Wrestling Forum banner

NWA World Title

4K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  USAUSA1 
#1 ·
Who should the NWA put the belt on....

Rob Conway is not Championship material.

My top 10 potential NWA Championsh would be

Takeshi Morishima
John Morosin
Shelton Benjamin
Slyvester Terkay
Renee Dupree
Low Ki
Carlito Colon
Karl Anderson
Joe Doering
Trevor Murdoch
Colt Cabana

#5 ·
I personally think Conway has been a decent champ for the NWA in this new regime. If they don't get that site up and running I feel that will lose some connectivity for me. They aren't good with using tech it seems.

Conway has been putting on more traditional, lengthy affairs for the belt it seems. Being a former WWE guy helps bring his name value to the belt. Doubt NJPW would have been as interested in having the NWA Heavyweight Championship defended on their shows with a lesser name. Not a big one but big enough.

That being said others that I wouldn't mind with the belt:
1.Chris Masters
Seems like he'd be a perfect guy to have the strap on with the name value mixed with in ring ability that would be a not so flashy but so damn effective style.

2.Lance Hoyt
He's the current NWA Tag Team champ but would be a total monster champion like he was in TCW.

3.DH Smith
Maybe a little bland but hey could probably make some entertaining matches around the world with belt since he might not be great at any style but is good enough at quite a bit.

4.Michael Tarver
This is a fucking stretch I'm aware. I haven't seen a ton of the man but from what I've seen of late he could put on some psychologically sound matches.

5.Gunner
I'm going to hope TNA releases him out of nowhere because I think he'd make a real grand champ. Seemed like one of the stars of the system while he was there and if he was released I'm sure he'd pick up close to where he left off.

#7 ·
I like Rob Conway as the World Champion. He's got a great look, he can work and he can talk. In fact, I think he's the best NWA Champion since Jeff Jarrett, personally. But let's examine your suggestions, shall we?

Takeshi Morishima - Great wrestler, but he wouldn't draw flies in Charlotte if you covered him in horse manure.
John Morosin - I'm assuming you mean John Morrison, righ? - and, by the way, how the fuck is it that you can spell Morishima but not s common name like Morrison? - Again, great talent, decent on the mic, but he's a sports entertainer, not a wrestler. So no.
Shelton Benjamin - I'm not convinced you aren't trolling at this point. Shelton's a phenomenal wrestler, but he's not even close to championship material.
Slyvester Terkay - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I've been more excited at the prospect of watching pain drying that Sylvester Terkay.
Renee Dupree - Again, great wrestler, can talk, but I don't see anyone paying to watch him as a World Champion. Especially in the south.
Low Ki - You know it's the World Heavyweight Championship, right? Even discounting the fact that he's a one-trick pony whose promos are like listening to static on television - my God, his promos are fucking atrocious - he weighs what? A buck fifty? Tell him to dial Dominos, keep 'em coming and throw his name forwards again when he puts on eighty pounds.
Carlito Colon - I'm for this. Not just for his look, talent or charisma, but the fact that his father is a former Champ adds spice.
Karl Anderson - No. Fuck no. Hell to the fucking no. Never. Ever. Ever. Ever.
Joe Doering - Who?
Trevor Murdoch - I like Murdoch, but he'd have to really establish himself as a singles star first.
Colt Cabana - You know this is the oldest, most prestigious title in the world, right? Don't get me wrong, I love Colt, I enjoy his work, but he's at his best as a comedy wrestler. And the NWA World Heavyweight Title is no fucking joke.

As Concrete said, Masters and Hoyt should be next in line. I'd even be tempted to throw Dustin Rhodes in there.

#8 ·
I think Lane's post sums up the opinion of most fans. NWA has it's place in history, but those days are long gone. Looking at the title history on Wikipedia, it's been quite a while since anyone relevant has won it.

But out of all the people you mentioned, I think Morrison could be the best candidate. He did fairly well in WWE and hasn't been gone that long, so people still remember him. IMO he brings the name value more than Benjamin, Carlito, or Murdoch would.

#10 ·
I think the use of the belt in NJPW has totally boosted its relevancy in pro wrestling. Is it ever the selling point of the card there? Not even close. Does it produce great matches? No, not really there either. Has Conway done good enough to put together a decent match with the NJPW guys while creating a cool down effect? Yeppers, not bad matches at all but also there wasn't stellar opposition.

I think NWA has pieces in place right now. Take a look at their male champs:
NWA HEAVYWEIGHT: Rob Conway
NWA JR. HEAVYWEIGHT:Chase Owens
NWA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS:KES

Not bad champs I'd say. Texas is probably the most focused on territory and I have no problem with that. Wouldn't mind an international star taking it. It would though have to be more of a star and not just a guy.

#13 ·
With his "Out of Your Mind Fitness" programme, if they want it to get any sort of media attention, they'll put it on John Morrison (if he wants it). But they don't strike me as the sort of people who would put their title on a person who would bring attention to it. Probably Rob Conway or something will keep it.

#16 ·
I get what the OP is saying. The NWA was well aware what was going to happen with TNA and they had no plan. If I was in charge of the NWA I'd start an angle where Christian is ducking the top TNA stars and using his clout to keep them out of TNA. Brian Danielson would then be the #1 contender and would challenge Christian.

After Kurt Angle beat Christian for the NWA/TNA World title I'd do a Angle vs. Danielson match over in the IGF and give Danielson the belt. Then the title could have bounced around from Danielson to Castignolli, Albright, and Pearce.

#18 ·
New Japan Pro Wrestling's Satoshi Kojima and Hiroyoshi Tenzan, the current reigning IWGP tag team champions, will be coming to Texas to appear at NWA Houston (October 18) and NWA Branded Outlaw Wrestling (October 19) events in Houston and San Antonio!!!

Pretty cool

#19 ·
There is a guy named Jax Dane who is coming up through the ranks of the NWA lately. I like his look and he could maybe one day run with the title. Before they even worry about the title, though, they should work on getting the website fixed properly, and even trying to get the affiliates back stronger and more well-represented. Mordetzsky could get the belt as he is better now than he was in WWE.

#26 ·
Think the NWA needs to become a promotion.

You can't be a governing body if you don't have anything to offer anyone. I seriously don't see the draw of being in the NWA.

I'd much rather see a promotions heavyweight title defended than the NWA belt. You know there are so much politics at play when you're talking about X amount of people that have a say in a belts future. Too many chefs in the kitchen.

How many times have we seen a BS NWA tile match ending?

That being said, the NWA should put the belt on people they can trust from big promotions like ROH, PWG, CZW ...

#27 · (Edited)
I think the NWA would be best suited to run as a promotion and the territory system. Get a Cable TV deal and a Roster of 20 guys

Heavyweights: Shelton Benjamin, Carlito Colon, Chris Masters, Karl Anderson, CW Anderson, Harry Smith, Lance Archer, Dustin Rhodes & some japanese stars

Jr. Heavyweights, Cruiserweights, Middleweights etc.: Low Ki, Brian Kendrick, Paul London, Fergel Devitt, Ted Hart & Jack Evans

Tag Teams: KES, Karl & CW Anderson, The Young Bucks, The Bashams, Kendrick & Paul London

Have them available for NWA Territories to assist in putting over top talent.

The NWA Should really cut down on the Territories in the USA and limit it to about 14 or so.

New England: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Mass, Conn, RI
Tri State: New York, NJ, PA
Mid Atlantic, Maryland, Virginia, WV
Carolinas
Georgia & Florida
Mid South: Kentucky, Tennesse,
Gulf Coast: Louisiana, Miss, Alabama
Texas
Southwest: New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada
California & Hawaii
Pacific Northwest: Oregon, Washington, Idaho
Northwest: Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas, Nebraska
MidWest: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa
GreatLakes: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan,
Central States: Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas

Canada
Western Canada: BC, Alberta, Saskat, Manitoba
Eastern Canada: Quebec, Ontario, NS

#31 ·
Yeah agreed with rooster. Ideally it becomes a promotion. But obviously there isn't anybody who's going to fund it.

I used to want TNA to take the NWA name entirely (TNA and Impact wrestling are the worst names in the history of the business), but fuck it. TNA doesn't deserve the name.

Reactions: RoosterSmith
#32 ·
Haha. TNA rules. But the promotion is too safe to take advantage of that innuendo.

:lmao Who's gonna fund that?
Ideally it would be a coalition of current NWA promoters. Under one promotion. Never happen but fun to think about.

#36 ·
Well, let me ask you this, Concrete. Let's say you have a promotion somewhere and the NWA comes knocking? Why would you join? What's in it for you?

Because I'd argue that there is no good reason why you would join the NWA. In fact, YOU have to pay them to join.

#38 ·
I wasn't debating it from a promoters perspective. Though in some areas I'd believe that would mean more tan in some others. I meant as a fan of wrestling that having several territories doesn't make it bad. I think it functions best when their is a promotion to attach it to but NWA has actually made strides to make the body bigger than just one promotion through NJPW

#40 ·
I think if they made more of the footage available that would be the biggest of steps. In 2013 I don't know how I can't see every major title match in the NWA. There are tons of things I hate about the NWA. Accessibility is a biggy. As the governing body of independent promotions they should at least put some regulations as far as media goes. Putting out a YouTube show or releasing DVDs that are easily accessible should go without saying.

#41 ·
Good point. Behind the times, the NWA.

#42 ·
Wholeheartedly agree on the accessibility point, for as much shit as Marquez & Pearce got on the NWA boards they were the ones who got me back into the NWA. Marquez and Pearce were hustlers when it came to getting the brand and its promotions out there, make no mistake that was all Scrap Daddy getting those bookings NWA did nothing. Trobich is a scumbag but he played his part too I guess. They dumped the Legends Fan Fest that was like one of the best things out of the year.

Tharpe really has done nothing for the NWA IMO; he seems more concerned with "getting himself over" then actually building the NWA brand. There is absolutely no reason/benefit to become an NWA member. Personally, I think Smoky Mountain is their greatest asset and hopefully they don't break away as many expected them to when Tharpe took over.

Their official website has been in maintenance forever and their social media presence sucks; maybe its because I work in Marketing but shit they don't even have an online street team. They're constantly behind on everything and a good portion of their affiliate promotions come off bush league as they just let anyone in if they pay up. May as well change NWA to TWA with how many promotions run out of Texas, understandably Texas is a large state but come on. I hate how NWA continue to promote themselves as if they're the pinnacle of wrestling excellence, always relying on the past no wonder the common belief is that they're stuck in the past.

Sorry for the rant, but I truly believe that under the right visionary NWA could have a much larger presence in the industry.

#43 ·
I don't know about that, its not like Championship from Hollywood or Anarchy doing anything good right now. In matter of fact, I notice most of the former promotions still using the NWA logo.Southern All Stars Wrestling and Smoky Mountain is more entertaining and relevant than any promotion that left in the past 2 years. I bet Marquez wishing to join the NWA again but his pride won't let him.

The NWA title is being defended in Japan, their tag team champions is one of the top teams in the world. I don't care about a website, each promotion have their own website anyway so its pointless.

#44 ·
You make it sound like I'm" antagonizing the NWA and if I came off that way that wasn't my intent. I don't dispute the good they've done such as their deal with New Japan and they have a good deal of marketable stars in Texas. I'm" just saying that they could be bigger if Tharpe didn't put his personal interest over the brand. Like I said before, there is no legitimate reason to become an NWA member.

Don't downplay Marquez's contributions to the NWA and on that note the NWA would never take Marquez back, their camps don't get along at all (at least from what I've read on the NWA boards). A Facebook page is not a website, you may not care about it but as a business in this day and age it is near essential to have a central digital platform especially for a host organization like the NWA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.