Wrestling Forum banner

The Kassius Ohno we are seeing right now is all Wrong!

8K views 72 replies 30 participants last post by  Pablo Escobar 
#1 · (Edited)
The Kassius Ohno we are seeing right now is not Reflective of his potential!

Before coming to the WWE and being thrust into NXT, Kassius Ohno (Chris Hero) was basically the king of IWA as their top face and most cheered wrestler, and in ROH he was very similar to Chris Jericho but taller with loads of catchphrases to get the crowd involved, and the right amount of confidence to become a larger than life character. So make no mistake about it, the Kassius Ohno we are seeing in NXT right now barely resembles the Chris Hero that wowed many in ROH.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B
How about a passionate promo with no catchphrases to prove he can do it!

Exhibit C
And lastly check out his epic ROH theme song and moveset

Ohno, when he's on, is one of the best wrestlers in the world, and proved it countless times in IWA and ROH. He'll prove it to most doubters once he gets the call to RAW or Smackdown as well, but, in NXT, I sense that he's bored and holding back considerably. I think it's a rather reasonable assertion to make as well since we have access to all his previous work and can see how much more motivated he was there. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly why he's not the same as it could be difficulty transitioning to the wwe style, feeling he shouldn't be in NXT, or having to alter his gimmick and character? It may be a combination of all of them but here's how I would fix it!

In my opinion, the biggest problem with Ohno is the new gimmick he has! He should never be a vicious heel, and is at his strongest when he's a clean cut cocky heel/cool face similar to jericho with catchphrases, charismatic delivery, and mohammad ali esque mannerisms. That is how to use him properly.

Just let the man be "That young knockout kid" and problem solved!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: What WWE is doing with Kassius Ohno is all Wrong!

I guess developmental talents probably have a lot of input if not total creative control over their characters, so some if not all of the blame really has to lie at Ohno's feet. If he felt he would be more effective in a different role or with a different character then I'm pretty sure they would let him try it out.

#3 ·
Re: What WWE is doing with Kassius Ohno is all Wrong!

I guess developmental talents probably have a lot of input if not total creative control over their characters, so some if not all of the blame really has to lie at Ohno's feet. If he felt he would be more effective in a different role or with a different character then I'm pretty sure they would let him try it out.
You know that is a very high possibility, and if it's true and Ohno has that much input, then someone in the back really needs to sit the man down and tell him, "Dude stop what you're doing because you're nothing like the talented Chris Hero we scouted and signed from ROH, and look way out of your comfort zone. Switch it up and bring that guy back!"

#4 ·
If he feels he doesnt deserve to be in NXT, surely he should be proving it then?

I like Hero, but before the british ambition tag match the only match I actually remember enjoying of his in nxt or fcw was vs Cesaro and even then it wasn't exactly stellar. Hero does need to adapt because all of his great matches gave him a lot of time to work his character into them and he can't expect to get into those spots without paying his dues. If he learns to work super bossy short matches like Cesaro then great. He'll probably be called up eventually but I can't see him doing well from his body of work within the WWE. Regal feud they've been hinting towards in NXT could be nice, feels like they're just trying to recreate the Ambrose thing though.

Plus his shape isn't the best. I'm not that bothered but it probably is something WWE takes into consideration, especially when he's not exactly standing out via his ring work.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, this! Exactly this!

If wants the call up then he should work harder for it!

His matches on NXT so far have been very mediocre. Slow, dull, plodding and repetitive. I've seen some of his indy work and he's good, but it hasn't translated at all in the WWE. He's just very boring to watch right now. Honestly, point me to a good Kassius Ohno match on NXT or FCW. Show me one which is good. At best the match will be average midcard stuff.

As for a gimmick change, he should pitch one. It's developmental. I'm sure at this stage they would be willing to give it a try.

I don't know what's wrong with him but if it's a problem of ethic then he should leave the WWE. The company doesn't need more wastrels.

Thos promos though, those were pretty good. He's got a Randy Savage, BIllyGraham, Ric Flair kind of style, in that he makes a lot of grandiose statements and speaks very fluidly. Not bad actually, not bad at all. I would like to see something like that.

#7 ·
To me it's not a question of his promos or ability to speak. He's rather funny and seems comfortable so any gimmick that accentuates that is fine by me.

It's his in ring work that bothers me. It's not living up the hype. Sure, WWE limits move sets, but it hasn't stopped Punk and Bryan from having good matches. Sheamus doesn't have their indy experience and he still has good matches. Cesaro has tremendous matches.

WWE limits the amount of moves you can do and dangerous ones are banned, but it hasn't stopped a lot of these guys from having good matches. Kassius Ohno isn't impressing me in the ring and it's disappointing.

#15 ·
I disagree completely but mic work is pretty subjective I guess. There are some people on here that think Punk and Ambrose suck.

Watching this you wonder how his NXT matches could suck so badly. Obviously there are some he couldn't use and I know WWE limits guys but if he just pulled out a couple of those moves a match then he could get massively over. Other indy guys have been allowed to retain the core elements of their moveset and Ohno seemed to be a lot more dynamic in FCW, so I'm not sure why it is that since NXT has started he hasn't really shown anything like what we see he is capable of in that video.
Holy crap, I don't think even half the guys on the roster know 60 moves combined! THat's pretty impressive.

He loves that cravat hold. He uses it all the time. Simple, but looks painful as well.
I agree guys and thanks for posting that move list so I didn't have to! The fact remains that Ohno has a humungous moveset to pull from and has even invented numerous moves and styles, but he needs to get his act together and package together something neat and exciting from the moves to create a moveset worth watching in the wwe.

#13 ·

Watching this you wonder how his NXT matches could suck so badly. Obviously there are some he couldn't use and I know WWE limits guys but if he just pulled out a couple of those moves a match then he could get massively over. Other indy guys have been allowed to retain the core elements of their moveset and Ohno seemed to be a lot more dynamic in FCW, so I'm not sure why it is that since NXT has started he hasn't really shown anything like what we see he is capable of in that video.

#17 ·
not a fan of him. looks like a punk rip-off, nothing to shout about in ring either.

he's definite one of the lesser ends of the ROH/Indy signings for WWE in recent years.

Pac/Neville OTOH is just amazing and will get over no matter which era he's in.

#19 ·
"A Punk rip off."
Well, that makes absolutely no god damn sense. They look completely different. They had a totally different move set, and two completely different types of promos. Where's the similarity except for facial features? And that's barely.

Honestly, still can't blame Kassius. After watching Punk's DVD, watching Sin Cara after he was pretty much just taken out of what he's used to and dropped in the WWE ring, and knowing D-Bry is a guy who could do more? I wouldn't be surprised if they truly are limiting Kassius.

Could he ask for a change? Sure. How do you honestly know they'd give him that? How many of you ACTUALLY KNOW NXT would give him a chance to change things around? Right now, crowd loves him. Should he be doing alot more? God, yes. So should D-Bry though. Gareth, you should know. Hogan was kinda decent in Japan. Back to WWE, back to being shit. WWE likes to limit things because they pamper the wrestlers.

Chris Hero should've been treated just like El Generico. They put him in with HIS gimmick he had throughout the indies. It would've been perfect. CM Punk got to do it, El Generico got to do it, technically speaking D-Bry got to do it. So why the hell couldn't they just let Chris Hero come in as Chris Hero is beyond me.

I do blame developmental maybe more than I should, but that's because there's nice proof it sucks. Hell, they didn't even want Punk going that far. Punk was another top indie guy, and they wouldn't do shit with them, if it wasn't for Cornette and Heyman, there probably was going to be some trouble for Punk. Funny enough, I believe if those two were involved, Chris Hero would have a better shot.

All I'm saying is, let's not point all fingers at Kassius. There's some strong reason why it might not be his fault, and he's only doing as much as he's limited to. Which is a damn shame.

Really do hope we will someday get some Hero on RAW.

#20 ·
Why then have other indy stars like Ambrose, Rollins, Graves, Bryan, Cesaro and Neville been able to make an impact? I agree about the gimmick but 'Chris Hero' was a shitty name and there isn't any reason why he couldn't still be doing what was successful for him before. NXT isn't run by the same people who run RAW and Smackdown, it's a place free from vendettas where the talent are encouraged to develop characters and play to their strengths. Literally every other indy star has more or less been able to play the same character and improved on it, why would they choose to limit Ohno alone? I really think you are clutching at straws.

#22 ·
I agree that he has the talent, he just isn't showing it at the moment. However I don't think you can blame the system when everyone else on NXT is able to shine. Yes, people have to change tweak their character and ring-style somewhat but they aren't going to sign a guy and then take away everything that was good about him, that hasn't happened to any of the other indy talents, they've all taken their previous characters and massively improved on them whereas Ohno seems to have gone backwards even since his FCW debut last year. I'm not saying he's purposely dropping the ball, that would be stupid, as you say nobody knows what's going on. IIRC he got a pretty bad concussion attempting a moonsault at a house show last year so maybe he's low on confidence or something, who knows. All we can judge is the end product, and for whatever reason Ohno isn't anywhere near the level he should be.

#23 ·
I really hope it comes together for him. A guy of his size, ability, mic skills, and ability to play face or heel you would think he would be right there with everyone else but it hasn't panned out. Maybe its who he's working with? Maybe he feels guys like Dallas, Steamboat, and other in NXT are not up to his level instead or using his ability to make them shine. I really really hope he comes around cause he is in some of my favorite matches ever. All star weekend 2011 comes to mind. The no top rope match with Cesaro and then night two against Akira in his good by match was amazing and nothing like what he is now. He just dosent seem to have that fire.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#27 · (Edited)
Perhaps, he doesn't wish to really push himself to the limit or is still reluctant to obey or listen to the developmental trainers. He has the abilities and is good, but it seems there is a problem with his training or the storylines.

It happens sometimes, you lose your motivation or you become jealous from colleagues and finally you slightly give up without even noticing that you aren't improving anymore.

You consider that the staff doesn't like or trust you or already gave up, when you are the sole reason for this slowing down.

Chris Hero was tested in december 2011 and failed a first test with WWE (allegedly for high testerone levels) and he became chubbier. This physical change was so impressive ... and unnatural.

He doesn't seem to lift a lot or to try to become less chubby. He is older and different than the others, it doesn't help to be confident in your future.

- Is he still motivated ?
- Did WWE give up a long time ago ?
- Is he so confident that he doesn't listen to his trainers ?

Of course, I don't know everything.

WWE just give him a Jesus gimmick and launch him against Undertaker.

#28 ·
I think you are making it a problem too early. During the next shows he is going to develop his feud with Regal and I guess that might help him improve his character. They finally splited their random tag team with Kruger which just pulled them both backwards. About the matches the whole feud with Richie was decent enough though Richie is far not the best performer using the same set of father's moves. So all he needs now is a nice feud with a good opponent. And the whole repeat of the unfinished Regal/Ambrose feud that we are about to see is a great choice

#34 ·
Like others have said, I think the reasoning for his lackluster performances so far are due to him transitioning to the WWE style. We know that he was good as Chris Hero on the indies, so we know he has the talent to succeed.

I think the biggest issue right now is that he's having trouble making the change from 'badguy Chris Hero' to 'badguy Kassius Ohno.' What do I mean by that? As Chris Hero, he relied upon outside interference from managers like Hagadorn and Del Ray & cheap tactics like the loaded elbow pad to gain heat, but his moveset didn't really change. As Ohno, he's following the typical WWE formula to get heat within a match - deliberate moves and reliance on restholds so babyfaces can get the crowd behind them.

He's in a tough spot right now - Ziggler's basically using his heel Chris Hero shtick, while Barrett is using the best parts of his Ohno heel shtick. I think he's much better suited to be a face in WWE and he'd be a really good foil for Barrett IMO. That's how I'd debut him, in a feud with Wade and be the one to dethrone his IC reign.

#35 ·
I suppose what the others have said could make a point, if others have done it just fine, why he can't he.

I just really have a hard time trying to figure out what it could be either way. The guy was a fucking amazing performer before FCW.

So he gets into WWE, then he suddenly just stops? I don't know, I honestly have a hard time trying to piece the puzzle together.

Maybe he's actually having some issue WITH the people in charge? He was a top dog in the indies, maybe he's handling it like Punk did.. except they aren't giving him the leadway they did Punk when he stood up to the ones in charge?

I don't know, I guess it might just be him. God damn, that'd be really stupid if he honestly was just dropping the ball. Here's to hoping everything turns out better. Rather see him up there, than I would Slow Dallas and Roidback.

#37 ·
If that's the case then he needs to know his place. WWE compromises for no one. He may be talented, but deliberately acting out because they aren't using him well is not the right way to go about doing things. At this point all he should be doing is working on his character and fine tuning his in ring work for the WWE style.

#38 ·
Don't see why people think Punk had a layer of protection. Coming into OVW, Punk only got to keep his name and character because Paul Heyman was running OWV and protected him from the WWE filter he would have went though like everybody else. He said it in his documentary. Generico, we don't know IF he's keeping anything yet other than that one house show. Daniel Bryan is pretty much Bryan Danielson with a WWE personality, when you think about it so not much of a change.

Hero has been pretty disappointing in FCW so far and I don't know why but that's how I feel but I KNOW he can do better as THANOS has explained.

#39 ·
He has a terrible kayfabe name in NXT. That's going to hurt him more than anything else, honestly. I'm not sure who comes up with the names but they're shooting blanks more often than not. His body can be hidden by the right ring gear if it becomes that much of a problem. No, he's not chiseled like a statue but he's in good ring shape & can work for lengthy times. Granted in WWE that doesn't really matter unless you're at the top of the card. He needs to be able to do a seven minute TV match without putting people to sleep.

He needs a personality. His entire persona right now, only to smarks, is "the guy that used to be Chris Hero." That's not good enough. He doesn't have any character, personality or depth. He really needs to flesh his character out. He's way too one-dimensional right now. Fuck, anything. A caveman gimmick, a rugged Robert Redford mountainman gimmick. SOMETHING.

#40 ·
Those videos did more to make me dislike Hero than it did to make me like him. Those promos weren't that good, and the whole "That Knockout Kid" thing is annoying and I hate it. Whatever he's gonna do he has to do now as he's 32 and still in development. None the less, he's impressive, and I'm not a indy fan. Chris Hero wasn't a great name, but Kassius Ohno isn't the much of an improvement, and I must be the only guy under the sun who find's Cesaro bland and boring. Anyway, Ohno's got some moves and he can really put together a decent WWE move set. That discuss big boot is beautiful, but he's not going to be doing that while Sheamus is using the brogue, Barrett's taken the elbow, and that Rolling Cutter is Cody's thing. IMO he's too big of a guy to be using the moonsault or anything on the WWE main roster, but if he gets up the card it would be nice to see him pull it out in match. What he need's to do is find a finish and work down from there.

#42 ·
Yeah, Hero picked the Kassius Ohno name himself - and while we're on the topic, people make a bigger deal out of names than they need to. I'm a huge fan of Punk, but do people really think 'CM Punk' is a name that sounds good? A name doesn't matter that much if the performer can entertain - sure, there may be some names that have hurt guys careers, but Kassius Ohno isn't one of those IMO.

Like I said earlier, I think the biggest problem is that he doesn't work that well as a typical WWE heel. It strips him of a lot of his uniqueness and I think he's much better suited to be a face in WWE. Just my two cents though.

#43 · (Edited)
Especially whilst we have so many average names around. I actually think there's only been about 5 really marketable names in as many years.
At this point it looks to me like K O has believed his own hype and its hurt him. The other problem is that being a heel is difficult when top faces include Richie and Bo...

#48 ·
Just listened to the first two promos. Both are way better than that Bashes & Gashes thing Ohno is trying to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.