Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cena vs. CM Punk #1 Contender's Match

86K views 780 replies 393 participants last post by  Headliner 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#304 · (Edited)
No one wants to see Cena-Rock 2. Rock-Hogan was 100x as hot of a storyline and even that didn't call for a rematch at the next years Mania. If Punk would've won tonight it would actually feel significant and like a character is reaching new heights in his career and it's a big deal. But instead we get anti-climactic "Cena is headlining another WM!!! he's only been in this exact spot for the past 5 years, how captivating!". The WWE tries SO HARD to make the fans believe this is some sort of epic rivalry like Bret/Shawn Michaels or Rock/Austin. No one takes Cena seriously which is why no one takes this rivalry seriously, which is why no one wants to see this match again. STUPID!

I bet Punk is second guessing his decision to stay after another WM out of the Main Event. The guy is so clearly better then Cena in very aspect except as Punk said "Kissing Vince McMahon's ass".. that part really was true from his worked shoot.

#306 ·
No one wants to see Cena-Rock 2. Rock-Hogan was 100x as hot of a storyline and even that didn't call for a rematch at the next years Mania. If Punk would've won tonight it would actually feel significant and like a character is reaching new heights in his career and it's a big deal. But instead we get anti-climactic "Cena is headlining another WM!!! he's only been in this exact spot for the past 5 years, how captivating!". The WWE tries SO HARD to make the fans believe this is some sort of epic rivalry like Bret/Shawn Michaels or Rock/Austin. No one takes Cena seriously which is why no one takes this rivalry seriously, which is why no one wants to see this match again. STUPID!
Preach! Great post

#567 ·
Re: Vince Reportedly Upset During Main Event

Piledriver rolled back the years for us. Surely Vince could trust a pro like Punk to pull it off

Also this is a piledriver -

#13 ·
Re: John Cena vs. CM Punk #1 Contender's Match Next Monday Night

The result of the match depends solely on what The Undertaker's decision is.

I really hope Punk wins, I don't want Rock/Cena II. I'd prefer a triple threat over that to be honest. It won't be a clean finish next week though.

Reactions: DevilsFavouriteDem
#58 ·

Number 1 is my prediction.

Seriously. I think the sole purpose for this match is 2 reasons.

1. Ratings draw on a week with no Rock. Hence, why it didn't happen tonight.
2. Redemption for Super Cena. He beats the two guys "he can't beat", and overcomes it all...once again.

I seriously think that's it. Nothing special, no swerves, no turns, nothing. Just to have something marquee happen when there's no Rock, and to make Cena look strong.

#61 ·

They're going to pin each other. Cena falls on top of Punk after hitting him with an F5 and his shoulders are also down or Punk doing that to him. (ala HHH-HBK 2003 Raw)

#64 ·

They're going to pin each other. Cena falls on top of Punk after hitting him with an F5 and his shoulders are also down or Punk doing that to him. (ala HHH-HBK 2003 Raw)
that would be a great finish actually. hope you're right

#81 ·

It's not going to be a 3 way. Rock/Cena is already locked. I see this match as a way to give Cena his win back on Punk because of the story that he never beat him. Basically it's another part of the build up to Rock/Cena. I don't know what about Taker and how he's going to be involved, but if he works WM29, he needs to be there next week to start his program.

#123 ·

There's just no way. I think some are missing the non kayfabe point of this match.

1. It's because there is no Rock next week, so WWE has built up a marquee main event to help draw ratings.

2. They've already led with the "redemption" line for Cena. He's going to beat both men whom stood in his way in the past. First, Punk next week, then Rock at WM. Also, it's an explainable and kayfabe way to get Punk out of the title picture.

I would be more shocked than I've been in quite some time if they make it a triple threat match. It's just not happening in my opinion.

The sole purpose is to draw ratings on a week when the WWE Champion won't be there, and to make Cena look strong and have super momentum going into Wrestlemania. I think it's as simple as that really.

#139 · (Edited)

I think people are missing the point here of the possible triple threat, and why it's an important option for WWE to entertain. The point isn't for Punk to go over. Not at all. Punk isn't going over in any Wrestlemania scenario that can be tabled, so people can just shut up about that. It's not what's important here. Everyone knows Cena is winning regardless of the match type, but what this whole thing comes down to is three things.

1. What Punk has earned and deserves
2. Adding a different dimension to Wrestlemania 29, to not make it "Twice in a Lifetime"
3. Punk not being knocked back down from where WWE has worked so hard to get him

Let's tackle the 3rd bullet first. If Taker ends up returning for a match with Punk, it will only end up damaging Punk and devaluing all of the work they put into getting him to the level he's currently at. Seeing as he's already lost to Rock twice, will have to lose to Cena on Raw next week, and then will have to ultimately lose to Taker at Mania, the only thing that comes from that sequence of matches where Punk "gave it his all", is that he still can't be viewed in the same light as those top dogs; whether golden boy or legend alike.

That's a big problem. WWE his hanging their hat on way too many returning stars year after year at Wrestlemania, and they have failed to create a new main event superstar - except Punk. He's on the cusp of that level, but needs that final push to keep him there. What a waste that 435 day title reign would be, if it were all to just push him back down once the "bigger" stars show up for the big show.

Look, like I said Punk's not winning in either match situation here, but being in the WWE Title match with Cena and Rock puts him at the top of the card, and does a hell of a lot more than a match, in the middle of the card, with Taker would ever do. Punk has earned his spot at the very top of the Wrestlemania card this year, and it would be a damn shame for him to have anything less. If he has to share it with Cena and Rock, so be it...not bad company to be in at the main event of what could be the biggest Wrestlemania ever.

The whole approach to Rock/Cena II and Punk/Taker just seems counter productive to me. At least in the triple threat scenario, Punk likely will get the win over Cena on Raw next week, he'll get the Wrestlemania main event rub, but also doesn't necessarily need to take the pinfall on the grand stage.

Cena is going over whether it's 1 on 1 with Rock, or a triple theat, and I don't think anyone should try and make a case otherwise. That much is locked in stone. But Punk's presence in the match adds a new element to the recycled match of Rock/Cena. And don't worry about Punk being the scape goat for Cena to get his win, and further protect Rock. Make no mistake about it, that pinfall is coming from Rock's shoulders - not any other. Rock has been built up and protected up until this point, yes to pop ratings, yes to up PPV buy rates, and yes to gain Hollywood exposure, but it's all been done to put over Cena in the biggest way possible. All that can still happen, but with Punk being protected all along the way, getting him the pay out and spotlight he has worked his ass off for and deserves.

#143 ·

I've still no idea as what they hope to gain from having Cena pin The Rock. He's not going to suddenly be elevated to legendary status, he wont get more popular, it certainly wont create new viewers and fans of the product, if anything, it'll cause people to stop watching.
So, what exactly does Cena beating The Rock do for the company?

I'm not being argumentative or purposely antagonistic, I really don't see anything WWE would gain from it.

Reactions: Joe E Dangerously
#145 ·

I've still no idea as what they hope to gain from having Cena pin The Rock. He's not going to suddenly be elevated to legendary status, he wont get more popular, it certainly wont create new viewers and fans of the product, if anything, it'll cause people to stop watching.
So, what exactly does Cena beating The Rock do for the company?

I'm not being argumentative or purposely antagonistic, I really don't see anything WWE would gain from it.
Vince is getting his top guy his win back - simple as that. Cena is the THE guy that is with the company 365 days a year, and while Punk is getting up to that level, Cena is still the clear #1 and needs to be treated as such. I may not be the biggest fan of it, but it's what you do with your top babyface.

Cena had a "down year" in 2012, and this is the way of re-establishing Cena's position, giving the company momentum post Mania when Rock goes away again.

#228 ·
Fucking amazing match. Those two always put classic matches together. Glad there was no interference. Awful ending, but still MOTY candidate IMO.

Cena kicking out of the piledriver so quickly disgusted me though. Punk should've taken more time to cover him, just to sell the move a bit more.

#232 ·
Fucking amazing match. Those two always put classic matches together. Glad there was no interference. Awful ending, but still MOTY candidate IMO.
I'm sorry, you must've forgot the powerhouse that was Jericho vs Punk.

It didn't need 15 finishers and so many kicks out to look good.

It was short, fresh, and nice.

And it didn't include a HuriCAN'Ta from Cena.

#251 ·
Great match was great. People will hate because they like to hate on Punk/Cena, but that match was very good. **** for me and very close to being WWE's MOTY candidate. Also, the end wasn't just finisher, kickout, finisher, kickout... We got an awesome Flying Leg Drop/Elbow, Powerbomb, Piledriver, botched, but still funky Hurricanrana spot and Cena's first clean win over Punk.

There were just enough high risk spots and rest spots to build suspense. Cena/Punk matches always come off a bit sloppy, but there is also an aura to desperation about them, so it kind of works.

#415 · (Edited)
Cena's best RAW main event match since the Cena/HBK rematch after Wrestlemania 23 hands down. People complaining about Cena being a horrible worker can finally shut up now.

EDIT: The ONLY flaw I seen with the match is Michael Cole ruining the false finishes. First AA Cena gave, Cole was screaming "HE'S GOT HIM, HE'S GOT HIM" basically telling us that Punk kicks out. I wish he'd handle commentator psychology a bit better.

#422 ·
Cena's best RAW main event match since the Cena/HBK rematch after Wrestlemania 23 hands down. People complaining about Cena being a horrible worker can finally shut up now.

EDIT: The ONLY flaw I seen with the match is Michael Cole ruining the false finishes. First AA Cena gave, Cole was screaming "HE'S GOT HIM, HE'S GOT HIM" basically telling us that Punk kicks out. I wish he'd handle commentator psychology a bit better.
Nope because once again he was working with someone who knows how to carry an opponent, you mentioned Cena/HBK and we all know Michaels can make a broom stick look like a 5 star opponent. It was a great match but Cena has had a lot of bad when he's not matched up with Punk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.