Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Santino Marella Has Returned!

View Single Post

Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MusculosoBarbaro
Learning to break kayfabe

MusculosoBarbaro 101 - 250MusculosoBarbaro 101 - 250MusculosoBarbaro 101 - 250
Default Re: What happened to Santino Marella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
He's been a comedy character from day 1 in WWE. I don't remember his debut well, I know he won the IC title from Umaga when Lashley kicked Umaga's ass, and he was a plant in the crowd, but if there was no signs of comedy during that night, it was probably just because it was the appropriate way to introduce him, a heartfelt story for his so called "home country" crowd. The comedy started immediately thereafter, with him just being a bumbling idiot. He's been a goofball for years, this wasn't a random change like Tensai where he just becomes a comedy babyface out of nowhere.

The Russian MMA gimmick, Boris Alexiev probably would've given him a higher ceiling (as there's not much of a ceiling lower than Santino Marella), but Vince refused to use the gimmick because Heyman came up with it and they've had an on and off working relationship for years.
Bummer. Well I guess I feel better knowing he's been the goofball since day one and it wasn't some sort of repackage. I do wanna see more Boris Alexievs in the business though. Scary Russians are always a good call in my book.