• Punk

Votes: 151 48.6%
  • Lesnar with Heyman

Votes: 160 51.4%

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar - THE BEST VS. THE BEAST

187K views 2K replies 589 participants last post by  Evolution 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

wwe.com said:
When CM Punk steps into the ring to fight Paul Heyman client Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam, he will face a Superstar who, in Punk’s words, is “a monster."

Against The Anomaly, The Straight Edge Superstar will have a near 50-pound weight disadvantage, as well as a reach disadvantage, never mind an obvious shortcoming in the strength department. Depending on how well he recovers from Lesnar’s savage attack on the July 15 edition of Raw — an incident that resulted in whiplash and strained knee and ankle ligaments for Punk — The Voice of the Voiceless may well be competing at less-than-peak form against an athletic abnormality who wrestles a part-time schedule.

But one factor that will not work against Punk when he arrives at Los Angeles’ STAPLES Center is fear. The Straight Edge Superstar concedes that Lesnar is every bit The Beast Incarnate that Heyman makes him out to be, but according to Punk, beasts like Lesnar exist for only one reason: to be slayed.

Punk has vowed to remove any obstacle between himself and the man who double-crossed him, Heyman. Motivated not only by the sting of betrayal, but also the uncomfortably personal remarks spouted by WWE’s extreme strategist, The Best in the World will likely need every ounce of fearlessness if he hopes to topple the biggest obstacle of them all in Lesnar.

The scene on July 15’s Raw did little to instill confidence in Punk supporters. Made to look like a courageous but overwhelmed civilian by The Anomaly, The Straight Edge Superstar displayed plenty of heart in the encounter, repeatedly pulling himself up by the bootstraps and reengaging in battle. Yet, when the dust settled, Lesnar appeared to have won the dust-up handily.

Punk insists the results will be different at SummerSlam. As unforgiving as Lesnar has proven to be, The Best in the World may be even more unrelenting. The Beast took the first several rounds of battle with relative ease, but with the war set to culminate at SummerSlam — inside the domain where Punk feels most at home, the squared circle — Lesnar’s victory is far from a fait accomplished.

Adding in the deeply personal overtones of the Heyman-Punk rivalry, there is reason to believe the fearless and untiring Straight Edge Superstar will stop at nothing to gain the win. Whether or not The Beast Incarnate can actually be slayed, however, might be a different story altogether.

Find out what happens when The Best takes on The Beast at SummerSlam, live on pay-per-view on Sunday, Aug. 18.

See less See more
6 1
#1,045 ·
Re: CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar & Paul Heyman Feud

The extent of some of the Punk hate baffles me. It happens with every IWC favorite once they become popular.

To the one who said Punk was one of the worst drawing champions in history: How often did Punk get the main event segments? He was never properly given a chance to prove himself. He still managed to gain viewers when he was on TV and does that even now.

Wanna know who is one of the worst drawing champions in history? Shawn Michaels. Did we dismiss his matches against Undertaker and Batista because he is too small? (He was quite skinny by that point too) No. So shut the fuck up with your arguments about Punk and Lesnar.

Yes, Punk charged fearlessly at Lesnar. And then got his ass kicked. What's unrealistic about that? Punk is looking and fighting like a true underdog that refuses to give up while Lesnar is this insurmountable obstacle. That's exactly the way the match will be booked. Remember Taker vs Michaels HIAC when Kane made his debut? HBK got destroyed for the majority of the match. Same case here. I really doubt how many of these haters really pay attention to Punk's matches against bigger men. He is a very smart wrestler and structures his matches against his opponents very wisely. He adapts his style according to the man he's facing.

Against Lesnar, he will keep getting tossed around, battered and bloodied. With some weapons and high spots, there will be a few moments where the fans get some hope of him pulling it off. Eventually Lesnar puts him down but Punk wins the respect of fans all over. Then, he starts his journey back up, winning the Rumble and fighting for the title at Mania.

Who wins or loses doesn't matter, it's the way they structure it that's important. If your obvious Punk hate is blinding you to the awesomeness of this feud, with some of the best mic work and intensity and personal vibe to it, then I pity you. The magic of pro wrestling will never amaze you at this rate.

#1,057 · (Edited)

To the one who said Punk was one of the worst drawing champions in history: How often did Punk get the main event segments? He was never properly given a chance to prove himself.
And if this were only based off each show's main event's ratings you might have a point but we are basing Punk's low drawing ability on THE SEGMENTS HE WAS ACTUALLY IN AND FAILED TO DRAW INTEREST TO. He was given a chance after RAW 1000 to prove himself after Cena got injured and disappeared from the show. RAW scored the lowest ratings then since 1995 with Diesel. People don't relate to Punk as champ. At least there aren't enough people who do to justify his position and push.

He still managed to gain viewers when he was on TV and does that even now.
Overall viewer ship has declined considerably since Punk moved up to the #2 spot. That's just a fact.

Wanna know who is one of the worst drawing champions in history? Shawn Michaels.
You are not wrong there. Of course when HBK had his shot WCW was around kicking ass. What's Punk's excuse? TNA? :lmao

Reactions: LRG
#1,056 ·

Thought this would be more appropriate here.

Because it isn't very believable. No one was saying it was an impossibility, but it's very highly improbable should it be booked realistically. The only thing that's actually stupid in that thread are the people who think Punk vs Brock is basically a wash and are practically dead even.

If Punk fought Brock in the octagon at the next UFC PPV, Brock would be favored 20 to 1 at least in Vegas odds, and I'm being VERY generous to Punk with those odds. Punk winning is possible, it just isn't likely and sure as hell isn't anywhere remotely close to 50/50. That's what people arguing in favor of Brock are trying to say; not that Punk couldn't possibly win under any circumstances. Just that the margin is huge in favor of Brock because it is.
But this isn't the UFC and Punk isn't (and wasn't meant to be) a MMA wrestler, he is a pro-wrestler. And kayfabe-wise, he the best at it. Whereas Brock on the other hand is more of a powerhouse, a brawler, a monster, and more importantly a believable monster. Both of them are the best in their respective departments. And now, with things getting bitter between them both personally and professionally, they're going against each other. That's the fucking story. Brock knocking out Randy Couture in the UFC isn't.

And that's how this business works. You've got two men having issues with each other, and they settle it in the ring - that's it. Did you find Rey Mysterio beating Chris Jericho not believable because Chris Jericho could take down a man as huge as Goldberg in a shoot? Did you find Cody Rhodes beating Booker T not believable because Booker T could knock out an MMA wrestler like Batista irl? Then why the fuck would you consider Brock beating MMA wrestlers as a reason as to why a guy like Punk can't look believable enough in front of him while it isn't even the part of this story? Fucking morons. This is just like every other big guy versus small guy professional wrestling match.

#156 ·
Re: Who needs the win more Lesnar or Punk

Lesner cant lose to a scrawny vanilla midget. #Fact

Punk has to take the squash defeat.

Oh and people saying Punk will be around for along time he's always said he will be retiring young. Isnt he supposed to be opening a comicbook store soon?

Time for Punk to start jobbing. His final match should be CM Punk vs CP Monk the straightedge chipmonk.

#202 ·
Re: Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk feud

This is the problem with dream feuds between two top guys. Makes a shit ton of money for WWE because everybody wants to see it, but somebody has to lose, so a whole bunch of marks get butthurt when their guy has to lose one match.

As far as I'm concerned I couldnt care less who wins this feud, I just want to watch it happen.

#284 ·

As a huge fan of CM Punk, it really bothers me when I see that people think that he must win a specific match. For the record, I do not think that he needs to win against Lesnar. Heck, I think it would be best for both men if Punk loses uncleanly after giving a valiant effort (maybe a Hart/Austin sort of ending?). But saying that CM Punk needs to win something or else he will not look credible just makes no sense if you look at who CM Punk is.

When we look at Punk, we should not look at him the same way we look at guys like Goldberg, Hogan, HHH, or Cena. Those kinds of stars made their name off of winning, and it is part of their character to win big matches. A guy like Goldberg needed victories to keep his aura, while guys like HHH needed to win because they are at their best in a dominating position, while guys like Cena or Hogan need a victory because of their heroic image. CM Punk is not any of those guys.

A better line of vision for a guy like Punk should be similar to that of Jeff Hardy, Mick Foley, The Rock, or Chris Jericho; guys that never really needed to win in order to become big stars and maintain their stardom. CM Punk will always be very over at this point. He has one of the strongest cult fanbases in wrestling history, and he always has his elite mic work to keep him over. This is very similar to The Rock in that The Rock is known for putting wrestlers over and losing more often than most #1 guys, or that of Jeff Hardy who works best chasing rather than dominating. CM Punk is not a large imposing guy like Goldberg; he does not have a special aura that needs to be maintained. On top of that, it would not make sense for a "smaller" guy to win so often against giants. In addition, people want to feel sympathetic for Punk because even though he's a jerk, he's the most lovable jerk in all of wrestling. He is that alternate to people that may not dig Cena, and that is enough for him.

After a long and historic title reign, CM Punk's name in history will be etched in as the guy that held the title for a record 434 days. His days of winning all the PPV matches are over; he doesn't need it anymore. People do not care that he lost to The Rock or Undertaker. They care that he looked awesome against those guys and took them both to the limit inside and outside the ring. In a similar sense, people won't think less of Punk if he loses to Lesnar. Just the mere opportunity of working with a big name is enough for him. When you have a fanbase as dedicated as his, even a burial will not stop him.

#289 ·

A better line of vision for a guy like Punk should be similar to that of Jeff Hardy, Mick Foley, The Rock, or Chris Jericho; guys that never really needed to win in order to become big stars and maintain their stardom.
I get what you are saying, but Punk isn't a Chris Jericho type. Punk can shake off losses to Lesnar (And Lesnar will win that fight. Count on it.) but not really to lesser opponents. Jericho could lose to 3MB for a month straight and be taken seriously the following night against a world champ. Punk can't. He could turn into a Jericho type in a few years (barring that big retirement in 2 years Punk keeps talking about) but he isn't there yet. Punk still has to build up a legacy. Punk is the kind of guy who needs wins right now....they just have to be believable wins...and beating Lesnar is as believable as Punk beating Taker. He can come close but NEVER succeed.

#450 ·
Re: Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk Feud

Punk/Heyman promo Monday should be nice. I don't think Brock will be there though which sucks but there's plenty of time for that. You never know, maybe Punk will get his arm BORKED to kill some time and then ultimately win the match with the steel steps.

:lol mblonde09 though. Why so mad?

:punk2
Ah, the steel steps.

Hogan/Savage, Bret/Michaels, Austin/Rock, Punk/Cena, Lesnar/Steps

#504 ·

Coming from a Rock fan, fuck that's ironic :rolleyes:
sorry but as a rock mark I gotta say there those who are much more tolerable than mblonde09 and wrestlingfan35

especially mblonde09, Punk is awesome and all but this guy has a fixation on him, he throws a fit anytime someone mentions a tiny negative on Punk (or hell, not even Punk but a program involving Punk)

mind you this is the guy who still believes that Punk's promo was a legit shoot, and that Vince loved the idea so he kept on with it..

#509 ·

mind you this is the guy who still believes that Punk's promo was a legit shoot, and that Vince loved the idea so he kept on with it..
Punks Shoot was unscripted but Vince knew he was going out there to shoot his grievances. As a Punk mark i admit that most of us are complete nonsensical yes men who will follow punk and never question anything he does but personally i find alot of D.Brys marks to be very biased.

As for the feud i see it being more Punk/Heyman than Punk/Brock.

#649 ·
Re: Question to CM Punk fans: Why are you excited about Lesnar/punk program exactly?

1) never been done before
2) interesting clash of styles
3) punk/heyman = GOAT
4) not likely to be repeated over and over again
5) cm punk is in it
6) Paul Heyman is involved
7) Brock Lesnar will wrestle
8) no McMahons
9) no Cena
10) "dream match"

#680 · (Edited)
Re: So if punk beats lesnar at summerslam will lesnar still be considered a threat?

If they go about it the correct way then of course. They need to have Punk use his speed and quickness to tire Lesnar out and use his Kicks to keep Lesnar apart from him, and when he gets Lesnar grounded use submissions to try and wear him down. He basically needs wrestle Lesnar in a similar way to how he wrestled Mark Henry but with even more speed and NO BRAWLING (because THAT is too unbelievable.)

Eventually Punk should get a surprise win after giving Lesnar a GTS with his knee pad pulled down in a vicious manner. If done in that way, and allowing Brock to stretcher Punk out post-match (the way Cena should have been) Lesnar won't lose anything from the encounter.

#767 ·
Re: So if punk beats lesnar at summerslam will lesnar still be considered a threat?

No. Not against Taker or Rock who he's scheduled to face at Mania. Punk couldn't beat those guys but can beat Lesnar? And then Lesnar is suppose to look strong against those guys? It is why Lesnar is gonna beat Punk at Summerslam. The only way I can see Punk beating Lesnar is by DQ.

He basically needs wrestle Lesnar in a similar way to how he wrestled Mark Henry but with even more speed and NO BRAWLING (because THAT is too unbelievable.)
2 problems.

1. Punk isn't that fast.
2. Lesnar is faster than Punk.

Reactions: Billion Dollar Man
#806 ·

I'm not one to harp on wins and losses in wreslting, but Lesnar being 2-2 and being booked as this unstoppable monster is kind of hypocritical, and completely laughable. He should be going into WM 30 undefeated and go up against either Undertaker or Cena. Tell me that wouldn't have gotten a HUGE buyrate. An unstoppable, undefeated monster in Brock Lesnar either challenging the Undertaker's streak, or going up against Cena for the WWE Title. Either match would draw alot.

Instead he's going into WM either 2-3 or 3-2 depending on this upcoming match. If he loses this match, WWE booking him as an unstoppable monster will be even more laughable than it already is, unfortunately.

#821 · (Edited)

I'm not one to harp on wins and losses in wreslting, but Lesnar being 2-2 and being booked as this unstoppable monster is kind of hypocritical, and completely laughable. He should be going into WM 30 undefeated and go up against either Undertaker or Cena. Tell me that wouldn't have gotten a HUGE buyrate. An unstoppable, undefeated monster in Brock Lesnar either challenging the Undertaker's streak, or going up against Cena for the WWE Title. Either match would draw alot.

Instead he's going into WM either 2-3 or 3-2 depending on this upcoming match. If he loses this match, WWE booking him as an unstoppable monster will be even more laughable than it already is, unfortunately.
2-2, and his last "win" was basically a loss.

He's basically 1-3 now. So losing to Punk makes him basically 1-4. Or, even worse, if the match is booked like his last match with Triple H was, his image will be damaged even more even if he gets the pointless win after being booked like a crying begging bitch to satiate Triple H's massive ego again.

HBK vs. Vader...nuff said. Another example of how size difference means fuck all. And that match was a classic, but Vader was even bigger than Brock.
The difference is: HBK actually wrestles like he's getting overpowered when fighting much stronger wrestlers. CM Punk wrestles like he has equal or nearly equal strength to guys who are twice as powerful as him. He beats them going straight ahead, not struggling to get offense in.

Size means fuck all when the smaller guy does it right by wrestling (acting) to his size by comparison. Punk wrestles and acts way above what his size actually is, so yeah, it actually does mean something since it doesn't come across as very realistic when he wrestles powerful guys.

I don't want to see Punk driving Lesnar back into the apron and locking up with him and overpowering him with strikes when Lesnar is literally twice as strong as Punk AND faster, and more skilled, and in better shape. It's fake as hell and makes it hard to enjoy Lesnar even being there.

Punk should be getting overpowered every time they lock up and he should be struggling for offense (using kicks and chairs and shit). He should not be tackling him back and overpowering him. That's fake as fuck since Punk is too small and weak to make it look right. Dude's being booked like he has Cena or Ryback's body right now. Actually, even Cena would wrestle as the weaker guy against Lesnar because he understands that is supposed to be his role.

I do not think agile means what some of you think it means. Punk is way more agile than Brock.
Actually he's not. Certainly not "way more", if at all.

Reactions: Mr. WrestleMania
#935 ·

Oh god, the amount of stupidity in this thread. Im glad this doesnt represent the way the majority of wrestling fans think.
Get this: If Punk is booked to look strong, he will be look strong. This is professional fucking wrestling. Punk could be booked to squash Brock in two minutes, and it would look credible because both guys are top-tier ring workers that can make it work. Punk is the number 2 guy in the goddamn company. Casuals accepted him as a credible threat to the Undertaker, to Cena, to Triple H. Size is a non-factor in 2013, after guys like HBk, Edge and Rey Mysterio.

I am glad well get to see this match, because both guys are amazing ring workers that can put on a classic against each other, regardless of the result.

#937 ·

Oh god, the amount of stupidity in this thread. Im glad this doesnt represent the way the majority of wrestling fans think.
Get this: If Punk is booked to look strong, he will be look strong. This is professional fucking wrestling. Punk could be booked to squash Brock in two minutes, and it would look credible because both guys are top-tier ring workers that can make it work. Punk is the number 2 guy in the goddamn company. Casuals accepted him as a credible threat to the Undertaker, to Cena, to Triple H. Size is a non-factor in 2013, after guys like HBk, Edge and Rey Mysterio.

I am glad well get to see this match, because both guys are amazing ring workers that can put on a classic against each other, regardless of the result.
Exactly how many casuals have you actually spoken to about it? Because all the casuals fans I know of see Punk as a joke and say stuff like " I know wrestling fake, but C'mon" when they see Punk fighting guys like Cena, Lesnar, Rock, etc.

#1,005 · (Edited)

The only reason Lesnar is even back in the WWE, is because he couldn't cut it in the UFC any more. He's not a legit MMA fighter now, he is a pro-wrestler, he's back in the land of make-believe - a world where reality is thrown out the window, and ANYTHING is possible... and if that means losing to Punk, then so be it. As for all this whinging and crying about Lesnar's "aura" being damaged... as I've pointed out before, Lesnar's aura has long gone - I'd say it went around the time Velasquez was knocking him about and left him cowering on the mat, with a vagina under his eye...

aura going...

...going

gone....

Plus, add the fact that since being back, Lesnar has already lost two out of his three matches - both to men that Punk has more than comfortably, been able to hang with, so this talk about Lesnar's "aura", is moot, anyway... he is simply just another WWE superstar now. Also, like THANOS said, a win for Lesnar does nothing to improve his standing... but a win for Punk is HUGE. Not to mention that the crowd will be behind Punk - like they were on Monday, and will want to see him overcome the beast. As for those questioning why Punk is calling out Lesnar and not acting scared, the answer is simple... Punk's character is built on the premise of him being a maverick, and Punk simply doesn't give a shit - in his mind, he is the best in the world. He knows he is going to get a beating, but he'll gladly accept it, if it means he can get his hands on Lesnar.

#1,009 · (Edited)

The only reason Lesnar is even back in the WWE, is because he couldn't cut it in the UFC any more. He's not a legit MMA fighter now, he is a pro-wrestler, he's back in the land of make-believe - a world where reality is thrown out the window, and ANYTHING is possible... and if that means losing to Punk, then so be it. As for all this whinging and crying about Lesnar's "aura" being damaged... as I've pointed out before, Lesnar's aura has long gone - I'd say it went around the time Velasquez was knocking him about and left him cowering on the mat, with a vagina under his eye...

aura going...

...going

gone....

Plus, add the fact that since being back, Lesnar has already lost two out of his three matches - both to men that Punk has more than comfortably, been able to hang with, so this talk about Lesnar's "aura", is moot, anyway... he is simply just another WWE superstar now. Also, like THANOS said, a win for Lesnar does nothing to improve his standing... but a win for Punk is HUGE. Not to mention that the crowd will be behind Punk - like they were on Monday, and will want to see him overcome the beast. As for those questioning why Punk is calling out Lesnar and not acting scared, the answer is simple... Punk's character is built on the premise of him being a maverick, and Punk simply doesn't give a shit - in his mind, he is the best in the world. He knows he is going to get a beating, but he'll gladly accept it, if it means he can get his hands on Lesnar.
Sounds like SOMEBODY doesn't like Brock at all. :brock

Yeah he got his ass handed to him by Cain but I think his Aura disappeared the moment that damn DISEASE got to him. It was already affecting him even when he basically ESCAPED with a submission(of all things) win against Carwin.

But regardless of where Brock is now(land of make-believe; same place as PUNK. Imagine that....), he STILL has that Aura of LEGITIMACY because he went into a LEGIT fighting sport and was the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP of that sport. That put him on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT level than any of the current WWE Superstars, IMO.

All that said, I fully expect a LESNAR/PUNK TRILOGY to occur 'cause if it's only one match and that's it, then I don't see Brock losing to Punk in that one match. I see him(oh excuse me....let me use *YOUR* logic here) or rather see his CHARACTER basically destroy Punk ultimately.

Punk will EVENTUALLY get his hands on Heyman at some point but not at the expense of BORK LASER.

#1,075 ·

Goddammit guys, it's pro wrestling.

You know why I think Punk fits in the same ring as Lesnar? Because WWE fucking booked it that way and it's happening and it'll probably be a fantastic match. I'm not the kind of person that sits there and critiques the shit out of everything I watch to the point where I find no enjoyment in anything.

#1,077 ·

Goddammit guys, it's pro wrestling.

You know why I think Punk fits in the same ring as Lesnar? Because WWE fucking booked it that way and it's happening and it'll probably be a fantastic match. I'm not the kind of person that sits there and critiques the shit out of everything I watch to the point where I find no enjoyment in anything.

The great equalizer, for anyone still in doubt.

I'm counting on there being plunder.

#1,155 ·

LOL at the Bryan vs Punk marks attacking each other.

Reminds me of Rock/Punk...while you people were concerned about who was burying who and how Punk was too indy or Rock was too much holding/past his prime back I was focused on enjoying a feud between my alltime Nr.2 and One of my current WWE Top Guys. Of course if A Double ever joined the WWE and feuded with The Rock it would have been an even better experience, but Punk vs Rock felt out of this world for me, considering I never believed in Rock feuding with anybody else but Cena so the Punk/Rock feud was a huge surprise.

Now you got another blockbuster in Punk vs Lesnar, and instead of people thinking about enjoying the match they are concernted about the winner. Well, guess what, even If Lesnar wins, Punk will still look good based on storytelling, I'd rather Punk lose a hard fought battle agaisnt Lesnar and be put over than Lesnar losing against Triple H and Cena in the most awkward fashion and neither guy getting any profit from wrestling him ever.

#1,158 ·

This program, thus far, has become exactly what I hoped and more. It's insane how good it is. Two promo-of-the-year segments in a row by Heyman and Punk. Not to mention, Punk has become such an easy character to get behind in this program it's crazy.

This program just makes every other thing on the show look like shit, and not just because everything else is. This program is just so far ahead.

#1,312 ·
Everyone could be here for days debating who should win and for what reasons.

What I will say though is, that this CM Punk vs Lesnar/Heyman program has to be longer then one match, it just would seemed to squashed into such little space for Punk just to win at Summerslam for example and get his revenge that quick, I think Lesnar destroying Punk would be good. I'm a bit concerned with what Punk is gonna be doing after this Summerslam match, Brock is a part timer and won't be around and if Punk wins where's that really leave him? I sense his got not much direction if he wins over Lesnar, losing to Lesnar could destroy him for a while and see him return to the top by winning the Rumble which is in Chicago in 2014 and going to mainevent Wrestlemania against Lesnar or someone else for the title.

Put it this way, but Punk deserves to close a Mania more then any other person on the current roster no questions asked, you can't deny it but his opponent needs to be someone big like a John Cena or Brock Lesnar with the title involved in both scenarios, the match with Cena could be a match that ends there feud and whoever wins is the better man or what not and with Lesnar it could be Punk getting his retribution on Lesnar and Heyman which has nearly taking a whole year to get. That would be the best way for the Lesnar/Punk scenario to play out and Brock will look monstrous after beating Punk at Summerslam and winning the Title somewhere between then and Mania he would look like a legit beast.

But I think if Summerslam isn't booked right more so for Punk then Lesnar it could really destroy him, cause I can't see much for him between Summerslam and Wrestlemania season, and I doubt he will be going near the title.

#1,447 ·
BROCK promo from Smackdown tonight:

At times I could tell he was reading from a script/cue cards but I think the overall message came off strong and continue to build off the intensity from the BROCK/Punk physical encounters. I'm also liking with this promo they do shift more of the personal animosity side of the feud to the two competitors and not just Heyman's rivalry with his former best friend. Entertaining stuff again with THE BEAST on the mic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.