Wrestling Forum banner

Wrestling Rumors & Title Runs

17K views 63 replies 37 participants last post by  Aguda 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone know any wrestlers who were supposed to get title runs but plans changed.

- Nikita Kolloff had an offer from VKM to win the IC title and ME Wrestlemania 2 vs. Hulk Hogan
- Brutas Beefcake was supposed to get an IC title twice in 1988 (warrior had a better reaction) and 1990 (injured)
- Butch Reed was supposed to beat Steamboat for the IC title but he showed up to the arena late.
- The CanAm connection was supposed to get the WWF Tag Titles. But Zenk left and they formed Strike Force

#45 ·
There's always the element of Vince telling these guys what they want to hear to keep them motivated. Or alternative long storylines that really were never likely to place anyways.

Lex Luger was on record saying he was going to win at WM 10 and then he blabbed about it at a bar and Hart won. Really that outcome was decided at the Rumble when Hart out popped him in the disputed finish. If you're Vince you got to string them along at times to keep them motivated.

#49 ·
Lex Luger was on record saying he was going to win at WM 10 and then he blabbed about it at a bar and Hart won. Really that outcome was decided at the Rumble when Hart out popped him in the disputed finish. If you're Vince you got to string them along at times to keep them motivated.
Luger debunked that urban legend in a 2009 interview:

And I've heard these crazy rumors. Someone saw something on Wikipedia one time - which is not an encyclopedia. You can type in and change whatever you want that I was in a bar, messed up, telling everyone I was going to win so they didn't do it. But I was actually, the night before, not in a bar in New York saying I was going to win the World Title. I was actually staying two hours away from New York for the site of Wrestlemania at my wife's friend's house in Connecticut. So I wasn't anywhere near a bar telling people I was going to win the World Title.

To be honest with you, I knew maybe a few months before WrestleMania because my family had never been to an event. So I asked (The WWF) for tickets to WrestleMania and Vince was upset. He called me into his office, this is months and months before WrestleMania, and he goes, "Lex, you know, you're not going to be winning the belt at WrestleMania." And my ex-wife Peggy had some really good friends out of New York. Their family had kids the same age as my kids, so I wanted them there no matter what. So I said, "Vince, I just want them to go to the event with their friends. It doesn't matter. That doesn't have anything to do with me wanting tickets." So he let me know months out that I was not going to be World Champion at WrestleMania because he was worried about me flying my whole family in to celebrate me winning the title and he was courteous enough to tell me that I wasn't winning the belt. So I knew months out.

#61 ·
I've read both Foley's and HBK's books and neither says anything about Foley winning the title, which pretty much means that was never planned.

The plan was for HBK to lose the title to Vader and then win it back at the Rumble in his hometown. The scenario stayed the same in the end except Vader was replaced by Sid.

#62 ·
Kurt Angle stated in his shoot interview that he was originally booked to win the first Undisputed championship at Vengeance 2001, but vouched for Jericho to get the rub instead. Not sure if this is credible or not, seems kinda suspect.

#63 ·
The finish for the In Your House match between Mankind and HBK was changed about 5 minutes before the end of the match by Vince at ringside. Mankind was originally supposed to win the WWF Championship
I'm sure it was discussed, but I don't think there was ever any real intention of Foley winning the title that night. I did hear the match ended on a disqualification though so Undertaker could be the first guy to pin Mankind, which he did at the Survivor Series.

- Vic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.