had, Page guided the audience (or attempted to) in a Nation theme song sing-a-long. It. Was. Wild.
MOTHER FUCKER.:p

#874 ·
Hey, some people on here like Zero Gravity :side:

Sounds like a good show, interested to see how Cage looked since everyone is raving about the match and the tag final since either team would make a great matchup for Page/Rico. Any word on why Ali wasn't there, was looking forward to O'Reilly/Ali.

#867 · (Edited)
Not sure of your use of "swag" here -- not your fault, I blame it on the kids and their overuse of that word. Kingston wasn't there, and Hollister got thrown around like a little bitch for 13+ minutes. Scarlett got snot-rocketed, and it was disturbingly nasty. Steen's nasal passages somehow emit an entire mist, who knew? Great performances from Silas and Jacobs, though. The finals of the Allegiance Tournament was off the charts good. The crowd was extremely into everything, minus one or two matches featuring the likes of Markus Crane, Heather Patera, Tony Rican, etc. Not going to throw any shade on them, though, they all tried hard and they didn't eat up much time at all. Women's match (Heidi Lovelace/Patera) went six and a half, and a match between Rican/Marion Fontaine/MsChif and Knight Wagner/Dan Lawrence/Crane went maybe eight. Nothing on the card overstayed its welcome, with most major matches running between 10-14 minutes. They kept a tight, brisk pace, and the action in the matches was pretty fast. I liked the change up here, especially considering this is the same company that just last year did a 60-minute draw AND a 30-minute draw.

My MOTN is Matt Cage vs. ACH. Cage is so, so good, and here was his breakout match. The face/heel dynamic here was among the clearest I've seen in some time, as ACH absorbed a nuclear level of cheers, while Cage played his heel role perfectly. At one point, he was jawing with a fan behind me, then he grabbed a bottle of water from the time keep and spit it all over him (and me). Later on, he attacked a fan, slapping off his hat and nearly knocking him off his seat. That really shocked me, because it wasn't the only instance of wrestlers pushing the envelope and crossing the line, and you know what? It worked. Those actions got Cage a monstrous amount of heat, and I had people coming up to me legitimately wanting to hurt him for what he did. They thought it was real, and never before have I seen the lines blurred quite like that. Not in person.

Man, Ethan Page and Ricochet. I can't get over it. They tried so very hard to play the heels, and they faced two ultra-babyface teams, and they still got cheered. Ricochet limited his flippy shit and Page was a huge dick to the fans, but you could sorta tell they were having way too much fun to keep up the act. Really go out of your way to check out their two matches. I believe they need to be seen to be believed.

As annoying as Steen can sometimes be in PWG and ROH -- the "bigger" indys -- I find his work for smaller companies really enjoyable. I'll admit that the match wasn't a five-star classic (probably ***1/4, honestly) but it served its purpose and it was fun. It was entertaining. The crowd was into Steen, and there had to be over 100 more people there than a typical AAW show, all because of Steen. Place was at capacity and then some, probably a good 300 people in a 250-capacity bingo hall. Poor guy almost ran out of shirts, too. In my mind, for all the business he's brought to AAW, all the people he's entertained, I don't mind his being annoying or hawking his shit. He's earned his place, in my mind. (He also wore a Young Bucks shirt instead of his own. I was hoping he'd have stuck in his Heisenberg T, though, which he had on before the event.)

Snowflakez, even though it's hard to determine such a thing from remembering off the top of my head:

Page/Ricochet vs. Zero Gravity - ***1/2
Young/Jacobs vs. Irish Airborne - **3/4
Heidi Lovelace vs. Heather Patera - **1/2 (Surprisingly hard-hitting contest, pretty fun watch)
Kyle O'Reilly vs. Louis Lyndon (No Ali) - ***1/4
Keith Walker vs. Sea-Man and Moondog Bernard - SQUASH (But a very, very entertaining one at that)
Matt Cage vs. ACH - ****
Crane/Lawrence/Wagner vs. Rican/Fontaine/MsChif - ** (Clear low point of the evening)
Marek Brave vs. Christian Rose, Loser Leaves Berwyn - *** (Unnecessary and stupid finish, but a decent brawl)
Page/Ricochet vs. ??? (;)) - ****
Steen vs. Hollister - ***1/4

Star ratings are low on some matches because the wrestling quality wasn't particularly high, but this show wasn't exactly about watching two guys gracefully trade holds for a half-hour. It was about chaos and energy and coming at the other guy as hard as you possibly can, so I guess I'd say this was a more strike-heavy show? Kicks and slaps and chops and punches and forearms and elbows. Plenty of flips from Lyndon and Ricochet to keep the kids happy. Stories got advanced more than the past three or four shows put together. There was a lot of comedy, a hot crowd, and dat pacing.

Pick up this show if you want to have a shit and a giggle. Good variety of matches. Women's match, a brawl or two, two championship matches, a Loser Leaves Town. Everything connected and resonated with the people. Best feeling in the world is being a part of a crowd that boos the shit out of the heels, but then stands up to applaud them after their matches out of respect. The whole "I don't like you, but I do respect you" thing.

And I officially talk too much. Sorry, broz. Just a bit beaming still. :p

#868 ·
Hutz

1. B-Boy & Mack vs. PPRay *1/2
2. Steen vs. ACH **3/4
3. Best Friends vs. Swann & Fox **3/4
4. Cage vs. Ciampa vs. Nese vs. Drake ***1/2
5. Strong vs. Gargano **3/4
6. PWG Tag Titles: Joey & Candice vs. The Bucks (c) ****1/4
7. PWG Title: O'Reilly vs. Cole (c) **1/2

The Bucks tag was amazing, the 4-way was madness... and that's about it. Skip the rest, for god's sake, unless you're a fan of mediocre matches with comedy overstying it's welcome, no sense for pacing, and unnecessary lenght with massive black holes.

#876 ·
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but apparently Davey is off of Final Battle and he's on AAW's December show on 12/28. I'm really curious as to why.
He's left ROH, that's why:

“With a heavy heart I can announce that myself and ROH have parted ways for good and I will not be at Final Battle. Please continue to support them and the incredible talent they have. Thanks for the memories. It was an amazing ride.”

#878 ·
Not sure why Prince Ali missed last night's show. But people were actually pretty vocal about it. Good sign. He's going places.

And Davey signed a contract to appear in AAW throughout the year, so maybe that has to do with it? Probably not, but he cut a promo last December saying he was contracted to appear at all the shows this year, even though he missed more than half them. I think he might show up on 12/28 just because the venue is a 4-5 hour drive from his home in STL.

#885 ·
This is true. Ali himself posts pics when he's on the job, looks like he works for some chem lab or something. Goggles and a lab coat, serious MsChif territory. If he missed the show to make some real people money, then I can't honestly say I blame him. He has to be one of like, maybe eight indy wrestlers who has enough smarts to have a great day job, which he puts before everything else. Can't wrestle forever.

#881 ·
A bit more on Davey leaving ROH:

PWInsider said:
The word making the rounds is that Davey Richards issued his announcement that he was done with Ring of Honor last night after being informed he was no longer booked by ROH for the 12/14 Final Battle event. How the company intended to announce that Richards was removed I have not confirmed as of this writing, but the belief among the wrestlers I've spoken to is that he made his farewell statement on his own, not as part of a planned ROH angle.

PWInsider.com has also learned that Richards was actually unbooked (one person used the term "fired") from the last set of ROH shows in Ohio and Michigan after the company was upset about comments he made in Great Britain's Total Wrestling Magazine about the company and how the ROH titles were not as important as they were once portrayed.

Richards was able to get himself back on the dates somehow and from speaking to several ROH talents today, I am told he made it a point to claim in front of the locker room that his comments in the magazine were incorrect and taken out of context.

We have also heard that Richards had been unhappy with plans for his final appearance at the Final Battle event, which may have been a factor in ROH removing him from the show. It stands to reason that if he was in the company doghouse and looked to be leaving, they would distance themselves before having a headache when it came to his last officially scheduled date with the promotion.

From speaking to a number of people, Richards' tryout in WWE with NXT had no bearing on the situation.

Richards' partner, Eddie Edwards is still scheduled for the 12/14 Final Battle event at the Hammerstein Ballroom.
If he and Eddie do get signed by WWE sometime next year, I wonder if he'll go back to working for Gabe for a little bit.

Infact, Gabe was asked this on twitter:

https://twitter.com/dfb9390/status/407010302119907328

#882 ·
And Davey's comments from the magazine for what it's worth:

The key quotes were, when asked if ROH changing the tag titles on three shows helped the tag team division, and he said, “Nah, those belts don’t mean nothing anymore, anyway.”

When asked about the iPPV issues, he said, “I don’t care. It doesn’t bother me. If they can’t get their crap together, that’s their problem. I just worry about showing up, doing my job in the ring, an they can do whatever they want with that stuff. It’s their deal.”

When asked about the ROH singles title, he said, “In my opinion, that title has been devalued vastly for the last few years. The booking of it has been really substandard and screwy. It helps guys get bookings when they’re holding it, but it’s kind of a death touch because you work hard to get it, and then it’s like you realize how screwy things become. And how the booking is so screwy with it, it’s just like a piece of metal, unfortunately. It has a rich history. I mean, look at the guys who have held it. Most of them have been very deserving in my opinion.”
I was wondering why ROH hadn't announced the last couple of matches for Final Battle (it was supposed to be Wolves vs. Lethal & Strong) since it's two weeks away. I guess any mix of those guys would fill like filler but especially now. I think if WWE doesn't sign them or waits a bit Davey could work a couple of shows with Gabe - I think enough time has passed so Gabe's not so angry at Davey anymore and any fresh matchups would be welcome.

#888 ·
PWG Matt Rushmore:

B-Boy & Willie Mack vs. PPRay - **3/4
ACH vs. Kevin Steen - ***
Best Friends vs. AR Fox & Rich Swann - ***
Cage vs. Ciampa vs. Younger vs. Nese - ***1/2
Roderick Strong vs. Johnny Gargano - ***3/4
Young Bucks vs. Candice & Joey - ****1/4
Adam Cole vs. Kyle O'Reilly - ****

#895 ·
PWInsider said:
Former NWA champion Adam Pearce wrote on Twitter that he was on a plane bound to Orlando, Florida and wrote "The next chapter begins. #Thankful"

In asking several WWE developmental talents, I am told Pearce is scheduled to be at the Performance Center this week as a guest trainer.
Be interesting if the guest trainer position turns into a permanent one sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.