Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cena vs. CM Punk #1 Contender's Match

86K views 780 replies 393 participants last post by  Headliner 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#110 ·
Re: John Cena vs. CM Punk #1 Contender's Match Next Monday Night

They will have a draw or something like that. because Punk has not a Match already yet at WM. It would be the best push for John Cena, if he beats at Mania CM Punk and TheRock. And that's what the WWE is going to do. A Triple Threat Match at WM.

#111 ·

It looks like they will play this out to be a triple threat, but if Taker is coming back this is how I would book it:

15 minutes into the match Cena hits the AA with the ref down and the lights go off. Enter Shield to beat Cena. Punk crawls to get the pin but Cena kicks out. Punk hits GTS and the lights go out again. Enter Taker. Tombstone. Cena wins.

#112 ·

Punk needs to walk out of wrestlemania as champ, but its gonna be cena that will :(

#115 ·

I'm looking forward to the match more than the outcome of it. Whatever happens next week in their match, I expect Punk and Cena to give us one hell of a match. These two work greatly together in the ring so I can't wait for it.

#118 ·

Called it to be a triple threat bout the very moment Cena cut that promo on Raw after the Rumble PPV. I guess this match will end up being a draw or they might pull off a disqualification finish leading to both of them advancing into the main event with The Rock.

#119 ·

I think people are hoping for a triple threat when in reality it will just be a singles match.

Punk has had probably the best two years of any wrestler so rather then just kill him out of the picture they are gently removing him from the main event scene. With Rock not being around for a couple of weeks they need something to keep it interesting on the show. Having Punk against Cena on Raw is the answer to that.
The whole point of those two weeks will be to make Cena look strong again. The whole thing about not beating Punk or the Rock is just to remind people of Cena's gimmick which is to overcome the odds, that he is somehow the underdog. We all know it is bullshit but that is how Vince likes to portray him.

Cena will beat Punk and Punk will then blame Heyman for him missing out on Mania. Maybe even attacking Heyman which will then get Brock involved but more importantly break up Punk and Heyman. Punk flees from Brock and HHH comes out setting up the start for Brock vs HHH at Mania. HBK will probably eventually get involved too.

This leaves Punk to feud with Taker. He will probably continue on his delusional gimmick path talking about how he has the greatest streak in the last 20+ years as he held the belt longer then anyone since 1983. This will obviously be the set up for Taker to come out and say his is better etc.

If Taker does not come out and skips Mania then I see Punk maybe becoming leader of The Shield and having a 4 man tag match at Mania. Possibly against Sheamus,Ryback,Jericho and someone else.

There are a lot of guys still without a match for Mania but there are also already obvious matches in place
Rio vs Swagger
Kane vs Bryan
Rock vs Cena
Diva vs Diva

Mania normally has around 8 matches so that leaves around another 4/5 matches.
And typically there is a big tag match. Last year was Smackdown vs Raw 12 man match. Year before was 6 man mixed match with Trish etc. So I can see The Shield being that match this year. The question simply is who would face them. WWE could go in many different paths with it by either keeping Ryback,Sheamus and Jericho feuding with them or by adding more guys i.e Punk/Orton.

#122 ·

CM Punk is probably going to lose every big match he's in until WM, and he'll probably lose that match too.

I can't believe their top heel is going down on free TV, but then again, this is WWE we're talking about. Heels are worthless chicken shits now.

#123 ·

There's just no way. I think some are missing the non kayfabe point of this match.

1. It's because there is no Rock next week, so WWE has built up a marquee main event to help draw ratings.

2. They've already led with the "redemption" line for Cena. He's going to beat both men whom stood in his way in the past. First, Punk next week, then Rock at WM. Also, it's an explainable and kayfabe way to get Punk out of the title picture.

I would be more shocked than I've been in quite some time if they make it a triple threat match. It's just not happening in my opinion.

The sole purpose is to draw ratings on a week when the WWE Champion won't be there, and to make Cena look strong and have super momentum going into Wrestlemania. I think it's as simple as that really.

#130 ·

Me too. I live 15 minutes from the stadium, so I was tempted. But I just knew (and this was months ago), that WWE would somehow, someway find a way to completely botch the first WM to take place in the NY/NJ area in an 82,000+ seat stadium. And they did.

#127 ·

This is the worse possible scenario for Punk. Either he loses to Cena next week or he waits until WM 29, so he can be on the mat with The Rock while Cena is hoisting the belt above his shoulders.

#131 ·

Can't believe wwe are using punk like a foot stool. Shocking.

#133 ·

Even if Punk does get thrown into the main event at Mania, we all know it's just to give Cena his win.
So this whole past year has been about building towards putting the strap back on Cena.

Having Cena beat The Rock wont elevate him any higher, he's reached his ceiling!
Having Punk act as some sort of fodder in the match devalues what he's accomplished during the previous twelve months.

I'd prefer Punk stay out of it, let SuperCena have his win over The Rock and we can all move on.

Now what to do with Punk at Mania? Remember, he's still the only person who has technically made The Deadman tap out. That could easily be enough to make The Undertaker want to set that record straight and we then have a reason for the match. Punk will be still under the delusion that he never lost the title, so he wants to fight for the one thing more valuable than that at Mania, The Streak! Only thing about that is, I love The Undertaker and want him to retire with The Streak intact. What point is there though for Punk to lose against Taker? It does nothing for him other than make him less relevant. Having him win though, now, that would be heat you just couldn't buy and also give him huge credibility going back onto feuding with Cena once The Rock has departed back to Hollywood.

#134 ·

Even if Punk does get thrown into the main event at Mania, we all know it's just to give Cena his win.
So this whole past year has been about building towards putting the strap back on Cena.

Having Cena beat The Rock wont elevate him any higher, he's reached his ceiling!
Having Punk act as some sort of fodder in the match devalues what he's accomplished during the previous twelve months.

I'd prefer Punk stay out of it, let SuperCena have his win over The Rock and we can all move on.

Now what to do with Punk at Mania? Remember, he's still the only person who has technically made The Deadman tap out. That could easily be enough to make The Undertaker want to set that record straight and we then have a reason for the match. Punk will be still under the delusion that he never lost the title, so he wants to fight for the one thing more valuable than that at Mania, The Streak! Only thing about that is, I love The Undertaker and want him to retire with The Streak intact. What point is there though for Punk to lose against Taker? It does nothing for him other than make him less relevant. Having him win though, now, that would be heat you just couldn't buy and also give him huge credibility going back onto feuding with Cena once The Rock has departed back to Hollywood.
Punk losing three of his biggest matches of his career in a row doesn't appeal to me.

#135 ·

As much as I don't want it to happen, it wouldn't shock me if they put Punk into the Cena/Rock match because Rock seemingly can't work a 25 minute match anymore.

#137 ·

WrestleMania w/o Taker right now just wouldn't feel right. I'd much rather have Cena v Rock, Taker v Punk over Rock, Cena, Punk.

Cena's winning regardless.
I agree, Wrestlemania would seem totally out of place without Taker. However, if he doesn't show, that's alright. He's done more than enough for all of his fans throughout the years. Although, if I must say I am kind of banking on him returning next week. As I know for a fact, I will not watch Wrestlemania if he is not on the card. As for the Triple Threat, that match would be quite boring to me to be honest. We've already dealt enough with the Cena Vs Punk three times, and Rock Vs Cena (maybe two at WM) and Punk Vs Rock Two times, I'm sorry but we already have enough repetitiveness going on. At least Punk Vs Taker sounds more fresh. As for those who claim "They feuded before" Well, that was a couple of years ago. Punk is a much more high caliber wrestler now than he was then. He get more pops and reactions now too. I really do hope Taker returns next week, I really do.

As for all of those articles talking about him retiring at 30, I call bull on that. I mean seriously, every time it gets Wrestlemania Season people keep talking about his last match being either the match he's planning on making it to or the one after. It always happens and you know what also always happens?

The Undertaker still ends up doing another Wrestlemania and proving them wrong. People say that Cena is McMahon's cashcow, yeah that maybe so but when it comes to Wrestlemania, Taker draws way more than anyone. You know for a fact that McMahon is going to try to keep using Taker as much as he can each year. As for his health, to be honest....no one knows how bad Taker's health is. All of the articles on dirtsheets or any other news site really doesn't mean crap. They are all rumors, they are not known facts unless Taker says so himself. Oh great, so he hasn't returned yet...that automatically means he's out for Wrestlemania? I think not, remember this is The Undertaker the known Leader of The Locker Room for most of his time that he was with WWE, he will return under his own terms when he wants and how he wants. Why do you think he had a meeting with McMahon last week in Nashville? Well, I to be honest don't know the answer to that but I will however state my opinion. If you look at both personalities, I believe McMahon wanted to talk over a good return date of Taker's liking.

To be honest though, the articles about how his health is bad and how he may not return and the him "retiring" thing that they've been doing for a couple years now, it doesn't really bother me at all and it's actually quite old because each year they get proved wrong. lol. Anyways, as to the match between John Cena Vs CM Punk....My instinct tells me The Deadman may make his presence felt in his home state. As for the ones who said it'd be a Triple Threat Match, I do see where you're coming from but to me....Meh.

#139 · (Edited)

I think people are missing the point here of the possible triple threat, and why it's an important option for WWE to entertain. The point isn't for Punk to go over. Not at all. Punk isn't going over in any Wrestlemania scenario that can be tabled, so people can just shut up about that. It's not what's important here. Everyone knows Cena is winning regardless of the match type, but what this whole thing comes down to is three things.

1. What Punk has earned and deserves
2. Adding a different dimension to Wrestlemania 29, to not make it "Twice in a Lifetime"
3. Punk not being knocked back down from where WWE has worked so hard to get him

Let's tackle the 3rd bullet first. If Taker ends up returning for a match with Punk, it will only end up damaging Punk and devaluing all of the work they put into getting him to the level he's currently at. Seeing as he's already lost to Rock twice, will have to lose to Cena on Raw next week, and then will have to ultimately lose to Taker at Mania, the only thing that comes from that sequence of matches where Punk "gave it his all", is that he still can't be viewed in the same light as those top dogs; whether golden boy or legend alike.

That's a big problem. WWE his hanging their hat on way too many returning stars year after year at Wrestlemania, and they have failed to create a new main event superstar - except Punk. He's on the cusp of that level, but needs that final push to keep him there. What a waste that 435 day title reign would be, if it were all to just push him back down once the "bigger" stars show up for the big show.

Look, like I said Punk's not winning in either match situation here, but being in the WWE Title match with Cena and Rock puts him at the top of the card, and does a hell of a lot more than a match, in the middle of the card, with Taker would ever do. Punk has earned his spot at the very top of the Wrestlemania card this year, and it would be a damn shame for him to have anything less. If he has to share it with Cena and Rock, so be it...not bad company to be in at the main event of what could be the biggest Wrestlemania ever.

The whole approach to Rock/Cena II and Punk/Taker just seems counter productive to me. At least in the triple threat scenario, Punk likely will get the win over Cena on Raw next week, he'll get the Wrestlemania main event rub, but also doesn't necessarily need to take the pinfall on the grand stage.

Cena is going over whether it's 1 on 1 with Rock, or a triple theat, and I don't think anyone should try and make a case otherwise. That much is locked in stone. But Punk's presence in the match adds a new element to the recycled match of Rock/Cena. And don't worry about Punk being the scape goat for Cena to get his win, and further protect Rock. Make no mistake about it, that pinfall is coming from Rock's shoulders - not any other. Rock has been built up and protected up until this point, yes to pop ratings, yes to up PPV buy rates, and yes to gain Hollywood exposure, but it's all been done to put over Cena in the biggest way possible. All that can still happen, but with Punk being protected all along the way, getting him the pay out and spotlight he has worked his ass off for and deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.