Wrestling Forum banner

BIG GAME ROBBEN

352K views 9K replies 237 participants last post by  steamed hams 
#1 ·
Since Liverpool are starting their Europa League campaign tonight, may as well start this thread now.

This will be rodgers first season in Europe, so I expect he'll look to have a solid competition. I reckon AVB will take this competition more seriously than Redknapp and Newcastle will want to do well for sure. Hopefully these three teams will do well and help England's co-efficient points.

As for the CL, we're retaining it :jordan2

See less See more
#8,194 ·
Re: UEFA Champions/Europa League 2012-13 Thread - It Just Got Mythical

What an embarassing performance by Barcelona, its like the quit before the match, no fight at all. Bayern totally dominated them over two legs but I expected a more competitive second leg

Should be a good final, don't know how thrilled the execs at FOX are in the states, the Bundesliga is not even on TV over here unless you have GolTV

The only way I can watch the Bundesliga is through illegal streaming :side:

#8,195 ·

Barca were shocking. Without Messi they really do struggle. Stop playing Cesc as a bloody 'false 9' he's a centre mid so play him there or give him back to us. They really need to sign a centre back or two. Congrats to the German's; fully deserved. I still don't think that's the real Robben, never seen him track back like he has in the two legs. It's an end of an era for Barcelona; Bayern's time.

#8,198 ·

Barca were shocking. Without Messi they really do struggle. Stop playing Cesc as a bloody 'false 9' he's a centre mid so play him there or give him back to us. They really need to sign a centre back or two. Congrats to the German's; fully deserved. I still don't think that's the real Robben, never seen him track back like he has in the two legs. It's an end of an era for Barcelona; Bayern's time.
Without Messi they look like a mediocre team

#8,200 ·

I really wish it was easier to watch the Bundesliga... I love watching the Germans right now. Playing an actual brand of beautiful football. I really wish ESPN just finally gave in and did a soccer channel or two since Fox Soccer has lost quite a lot of sizzle with losing bids for a lot of games.

As for the final... I can see a blowout but also Dortmund shocking the world. Both teams managed to build actual teams instead of relying on stars. We see both Italy and England really starting to realise they have to retool, and many of those teams in those leagues doing just that right now. Spain... well, they'll just throw more money at stars thinking that all they need is a guy that can score 50 goals in the weak La Liga and be successful in the long run. It's all they've been doing on the club side for years.

#8,201 ·

Watched Heynckes post-match interview. The guy is really a class act. Huge amount of respect and admiration for how humble the guy is. Do not even care if he was a Madrid coach.

I honestly think Pep made a mistake going to Bayern. They look dead on course for the treble and I can't see Pep replicating what Heynckes has done with this team. .

#8,203 ·

this isn't the end of barcelona, and anyone who thinks that is retarded.

it all stems from their defence. alves, pique, bartra, adriano. alves is constantly caught up the pitch, pique is in the worst form of his career, bartra doesn't have the experience and adriano is just woeful. song isn't in the same stratosphere as busi, and cesc is just rubbish. that pretty much leaves xavi and iniesta to carry the load, and that's just impossible against a midfield as good as bayerns. any time the ball did manage to poke through to the front 3, bayern just pressed and pressed them and gave them no room. exceptional performance from bayern, i don't think barca could've played any better than they did with the players available.

it all begins from the back however. a few signings, a top class cb and possibly a new right back, and just to bring in some competition. it's easy to ignore that even with all their problems surrounding tito and abidal, they've still absolutely walked the league and made a champions league semi final. they just came up against an exceptional team over 2 legs. it's not the end of an era or any of that sort of nonsense, barca will strengthen, they'll adjust their play, and then we can look forward to some epic bayern/barca encounters over the next few seasons.

#8,211 ·

Bayern's midfield is so damn impressive, even without Kroos, Mueller fills in and does a top job. Lose Martinez and you've got Tymoschuck or Luiz Gustavo to bring in. Schweinstiger would be a huge loss for them tho, they really don't have another player like him though the young Turkish lad Emre Can looks decent prospect.

#8,212 ·

Wow, I can't believe Barca lost 7-0 on aggregate, 7-0, my god.

As for the final, I want Dortmund to win it but I can't see that happening, this Bayern team is too strong, will be shocked if they don't win it tbh.

#8,213 ·
Re: Wembley - Bayern vs Dortmund - Will they find a way for both of them to choke?

Surely every defender in the world now knows what Robben will likely do - go to his left and try to curl it in - yet it still works quite often. I guess that's the mark of a great player. He scored a similar goal against England in November or something.

Expected result yesterday. The only way Barca would have had a chance is if they had scored 2 fairly quickly within the first half. Bring Messi on and score a quick third to put pressure on Bayern. That was never going to happen though, Bayern are way too solid and know how to counter attack.

#8,215 ·
Re: Wembley - Bayern vs Dortmund - Will they find a way for both of them to choke?

I think Dortmund have small chances to win the Champions League. It would already be hard with Gotze on the team but now that he's injured, the chances decreased. Bayern is too strong at the moment. Their midfield is too damn strong with Muller and Bastian. They will probably smash the Dortmund's midfield.

Anyway, i hope for a good game and may the best team win. I hope it's Dortmund, though.

:robben2 :gotze

#8,216 ·

I still think Dortmund will win it. Will be interesting to see what this young and inexperienced Dortmund team can pull off in a final against perennial bottlers. I hope we don't get a boring clash where both teams are scared to attack because they want to win. I just want full no holds barred cage match, attack attack attack.

#8,223 ·

They seemed to just get rid of all the Dutch players they had. I guess they didn't like Dutch.

They got rid of van Nistelrooy, Huntelaar, Sneijder and Robben in the same summer. I believe they kept van der Vaart out of loyalty, I can't remember the story. But then the following summer they got rid of Royston Drenthe and of course sold van der Vaart to Tottenham.

#8,224 ·

none of them really excelled at madrid. robben and sneijder were good players, but yeah, they then used the banks to buy kaka and penaldo for what, 140 mil combined?

must be a good world getting bank loans that you don't need to pay back. no wonder spain are so deep in the shit economically.

#8,229 ·

none of them really excelled at madrid. robben and sneijder were good players, but yeah, they then used the banks to buy kaka and penaldo for what, 140 mil combined?

must be a good world getting bank loans that you don't need to pay back. no wonder spain are so deep in the shit economically.
I'm telling ya Robben/Ronaldo would have been sick.

Woodgate, Owen, Samuel, Robinho, Baptista, Cicinho, Diogo, Cassano, Garcia, Diarra, Gago, Drenthe, Huntelaar, Diarra, Faubert, Kaka, Albiol, Garay, Granero, Pedro Leon, Sahin and Canalas all a pure waste of money, and I'm leaving some debatable ones out and the free transfers which mostly sucked too. That list is way too huge for a big club like Real, terrible transfer policy. A lot of those filler spots could have been filled by youth players.

#8,226 ·

Bayern have the pressure of expectation over their heads, and the knowledge of their choke job last season. Dortmund are more than capable of pulling off the victory.

Anyway, time to move on to BRAVE Chelsea's quest to get into the Europa final. Hopefully ZORRES rises and secures the spot, and I hope Fenerbache win as well. Fuck Benfica.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.