Wrestling Forum banner

BIG GAME ROBBEN

352K views 9K replies 237 participants last post by  steamed hams 
#1 ·
Since Liverpool are starting their Europa League campaign tonight, may as well start this thread now.

This will be rodgers first season in Europe, so I expect he'll look to have a solid competition. I reckon AVB will take this competition more seriously than Redknapp and Newcastle will want to do well for sure. Hopefully these three teams will do well and help England's co-efficient points.

As for the CL, we're retaining it :jordan2

See less See more
#7,189 ·
Re: UEFA Champions/Europa League 2012-13 Thread - It Just Got Mythical

Such gross overreactions to this result. Barca haven't been the "Best side ever" in a long time. I’d argue that in Pep’s first season, where Messi and Iniesta came into their own. They had Eto’o, Henry, Yaya, Xavi all at or pretty close to their peak. That was probably the best side I’ve seen. Since then I think they’ve made some terrible signings – Zlatan, Cesc, Alexis, Song etc. – All of which have underperformed and although they’re still an incredible side, they’ve become more reliant on Messi/Iniesta and look a lot easier to stop. That one season where they have Villa at his best papered over cracks IMO. They were the best side ever, but in the last season or two I think Madrid and Bayern have been superior.

Xavi isn’t as mobile as he was, Pique has declined horribly, Puyol is coming to an end and they’re still too reliant on Messi for goals. I still think their best formation would be Messi behind Villa, as they played against Milan. Messi's ego would never allow for that. The way they played yesterday, Iniesta was effectively trying to beat 5-6 men to create anything, that was largely down to Bayern’s own incredible defending but they were going nowhere. This isn’t the first time this season either. Madrid destroyed them at the Nou Camp earlier this season, probably even more impressively.

They’re far from done though. Messi and Iniesta are still two of the best in the world, they’ve world class prospects in Thiago and Tello who are going to be great and will reinforce in the summer. They’re in bad need of a new CB and an alternative goalscorer to Messi. The team needs a spark.

As for Bayern, they’re another animal completely. Anyone who’s been watching the Bundesliga knows what they're capable of, they were never gonna have time time for that tika taka shit. Scary to think they were without two of their best players – Kroos and Mandzukic. They have world class talent like Robben and Gomez in reserve, it’s ridiculous how strong they are. Moreso than it being the end of Barca, I just see it as the potential beginning of Bayern dominance. With Pep and Gotze arriving to an already loaded squad, it’s scary. Feel bad for Jupp though, the job he’s done is incredible.

They’ve not won it yet though.

#7,191 ·

i honestly don't think tito will be in charge next season.

the continued uncertainty about his condition is hurting barcelona. they need stability. stability came with pep. uncertainty has followed since he left.

#7,193 ·

If Barca rape Bayern next week they'll be the greatest team ever again. Natural reaction after a mauling like that but put into some perspective. Barca come back hard after setbacks. Dominating La Liga this season, comeback vs Milan. They're far from done. Side needs tweaking and they need a defence of some sorts. They'll come back hard again next season. Bartra looked nervous all match. Few sloppy passes and reluctance to pass the ball to anyone other than Pique/Alves/Busquets. Showed in his chance when he was all over the shop. If they insist on Messi playing through the middle then they need some consistent quality either side of him. Pedro's good and he'll come back stronger but they can't be relying on Pedro's. Sanchez should be sold asap. Villa may as well go if he doesn't have a future down the middle. Then get a Ribery type figure who'll run at defenders down the wing rather than playing backwards and sideways all the time and push Tello further into the first team.

Bayern were as good as you'll ever see a team though. Near perfection. Ruthless going forward and absolutely incredible shutting Barca down in the middle. Madrid will be a more disciplined match for them and they'll win this because it's Jose and Jose gets what he wants. And he WANTS this.

Standard of officiating in the biggest club competition in the world shown to be an embarrassment again too.

#7,194 ·

Hasn't Tito been gone most of the season due to his cancer treatment? Abidal too. Stuff like that could have had an effect on the squad. It was a bad move all around making Tito the head coach knowing he'd not be able to be around the entire season anyway.

#7,199 · (Edited)

Read earlier that Gotze is expected to start .

Makes sense what with all the shirt burning and hostility.

In a more sinister development, there were reports his younger brother returned home from school early, after suffering ‘traitor’ taunts, and that the family home had been spray painted by Dortmund ultras.

#7,201 ·

LOL The team arriving back in Barca. Strong everything.

DAT STARE by Messi as the bus leaves at the end.

"I'll be back, *******"

#7,206 ·

Well, it's like winning a trophy. :cool2

I can't believe this Bayern that demolished Juve over two legs and raped Barca last night progressed on away goals against us. Definitely means--the final should have been Bayern vs. Arsenal. :wenger

I hope Barca don't start stalking Wenger again. :side:

#7,216 ·

Yep most of that ^^^ applies to the arsenal-united situation aswell.

We aren't competitors/near rivals. That's like comparing Villa to Tamworth town.

#7,221 ·

You guys are losing the plot.

Gotze was going to have offers from around the world. The boy is obviously comfortable in the Bundesliga and living in Germany. Yes, leaving Dortmund might seem like a blow but really, we're just signing someone very talented.

Dortmund get the money and they certainly have the reputation to find ample replacement.

I haven't heard a thing regarding Lewandowski, but with Guardiola coming in, I can see a couple of players leaving and strengthening those areas (Robben & Gomez specifically) with great players who already have Bundesliga experience is the sensible thing to do.

The reactions in here are as if these players deserted their clubs. These are very normal business transactions happening. If all these players are leaving Dortmund, they must obviously be questioning the club's ambition/ability (I'm not, I'm a huge fan of Dortmund actually).

But these accusations of us trying to ruin the league are ridiculous. That's not the intention at all, just as Sir Alex didn't buy RvP to see how Arsenal get on without him. He bought him to strengthen his team and win him the league title.

If Gomez and Robben will both be on the market come Pep's arrival, Dortmund could well be in for them too.

inb4morehypocrisy

#7,224 ·

I don't think Dortmund's players are leaving because they doubt the clubs ambition, but it just so happens that the clubs who have come in for them are bigger clubs. What Dortmund have done in the past few years in incredible, but like it or not, Bayern, Madrid and United are bigger clubs with more European pedigree in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.