Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Beginners Guide To New Japan

View Single Post

Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #57 (permalink)
rockdig1228
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER

rockdig1228 501 - 1000rockdig1228 501 - 1000rockdig1228 501 - 1000rockdig1228 501 - 1000rockdig1228 501 - 1000rockdig1228 501 - 1000
Default Re: Beginners Guide To New Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabs View Post
And no English commentary. I get how this could put some people off but trust me it doesn't. Ask any New Japan fan and you'll get a similar answer. You can get invested in the matches and the promotion without and the crazy Japanese commentary actually adds to the experience.
I'll second this, the lack of English commentary doesn't bother me at all - I just finished watching Wrestle Kingdom and man, it was a fantastic show. From an in-ring perspective, it blew away anything WWE or TNA has produced in years too. I've been following American wrestling for a while and have never given puro much of a watch, but that's changed for me just by watching that show. Loved Nagata/Suzuki, Ibushi/Low-Ki/Devitt, Makabe/Shibata, Nakamura/Sakuraba & Tanahashi/Okada - That's FIVE matches that NJPW had on the first show of the year that tops anything a North American promotion has done so far, including Punk/Cena on Raw. Just an awesome show and I'll definitely be looking to watch more New Japan this year.

One other thing that struck me - I was always under the naive impression that puro is much less about showmanship than it's western counterparts... I could not be more wrong. Okada's entrance alone disproves that whole notion I've had, and speaking of him, he comes across on screen as a MASSIVE star. I have no doubt that he could be a big-time player in WWE if he wanted to be, but I'd be wary of how they would use him. Glad to see that he'll be with NJPW until 2015 at least.
rockdig1228 is offline   Reply With Quote