Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - The Over 30 year old WWE fan thread

View Single Post

Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Asenath
Vince gives me a comedy gimmick

Asenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more seriousAsenath needs to take rep more serious
Default Re: The Over 30 year old WWE fan thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeInCattleClass View Post
Funny though - most on this thread would have kids (I don't - wife and I decided against it )

Does that make you guys more in favor of PG? Or do you long for the AE of our youth - happy to let your kids watch that with you as well if wwe changed back.

For me, I never enjoyed AE - as I don't enjoy Jerry Spinger mentality entertainment for the most part - I was a ruthless aggression era guy with Eddie, Benoit, Kurt and Lesnar at the forefront.

Those were the days IMO

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
At 32 now, I was an angry rebellious teenager for the biggest part of the Attitude Era. And all the sexism, sleaze, and homophobic gimmicks did was make me flip over to WCW for their excellent midcard and flip back over for whatever main-event storyline was running in WWE. (As much as I was disinterested in the AE, I was equally interested in the NWO.)

By the time Ruthless Aggression hit, and my WCW faves had moved over to the WWE, I had given up wrestling and gotten absorbed into college life. And I'd been watching since I was knee high to a grasshopper - some of my favorite memories are of that Hulkamania/Piper/Macho Man era. WCW Saturday Night is the warm hug from my childhood. But I just couldn't watch any more.

I have to say, PG era suits me much better, except for the terrible women's division and the shoddy booking. I'd like the WWE to explore adult themes that aren't "Rated R" themes. Plotlines written for adults, that are interesting and intriguing, without being gross. I understand that wrestling requires a broad comedy, and too much sophistication won't play among the core audience.

If they don't mess the Shield/Heyman/Punk/Lesnar dance up, we can use that as an example of whodunit plotting I like. And the level of talent in the locker room is astonishingly good -- maybe better than back in the day. The problem seems to be the writers.

. . .I don't know where I'm going with this. But hi. I'm old. I'm old-fashioned. Thank you.

Last edited by Asenath : 02-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Asenath is offline   Reply With Quote