Wrestling Forum banner

Who will you be rooting for in the Rematch Of A Lifetime?

• Rock

Votes: 306 62.6%
  • Cena

Votes: 183 37.4%

Official The Rock vs. John Cena Thread: Greatness vs. Redemption, TWICE IN A LIFETIME

289K views 3K replies 693 participants last post by  DanM3 
#1 · (Edited)
wwe.com said:
Less than a month after winning the Royal Rumble Match and announcing his intention of challenging for the WWE Title at WrestleMania 29, John Cena found out who his championship opposition will be on The Grandest Stage of Them All: The Rock.

The Great One upended CM Punk at Elimination Chamber, the last pay-per-view before The Show of Shows, to retain the cherished WWE Championship and solidify his place in WrestleMania’s main event.

In The Brahma Bull, Cena will be facing a foe who helped set in motion the tailspin of a year that was 2012.

A 10-time former WWE Champion, the Cenation leader has not held the title since October 2011, and the disappointment of his drought was exacerbated last year by his high-profile loss to The Great One at WrestleMania XXVIII. The devastating loss bookended one of Cena’s toughest calendar years, to date. A series of distractions, from dealing with former General Manager John Laurinaitis to falling into an ill-fated romance with AJ Lee, kept Cena away from the WWE Title picture for much of the year. And even once he found himself in title contention, he was unable to pry the WWE Title from Punk, making 2012 a largely unproductive year for one of the most decorated competitors in WWE history.

Fortunately for the Cenation leader, 2013 appears to be off to a markedly better start, thanks to his huge win at Royal Rumble. The larger question facing Cena is whether he will be able to keep the momentum going all the way to April 7, when he faces the Superstar who dealt him one of the biggest losses of his career.

The Rock has shown no signs of ring rust since returning to WWE and winning the WWE Title in January. In fact, The Great One overcame great obstacles — including The Shield and The Second City Saint’s underhanded tactics — en route to dethroning Punk and subsequently turning back his challenge in a rematch.

With The Rock and Cena informed by their epic encounter last year in Miami, both competitors will assuredly come to MetLife Stadium with a more sharpened focus than ever before. Cena is out to avenge last year’s WrestleMania loss to The Great One. The Rock, on the other hand, appears intent on keeping the championship he waited more than a decade to reclaim — the title that represents the sport that not only propelled him to success on the silver screen, but also captured his heart and mind at a young age.

Now, all that separates The Rock and John Cena is time. On April 7, under the brightest lights that sports-entertainment has to offer, who will leave will the top prize: The Rock or John Cena?

WWE NEWS: Rock outlines long-term return plan, why he returned to WWE in the first place, previews WM29 main event vs. Cena

WWE champion The Rock outlined the long-term plans working with John Cena in an interview with Matt Fowler of IGN.com discussing his TV shoot for "The Hero."

"You have to understand that my return back into the WWE was years in the making. And since I've been back, it's been a three year-long journey that started at WrestleMania 27 in Atlanta," Rock said. "So, John has always been my first choice (to work with)."

Rock added that when he decided to return to WWE, he surveyed the roster and wanted to work with the full-time wrestler he could do the most business with.

"Here's the thing," Rock said. "The question was that if I was going to go back in the WWE, how could I go back and make the most impact? With who can I headline WrestleMania in that company and make the most impact? And the bottom line is that it continues to be John Cena. Just in terms of, and we'll use a Hollywood term here, box office appeal. Universal appeal. Athletic pairing. So there are a lot of reasons."

Rock also acknowledged that part of his mission returning to WWE is to elevate Cena, which results in strengthening WWE by having its top full-time star in a stronger position. But, he said he looks forward to helping bring massive attention to WWE, Cena, and WrestleMania in the New York market.

"What I'm talking about is being able to go back to the WWE and give back to the business, which is in my blood and has allowed me a platform to perform which then, 12 years ago, allowed me to make he transition to Hollywood," Rock said. "So the scenario I've dreamed of is that I'm able to go back, become WWE champion, go into the what is considered the biggest marketplace in the world, which is the New York City area, at MetLife Stadium and headline WrestleMania as champion and give back to the business, the fans, the company, and their number one hero. So I couldn't have asked for a better scenario and we're going to have a blast."

What about match quality working with Cena in the WM29 main event? Rock said, "I think we're going to have a great match and my hope is that it's going to be a classic."

Link - http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_68992.shtml
Get ready...it's whoopass season, folks! :cena3

Just Bring It, bitch! :rock3

See less See more
4 2
#3,312 · (Edited)
Re: Official The Rock vs. John Cena Thread: Greatness vs. Redemption, TWICE IN A LIFE

lol at some saying the worst main event ever.

The tears man. The fucking tears.
If it went on for another 5 minutes, a swerve from either Rock and Cena with a dirty win...the match would of been GOAT.

Shame they rushed it they way they did, just to make Cena look GOD compared to The Rock.

#3,309 ·
Re: Official The Rock vs. John Cena Thread: Greatness vs. Redemption, TWICE IN A LIFE

face it, we're screwed...Cena is in as face for sure least another year..more goofy ass faces, forced lines etc..

but there's more to this thread...can anyone legitimately name a wrestler who can represent and carry the ambassador's role like Cena? there's shaemus, but he's honestly not really majorly over..least in my eye....

point is..there is NONE, and that is why Cena will still be on top of the company as face, until WWE feels there's a babyface strong enough to take his spot.

agree, disagree..share your opinions??

#3,310 ·

Well, we can thank them for making finishing moves look like complete shit.

60% of the match was 5KS, Peoples Elbow, AA, Rock Bottom, Peoples Elbow, 5KS, Rock Bottom over and over again.

It was an abortion and the ending was vomit inducing.

#3,311 ·

I think it was the first time Cena went out of his way to work the marks. He is practically their top heel without making you know it. If that makes sense.

They do tend to go overboard with the roh bullshit finisher spots.

#3,323 ·

I think it was the first time Cena went out of his way to work the marks. He is practically their top heel without making you know it. If that makes sense.

They do tend to go overboard with the roh bullshit finisher spots.
It makes perfect sense, it amazes me that "smart" marks haven't clocked on yet. The job of a wrestler is to evoke a reaction, he evokes the biggest face reactions from the kids and the biggest heel reactions from the "smart" marks, that's why he'll never turn heel, it wouldn't do anything for him.

#3,318 ·

Anyone else find it weird that Cena's music just sort of hit? No match graphic, video package and special entrance etc. Found it strange.
Bu the time Cena made his entrance it was about 10:15 or so, they probably lost track of time which is why they scrapped the 8-man tag and the video package. Plus, they've been airing video packages all night for the main event.

#3,314 ·

Damn.....

Even though I knew Cena was going to win I was really hoping that he wouldn't, silly me. It was a good match, I felt their match last year was a little better but a big part of that is probably because of the outcome since I was cheering for The Rock, but still......they did fine this year too. I'm guessing that The Rock is done now and will come back again in a few years to say hi and make a guest appearance or two, which is a shame because he looks great and moves great in the ring and would make a nice addition to the year round roster.

Congrats to Cena, and take care Rocky.

#3,320 ·

LOL at those who're braying about how good the match was... FUCK YOU NOOB SHITS... it's because of assholes like you that Vince and co. do not care about putting up a good show... ROCK VS CENA WAS THE WORST MAIN EVENT IN YEARS... 1/10...
Could you be any more rude? Seriously, it's a matter of opinions whether or not the match was good, some liked it and others didn't. That's life. Youropinion doesn't cancel out the opinions of others.

#3,321 ·

Worst wrestlemania mainevent of all time. No joke.

#3,327 ·

So did you all enjoy your "Twice In A Lifetime" match? This company has completely gone to shit it amazes me every year how much a lot of fans still support it. Haven't you guys had enough punishment? Maybe after Cena holds the strap for the rest of the year it will wake you guys up to stop supporting this shit product.

#3,334 · (Edited)

Regarding the hugging, holding hands shit...Rock didn't look too comfortable when holding Cena's hand on the stage now did he?

Probably embarrassed that Vince made him do such a thing.

"This isn't passing of the torch" :rock4

"You don't understand Rock" :vince

:rock2 :cena2

#3,336 ·

I thought the match wasn't that very good. Around a 7/10, could have been better with a video package and special entrances. Am glad to see John Cena win the big one and get back his redemption against The Rock.

#3,362 ·

Well, at least it's all over. I'd much rather that Cena turned in the process but at least now I know I don't have to watch the main event of RAW every week. If those 2 actually do team up to take on the Shield at ER it's going to be a nightmare.

#3,376 ·

As a wrestling fan I would've loved to have seen Cena turn tonight. But as a man and a grown-up, I have to admit that Vince and Cena are doing the right thing. I'm a big supporter of St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, so when I see the spots involving Cena and Make-A-Wish, I don't just tap my foot impatiently for the next match. It hits home. It reminds me that my petty little preferences for wrestling drama mean absolutely nothing -- NOTHING -- if it means Cena's current persona is providing inspiration for even one sick child.

#3,377 ·

Match was god awful. Even worse then I thought it would be. Restholds after restholds. Then turned into a finisher fest with both men hitting finishers for no reason other then to hit them like some kid spamming a WWE game online. 1* at best.

Also the Cena shaking hands with the Rock things was always going to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.