Wrestling Forum banner

BIG GAME ROBBEN

352K views 9K replies 237 participants last post by  steamed hams 
#1 ·
Since Liverpool are starting their Europa League campaign tonight, may as well start this thread now.

This will be rodgers first season in Europe, so I expect he'll look to have a solid competition. I reckon AVB will take this competition more seriously than Redknapp and Newcastle will want to do well for sure. Hopefully these three teams will do well and help England's co-efficient points.

As for the CL, we're retaining it :jordan2

See less See more
#5,702 ·
Re: UEFA Champions/Europa League 2012-13 Thread - EGame about to go Randy Marsh

They were missing the FRANCK.

Therefore you can't really judge them on how they played

#5,708 ·

Why you picking on Ramsey? He was fine.

Bayern would be my 3rd choice. I'd take the Spanish giants over them. Juve, Dortmund, and Galatarsay (sp) would be compelling matchups. I'd think that a full-team Bayern would beat those three, but they'd be close matches.

#5,712 ·

Why you picking on Ramsey? He was fine.

Bayern would be my 3rd choice. I'd take the Spanish giants over them. Juve, Dortmund, and Galatarsay (sp) would be compelling matchups. I'd think that a full-team Bayern would beat those three, but they'd be close matches.
Ramsey was fine because he is so shit usually that an ordinary performance makes him look like Maradona in comparison. :p

Rosicky was so poor, btw. Totally not in it.

#5,711 ·

Nobody is questioning Bayern's credentials. It's their mentality. The defeat has diminished Bayern's invincibility this season. When any team goes to the AA, they would have it in mind that Arsenal--the weakest English team in the CL--came out with a victory and a clean sheet.

As for the CL winners, I'd want Juventus or Dortmund to win it. It's unlikely though.

#5,720 ·

Nobody is questioning Bayern's credentials. It's their mentality. The defeat has diminished Bayern's invincibility this season. When any team goes to the AA, they would have it in mind that Arsenal--the weakest English team in the CL--came out with a victory and a clean sheet.

As for the CL winners, I'd want Juventus or Dortmund to win it. It's unlikely though.
Dortmund or PSG winning it would be awesome.

#5,714 ·

any team can have an off day though. we should've beaten madrid if it wasn't for a couple of mistakes. 2 mistakes, 2 goals.

just using this as an example and saying 'bayern will bottle it' is just presumptuous. they might well bottle it. they might well break the bottle and go on and win it. either scenario can play out. but i dont see how using just one leg where a team was up with 3 away goals is an indicator for what will happen next.

anyways, this is the best group of qf teams i can remember for a while. no massive weak link. maybe malaga but they've been amazingly plucky and deserve to be there. will be a couple of very big ties imo.

#5,721 ·

any team can have an off day though. we should've beaten madrid if it wasn't for a couple of mistakes. 2 mistakes, 2 goals.

just using this as an example and saying 'bayern will bottle it' is just presumptuous. they might well bottle it. they might well break the bottle and go on and win it. either scenario can play out. but i dont see how using just one leg where a team was up with 3 away goals is an indicator for what will happen next.

anyways, this is the best group of qf teams i can remember for a while. no massive weak link. maybe malaga but they've been amazingly plucky and deserve to be there. will be a couple of very big ties imo.
You're missing the point. People aren't calling Bayern bottlers based on this one result against Arsenal. Bayern have a history of bottling it. It's the history that's doing the talking. Bayern and Germany have a history of choking at the most crucial stages of big tournaments. Unless Bayern win the CL this season, it will be very tough for them to put a shut into those claims.

#5,715 ·

Surprised Malaga beat Porto, nothing wrong with them but really thought Porto would do the business.

tbf this was a Bayern without Ribery, Bastian, Badstuber, Boateng so not at full strength. Neuer being a prick too, refs really should be stopping that from happening, stupid time wasting tactic.

#5,722 ·

^He's right. Germany and German Giants "Bayern" always flop in the finals. It's like a crucial modern football rule. If my dear "Arsenal" were to get in the finals and I could choose which opponent to face Barca or Bayern, I would immediately pick Bayern.

#5,724 ·

^He's right. Germany and German Giants "Bayern" always flop in the finals. It's like a crucial modern football rule. If my dear "Arsenal" were to get in the finals and I could choose which opponent to face Barca or Bayern, I would immediately pick Bayern.
Champions League wins: Bayern Munich - 4 Barcelona - 4

Also be this logic Arsenal ALWAYS flop in the finals.

#5,730 ·

Bayern are brilliant. One of the best of teams around.

But you cannot deny that this current crop are bottlers. But I'd like to see you try.
To be fair, Bayern pretty much tore Chelsea a new arsehole but just couldn't score because Cech, Cahill(DAT BRAVE Terry style blocking), and Cole were being BRAVE. Drogba gets a lot of the credit for the win and deservedly so but it was Cech who pretty much kept Chelsea in the game and won them the shootout. Still can't believe how he went the right way all the time.

#5,731 ·
MY PREDICTIONS:
Galatasaray (goat) vs Malaga
Bayern vs Juventus
Real Madrid vs PSG
Barcelona vs Dortmund
These are true my people.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#5,740 ·

When they do the draw tomorrow, do they do the draw for the semi-finals as well? I think they've done that the last few years.
Yes. The draw tomorrow is for both the QFs and SFs.

You think it's easy to play without your 2 best players ? Imagine Barcelona without Messi and Iniesta or Madrid without Ronaldo and Ozil. It's funny though, before the game everyone was on the Bayern bandwagon and now suddenly after the first loss in 2013 and 3rd in the season overall we're a shit, bottling team. It's great that the eventual loss came in this game, should wake us up and I will laugh once we eliminate whoever we get in the QFs and you all start praising the 'GOATZUKIC' and Ribery once again.
You have a point. We all know that it's not easy. What everyone's saying in essence is that the team Bayern put out last night should be able to beat Arsenal or at the very least not suffer a humiliating defeat like 2-0, or having to defend for the last few minutes to get through etc. That Bayern line up was better than Arsenal's in alsmost every department. It's just like Chelsea/QPR at the Bridge this season. We rested key players, yeah, but the team we went out with should beat QPR COMFORTABLY. Not comparing the two, just giving an example.

#5,734 ·

You think it's easy to play without your 2 best players ? Imagine Barcelona without Messi and Iniesta or Madrid without Ronaldo and Ozil. It's funny though, before the game everyone was on the Bayern bandwagon and now suddenly after the first loss in 2013 and 3rd in the season overall we're a shit, bottling team. It's great that the eventual loss came in this game, should wake us up and I will laugh once we eliminate whoever we get in the QFs and you all start praising the 'GOATZUKIC' and Ribery once again.

#5,736 ·

I was never on the bandwagon.

They weren't winning it regardless of last nights result.

It's gunna be an El Classico final.

#5,738 ·

I was never on the bandwagon.

They weren't winning it regardless of last nights result.

It's gunna be an El Classico final.
Ugh.. Anything but a Clasico final for me. ANYTHING. Give me Gala vs PSG. Last thing we need is FIFA and UEFA giving La Liga (well pretty much Barca/Real) another massive blowjob.

#5,741 ·

Yeah Bayern should have won but they didn't need to win and they got through. If Robben wasn't so wasteful then they probably wouldn't have lost. Put Ribery in them positions and Bastian in the middle and it might have been different. Don't be too quick to forget how they killed Arsenal at the Emirates. One bad showing in a game they didn't NEED to win doesn't make them overrated. Just makes them capable of beating. Just like every other team in the world. This generation of Germans are becoming notorious bottlers though, can't deny that.

No clear favourites right now. 4 teams who are definitely strong enough to win and 2 potential dark horses. If Barca play like they did on Tuesday then nobody's beating them. Tito's due back soon and that'll give them a resurgence and that win will do wonders for their confidence. If anyone else was managing Madrid then I'd rule them out but it almost seems like fate for Jose to win. Bayern are obviously good enough but can they finish it off when it matters? Juve are good enough but do they have the goals in them to finish teams off? Can't see PSG getting past one of them 4 tbh. Dortmund have a stronger chance than PSG but again I don't see them getting past Barca, Bayern or Juve.

Hopefully Malaga and Galatasary avoid each other. Would love Barca/Dortmund. I want a Bayern/Juve Semi over 2 legs with the winner facing Barca in the Final. Hoping Bayern and Juve get Malaga/Galatasary and then each other in the Semi and Barca/Dortmund, Real/PSG with a Barca/Real Semi. As long as PSG/Malaga/Gala don't make the Semi I'm good I guess for matches I want.

Malaga in the Quarters? Not bad for a team in a mickey mouse league where everyone below Madrid/Barca are apparently terrible. Hopefully it forces City to fork some extra cash out for Isco in the summer too :fergie

#5,743 ·

Dem predictions:
Barca vs Juventus
Madrid vs Galatasaray
Dortmund vs Bayern
Malaga vs PSG

As a neutral, I'm hoping that Barca win it again, wanna see Messi making another step towards cementing himself as the GOAT.

We are all witnesses :messi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.