Wrestling Forum banner

Result of this match?

• Brock forces HHH to retire

Votes: 82 42.1%
  • The Game defeats Lesnar

Votes: 113 57.9%

Official HHH vs. Brock Lesnar (No Holds Barred/Career On The Line) Discussion Thread

50K views 524 replies 217 participants last post by  DanM3 
#1 ·

In his obsession to settle the score with the 266-pound Anomaly who’s methodically targeted those closest to him, Triple H may have unwittingly ushered in the final chapter of his proud career as a WWE Superstar. The King of Kings will war with the uncontrollable Brock Lesnar in a No Holds Barred Match at WrestleMania on April 7, but the opportunity comes at a cost: If Lesnar wins, Triple H must retire from in-ring competition. (WATCH)

The No Holds Barred and the retirement stipulations were both ploys of Lesnar and Paul Heyman, who convinced the incensed Triple H to sign on for the fight before knowing the exactly what type of contest it would be. Although The Game likely perceives the No Holds Barred environment — in which all maneuvers and weapons are fair game — as an ideal format for him to reciprocate the pain Lesnar’s inflicted on the McMahon-Helmsley family, less foreseeable was the possibility Triple H’s 18 years as a WWE competitor could come to a close at The Grandest Stage of Them All.

Then again, given the tumultuous tone of the his rivalry with the only former WWE, NCAA and UFC Heavyweight Champion in history, maybe Triple H has viewed a WrestleMania showdown with Lesnar as an all-or-nothing affair all along.

After having his arm broken in a loss to The Anomaly at SummerSlam last year, The Game appeared ready to hang up his boots and focus on his front-office duties as WWE COO. Yet, when Lesnar — who quit WWE the night after SummerSlam, boasting he had nothing more to prove — shed his free-agent status and returned in January by breaking the hip of Triple H’s father-in-law, WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon, The Game was spurred back into action. (WATCH: Triple H and Brock’s raging rivalry)

This time, The Game takes on the responsibility of defending not only the company he helps oversee, but also more importantly, his family and closest allies. According to Heyman, for Triple H to fall short against Lesnar would be the ultimate disappointment — a letdown for the WWE Universe, Triple H’s family and The Game himself. But with his career as a Superstar now on the line, the stakes at WrestleMania simply could not be higher for The King of Kings.

There’s no turning back. With the weight of the world on his shoulders, an intensely aggressive fighter as his opponent and absolutely No Holds Barred, can Triple H make Lesnar suffer the consequences for all the hardships he’s caused? Or will one of WWE’s most incredible careers end abruptly and gruesomely at the hands of The Anomaly? One of WWE’s two proudest warriors will suffer a mighty loss at the only event big enough to host such a brawl, WrestleMania, which kicks off on pay-per-view April 7 at 7 ET/4 PT.

See less See more
#105 ·
Re: Official HHH vs. Brock Lesnar (No Holds Barred/Career On The Line) Discussion Thr

The Game Can End....

BUT THAT DOESN'T STOP JEAN-PAUL LEVESQUE FROM COMPETING.

:jpl

#106 ·
Re: Official HHH vs. Brock Lesnar (No Holds Barred/Career On The Line) Discussion Thr

It's just gonna be so silly to hear them go on about how much of a beast Lesnar is if he loses to HHH at Mania. He has to win and if he doesn't which is a big possibility then creative should be shot.

#108 ·

The past 2 career matches at Wrestlemania ended in a career being over. I can only imagine that HHH would want to go out the same way his idol(flair) and best friend(Shawn) did. Next night on Raw is all about the game.

#110 ·

Its got a HBK interference written allover it...

#111 ·

That whole stipulation surprise was pretty damn disappointing i mean so his career is on the line, well how many times has Triple H wrestled in the last 2 or 3 years? what maybe 4 matches. I mean he's practically retired as it is, now if he'd been an active competitor for the last year or so this stipulation would be a little more interesting, but since he's practically retired anyways it doesn't really mean shit.

#113 ·

That whole stipulation surprise was pretty damn disappointing i mean so his career is on the line, well how many times has Triple H wrestled in the last 2 or 3 years? what maybe 4 matches. I mean he's practically retired as it is, now if he'd been an active competitor for the last year or so this stipulation would be a little more interesting, but since he's practically retired anyways it doesn't really mean shit.
Exactly. It's hard to care about a wrestler's career when he has wrestled six matches in two years. Plus, I can't see Triple H losing. He's in good shape and he'll be with the company forever. He'll definitely end up wrestling in the future, maybe as an authority figure. The stipulation feels force and it’s leading me to believe Triple H is going to win, when he probably should lose this match, especially if Lesnar is wrestling more in the next two years. It’s disappointing. The intensity with this feud has been great, but the stipulations were such a big let down.

#114 ·

Not being a "threat" at one WM because you lost at the previous WM is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. By that logic, Cena is not a threat to win at this WM. And Hogan was not a threat to win at WM7. And Savage was not a threat to win at WM8. There's been tons of times where a guy has lost at WM and gone on to win a world title at the next year's WM. Wrestling fans memories aren't more than a few months long anyways. Nobody remembers what happened a year ago.

#115 ·

Not being a "threat" at one WM because you lost at the previous WM is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. By that logic, Cena is not a threat to win at this WM. And Hogan was not a threat to win at WM7. And Savage was not a threat to win at WM8. There's been tons of times where a guy has lost at WM and gone on to win a world title at the next year's WM. Wrestling fans memories aren't more than a few months long anyways. Nobody remembers what happened a year ago.
Its maximizing your profits. They shouldn't sacrifice huge potential gains for an over the hill wrestler like hhh especially.

#116 ·

think the career on the line stipulation says HHH is winning but a no dq has made me really look forward to this match and the one I want to see the most as it will just be brutal and they will kick the shit out of each other

#117 ·

I thought this thing was a foregone conclusion but the stipulation actually makes me think again.

Triple H is practically done anyway, and he's gone on record as saying he'd retire tomorrow if Steph or his kids asked him to. Then when you consider Shawn retired at 'Mania - and Ric, because who counts his TNA run? - it just seems maybe he's ready to hang them up.

#118 ·

I thought this thing was a foregone conclusion but the stipulation actually makes me think again.

Triple H is practically done anyway, and he's gone on record as saying he'd retire tomorrow if Steph or his kids asked him to. Then when you consider Shawn retired at 'Mania - and Ric, because who counts his TNA run? - it just seems maybe he's ready to hang them up.
I'm still thinking HHH will win but I do see where you are coming from......

if Brock wins and HHH retires then he can use that going forward as the man who ended HHH's career and then (what I think will happen) he will interfere in Rock's rematch at ER with Cena and start their feud

Either way I really didn't want this match but now it being no dq I really can't wait for it

#119 ·
HHH going over Lesner

Why is it such a foregone conclusion that HHH is going over at WM? I know it's highly unlikely that he retires, but why? He can easily come back in a year or two like it never happened. The main reason I ask is because what on earth would they do with Heyman if Punk and Lesner go away after mania for a while? You literally cannot take Punk AND Heyman off TV, or Cena will have no one to burry...

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#120 ·

Triple H is really at that point where he should retire, same goes for Taker. It would be GREAT if they can build up Brock as this massive threat who ended the career of one of your heroes, mainly because I think Brock will return for another feud after this and they can have one of their rising stars defeat Lesnar, the man who ended the career of Triple H. That would be an amazing pay-off and it builds a new star.

#124 ·
Re: HHH going over Lesner

I personally am one of the ones that believes that it isn't a foregone conclusion. I truthfully believe that Brock could win this. I know it seems very unlikely now that the 'Career on the Line' stipulation is on place, but maybe that means it is more likely to be Brock winning. Maybe, Triple H has decided it's time to give it up.

I personally wouldn't really like to see HHH retire at 'Mania 29, if he's retiring then I think it should be thirty, that goes for Taker too. I feel like 30 just sounds like the right retirement number. Plus, I still want Taker to face Cena next year which is why I don't want Punk ending the streak. I think HHH could be in a match next year, not against Brock hopefully. I really feel like he should retire then. Seems like the best time if he is thinking about it

#125 ·

Because HHH needs his win back against Lesnar - smart business be damned. HHH isn't busting his ass back into shape to job to Lesnar, that you can be sure of. Lesnar could have been booked in a feud with any other member on the roster to go over while giving some rub - but HHH and Stephanie need to storyline big tough HHH to go over the UFC champion.

#129 ·

Because HHH needs his win back against Lesnar - smart business be damned.
Having the same guy win every match in a feud isn't smart business. It's stupid business. Feuds (especially feuds amongst top guys) should be back and forth, with each guy getting AT LEAST one win. The smart thing would be for HHH to win the 2nd match, and Lesnar to win the third match. How is it smart to have HHH not win a single match in the feud? That makes no sense.

#127 · (Edited)

So basically this is the same stipulation as the one they had at Summerslam. What a waste of time that contract segment turned out to be. And no one cares if HHH's career on the line because we all know he won't be retiring.

#128 ·

I hope HHH retires.Next night on Raw,HHH says Brock Lesnar did something Hulk Hogan,Ric Flair,Undertaker,HBK,Austin,Rock,Cena,Batista and Orton couldn't do.Lesnar finally made sure The Game is over.Let him have a retirement celebration with Shawn,Nash,Ramon,X-Pac,Vince and Steph.

Taker should retire after WM 30.Have a match with Cena and then retire.

#131 ·

I don't understand this HHH hate.He has put over Batista,John Cena and Jeff Hardy.He has mentored Randy Orton.He made Chris Benoit and Sheamus relevant.What more can we expect from HHH?

WRESTLEMANIA
WM XX - lost to Chris Benoit(tapped out)
WM 21 - lost to Batista
WM 22 - lost to John Cena(tapped out)
WM 23 - (injured)
WM XXIV - lost to Randy Orton in triple threat (w-Cena)
WM XXV - beat Randy Orton
WM XXVI - beat Sheamus
WM XXVII - lost to Undertaker
WM XXVIII - lost to Undertaker

If you want an even closer look at all the high profile NON-Mania matches that he's had in recent years:

CS 2008 - beat Jeff Hardy
SVS 2008 - lost to Edge in triple threat (w-Kozlov)
Armaggedon 2008 - lost to Jeff Hardy in triple threat (w-Edge)
The Bash 2009 - lost to Randy Orton
NOC 2009 - lost to Randy Orton in triple threat (w-Cena)
SVS 2009 - lost to John Cena in triple threat (w-HBK)
ER 2009 - lost to Sheamus
NOC 2011 - beat CM Punk
SS 2012 - lost to Brock Lesnar
This doesn't look like a guy who buries people

#132 ·

Wasn't excited about this at all, but Lesnar & HHH's segments together have been bad ASS. I think they're going to go all out to try & give the match of the night. Expect, nay, there will. be. Blood.

#137 ·

I'm honestly split on who I think is walking out the winner in this one.

Sure, it's more or less storytelling 101 to have Triple H, the guy with self-doubts following Summerslam, to come back strong and vanquish Brock and prove to himself he's still the Game etc., but I also don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he may lose following an everything-or-nothing performance where he still proves the same point to everybody. Going down in a blaze of glory and all that.

Just the fact that, to my knowledge, he's never had a 'retirement' match, and he already kayfabe came close to retiring after Summerslam makes me think he doesn't like the idea of whoring out his career for a storyline or jerking around fans' emotions. The fact this is the selling point of this match just says to me it's entirely possible.

#139 ·

Triple H by Pinfall barely, but I say that hesitantly!

This is a MUST WIN, and I repeat MUST WIN match for Triple H!

He already lost to Lesnar at Summerslam 2012 (although at the time that match and Lesnar sucked, but still it counts)

I think Triple H will win and get even and revenge, but I say that very hesitantly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.