• Decent/Good :rock

Votes: 171 45.1%
  • Great :punk:rock3

Votes: 130 34.3%

Official The Rock vs. CM Punk Discussion Thread

823K views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  Nimbus 
#1 · (Edited)
wwe.com said:
Perhaps the parade was premature. Perhaps the celebrating, the humble tweets to The People and the legions of Team Bring It, and the proclamation that FINALLY, The Rock was WWE Champion once again jumped the gun by just a bit. Maybe, just maybe, The Rock put the horse before the cart when he celebrated his latest triumph on Raw Roulette, because CM Punk is not done with The Great One by a long shot.

How could he be, either? When a Superstar holds the WWE Title — Punk’s “life’s work,” in his own words — for 434 days spread across three calendar years, he does not just simply throw up his hands and call it a good run when the prize is taken from his clutches. So it was of no surprise when, during The Rock’s celebratory address to the WWE Universe as its new champion, The Straight Edge Superstar himself declared would be evoking his rematch clause – “granting” Rock a rematch was how he earned it – at Elimination Chamber. It was also of no surprise that The Rock gladly accepted.

But once again, maybe Rock is counting his proverbial chickens too early, because for all CM Punk’s feverish boasting in his final days as champion, he was right about one thing after the Royal Rumble: Hedidpin The Rock. It was one-two-three in the middle of the ring, although it took a sneak attack by who we can only assume was The Shield to weaken The Brahma Bull enough for Punk to make the pin. And it was only after Mr. McMahon restarted the bout that The Great One found enough of a second wind to silence CM Punk and put The Straight Edge Superstar to sleep, claiming his eighth WWE Championship in the process.

So at Elimination Chamber, the most brutal pit stop on The Road to WrestleMania, The Rock will face his own personal demon yet again. And The People’s Champion will have to be very, very careful, because CM Punk does not make the same mistake twice, and he is very, very angry. The very real opinion exists — depending whom you ask — that Punk should still be WWE Champion. And with it, the very real possibility exists — should The Rock think one victory equals winning the war — that The Brahma Bull’s parade could end as soon as it began and that CM Punk will be champion again, with history in his hands for the third time.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson said:
Over 100 years of Heavyweight Champions.

3 generations in my blood.

New WWE Champion.

My honor. TEAM BRING IT.

wwe.com said:
Attitude Era original Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson will compete in his first World Title match in more than a decade when he challenges WWE Champion CM Punk, the longest-reigning WWE Title holder of the past quarter-century, at Royal Rumble on Jan. 27.

The WWE Universe has anxiously awaited The Great One’s return to the WWE Title picture since he announced his championship opportunity on Raw 1,000 last July. Though there was no guarantee at the time whom The Rock’s opponent would be, the always-confident Punk fired an opening salvo that night, cutting down The Rock with a clothesline before knocking him out with a picture-perfect Go to Sleep. The following week, The Voice of the Voiceless defended his actions by suggesting The Great One, having been “gifted” a WWE Title match, viewed victory at the Royal Rumble as a foregone conclusion.

Whether a real or perceived slight, the implication that The Rock places himself on a higher plane than the current WWE Champion was seemingly all the motivation Punk needed to make sure he would still have the title on Jan. 27.

In the half-year since Raw 1,000, The Second City Saint stunned WWE fans by aligning with Paul Heyman and ratcheting up the vitriol of his speech. More important than either of those details, he has — by hook or by crook — maintained possession of the championship gold. Having turned back challenges by John Cena and Ryback in recent months, The Best in the World now looks ahead to testing himself against the seven-time former WWE Champion who vowed in 2012 to regain the title.

For The Rock, an A-list Hollywood action star and third-generation Superstar who has sports-entertainment coursing through his veins, the Royal Rumble title match represents the start of a potential career renaissance inside the ring. Since March 2004, The Most Electrifying Man in All of Entertainment has competed in only two sanctioned WWE matches, teaming with John Cena to shred The Awesome Truth (The Miz & R-Truth) at Survivor Series 2011 and overcoming the Cenation leader at WrestleMania XXVIII.

But by vying for the most treasured prize in sports-entertainment, The Rock is committing to more than another appearance as a “special attraction.” Rather, he is setting his eyes on again becoming WWE’s gold standard.

Hell-bent though The Rock may be on introducing a new generation of WWE fans to The People’s Champion, there is no discounting Punk’s deftness once the bell rings. Controversial endings to several high-profile title defenses may have tarnished The Second City Saint’s reputation in the eyes of some critics, but they have done nothing to change the fact the WWE Championship still sits around his waist. Before his seedier side came into focus in late summer, Punk spent much of 2012 disposing of WWE’s best and brightest, ranging from Chris Jericho and Daniel Bryan to Dolph Ziggler and Kane. How will the WWE Champion match up against one of the pillars of The Attitude Era?

As the WWE Universe excitedly counts down the days until Jan. 27, the back-and-forth between two of WWE’s most compelling talkers is bound to pick up steam. It will not be until the Royal Rumble, however, that the trash talk gives way to the gravity of a game-changing WWE Championship bout, the likes of which hasn’t seen in years. Will Royal Rumble mark the rebirth of a championship Brahma Bull, or will it only underscore what Punk has claimed all along, that he is untouchable and in a class by himself?
The Rock explains why he wants WWE Title

WWE part-time star The Rock revealed why re-capturing the WWE Title is important to him in a new interview with WWE Magazine. It's a statement that has been missing from WWE television leading up to the Royal Rumble PPV.

"It starts with recognizing what the WWE Championship represents to me," Rock said in the February 2013 issue. "Every time I hold that title over my head in victory, it not only signifies the fact that I have delivered the absolute best entertainment that I could to the WWE Universe, but that I'm taking a moment to live an experience that all the generations of wrestlers in my family strived to achieve.

Rock continued, "There is no other award that I could receive that's as deeply ingrained in my blood and history as the WWE Championship - and that's why it means so much to me."

At the same time, Rock said that after his first WWE Title reign - which came in 1998 - he decided that he would never allow his possession of or lack of the WWE Title define his career.

"After my first WWE Championship run came to an end, I made a conscious decision that night that I would work harder than any other Superstar in the locker room to become the type of WWE entertainer who, if I never had another championship run again, it would not define my career. I never wanted to rely on a title run for success."

Rock's next statement reflects his recent approach to mixing "entertainment" with "seriousness." Rock concluded, "My goal was to get to a place where I relied only on what I could bring to the table in terms of being entertaining and having a one-of-a-kind - and electrifying - connection with all of the WWE Universe."

[ FYI: Rock's interview is part of a cover-feature on Rock in the latest WWE Magazine. ]

Link - http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_68014.shtml

See less See more
9 2
#10 ·
Re: Official The Rock WWE Championship Match Discussion

Royal Rumble 2013
CM Punk (c) vs The Rock for the belt, Rock win

Cena win the Royal Rumble

Wrestlemania 29
The Rock (c) vs John Cena
That's basically how I see it.

Than Cena will win and will do the ceremonial handshake with The Rock.

#13 ·

Who gets the honor to job to The Rock in a big match at the main event of the second biggest PPV of the year? Should be interesting and I can't wait. Obviously Rock is going to beat Punk and get revenge but he can wrestle someone else at the PPV. Either way, Rock is going over clean and it's Rock/Cena 2 WM29. MAYBE, maybe, Rock/Brock for the belt or Brock attacks Rock or something before the Rumble. Still a chance. Thank You Rocky! for bringing back my love for this dying industry in the last few years. The GOAT and in a universe of his own.

Rock vs. Mae Young's Son

100 Trillion buys.
:lmao That was fucking awesome.

#7 ·

Royal Rumble 2013:

CM Punk (c) vs The Rock for the WWE Championship

The Rock goes over clean or by a Cena distraction.

Elimination Chamber:

John Cena wins Raw's EC match to become #1 Contender for the title at Wrestlemania 29. He claims he helped The Rock (in scenario B above) because he wanted The Rock for the championship and not CM Punk.

Wrestlemania 29:

The Rock (c) vs John Cena for the WWE Championship

John Cena finally turns heel to win the match and the title.

That would be my fantasy booking.

#16 · (Edited)

Royal Rumble 2013:

CM Punk (c) vs The Rock for the WWE Championship

The Rock goes over clean or by a Cena distraction.

Elimination Chamber:

John Cena wins Raw's EC match to become #1 Contender for the title at Wrestlemania 29. He claims he helped The Rock (in scenario B above) because he wanted The Rock for the championship and not CM Punk.

Wrestlemania 29:

The Rock (c) vs John Cena for the WWE Championship

John Cena finally turns heel to win the match and the title.

That would be my fantasy booking.
The only distraction I could see is Austin. After Punk has Rock laid out due to obvious heel tactics, either way Rock is defiantly winning, should be a great match. Other than that, that is pretty much how I see it. Good post

:lmao That was fucking awesome.
Throw in Mark "The Ratingz" Henry too as special Ref. Watch the buys SOAR! :shocked:

#12 ·

I think Rock is beat Lesnar at the Royal Rumble. I mean it would seem like he would turn his attention to the championship at some point.

dream scenario:

Royal Rumble:
The Rock vs Cm Punk - WWE Championship
- The Rock wins

but after that I don't know. Maybe Rock vs Lesnar at mania or Rock vs Cena 2.

#17 · (Edited)

Rock and the kids:

Hilarious to see Rock's "out of this world" superstar presence with all his god-gifted charisma standing there with them while they're looking in awe. So out of place lol.

The Rock's promo on Bryan was funny as hell. I love wrestling again. At least for a week. :rocky

Rock's INTENSE exchange with Big Show was also awesome.

#19 ·

I hope to god it's Rock vs. Punk.

The way I see it, Rock wins the championship at the Rumble but Cena DOESN'T win the Rumble. This way the Raw Chamber match can be a number one contenders match with the Rumble winner already deciding to go after the World Heavyweight Championship. Cena wins the chamber to become number one contender and we get Rock/Cena II at 'Mania.

#23 ·

Punk has to be involved with Rock at Rumble. You just don't have Punk turn heel by screwing the Rock and not let them settle it in a match. I'm all for Punk holding onto the title now, until the Rumble.
Punk loses the belt, Rock faces the champion at Rumble which is most likely to be John Cena and Punk wins the Rumble.. Rock/Punk at Wrestlemania.

#27 ·
Re: WM 29 Main Event Rock vs Cena II

huge chance of that , however there's a chance that might not be happening

anyone else thinks that Rock/Punk won't happen at the RR ? by then Punk would be a 14 month champion , I can't imagine the blow off of such a long title reign to be wasted like that

I'm a big Rock fan but it would be a dumb decision to waste a long run like that just to set the paste for Rock/Cena II

my perfect scenario is Rock to enter Mania a champion against CM Punk , Punks wins , both shake hand after the match and Punk is a face once again , i'm expecting his heel turn to be only temporarily

#30 ·

Can't see Rock facing Punk at Mania, Punk is not big enough. Although they do have Cena/Taker/Brock/Trips on the show too, and there will be a one on one (probably Taker vs Brock) out of them lot, so I guess that's alright and makes the match slightly more possible.

I see no reason why we can't have a Rock vs Punk match that is not for the belt, they can easily have Rock put his WWE Title quest or whatever on hold for a grudge match with Punk, could squeeze that in somewhere.

#42 ·

Austin could ref the match at Rumble and Punk get's annoyed with him and pushes Austin and Steve stuns him. Rock wins, goes into Mania as champ and Punk get's his match with Steve.
That is what I was thinking. The 2 feuds would put Punk way over than he is already.

#32 ·

No, I think Rock/Cena II will happen at the Rumble.

Ive got no idea ahead of that really, Rock/Punk is a possibility but I think its more likely to happen at WrestleMania with Punk going over.

CM Punk vs John Cena might be the main event at WrestleMania even, with Cena going over finally:(

#52 ·

No, I think Rock/Cena II will happen at the Rumble.

Ive got no idea ahead of that really, Rock/Punk is a possibility but I think its more likely to happen at WrestleMania with Punk going over.

CM Punk vs John Cena might be the main event at WrestleMania even, with Cena going over finally:(
The problem with that scenario is it puts Punk over Cena and there's no way in Hell that WWE would do that.

WWE would not job Cena out to the Rock twice.
WWE would not give Punk a Wrestlemania main event and have Cena in a meaningless match.

As for Cena v Punk for the WWE championship that puts Rock in no man's land and that won't happen eihter.

It's going to be Rock v Punk at Rumble
Rock v Cena 2 at Mania
Taker v Lesnar
and most likely Triple H v Punk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.