Wrestling Forum banner

Is it me or Cena can't cut a decent promo?

9K views 106 replies 94 participants last post by  DanM3 
#1 ·
Sure when there's someone else with the mic helping him out (like the Rock or Punk) Cena is ok, but he can't cut a promo alone without any help. For a top guy you'd expect more.

#6 ·
Yeah he was brilliant in his younger days but I think the problem is he doesn't have much material to work with these days and he's always coming across cheesy because either he's throwing around jokes which aren't getting over or he's super serious and this only means he's going to start shouting into a microphone.

He's John Cena though so no ones going to tell him he needs to brush up on his skills.

#8 ·
Honestly can't remember the last time I watched one of his promos all the way through.

#9 ·
I thought this Raw's promo started off great; mainly the way he dealt with the crowd. But after 100 grins, 100 times of stopping and listening to boos, I stopped feeling sorry and just wanted him to finish up. But of course, they're not really feuding over anything (Rock and Cena) despite what WWE is trying to tell people. So there hasn't been anything to say since Royal Rumble 13'. Cena said he wants revenge, Rock said just bring it. That whole feud was wrapped up in a 5 minute promo.

It's hard to cut promos about nothing, on a repeat basis.

#15 ·
I've noticed he's been getting worse. I think he's feeling his act is stale and wants to change it up, but Vince won't let him.

#16 ·
He sucks. There will be people saying "how good he can be" but the fact is if he is getting boring chants 6 days before the biggest event of the year in his biggest match then ofcourse he is not very good. I personally never liked him in the ring or on the mic, he is decent at best.

And it doesnt help that he doesnt have any material to work with.

#18 ·
He hasn't put out a good promo in a while no, neither has The Rock though, seriously when was the last time The Rock was in the ring on his own and cut a good promo? Because from my memory quite a few of his recent ones have absolutely sucked, so Cena isn't the only big name who is stinking the place out atm.

#22 ·
It's the same promo over and over again. What's worse is he tries to cut a serious promo but always has to add in his dumb humor like this past Raws "Dwayne's johnson" comment. Also the cheap pops he tries to get every city is getting real old. I used to be fine with cena but in a span of just a little over a year he has grown so stale on me. I don't know how he can't want a change. Can someone really be that complacent when their super hero face character is getting boo'd out of every arena? If there is no heel turn in a near future he will commit character suicide.

#23 ·
Honestly? He's not even trying to cut good promos now and days.

In the past Cena cut legendary promos especially back in his Thuganomics days but over the past few years and especially recently I feel it's been pretty obvious now that he doesn't give shit anymore. I think the boos as well the horrible booking decisions have all finally gotten to him which is why I believe he tanked his promo on purpose this past monday.

#26 ·
His promo this monday was just fine. The nerdy smark crowd was going to shit on Cena no matter what he said unless he turned heel on the spot.

#27 ·
i think the problem is hes a face and basically nobody (outside of little kids) actually wants him to win this fued, for him to get his 'redemption'

the idea of him "overcoming the odds" again is just ludicrous too

imo it was a decent enough promo but the problem is he is so stale and the fued is about nothing and further to that : nobody wants him to win so he's not going to get cheers for just 'i am going to rise above hate and overcome the odds and win' type stuff

#28 ·
I agree (except I think the promo was crap) but it's not entirely his fault.

Only reason why Rock's promo was any better was because The Rock is naturally more entertaining and knows how to work a crowd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.