Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - TNA Announces Multi-Year Extension Of Major International Television Deal
View Single Post
post #41 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM
TEWA
Humbled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: TNA Announces Multi-Year Extension Of Major International Television Deal

Bryan Alaverez on the deal

Quote:
A source who has covered pro-wrestling in Japan for decades told us that, in fact, it's really not a big deal at all and nobody in Japan is talking about it. "As you know, unlike in the US, the Japanese cable penetration situation is terrible at best. It's very, very weak and most people only watch seven or eight terrestrial broadcast stations. Even within Tokyo, they carry different stations zone by zone, so we have no idea who can watch which station and who can't even if they have money to subscribe the channel. It's not a question of money; some districts simply didn't carry some stations. It's a mess. Movie lovers (especially Hollywood-made) like me may subscribe to the WOWOW station but that's about it. WOWOW is kind of like HBO, but they also broadcast boxing and UFC. The G+ station—who cares. Only Yomiuri Giants (the most popular baseball team with money in Tokyo) fanatics watch G+, because they always broadcast complete games no matter what. The terrestrial NTV station also carries important home games, so there is no need to watch G+ unless you are a crazy fan who wants to watch away games as well. I knew G+ carried TNA but I never watched it by myself, and I'm NOT an exception at all. None of the top wrestling/MMA critics in Japan ever watch G+ as well. Their whole press release is just propaganda."

At the end of the day, whether anyone in Japan watches TNA or not, the idea is to make as much money in rights fees as possible internationally. It's not like there are plans to tour Japan anytime soon, so if the company can make money off the deal, the viewership is pretty much unimportant.

Last edited by TEWA; 11-29-2013 at 10:54 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome