Wrestling Forum banner

The Over 30 year old WWE fan thread

10K views 121 replies 52 participants last post by  Juggernaut Reigns 
#1 ·
Hoping to chat to some like-minded over 30 year old fans of WWE in here.

Are there even any out there? :)

Well, these days I take the WWE for what it is - kid's entertainment that I enjoy. I enjoy the new TMNT cartoon too - and that is geared towards kids - so, it's all cool.

I think the difference between now and 5 years ago is that when a show does not go exactly as I want, or a star is not booked correctly, I don't feel shafted in my personal capacity any more - I just take it for what it is -->> a wrestling based entertainment show, not the end of the world...

I do find myself enjoying the underdogs though - and the pushed faces and heels for the most part hold no interest for me. Guys like Bryan, Ryder, Sandow, Ambrose, Cesaro keep me coming back for more - while the Cena's Sheamus' and Punks are only an afterthought unless they really perform - like Punk has the last 3 weeks or so.

Do the rest of the over 30s feel the same way? A sort of nonchalant interest in the show, while rooting for your favs - and just enjoying it for what it is?

Or are you still passionately supporting and have knee-jerk reactions to booking, burials, backstage segments and so on? (nothing wrong with it)

I hope we can come here and chat each week about the Raw past

PS> I enjoyed Raw last night - skipped past Wade/Orton - Meh'd the Shield / 3 Heroes fight - loved the Ryback / Cesaro match (although, Ryback really looked tired afterwards - gotta look at that cardio) and was mildly interested in Swagger and somewhat in Bryan's new antics (embrace the 'Yes' Bryan!)

PPS> I am sure under 30's can comment - but I hope we can at the very least keep this civilised...

See less See more
#25 · (Edited)
Personally I'm a huge supporter of PPV's returning to the big 4 a year only model.

My first memory of watching a PPV was Summerslam 1990, Sky Television had only just been introduced to the UK a year earlier so we never got WWE in the UK before that time. Back then you never had to pay for PPV's in the UK and for some reason they were never shown on the Sports channels but on the Sky Movies channel.

My neighbours were also big wrestling fans and we'd be excited all week leading up to the PPV's. If there was 12 a year back then I think the novelty would have worn off quickly.

I suppose that's just one tiny facet of what's changed. Back then we had to wait for PPV's to see Superstars actually wrestle each other. I remember watching Wrestling Challenge and Superstars religiously.

Good times.

Edit: Just found this for any UK fans:

#26 · (Edited)
Nice to see some other 'older' fans about. I'm 35 myself and started watching in 83.

I still find myself very passionate about the business but I don't take things personally either. Doesn't matter if my guys win or not, I tend to be workrate or character oriented and have an understanding of why things are done certain ways for certain purposes. As others have stated, the constantly shifting landscape has become common place and I've developed an appreciation for the campy nature of the product (sometimes bad booking, botches and blunders provide great entertainment).

It's fucking 'pro-wrestling' and I love it, but it's 'pro-wrestling'.

My children have probably been subjected to more wrestling footage than most people will see in their entire lives, but my daughter isn't interested and my youngest is too young to understand. My seven-year-old son on the other hand has only recently started taking an active interest in watching the product with me.
I have no problem with the modern product as it's geared to everyone, both adults and kids. Have even taken to showing my son some vintage stuff including AE and ECW but I'm also very liberal in that way and take the time to explain things to him as we watch.

Edit: I'd just like to add that sometimes being a contributing member of this forum can be difficult as an actual adult wading through a pool of often petulantly posting pre-teens.

#35 ·
Nice to see some other 'older' fans about. I'm 35 myself and started watching in 83.

I still find myself very passionate about the business but I don't take things personally either. Doesn't matter if my guys win or not, I tend to be workrate or character oriented and have an understanding of why things are done certain ways for certain purposes. As others have stated, the constantly shifting landscape has become common place and I've developed an appreciation for the campy nature of the product (sometimes bad booking, botches and blunders provide great entertainment).

It's fucking 'pro-wrestling' and I love it, but it's 'pro-wrestling'.

My children have probably been subjected to more wrestling footage than most people will see in their entire lives, but my daughter isn't interested and my youngest is too young to understand. My seven-year-old son on the other hand has only recently started taking an active interest in watching the product with me.
I have no problem with the modern product as it's geared to everyone, both adults and kids. Have even taken to showing my son some vintage stuff including AE and ECW but I'm also very liberal in that way and take the time to explain things to him as we watch.

Edit: I'd just like to add that sometimes being a contributing member of this forum can be difficult as an actual adult wading through a pool of often petulantly posting pre-teens.
I feel you on that last point - it is sometimes hard to remember we are not always chatting to age-peers. (note, I said age - I know age does not = mental maturity as I see a lot of posters on here below 30 with some real insight)

this doesn't even feel like a proper thread as no-one say 'you are teh suxxorz' yet :)

What did your son think of the AE stuff? who did he like?

#27 ·
I'm 32 and I skip through most matches these days. The show just really doesn't keep my attention like it used to, maybe because it usually sucks or just because I am getting old. Right now, Punk/Heyman/Bryan/Shield/Sandow is pretty much it for me these days. And I don't really want the Attitude Era back like some, just a better show.

#31 ·
It seems a lot of is are like-minded - which is nice to see for a change.

We don't mind PG - but also would not be against a better show within that framework

I equate this to the current TMNT show I mentioned in my original Post - if you have ever watched that, it is undoubtedly a kids' show - but the humour is razor sharp, the action is great and the storylines well written - All Ages

Or take Avatar as an example - great action, great story, well written - all ages kids' show

Like most of you - I think it is the poopy jokes that get to me - but in opposite to that I think we can agree that Sandow, Shield, Cesaro and a few others deliver something different from the norm - which is a good thing.

I am interested to hear what the posters on here think of Ryback - since he gets a lot of flack most elsewhere on this board.

I kind of enjoy him - 70% positive and 30% negative only because of his lack of cardio. But I think he is ok on the mike and passable in the ring.

PS> I am 33 by the way (HA! had to ask my wife how old I am - the mind is going - too much beer in my 20s)

#43 ·
I am interested to hear what the posters on here think of Ryback - since he gets a lot of flack most elsewhere on this board.

I kind of enjoy him - 70% positive and 30% negative only because of his lack of cardio. But I think he is ok on the mike and passable in the ring.
Ryback's ok. Not a skilled wrestler by any means, but he does a decent job with the gimmick. It may have been done by Goldberg who did it better, but that was done by Nikita before who did it even better, which was done before by ____ and etc...

#36 ·
I'm approaching 30. Not quite there yet!

I suppose my kids are to thank (or blame!), for me getting back into watching wrestling. They started getting into it in 2010 when the Nexus angle had just started. Then it was a case of " oh you're watching wrestling? I used to watch that. It was called WWF back then though".

I sat down and watched it one day with them and really enjoyed it. Very different to the last time I watched it, which was around 2000. The PG format didn't really bother me as I was watching it with my kids and had seen it all before anyway. When I'd watched Hogan, Warrior, Savage etc, it had been kid friendly.

#37 ·
Another 30+ here. my dad starting taking me to about 2 house shows a month right after Wrestlemania 3 so I have been a fan for a long time. Started off great with that kid amazement of the spectacle. Early 20's for the Monday night wars, Attitude era, and ECW and I think we just got spoiled during that time. Wrestling was awesome. Now I take it for what it is, entertainment. Not so much the super fan any more. Will usually at least catch the PPVs and odd RAW here and there depending on whats happening. There are things I love and absolutely hate in the current product. The rise of Punk and Bryan has been nice but the Cenas(present day), Hornswoggle, and Brodus Clay are just straight embarrassing to watch. If my girl walks in on any of those segments and asks me why I watch that crap I have to search for an answer. She never comes in when something awesome is happening. But the again she watches real housewives so my ass is always at the ready for her to kiss. But alas I am attending my first Wrestlemania this year and am beyond stoked. I've been through some turns in the business and always hope it will turn back on the up again.

#39 ·
I'll be 30 next month. I don't need the AE era back, either. But as others have said, I think there is a happy medium between where the product is now and the AE. I don't see why they can't delve into that area alittle bit more. I'd be perfectly fine with the Ruthless Aggression era type of content. It just seems alittle too "kidd-ish", over-produced, and too clean, as well. These are all fixable things, but it doesn't seem like they have much interest in changing things up at least a little bit and that's a shame. Because WWE is stale at the moment.

#44 ·
30 here!

Been a fan since I was 4 years old, 1986, watching the WWF with my Dad and older brothers. Watched ever since.

Had breaks in between, but otherwise I've always been a fan. I think my biggest break was between 2003 and 2008, where I barely ever watched. I caught up on YouTube a few years ago so I'm aware of that era now, but I didn't watch it while it was on.

I thoroughly enjoyed the characters of the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. All era's had something special about them.

#45 ·
I have gotten in to the PG argument plenty of times before, but, anyway, for the billionth time, the show's rating is NOT why it sucks. The writing is fucking garbage. Absolute fucking garbage.

I am guessing the ones claiming to be 30+ years of age started watching wrestling at a later age because anyone who started watching it in the 80's/90's (before Attitude Era) would know the product was mostly geared towards kids (especially in the 80's with Hogan). 80's wrestling is the best fucking wrestling ever. It didn't matter about the rating, it was because the storylines were awesome, the characters were original, wrestling was just better in general. Now, you get some guys that stand out, but, the majority are just another generic fuck in tights. It's like the company got lazy and stopped all efforts to be interesting, for the most part.

Forget the rating, it has very little at all to do with the current shittyness of the product. Get better fucking writers because the ones now are trash. IMO, part of the reason is because Vince has no competition. If you have no competition, you rest easy and get lazy because no one is on your ass. If Vince had someone to contend with (TNA and ROH don't count because both are fucking shit), he might try a little harder to get his writing team to create some good shit or get the fuck out so he can get a new team of writers.

#46 ·
You are 100% correct. Wrestling in the 80's was great. Yeah it had lame characters too but many great ones plus a great tag team division, strong mid card, the intercontinental title had meaning, and big time main events. And the big time main events were saved for PPV or Saturday Nights Main Event(which was awesome back then)instead of being thrown up on TV every Monday night, so it meant more. Intense rivalries occurred all the time. Not this hey lets trade wins just because for a month. It was never a bloodfest but it would happen when it counted. The product doesn't need to be dumbed down this much. It isn't a fucking ticklefest, it's wrestling.

#47 · (Edited)
Shoot. That old show Prime Time Wrestling show on USA back in the day with Heenan and Monsoon was great. Just great matches from all around the country. And if the champ was on TV, something big was going on. I always liked the interviews out on a podium by the audience. Many a great promo cut and feud started there. Same goes for that little stage they used to shoot the Saturday night TBS show at. Between WWF and NWA which I started watching first there were ton of great matches. The tag titles were held in high regard then. Hell, Crockett had a tag team tournament as a big attraction. They could have a Survivor Series with 10 great to decent quality teams. I do miss how it used to be. It didn't seem so produced if that makes sense.

#51 ·
I remember reading about Ric Flair in the late 80's/early 90's. By than I had just discovered who he was, despite him being a top star in the Southern territories for years, decades even. But I was always a true WWF guy, I just had such a connection at a young age to some of those over the top characters. Bush Whackers, Jim Duggan, Ted Dibiase (his promo's and vignettes were the best!), Berserker, Kamala, Hart Foundation, Rockers, Jake Roberts, Brutus the Barber Beefcake, early scary Taker with Paul Bearer, the Legion of Doom, Roddy Piper, the Model Rick Martel, Texas Tornado, El Matador Tito Santana, Hercules, Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Srgnt. Slaughter, Miss Elizabeth being as the first lady of wrestling, Vince on commentary, Heenan and Monsoon, Mr. Perfect, Sean Mooney, Mean Gene, the list goes on and on. Years later, I still remember those names and a vivid memory pops up every time I think of them. I had no idea who Flair was until he came to the WWF. I heard about how he wasn't the same in the Federation, he was watered down, not over with the crowd, and it was true, the WWF fans never truly embraced him during his short early 90's run with the company. At least the majority didn't. When he left, he didn't burn bridges, and now is widely considered a WWF legend. They've made stars for years and continue doing so, the WWE machine is sheer brilliance and its dominance on the industry and world as a whole is not to be overlooked.

The 80's and early 90's for me was the best period because lets be honest, at the time, a lot of folks still questioned whether or not it was real! You could suspend disbelief for a moment and get caught up in the wacky world of the WWF, even through the duds and missteps, you always knew that in the end your favorite hero would prevail. That's the thing, the difference than and now is that the hero's they created were much more revered to the talent of today. People point to the Attitude Era as the defining and shining moment of wrestling, but I happen to think that along with the great that came from it is a bit of responsibility for exposing the business and setting the sensationalism bar way too high to ever re-create. The WWF buried the business the moment it screwed Bret Hart, and some would argue even before that with some of the "real life" promo's that were being shot in 97. In terms of the late 90's, 97 still is my favorite year. Only because I was a Hart Foundation mark and enjoyed their feuds with the likes of the Nation of Domination and DX. I always found it interesting that 3 heel factions were feuding at the time. You'll never see that duplicated again. That was a year in WWF history that set the stone for the AE.

I switched ever so rarely to WCW to see what was going on, but deep down, I was always a WWF guy first and foremost. Hadn't much cared for Nitro except for a few spurts after the nWo was created. Otherwise, even during the down mid 90's, I still watched some boring ass Raw's every Monday night. There were times where you wouldn't necessarily see it on TV, but you could sense the arena's were half empty. The noise level was just so low that no dark lighting could hide it. But I still watched, because seeing Doink the Clown, Lex Luger, Razor Ramon, Diesel, Shawn, Bret, Owen, Yokozuna, Taker, etc., was still great TV for me. I was still fairly young at the time. By the time my teens came around, I grew with the product, which is why at 15-18 years of age, the WWF AE was more suited for a kid my age. There wasn't the same advent of the internet back then (can't count AOL 3.0 chat rooms and punting people using progz), so it wasn't as prevalent to watch sex, violence and vulgarity online anytime I want to. You had Springer and a few other talk shows like Jenny Jones and Maury, but otherwise, the WWF really changed with the times when they went balls to the wall in the late 90's.

Now looking back, it's all just classic wrestling that at one point, had a place in history. Despite the fact that people call these the "down years", in so many words, there's still some special matches that have taken place and will continue to take place so long as the WWE realizes the importance of match quality. Despite the flack that the WWE gets for their "lack" of wrestling, the PPV's are still unmatched in terms of what the superstars bring to the table. You can rest assured knowing that Jericho, Punk, Bryan, or even Cena, will bring it in a big time match. They know the history, they know what they're up against, and trust me, these guys hear the comparisons and obviously want to create their own history so one day people will speak of them as we sit here and speak of the stars that we enjoyed in the 80's and 90's. The product may not be as risky as it was 15 years ago, but remember, the same things that shocked people than, don't necessarily shock people now. The WWE went the "shocking" route in 2006 and it didn't do much for them. I enjoy the product regardless and will continue to support them if only because they've brought me so much entertainment throughout my life that I can't help but continue to give them the benefit of the doubt.

#52 ·
I grew up watching WWF in the early 80's and though I got out of it for a while when I became a teen, I came back again to watch it in the late 90's and never stopped. There is kind of a lull now, but things will get better. Hopefully TNA can keep improving, and with competition comes a better product. One way or another, I will continue to watch.

I am 41 yrs old, and my 12 yr old son is really getting into it. He has so many wrestling figures, and he even writes his own storylines for them for when he plays with them! At a time in his life when he is becoming a teenager, instead of drifting away from his old man, we are finding something in common that we can enjoy together. When we watch the shows, we do it as a family, and even my wife watches. Her dad always watched, and my brother-in-law does as well. WWE helps keep family gatherings from getting too boring for us. Hell, her family is all hillbilly white trash. If we didn't talk wrestling, we would spend the time in her parents home watching the Game Show Network. And I ain't lying about that. Thank God for WWE...

#53 ·
So, what did all the over 30s think of Raw last night?

For me, I enjoyed the Heyman / Punk promo in the beginning - Heyman just keeps on bringing it. (loved the Heyman, Vicks bit too)

Loved the Bryan / Jericho match - feud please!

Skipped past Big Shows no talkie bit

Skipped past Miz / Cody match until Cesaro played human pinball with Miz which was awesome.

Had a grim fascination with Brodus / Tensai and Fandango promos - i actually like the team from planet Japanese Funk... For some reason...

Skipped Ziggles / Kane as I Am just not interested in either at the moment

Skipped ADRs bit

Loved the Swag/Ryder match - and at the end there wondered -->> are the ACTUALLY going for a white supremacist gimmick here? Bold! Even bolder for Teddy and Bookah not to bat an eyelid at thta promo and just mentioned how much Jack impressed them.

Meh'd at the Super Friends beating 3MB - but enjoyed 3MBs antics

Loved Shield promo - no way they getting buried come Sunday

Meh'd Rock / Cena end - but I kind of liked the story I suppose.

What did you guys think?

Overall, I was entertained. 7/10

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#66 ·
Good and bad last night. I enjoyed it because it was more of a hype for the ppv show and it did the old schol everyone vs jobbers show like TNT and NWA Saturday Night. Plus we were treated to Jericho vs Bryan and Ziggler vs Kane. The rest of the show reminded me of the 80s shows where the big names faced a bunch of jobbers. I actually even liked the Cena/Shaemus/Ryback vs 3MB job last night.

#54 ·
I watched Hulkamania as a kid and WWE Attitude Era and Monday Night Wars in my teens
the 3 most successful "eras" in wrestling history

So I respect CHARACTERS and STORYLINES in wrestling
I also respect BIG MEN because SIZE MATTERS, such greats as Andre the Giant built this great sport

Unfortunately many new fans tend to favor so called "in ring" work over personality, and so we have garbage like Benoit and Daniel Bryan pushed to World title status
something which did not happen in the past where you actually had to get over before you won the title (in most cases)

As an old time wrestling fan I hate the new focus on vanilla midgets the young smarks seem to love

#56 ·
I feel similar, as I've gotten patient at seeing this generation moulded in front of my eyes as the last one did too.

I grew up with Hogan, Piper, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man etc as I'm sure you probably did unless you are older.

Today I think Punk is great, Daniel Bryan is kind of an aquired taste, Ziggler is coming on and some more up and comings, Ambrose, Rollins ect are now on the scene from FCW, NXT.

I am a Big fan of Mcintyre, as I'm from Scotland, and never got to see Piper win the WWE title( yes I know he's Canadian..lol...I was young!), so I'm closely following Mcintyre after his Chosen One apperance in 2009, and what a rollercoaster ride it has been. Even though that was a tall order and was a big task for a nobody I thought he done rather well, now he's in 3MB....Oh man help me lord...:p so I think the journey I've watched from this young lad and the recently passing of his mother to cancer, I'm rooting for him more than ever to pick up the WHC, even if it is for a Swagger length of time...lol. Just to see it happen would be fantastic, but wether or not he gets a decent gimmick or gets more over is another thing as some people just plainly can't stand him.

The product is good, can be better, but it's always for the kids mainly(ahem...attitude era...lol) but I think the future looks bright just now, and would love to see Mcintyre get that gold, but for now it's Punk to the rescue!

#57 ·
Man, I love Scotland - Edinburgh is one of my Fav cities in the world. I think Mcintyre will still break out at some point - being in 3MB got him to loosen up a it, which is a good thing.

Did you see he was the only one that really got any offence in on the Super Friends last night?

#63 ·
Yeah, 30 year old fan here. Been watching it for 22 years. Really miss the good old days of wrestling. The 1992-1997 eras are under-rated around here. Wrestling, like a lot of other things, was so much better back then.

#67 ·
Despite my previous comment about the good things on Raw, the product has more of an SNL feel to it than a wrestling show. I like feuds, story, comedy, and promosin wrestling, but if it's going to be dumbed down, make it feel more like Memphis rather than Saturday Night Live. Promos aren't promos anymore, they are SNL skits (with the exception of Punk, Cesaro, and... Maybe Ziggler?). Attitude Era is over. Go back to the backstage 2 minute promos and focus on the titles. I hate how the IWC hates on all aspects of wrestling, but at times I feel the need to complain about some things too.

#72 ·
Yes you are very similar to me, I recently turned 30 & have a similiar attitude to the busyness. I am however a huge Punk fan, follow most of the names you've mentioned atm & do get hyped for Wrestlemania & Royal Rumble PPVs - Occasionly if its a significant Raw I may stay up to watch (Raw 1000th) (I'm from the UK)

#75 ·
What did you guys think of EC?

Mine are:

1. Reigns impressed the hell out of me - now I am sold on the whole Shield
2. I think we are heading for Cena vs. Ryback (obvious)
3. Del Rio / Big Show + Diva's match + Ziggy Kofi were all forwarded - except Big E's beatdown
4. I was too tired to appreciate Rock / Punk for what it tried to be - was left underwhelmed as a result
5. I have a morbid fascination with Brodus / Tensai team - what the funk!
6. Loved Swagger, Henry in the cage last night
7. I am now a fan of the 'Champion' song used in Rock / Punk promo

On a related note, I just descovered Robert deLong - give his new song a listen

EC was 7/10 IMO

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.