Wrestling Forum banner

Hulk Hogan talks TNA's business strategy

4K views 55 replies 30 participants last post by  DAFUQ 
#1 · (Edited)
It’s either hold ’em or fold ’em. You’re either in the wrestling business or not. Is Dixie Carter really in the wrestling business, or this is just a hobby? You either make the move or you don’t.

You’re at that point now. It’s the same place we were with WCW – you either run with the big dogs or be a little dog and stay on the porch.

The destiny of this company is in her hands. It can stay TNA, a powerful little company, or she can make the decision to move on to greatness.

To limit to four major PPVs will give us a chance to make the wrestlers more important to give the fans a chance to choose who they love. I think it gives you a chance to sink your teeth into the characters and the company.

Source: Daily Star

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Hulk Hogan: "It's now or never for TNA"

lolno.

if anything they shouldn't rush what they're doing. They aren't exactly going to blow up overnight regardless of what they do. They're doing all the right things this year though (PPVs, leaving the IZ). Now or never seems like poor wording.

#4 ·

I really wish Hogan would stop making these WCW and TNA comparisons.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with TNA staying as a little powerful company. They have a loyal fanbase and continue to put out some solid shows so it's really nothing wrong with staying as a little powerful company that has a loyal fanbase that enjoy's their product. Like Shepard said, they shouldn't rush what they are doing just to compete with the "big dogs". Hogan should understand by now that greatness doesn't happen overnight, especially during the TNA vs Raw Monday Night Wars fiasco back in 2010.

#28 · (Edited)

I really wish Hogan would stop making these WCW and TNA comparisons.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with TNA staying as a little powerful company. They have a loyal fanbase and continue to put out some solid shows so it's really nothing wrong with staying as a little powerful company that has a loyal fanbase that enjoy's their product. Like Shepard said, they shouldn't rush what they are doing just to compete with the "big dogs". Hogan should understand by now that greatness doesn't happen overnight, especially during the TNA vs Raw Monday Night Wars fiasco back in 2010.
If they expand and are successful at it, wonderful, but what you say is SO TRUE, and what I've been saying ad nauseum is that some people cannot let TNA stand on its own and not compare it to anything else, which people tend to do even if it's only subconsciously. For some people, if they're not trying to compete with WWE (whether they admit that's what they mean/feel or not) then they're dismissible a la "They will never beat WWE" (which I don't believe for a second). So many times people have used the word "legitimate" about TNA's changes. How were they not legitimate before is what boggles my mind. Let's not fool ourselves here: "legitimate" means having what WWE has or close to it, because if that was not an issue then those people would think TNA was already legitimate. I've thought they're legit in the Impact Zone, and the crappiness of the crowd - which can happen and does happen in any promotion - didn't take away from that. The size didn't; the IZ sets didn't; the dang rope colors and turnbuckle logos didn't. Change all of it, okay, that's good, but they were still a wrestling company before they did.

So while I see where Hulk is coming from, while I have faith that TNA could become as big as or bigger than WWE, I identify with your statement. It is the nature of man to compete, so this is natural progression, but what is "natural" is not always what is meant. We'll find out one way or the other. But that WWE has to be the measuring stick to which TNA has to hold it self up is regrettable in my view, because they've had so much going for them by being different. I want them to grow and prosper, but if they start over producing and changing the target audience for their product then I won't have either show to watch. I don't fear their failure at all; I fear them becoming like WWE is today, which would mean the end of everything I came to love them for. That, too, is natural progression for a company that wants to maximize its results: appeal to families. Nothing wrong with that; the most money is in that, but that means the product has to change. So I say again, I want them to grow; I just don't want them to change (as in their content, the way they do promos, etc.) I want TNA to win, but at their own game. No need to look over WWE's shoulder. They should know how to do things by now. I think they do.

#9 · (Edited)
This was actually pretty well said. Their fan base is large enough to take a big step and try to make it grow (Seriously doubt an increase if they continued the way they were, its been the same for years) so this is an appropriate time to take a chance

Besides, names like Hardy, Angle and Hogan won't be around in 5 years most likely so why wait? They can bring extra exposure, leading to those new to TNA possibly getting invested in the other guys, like Roode, Aries, Storm etc

#10 ·
This was actually pretty well said. Their fan base is large enough to take a big step and try to make it grow (Seriously doubt an increase if they continued the way they were, its been the same for years) so this is an appropriate time to take a chance
Yeah, reducing the PPV amount, going live as often as possible and going on the road are all things fans have wanted, so maybe they'll start to show some increase in the ratings after they leave the IZ (as I could see some fans that stopped watching giving it a second chance now that they'll have a bigger arena feel with the show, and I could see others who haven't ever seen it giving it a chance for the first time for similar reasons)....

#12 ·
Nothing new here, just hype.

#18 ·
Why on earth are people having a pop at Hogan here when he is talking complete sense?

TNA at some point have to take a gamble, you dont grow without taking risks. Why should they be happy just to stay where they are?

Just because WWE exist doesnt mean TNA cant get bigger, maybe never WWE size, but they can certainly be bigger than they currently are.

#19 ·
they will never gonna compete with WWE and i mean NEVER. The machine, the monster known as WWE are too big for someone to compete with them ever again in the wrestling business. Wrestling = WWE for many many people. WWE from a business standpoint is 10, 100, 1000 times bigger than they were in 2000.

#20 ·
I dont care what business aspect your talking about. Business in wrestling is asses in the seats. Asses in the seats have dropped for wwe since 2000. They are in smaller arenas. People are delusional just because its the biggest companie.Doesnt mean it cant fall behind. They are falling right now. They are keep the level they are by bringing back guys like the rock and other last generation stars.

Like i said Its about asses in the seats. Impact wrestling is smaller but it will come. WWE is not the machine it was in 2000. You can have all the business and power behind the scenes. Its not going to last if you dont have Wrestlers that draw the brand.People are getting bored of whats happening on the roster.

Considering the size of this so called company. The ratings are not even that drastically higher then impact wrestling. They get boosts when say rock comes back.

Just if you do comparison to what they did back then.

#25 ·
I do agree that they shouldn't be focused on WWE. Just focus on building their own product. That may just be Hogan wanting to compete with Vince though.

What they should learn from WCW is that when WCW was so determined to compete with WWF/E in its last few years, they spent their way to being bought out by the competition.

Slow and steady wins the race. The positive about them trying to go up against WWE a couple years ago was that they found out that they are no where near to the level as WWE.

Going on the road more and more will help and cutting down on PPVs was a great idea. That part I do agree with Hogan.

#26 ·
At least it seems Hogan has learned a lesson from his WCW days. Before when he used to go on Mancow or Bubba the Love Sponge he would tear down everyone and say WCW only made money because of him. Now he is admitting that the game has changed quite a bit and even giving props to the newer guys. Good baby steps Hogan.

#29 ·
Fucks sake. I'm afraid I'm going to have to use caps here:

THEY ARE NOT 'TRYING' TO BE AS BIG/BIGGER THAN WWE, THEY ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO GROW YOU FUCKWITS.

Jesus wept. Everybody knows they are likely never, ever going to be anywhere near as big as WWE are, but that doesn't mean they cant be bigger than they (TNA) CURRENTLY are.

Its called 'business'. You look to grow at every single opportunity you have. Just because they will never be as big as WWE doesn't mean they are not allowed to aim for bigger things.

#36 ·
It's funny how in 2013 people still go bananas for whatever hogan says.

#38 ·
Note, only if the ratings improved. If the demand was there, they would be foolish not to go into a prime time position on Monday nights. That would be the only way to dethrone the WWE. And that won't happen ANYTIME soon. I'm just saying that if they dominate Thursday and ratings warrant the move, they could try it again and see if the fanbase follows them.

I would love to see a ratings war again. I know it's not feasible or likely. But all in all, TNA would have to tackle Monday nights eventually or they'd never be able to damage the WWE. WWE doesn't even have programming on Thursday so this has absolutely no affect on them at the moment.

#39 ·
This thread is actually ridiculous.

TNA are doing what the so called 'IWC' have been calling for for years, and they are getting criticism for it. Hogan is saying what people on here have wanted TNA to say for years, and he is getting criticism for it.

Incredible. The idiocy of wrestling fans never ceases to amaze me.

#42 ·
TNA needed to do this at some point or another. It's not about trying to overtake WWE. It's simply about growing to another level than they currently are. If TNA were to stay in the Impact Zone, things were not going to change. It really wouldn't matter if they took the decision to do it in 2013 or 2018, because if they were still in the Impact Zone by then they would not have grown. They couldn't just sit their asses in Orlando and expect that when they tour they're going to sell out. That's not gonna happen no matter how good the product is.

#44 ·
what hogan says is correct
they should compete with wwe when its bad quality
if they cant beat the wwe in the pg era..then they have no chance in the future

#45 ·
Completely incorrect on so many levels.

Should an independent Dracula film try to compete with Twilight? Hell fucking no, because Twilight still has a much better fan base of fucking idiots than Dracula does, some people just like stupid stuff, WWE is much much bigger now and they tried to feud with WWE like a bunch of idiots that overestimated their glory, guess where that got them? NOWHERE BUT PUBLICLY EMBARRASSED BECAUSE THEY LOST.

#47 ·
HURR HURR WHY TALK ABOUT WRESTLING WHEN WE CAN CALL TWILIGHT GAY HURRRR

Shut up

Reactions: Cliffy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.