Wrestling Forum banner

Wrestler who you were shocked didn't make based on ability

4K views 38 replies 33 participants last post by  hardysno1fan 
#1 ·
PAUL BURCHILL was the man. He had a good look and he was awesome in the ring. I'm amazed the WWE dropped the ball on him and more so that TNA never signed the guy.

#5 ·
The Gold Standard Shelton Benjamin. When I see guys like Khali,Swagger and Miz who have been champ and Ryback who was around the title for months I dont get how they couldnt have done something for Shelton so he could main event. Of all the great athletes tosay and in the past I think Benjamin was the greatest, the guy had power,speed and agility. He woukd have been an awesome champion who coukd adapt to his opponents style.

#8 · (Edited)
If he A. Developed mic skills B. Fleshed out his gimmick & C. Became less of a spot monkey

Agree 100% on Shelton Benjamin. He was such an awesome ring worker. High-flying, speed, power, technique all rolled in one. His mic skills were nothing special but so what.
Guy just couldn't get that over enough to make it past the mid-card.

#11 ·
Ken Doane/Kenny Dykstra and Harry Smith spring to mind. Particularly annoyed about the latter, with a mouthpiece manager he had everything going for him, and they wasted him and broke up the new hart foundation for no reason!

RVD as well, man the guy was crazy over, especially in the invasion storyline... why it took him til 2006 to win the belt I will never know, and he lost it because of Pot? I mean really?

Booker T in WWE as well, there was such a void there after Rock and Stone Cold left, again he was crazy over, they had the chance to put the belt on him at wrestlemania x9 and run with him, but yet again they blew it by having triple h hold the belt for forever, when he just didn't need it to get over...

#18 ·
I'm not sure if the OP is asking about guys who didn't make it to the main event or guys who never got a chance to shine at all. If he's talking about the latter then I disagree with the Benjamin, Carlito, MVP and Morrison references. All of those guys had respectable and successful careers below the main event level. Not every one was built or chosen to be a headliner just because they were talented in the ring, on the microphone or had a memorable character. There are legends in this business who never held a World Title and based on the careers they had whether in quality matches, engaging promos, and memorable moments I would say they "made it."

A guy like Paul Burchill is a good example because the guy was extremely talented in the ring and he was trying his best to make something out of that pirate gimmick they gave him a few years back. Of course he even had a little stint as the generic, smug English heel as well. I agree they could have put more effort creatively in how they booked him because I'm sure with better writing he probably could have 'grabbed the brass ring' so to speak.

Wrestlers like Taz(z) and Raven were not booked properly at all either. The aura for those two characters had when Paul Heyman booked them in ECW was dead real quick in the Federation.

#20 ·
MVP, Kennedy, Christian if we're talking guys who deserved more.

Rick Rude had the ability to be WWE champion and while he had a good run and career on the whole I guess you could say he deserved more and I'm shocked that he didn't.

Barry Windham. They messed him up bad. For such a talented guy, eminent in wrestling history, WWE really screwed him over.

#21 ·
Carlito had the potential to be the biggest Latino star this side of Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio.

MVP had all the tools to be a main-eventer. Its a shame really, A feud between him & Cena would've been dope.

#22 ·
Benjamin, Morrison, MVP and now seems like Kofi as well.

Really sucks cause all those guys would have been great to have in main event. Especially Morrison. WWE wants divas with "the look" that appeals to guys, Morrison is like that but for the female audience. And he has in ring skills to back it up too. He'd be like a much better version of the 2008-2009 Jeff Hardy.

#23 ·
Too Cold Scorpio. IMO, WWE really dropped the ball with him. I'm not saying he was WWE Champion material but WWE could have did something better than making him Flash Funk or the least important member of the J.O.B. Squad. Hell, they could have used his anger of being labeled Flash Funk and made him a member of the Nation Of Domination.

Lance Storm. Totally underrated. Helluva worker but has the charisma of a doorknob, which pretty much cemented him never becoming more than he was.

Drug problems, a bad attitude and a whore of a girlfriend pretty much fucked Chris Candido over. So much potential and time wasted on Tammy that by the time he overcame his demons and was on the verge of a comeback, a freak accident ended his career and sadly, his life.

#24 ·
Bobby Lashley. He had the look, power, speed and agility, you could almost say he was the total package. Lashley and Benjamin had a great match.

Also Shelton Benjamin, he was very athletic and was a great in ring worker. He should have been given more then he got, and maybe his mic skills wasn't up to par with the best but with a little work and effort, that could of been worked on.

Also MVP. He screamed talent, had everything needed to main event.

#27 ·
Shelton Benjamin. Dude had "it". I say it all the time and I will say it again.

Guy was one of the greatest in ring performers I have ever seen and holds a spot in my book for favorite matches.. three, actually.

I thought he was the future. A WHC run after defeating the likes of HHH or Batista, but it never happened..

#31 ·
Wow, someone said Shelton Benjamin is charismatic. That was one of the most random statements ever. It's like saying Khali is a technician. You can say Benjamin is a suberb athlete, but he's clearly uncharismatic. You can blame the WWE, but when you spent 10 years in a company and your only attempt of having an unique look or gimmick is wearing golden trunks, you are unfortunately pathetic. And if the guy had charisma or personality it would have noticed.

Seriously. You can say Benjamin is a good wrestler but talking about how charismatic he was has only one name: blind love.

Also Bobby Lashley- no charisma and no presence despite his huge muscles. And John Morrison has no mic skills and marginal charisma. He cannot be the HBK of this era.

#33 ·
Shelton was far more over as a face, turning him heel really hurt him because he has an in ring ability that wants to be cheered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.