Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

2M views 21K replies 512 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
#20,461 ·
I don't think I watched that one Cal. Pretty sure most of my apathy and loathing was directed at Malenko IIRC. Think it might have been one of Rickeey, Seabs, Moops or maybe even Andy.

And yeah going back to LMS matches, its HHH/Jericho from Fully Loaded followed by Cena/Umaga '07. Can't think of what I'd cite as the third best LMS match but its way below the top two. Arguably HHH's career performance alongside being Jericho's standout performance.

As to whoever said Morrison/Sheamus from TLC '10 was one of the better ladder matches in company history (capone?), I agree. Top 3 imo.

#20,463 ·
Top 5 last man standing matches:

1. Chris Jericho vs Triple H fully loaded 2000
2. John Cena vs Umaga Royal Rumble 2007
3. Triple H vs Randy Orton No Mercy 2007
4. Triple H vs Ric Flair Survivor Series 2005
5. John Cena vs Edge Backlash 2009

Ill be straight up, after the top 2 I had trouble remembering other great LMS matches. I really think they are head and shoulders above the rest. I could be forgetting some other great matches, however the only other I can think of is Taker/Batista but truth be told I'm not a big fan of it anyway. The Game is the King of the Last man standing match :HHH

#20,465 ·
Here is a list of most LMS matches, I got it off another poster of another forum.

The Rock vs Mankind WWF TItle St Valintimes Day Massacre 1999.
Chris Jericho vs HHH Fully Loaded 2000
Chris Jericho vs Kane Armageddon 2000
Shane McMahon vs the Big Show Backlash 2001
Shane McMahon vs Kane Unforgiven 2003
Shawn Michaels vs HHH WHC Royal Rumble 2004
JBL vs. Kurt Angle - the SD! before Royal Rumble 2005
MIB Contract on the line Edge vs Chris Benoit Backlash 2005
HHH vs Ric Flair Surivior Series 2005
The Undertaker vs. The Great Khali - SD! 2006
Umaga vs John Cena for the WWE TItle Royal Rumble 2007
Bastista vs Undertaker for the WHC Backlash 2007
Orton vs HHH WWE Title No Mercy 2007
Batista vs. Kane - SD!, December 14th 2007
Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michales Raw 2008
Triple H def. Randy Orton - One Night Stand 2008
Big Show vs Undertaker Cyber Sunday 2008
Big Show vs. Triple H - SD! January 2009
MVP vs. Big Show - SD! 2009
Edge vs John Cena WHC Backlash 2009
HHH vs Randy Orton for the WWE Title Raw 2009
Batista vs John Cena Extreme Rules 2010
Kane vs Edge SD! 2010.

#20,467 ·
Top 5 LMS:

1) Cena/Umaga RR 07
2) Jericho/HHH FL00
3) Edge/Cena BL 09
4) Taker/Show CS 08
5) Taker/Batista BL 07

#20,468 ·
Top 5 LMS matches:

5.Rock/Mankind- Valentine's Day Massacre '99
4.Taker/Batista- BL 07
3.Cena/Edge- BL 09
2.HHH/Jericho- Fully Loaded
1.Cena/Umaga- RR 07

#20,470 ·
Sorry to slide from topic to topic but what did you guys think of the last ride match between JBL and Undertaker at NM 04?

I give it a ***3/4 after watching last night, I liked the tombstone on the steel steps and the chokeslam through the announce table and i know some of you might call it a spot-fest but i thought it was brutal and a true brawl between two tough texans. Great match IMO.

#20,471 ·
favourite PPV matches from WCW 1996-1997?
Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio (GAB '96, Rey's WCW debut)
Ultimo Dragon vs. Rey Mysterio (WW3 '96)
Juventud Guerrera, Hector Garza, Lizmark Jr. vs. La Parka, Psychosis, Villano IV (Bash at the Beach '97)

Only ones I can think of atm.
Breaking Point I Quit needs love here. That takes the cake right now as my personal favorite Cena vs Orton match. NWO '08 clocks in at #2. I don't hate Hell in a Cell or Iron Man either. Summerslam '07 is solid, '09's is whatever, & Unforgiven '07 is terrible.
Never understood the love of the I Quit match. Cena gets fucking destroyed & Orton comes off looking like a chump from losing to like two moves, and they're nowhere as severe as the moves Lesnar took to lose. ** 3/4 for me.
Cena in I quit matches are fucking pointless lol. Like cena would scream I quit!
(Y)
Wait, they are pretending that they are airing Wrestlemania X-7 but then act like one of the matches on the card never happened? Fuck that shit. If I'm gonna watch WM17, I'll just get the DVD version or download the whole thing in good quality and connect the PC to a television for comfortable viewing.

It's obvious when WWE Network is launched and they air old Raw, SD or PPVs that they'll remove anything involving Benoit which is why I hope the damn thing flops hard.

On another note, finally watched Christian/Orton for the first time since the day it happened and wow, what an awesome match. Everything from the nearfalls to the counters, the callback spots and Orton having second thoughts about the punt as well as his inverted Boston Crab was just great! Best match in Over the Limit history. ★★★★½.

And now, two wrestler I wanted to get familiar with are Sting and Dean Malenko. Any recommendations?
Billy Goat's Curse! Marked out hard for that move, the crowd literally had no reaction. :p

#20,472 ·
Cena/Miz from OTL 11 was the stupidest match I've ever seen

#20,474 ·
SMIG's Top 29 Wrestlemania matches of all time

29. WWE Championship - John Cena(c) vs Triple H (Wrestlemania XXII)
28. Edge vs Mick Foley (Hardcore Match ; Wrestlemania XXII)
27. WWF Tag Team Championship - Edge & Christian vs The Dudley Boys vs The Hardy Boys (TLC Match : Wrestlemania XVII)
26. The Rock vs Hulk Hogan (Icon vs Icon ; Wrestlemania XVIII)
25. WWE Championship - Randy Savage(c) vs Hulk Hogan (Wrestlemania V)
24. Intercontinental Championship - Roddy Piper(c) vs Bret Hart (Wrestlemania VIII)

23. Triple H vs Undertaker (Wrestlemania XXVII)

"The only thing you have left deadman is the streak and when it dies you die, and if I can't end it ill die trying" Triple H​

My god was the start of this awesome, honestly one of my favourite 5 minute starts to a match ever. It fit the storyline so well, this wasn't going to be a wrestling match, it was brawl a fight between the last two of their kind. All the amazing brawling and spots like the spine buster through the table had me marking out like a bitch. After this though was when it dropped for me, I get it storyline wise they were going out there hitting every big move they had. But it was just too slow for me and none of those finishers in that sequence were good near falls, which is apparent in all Taker Wrestlemania matches now. However, I do still believe this match has the best near fall of all time to me, for a match where I gave HHH zero chance the tombstone spot had me saying wow the streak is over. That spot honestly gives me chills everytime. This match was the perfect setup for their rematch 1 year later, with Taker barely coming away with the win. HHH may have lost the match, but he was the only man who walked out on his own 2 feet. This is a really polarizing match, but I think it's a borderline classic, with more action in the middle this could of had top 10 potential.​

**** 1/4​

22. World Heavyweight Championship - Batista(c) vs Undertaker (Wrestlemania XXIII)​

"I will not be intimidated" Batista​

One of the greatest things about Wrestling is when you hit gold, when your not expecting it. This match is straight up awesome, and ill be the first person to say I had my doubts with this match. Both guys were incredible and this was just a straight up war, not a classic wrestling match but two huge guys beating the crap out of each other. This has to be one of Batista's best performances ever, I loved how intense he was because he had so much to prove. Even though he was the champion, no one respected him and just thought Taker would just roll over him and take the title with ease. I loved how he busted out moves you weren't expecting like the top rope shoulder block. This was just a flat out sprint, with no rest holds which makes this so easy to watch. Undertaker is a guy who thrives on intimidating his opponents, but on this night Batista backed up his word that he wasnt intimidated of the Undertaker. The finishing sequence was great and we got a great near fall with the Batista Bomb. This has to be one of the most pleasant surprises in Wrestlemania history, and was every bit as good as my last view. Not my MOTN, but very close. This is the first match in Takers incredible series of Wrestlemania matches, and its a classic.

**** 1/4​

#20,475 ·
Top 5 LMS:
1 - HHH/Jericho
2 - Cena/Umaga
3 - Rock/Mankind
4 - HHH/Orton I
5 - Taker/Show

What about I Quit matches?
My top 5:
1 - Rock/Mankind
2 - Cena/JBL
3 - Flair/Foley
4 - Cena/Orton
5 - Rock/HHH

#20,476 ·
Top 5 LMS:
1. Cena vs Umaga (RR) - ★★★★½
2. Orton vs HHH (NM) - ★★★★½
3. Jericho vs HHH (FL) - ★★★★½
4. Flair vs HHH (SVS) - ★★★★¼
5. Taker vs Show (CS) - ★★★★

HM: Taker vs Batista (BL), Orton vs HHH (Raw), Benoit vs Edge (BL)

I Quit:
1. Cena vs JBL (JD) - ★★★★½
2. ROCK vs Mankind (RR) - ★★★★½
3. Flair vs Foley (SS)
4. Orton vs Cena (BP)
5. Batista vs Cena (OTL)

The last one is pretty much by default since I'm not familiar with many I Quit matches. At least it was not Miz vs Cena, though!

#20,477 ·
That's that shit I DO LIKE SMIG :mark:.

Top Five LMS :

1. HHH/Jericho Fully Loaded

2. Cena/Umaga Royal Rumble
3. HHH/Flair Survivor Series
4. HHH/Orton No Mercy
5. Edge/Benoit Backlash 2005

HAITCH/Jericho is the greatest Last Man Standing match of all time for sure, and I don't really think anything even comes close to coming close. That match was pretty much Triple H's career performance and honestly ? It's my MOTY for 2000, even above the epic Street Fight at the Royal Rumble. That performance and dissection by GAME is God Like.

I Quit

1. Cena/JBL No Mercy 05
2. Rock/Foley Royal Rumble 99
3. Flair/Foley Summerslam 06
4. Cena/Batista OTL 10
5. Vince/Stephanie NM 03 Perhaps ?

I Quit is not a gimmick that produces many "classics" (only Cena-JBL, and that might not even fall in my top 10 of 2005 due to how I feel it's the best year in WWE history besides maybe 2001,2000, and 1997 just because of how top heavy it is), kind of like cage matches in that way honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.