Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#5,825 ·
Surely you know nobody who speaks German could be evil!

I'd actually pay to see Tim Henman as a snooty aristocrat who treats his opponents with disdain, asks to see official documentation and papers before playing anyone 'foreign' and who demands he have a platter of strawberries available in between games. He'd also scream 'BY JOVE' as opposed to 'COME ON' like the common folk.

#5,823 ·
"@nytimes"After 77 Years,Murray & England rule!"Imagine an American called Canadian or reverse. Cultured media? There needs 2 b a retraction."

"Named after the patron saint of Scotland,Andrew,much like myself, big @andy_murray gives a nation of 5 million something to be damn proud of"

Drew :)

#5,826 ·
Tennis needs more heels. Everyone's so fucking nice. Begging for a Janowicz to win a slam and cut a heel promo. Money.

I swear I heard Castle call Henman Hill Randy Terrace. Or maybe that was just me. GOATY commentary line today from Tim. "Has anyone ever actually seen a swan break someone's arm?" No, I don't believe they have Tim.

Serious question, that old guy in the black hat who sits in the top corner of the players box for every single match on center court. Who is he?

#5,829 ·
I predicted Murray to win it before the event even started. Should have put money on it damn it. Was surprised that he won in straight sets to be honest with you but he was playing great tennis on the day. Congrats to Murray!

I feel as though its the top 2 now instead of the top 4. Murray and Djoko are in their element at the moment and expect them to do very well in the US Open.

Hey sXe.

#5,830 · (Edited)
I hope Federer is able to get into the top 4 before the US Open cause him facing Djoko/Nadal/Murray in the quarters would suck, don't want him to get eliminated in the quarters again. I'm happy that he is playing the Swiss Open and Hamburg, winning these tournaments would build up his confidence and he can also try new stuff.

As for Federer winning another major, I don't think he will win another one but you never know with Fed, he could have run like in Wimbledon last year.

I still think Nadal is up there with them tbh, lets not forget, apart from Wimbledon, he's been great this year.

#5,836 ·
What happens if the Scots get independence ? :p

Anyway fairly strange Wimbledon this year. Fedal both losing early was a shock. The injury bug struck a lot of players, including Tsonga who has a good Wimbledon record. Janowicz making the semis as a result of Fedal going out early. Then, Murray winning the final in straights was a little shocking. Not that i was suprised he won, but in straight sets? That suprised me. Also, the fact that Verdasco was his biggest test

Azarenka got injured & went out early. Sharapova went out early again, but this time to some unknown. The overwhelming favourite, Serena was taken out in the 4th round by Lisicki who then continued that form to the final where she completely frooze on the big stage. & of course, Bartoli won the whole thing!!

Anyway it's onwards to the US Open series. From my perspective it's going to be an interesting one. Plenty of questions heading into it.

- Will JMDP continue his form & be a real threat at the US Open
- Can Tsonga recover from injury & continue a good year so far (bar Wimbledon)
- Can Brands continue to rise up the rankings
- Can Paire break top 20 or get close to?
- Can Kei Nishikori get close to top 10?
- Will Satn Wawrinka keep in the top 10?
- Will Llodra manage to stay relevent or disappear until Paris masters?
- How will Shvedova recover from injury?
- How Will Lisicki respond after the heartbreak?

& Generally...
- Will Bartoli continue that run of form into the US Open?
- How will the 'Big 3' in womens tennis respond after a poor Wimbledon?
- Can Murray defend his title?
- How will Djokovic respond?
- How will Nadal fare on hardcourts?
- Can Federer break back into the top 4? Will he be much of a factor at the US Open?
- Can Janowicz continue his momentum?

Questions that will be answered. Looking forward to it :D

#5,838 ·
2 of Murrays big title wins on grass have come after his final opponent played Del Potro in the semi finals.

Murray owes 50% of his Wimbledon & Olympics titles to Del Potro :troll

#5,840 ·
ROGER THAT will rise again and save tennis from boring players. Mark my words. But first, he needs to buy Agassi a lunch. Del Potro cannot be trusted, he's too injury prone. The clay tennis is already dead for 10 years now, we shall not give up on speedies, dammit!

#5,841 ·
Serena will be back with supreme vengeance in New York, same goes for Maria and Victoria. Sam Stosur might have a serious crack as well.

As for the men, Murray will use the confidence from Wimbledon to push for a title defence, Novak knows he'll need to lift his game to overcome Murray, and I'll never count Rafa or Fed out. The only intriguing part is whether the boring hack will get an 'easy' quarter to make a semi final again.

#5,845 ·
Nadal should be fine. He won IW, so obviously he can still do it on hard courts. I'll be suprised if he doesn't make the 2nd week of the US Open.

Right now, how would you rank the top 5 favourites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.