Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - MLB: ONE WEEK!

Thread: MLB: ONE WEEK!
View Single Post

Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2909 (permalink)
DesolationRow
A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us... --Franz Kafka

Location: In the Captain's Tower, Refereeing the Fight Between Ezra Pound & T.S. Eliot
DesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselvesDesolationRow has made a name for themselves
Default re: MLB: ONE WEEK!

FanFest was aaaaawwwwsssssooooommmmmmeeeeee!!!!!!!!

As soon as I neared AT&T Park, I felt this impulse to buy things like I never do. Outside, some guy hawking a team photo from San Francisco City Hall at the end of the civic event in 2012. "Buy your own photo, right here--" Me: "Shut up and take my money!" Buster Posey bobblehead for charity? Sure. Buy ridiculously priced tickets for the entire early May weekend series vs. the Dodgers? Oh hell yeah. Gimme those tickets to the pair of A's games at the end of May. I'll see the Phillies. I'll see the Dodgers in July again. Yadda, yadda. So much fun.

Nice to see guys like Ryan Vogelsong and Pablo Sandoval, Javier Lopez and Jeremy Affeldt, Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey. Great time. Very cool to walk around on AT&T Park, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I'm in disagreement with you. They did well. You're not getting the Justin Upton MVP, you're getting a guy who is widely regarded as overweight and not fully committed. Anytime you can get rid of a guy who has become cancerous to a ball club, you do it.
I don't know if I buy that he's at all cancerous to the ball club at all, really. But let's say that he is. Obviously some word is going to spread in every sport about how teams view their players. But Towers really muffed it with Upton. Upton's been worth 16.7 WAR in 580 games. He had a down year in 2012, but he's 25 years old and, so long as he shows any interest in self-improvement and conditioning, is set to hit his prime right now in these next four or five seasons. You ask for a king's ransom for that from another team, and I think Towers failed to do that. By dangling Upton on so many occasions and telegraphing just how poorly he and the club apparently thought of him, he continuously damaged his trading market and murdered a sizable chunk of his value. Duplicity and discretion are important characteristics in this game. Look at how Jon Daniels worked it in Texas back when he was wheeling and dealing to create a contender about five years ago, for but one example. The much-lauded "DVD trio" member Edinson Volquez was a pitcher whose worth and value was hyped by Texas, and they made it clear just how much they thought of him. Then here comes poor old Wayne Krivsky in Cincinnati and he trades Josh Hamilton to Texas for him. Daniels completely punked Atlanta with the Teixeira trade the year before at the deadline, too; between the 2007 draft, Latin American international signings and key trades like that one, the Rangers jumped to the #4 system in Baseball America 2008 organization rankings, which was the biggest the jump ever since Baseball America started ranking Major League farm systems.

I'm not saying that Upton in the 2012-2013 offseason market could net quite such a remarkable haul, but it could have been significantly better than it was for Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKOK View Post

TIMMEH

I haven't been keeping up on baseball but now since the football season is over i geuss i probably will pay closer attention, glad that the giants could get Romo under contract. Have they even tried to get a deal done with Wilson.
Just saw him in the flesh at GIANTS FanFest! He looks sort of strange now. Of course, he actually looked that way with the short hair when he was first called up in 2006. Good news is that he's gained about 10-15 pounds according to most reports, and he kind of looks it, so that is good.

As for Wilson, it's a bit... complicated. The Giants wisely non-tendered him at the end of November, seeing as how they would otherwise have to give him another $8.5 million contract for 2013 when he's probably not going to pitch at all in any games until mid-July if he's lucky, and he may never be anything close to being the pitcher he was after TJ surgery multiplied by two. Ever since then, Wilson's precious feelings got hurt and he was quite chilly toward Sabean attempting to sign him to a very modest one-year deal with a load of incentives so he could reestablish his worth and remain a useful Giant (since he does mean a lot to the team in terms of marketing and publicity, and consequently the team's fans). At this point, Bochy says the door is still open, and maybe in the end Wilson will sign some deal for a year or two at a very modest price because of his post-second TJ surgery. But Wilson fielded a bunch of minor offers from several clubs, and pitched a bullpen session for the extremely curious New York Mets back about a month ago. Unfortunately for Wilson, though, the Mets scouts and officials were all "lol no" in reaction to the session, and Wilson's value has hit almost rock bottom in the last few weeks as a result. I doubt anyone is looking into him at this point.

This story covers it well... And I love how Sabean, when asked about Theriot, says, "We've lost contact," like he's an alien being in outer space or some adventerur out on some odyssey in a South American jungle or something... http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci...reliever-brian