Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bray Wyatt / Wyatt Family Discussion Thread

448K views 4K replies 981 participants last post by  3ku1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Before I begin I just want to clarify that I'm doing this thread with the hope that I can help open some eyes onto the mystery of a very complicated character, and hopefully provide an easier understanding, and more enjoyment.

To begin, let me highlight the misconceptions on his character.

On the surface, Bray Wyatt and his Wyatt family seem to be not much more than Duck Dynasty castoffs, Backwoods hicks, or Wyatt as a Max Cady (Cape Fear) or Waylon Mercy ripoff...

However, Underneath the surface, just like what Bray would tell you, "There's something else inside..." of him.

I believe his character is that of a cult leader possessed by a demon.The promos I attached below explain it perfectly. In the second one he even says something like,

"I guess there's no sense in waiting any longer....Samael, he's all yours (talking about his vessel)..Hey you wanna see something really scary.."

Now, Samael, when I first heard that mention I didn't really think much of it, until that is, I researched it a bit! Here's what I found:

After reading that I'm certain that my gatherings are correct and the Bray Wyatt character is actually possessed by The Prince of All Demons, The Archangel Samael.

I think his catchphases "Follow the buzzards" and "Eater of Worlds" make sense as well, since Samael, in Christian and Jewish lore, was bent on the destruction of all humans, and buzzards usually flock to death, and I believe Bray Wyatt is a new walking corpse, only his is possessed by a Demon.

In conclusion, I believe, if handled right this could be a more realistic take on the new Undertaker type character WWE sorely needs. Exorcisms and possession are finally becoming more present in our society with the Vatican performing exorcisms lately, and the media eating it all up. I think a walking dead man (Taker) is a pretty tough sell but the gimmick still made him a legend, and I think Wyatt's will do the same for him, and is actually much more believable than it would seem, in our new more realistic era.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Here`s some more coal to throw on the fire ;)

Tweets created on 30/07/2013.

#1,130 ·
I hope that JBL isn't excited to see the Family tonight. The vignettes have been great, but if there's one glaring issue already, it's how the commentary has been handled. On NXT it was perfect. On Raw, it has been anything but.

I love Bradshaw, but my god, no character should be happy to see the Wyatt Family. They're creepy, sadistic and unhinged. That's not something you want to be around. That's not something you want on your show.

Even worse is Michael Cole's corporate "some people are calling these guys creepy" act. You're a fucking commentator. Don't tell me that other people think they're creepy. Tell me that you think they're creepy, that they're sick and deranged. Don't make it sound so fucking corporate. Fuck.

If they debut and JBL is talking about how great these guys are, Cole is telling me that I think they're loopy, and King is cracking jokes about how they all look like farm-yard animals... well, fuck me.

That's the one issue. Outside of that, giddy isn't the word.

#1,408 ·
I thought the Wyatt Family debut was awesome. The only damper was the Husky Harris chant. They could have shown Bray looking on from his rocking chair a little more but I'm just nitpicking with that one.

I don't understand why someone would want to chant Husky Harris at him? It would be like going to Matt Damon's new movie and chanting Jason Bourne. Movies are scripted and actors can play different characters. Wrestling is scripted and wrestlers can play different characters. Go along for the ride and suspend disbelief, especially when the new character has so much potential.

#1,713 ·
Fuck me, those chants really tried to cause friction, no?

Firstly, to acknowledge those 50 or so "Smart" fans who think the way to enjoy what's in front of them is to try and show how smart they are, they're limitless in their own stupidity and delusional in their own advances if they think that's they way to act. EVERYONE is entitled to free speech, and in paying their ticket then they are absolutely entitled to chant what they want, but what does that possibly achieve?

Chanting "boring" shows you're bored, and thus amuses yourself whilst something you aren't enjoying goes on.
Chanting "Goldberg" at Ryback is to show you believe he is too similar to the WCW guy in moveset/appearance/theatrics and what goes on.
Chanting "Albert" at Tensai is because you thought the Tensai character was an insult to you who knew he was Albert the 'hip-hop hippo' and you want to show WWE you don't care for them being so drastic.

What does chanting Husky Harris at Bray Wyatt prove? Does it prove you don't like the new gimmick, on it's very first appearance? Does it prove that Husky Harris was such a memorable character that you want WWE to know you remember it? Does it prove anything other than the fact you think it's acceptable to chant and attempt to spoil it as much as you can?

I shouldn't be offended by this as much as I was, but fuck me those idiots attempted to ruin a very, very interesting moment by proving how smart they were. Jokes.

In reference to the debut, I thought it was handled fantastically. I didn't really care for the WWE.Com vignettes if I'm honest, didn't understand where they were leading and was beginning to think their debut wouldn't be actually live in the arena but live from the "Wyatt compound", and so didn't really get pulled into it. However, after Wyatt stood up off the rocking chair and blew the candle out and you seen them walking to the ring, I didn't shut my mouth until the lights came back on. That was PERFECT.

The beating they gave to Kane was fine, they overpowered him in a believable way and it looked great. Bryan not coming to help Kane didn't really make sense, but in the grand scheme of things will play out on Friday as more descension between them.

The one thing I would have changed which was fine the way it was but I don't know, I think would have been cool, was that when the lights came back on, instead of just the two of them, there could have been possibly 4 or 5 of Wyatts followers in the ring. These could have just been one-night things, dressed similar to the other two and been just the likes of extras who work as security/backstage people in promos and not really been used for anything but holding Kane down. I don't know, it was perfectly fine as it was, I just thought when the announcers reacted when the lights come on, maybe if two or three more would have surrounding Kane they would have reacted more apt.

I hope the chants don't continue, but if it does and Wyatt is on the microphone at the time, he should chant along with them in a drone, dull, monotone voice and call them all puppets who do as they're told and think in twisting and neglecting what they see before them, are too afraid to embrace change, and so the fist comes down, and the fist is change, and the fist comes DOWN.

#1,864 ·
The Wyatt Family:One of the best debuts in a long time!

They did a tremendous job from the music, Oh yeah The Music! I absolutely love their entrance and music, fucking fits their characters perfectly. Their entrance imo by far leaves the Undertakers ceremony in the dust, very creepy and just overall original.

To my other thought about the family debut last night, it was great, about as good as could be expected in the segment it was given. So is nobody else totally excited for what they will do next time, or is all anyone cares about a group of smartass fans? I thought Bray worked it like a champ, and did a fantastic job in not reacting to the chants. You all had to know that their was a possibility that his old persona name might be brought up, Wyatt didn't give the smartass fans the satisfaction of a reaction, so why are a lot of you?

There is a lot of buzz about this new character and faction, plus they delivered big in their debut, I don't think a few chants is gonna derail something the WWE has clearly committed to investing in.

What did you guys think of their debut, getting past the Husky chants that pissed so many of you guys off?

:talk

#1,910 ·
Re: The Wyatt Family:One of the best debuts in a long time!

Rotunda, Ruud and Huber's debut was pretty good. The attack on Jacobs was good and i enjoyed the ring steps spot.

To whoever said their debut was the best since Glenn Jacobs debut, i'd disagree. I think Christopher Keith Irvine's debut in 99 with the millenium countdown against Dwayne Johnson was probably a bit above this one, but still vey good.

#1,915 ·
Re: The Wyatt Family:One of the best debuts in a long time!

Rotunda, Ruud and Huber's debut was pretty good. The attack on Jacobs was good and i enjoyed the ring steps spot.

To whoever said their debut was the best since Glenn Jacobs debut, i'd disagree. I think Christopher Keith Irvine's debut in 99 with the millenium countdown against Dwayne Johnson was probably a bit above this one, but still vey good.
I 100% agree with this post. Better than Jacobs, but lesser than Christopher Keith.

#2,213 ·
Re: Bray Wyatt's entrance/theme are awesome

It's the perfect wrestling theme tune. The bassline is instantly identifiable and disrupts the normal working function of every cell in your body. It's eerie and dominating. And that's just the first three seconds. After it commands your attention, that incredible combination of piano and guitar kicks in some action and turns all the hair raising potential of the bassline into an realization of your fears. It's pointed, jagged and disturbing, all while staying beautiful. And while the overall lyrics don't necessarily represent the character, the words that stand out do.

It's amazing when you realize that this song was just sitting around in their library all this time. It shows you what can happen with some hard work and a little initiative.

#2,216 ·
Re: Bray Wyatt's entrance/theme are awesome

It's the perfect wrestling theme tune. The bassline is instantly identifiable and disrupts the normal working function of every cell in your body. It's eerie and dominating. And that's just the first three seconds. After it commands your attention, that incredible combination of piano and guitar kicks in some action and turns all the hair raising potential of the bassline into an realization of your fears. It's pointed, jagged and disturbing, all while staying beautiful. And while the overall lyrics don't necessarily represent the character, the words that stand out do.

It's amazing when you realize that this song was just sitting around in their library all this time. It shows you what can happen with some hard work and a little initiative.
sticky this post!

rep'd

#2,336 ·
Re: Predict the Kane/Wyatts storyline

I believe more and more as each week unfolds that Kane is not joining the Wyatt Family. I was under the leaning that Wyatt was trying to awaken the old Kane, as a means to unleash him on the rest of the roster. Bray's motivation is not to annex Kane, it's to create chaos by letting another monster out.

After watching this week, I'm even more convinced. Listening to the words Wyatt spoke to Kane, I feel he is further goading Kane. By claiming he was not the devil's favorite demon, or even a demon at all, Wyatt is attacking the very reason Kane returned with the mask. Kane, in his own words, said he had become too human. The mask allowed him to reach back into his past and become what he viewed himself to be. Admittedly, Kane has become hopelessly lost in his original aim. Still, he is called a "monster" by everyone. Well, until now.

Wyatt is employing psychological warfare at the moment. With each promo his character's confidence is showing through, his work coming to fruition. Wyatt tempts and torments Kane because he believes himself to be a superior creature. He implied as much in the promo tonight. He laughed at the mere thought of the devil. That in itself speaks to the direction of this character.

Samael Rising.

#2,413 ·
Re: Bray Wyatt's "craziness" is too forced.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. His entire persona is incredibly forced. His speaking, his tone, his words, his actions and especially his mannerisms.

Compare him to another superstar who relies on their speaking to show their character - Sandow. Sandow actually talks very fluently and has a believability to him.

He's really, really overrated and doesn't belong on the roster right now - not only because he's overrated, but because he cannot be utilised correctly with The Shield being there.

#2,434 ·

I'm glad I'm not the only one. His entire persona is incredibly forced. His speaking, his tone, his words, his actions and especially his mannerisms.

Compare him to another superstar who relies on their speaking to show their character - Sandow. Sandow actually talks very fluently and has a believability to him.

He's really, really overrated and doesn't belong on the roster right now - not only because he's overrated, but because he cannot be utilised correctly with The Shield being there.
Exactly this.

I don't think Wyatt sucks or anything, I just don't understand the fascination with him.

#2,437 ·

The gimmick isn't supposed to be about forced craziness. He's not crazy in the sense of, say, Looney Tunes where they're bouncing off of walls and stuff. He's more like Hitler crazy. Here's a very articulate and manipulative man who has rallied people under his personal beliefs. He fully believes everything that he's saying, but anyone on the outside looking in can see that his beliefs and motives are that of a madman. Yet his natural charisma has followers flock to him. The whole point of the character is that he's supposed to be off beat and odd, yet somehow charming. Watch Cape Fear, and the Max Cady character Bray is based off of. He's the same. Hell, look at any other cult leader. Say, Charles Manson. They march to a different beat.

The way its portrayed, I actually believe that Bray Wyatt is a real guy. I don't look at it as Windham Rotunda playing Bray Wyatt, which is a problem I have with a lot of the roster. John Cena doesn't play a character, he plays himself. Fandango isn't a character, its Johnny Curtis dancing and pretending to be another person. Windham Rotunda makes me feel that this Bray Wyatt person is Bray Wyatt.

#2,746 · (Edited)
Re: Watching Bray Wyatt is cringe worthy.

Agreed 100% but too scared to say it here for the neg reps. I cringe every time he appears and the crowd just smile or stick their hand out for a high five. Everything he says is pseudo babble and doesn't even attempt to make sense, just random words. At least Steiner, Sid and Warrior made that shit entertaining and not 100% serious second coming of Christ like Wyatt. He's just jobber Husky Harris as well ffs.
It's all so ridiculous and staged, cringe every time. In a non-kayfabe social media dominated 2013 that serious gimmick thing doesn't work any more. Unless you're a legend like Undertaker/Kane.

Please don't neg rep because I don't like him!

:vince4

#2,779 ·

Agreed 100% but too scared to say it here for the neg reps. I cringe every time he appears and the crowd just smile or stick their hand out for a high five. Everything he says is pseudo babble and doesn't even attempt to make sense, just random words. At least Steiner, Sid and Warrior made that shit entertaining and not 100% serious second coming of Christ like Wyatt. He's just jobber Husky Harris as well ffs.
It's all so ridiculous and staged, cringe every time. In a non-kayfabe social media dominated 2013 that serious gimmick thing doesn't work any more. Unless you're a legend like Undertaker/Kane.

Please don't neg rep because I don't like him!

:vince4
Why would anyone be too scared to post their opinion because of neg reps? It literally means nothing. If you don't like it, feel free to say it as long as it's in a respectable manner. The people that get neg repped are the ones that sound like assholes and then act like everyone is against them when in reality they've put everyone against them. Speak your mind, that's what this place is for.

#2,765 ·

From what I've seen its always the people either too lazy or too dense to decipher what he's saying that don't think he's talented. His promos are never pointless, they have hardly any filler, and they're always creatively done. He just presents the typical monster heel material in a new and fresh way. He comes up with awesome metaphors and riddles. The fact that you can't figure it out isn't a fault on his part in any way.

#2,801 ·

From what I've seen its always the people either too lazy or too dense to decipher what he's saying that don't think he's talented. His promos are never pointless, they have hardly any filler, and they're always creatively done. He just presents the typical monster heel material in a new and fresh way. He comes up with awesome metaphors and riddles. The fact that you can't figure it out isn't a fault on his part in any way.
Pretty much this. Dumb haters who don't understand shit always hate talent like that.

#2,812 ·

The same people who say Wyatt is bad are the same people who said the same thing about Raven who had arguably the best character in professional wrestling history.

What do they both have in common? They are too simple minded to understand the characters. Everything has to be spelled out for them to understand it. They have to be spoon fed, which ironically is what they complain about as well.

So I'm not surprised.

#2,846 ·

You've officially blown your cover. You were talking about how great he was a few weeks ago, now you've noticed everybody feels the same way so all of a sudden you think he sucks. Trolling for a reaction, like you fucking always do.

Vintage King Tard. Arguably the worst poster in this forums history, certainly the worst in the time I've been here.

#2,851 ·

You've officially blown your cover. You were talking about how great he was a few weeks ago, now you've noticed everybody feels the same way so all of a sudden you think he sucks. Trolling for a reaction, like you fucking always do.

Vintage King Tard. Arguably the worst poster in this forums history, certainly the worst in the time I've been here.
That's true? I'm okay with any person not liking or hating any wrestler but if he really did this thread for the sake of being a hipster wrestling fan and troll; OP it's a fucking idiot.

#3,214 ·
Re: Vince not high on Bray Wyatt?

It's hard to succeed when the bookers don't have a clue what they're doing. Ever since that debut, all they've been involved in is squash matches, a stupid ill-placed gimmick match and a few random promos. The last promo about Sister Abigail was fucking quality but wha...? What about Kane? Where the fuck is he? Explanation anybody? Nah fuck it, get Tons Of Funk out there for the 17th squash match nobody gives a shit about....

We've not even seen them involved in a competitive one on one (or tag team/six man) match, or any other angle not involving Kane. They've been here literally 1-2 months and people are seemingly losing interest already. Once they're finally booked in something worth seeing for EVERYONE to get their teeth into (yes, even da kids lol) then I can't see how they can't be one of the hot commodities in the WWE. They just need to pull their fingers out, or fuck it bring them back to NXT where they were handled properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.