Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - The Over 30 year old WWE fan thread
View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
kwab
Getting ignored by SCOTT STEINER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Re: The Over 30 year old WWE fan thread

I've been watching going on 24yrs (started when I was 8yrs old). Still watch it out of habit though there was a brief period around 2006-2008 where I didn't follow it that closely. Sadly, I've come to just accept the product as it is though being a lifelong fan, I always hope for the best despite expecting the worst. The biggest difference between before and now is obviously the lack of competition. Not just that but there were multiple smaller organizations throughout the country as well. You had your AWA, USWA, Smokey Mountain Wrestling, GWF, UWF and all of them had their own stars. One of the things I've always loved doing was opening up the latest edition of PWI and going to their Top 10 rankings of all the various promotions. Now it's really just WWE and TNA with ROH and Dragon Gate being the only two minor ones.

The other thing that I miss and it's simply due to technology and that is the graininess back then. With HD, the WWE just looks too polished, too clean. Wrestling is supposed to be down and dirty but all they seem to care about is how good they look on TV. It feels like I'm watching a Broadway show with the bright lights rather than a wrestling show. It also makes the moves feel too choreographed and contrived when I see Wrestler A catch Wrestler B in their finisher position only to see Wrestler A move and turn to the camera before hitting his finisher. In an industry where you're supposed to suspend your belief, this only hurts it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeInCattleClass View Post
Funny though - most on this thread would have kids (I don't - wife and I decided against it )

Does that make you guys more in favor of PG? Or do you long for the AE of our youth - happy to let your kids watch that with you as well if wwe changed back.

For me, I never enjoyed AE - as I don't enjoy Jerry Spinger mentality entertainment for the most part - I was a ruthless aggression era guy with Eddie, Benoit, Kurt and Lesnar at the forefront.

Those were the days IMO
While I did enjoy the AE, I was a bigger fan of the Ruthless Aggression Era. I'm sold by in-ring action and feuds that are pushed through the ring rather than the sometimes over-the-top storylines that you saw during the AE or the almost non-existent midcard storylines that you see (or don't see) now.

Here's one of my long standing rants about this PG Era. It's not the fact that it's PG, it's the fact that they seem to really dumb it down for the audience. When I watched back in the late 80's, all the wrestlers and commentators talked like adults despite a large portion of the crowd being kids. Nowadays you have guys like Cena talking really simple, explaining everything slowly and clearly as if we're all 3-4yrs old. So why the difference? You had Hogan, a big time hero to the kids back in the 80's yet they storylines, drama, and promos back then still felt grown-up. The PG Era now feels more it's rated G rather than PG.

Live Shows Attended
10 - Pay-Per-View - WrestleMania 2000, No Way Out '01, Judgment Day '01, SummerSlam '01, Vengeance '01, Royal Rumble '05, WrestleMania 21, WrestleMania XXVI, WrestleMania XXVIII, Royal Rumble '13, WrestleMania XXX...
11 - Monday Night Raw - 7/27/98, 9/13/99, 4/3/00, 10/09/00, 8/06/01, 9/23/02, 3/24/03, 7/21/03, 8/23/04, 4/4/05, 3/15/10, 4/7/13...
5 - SmackDown - 11/30/99, 3/13/01, 8/07/01, 3/25/03, 6/03/03...
5 - House Show - 6/30/94, 7/29/94, 7/17/99, 7/08/00, 1/06/01...

All-Time - Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, Jake Roberts, Randy Savage, Kurt Angle, Demolition, Steve Austin, CM Punk, Brutus Beefcake, D-X (1998-99)
Currently Marking For - Dean Ambrose, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Bray Wyatt, Damien Mizdow

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome