Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread

View Single Post

Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #6776 (permalink)
BGLWrestlingGod
Yelled at by SCOTT STEINER

BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500BGLWrestlingGod 1001 - 1500
Default Re: Official TNA DVD Help/Discussion/Review Thread

Some time ago, I had a hankering to watch Bound for Glory 2005. I had always enjoyed this event, bought never bought it. The past few years I wanted to buy a copy, but it wasn't available anywhere (and I never order online). I tried to DL it, but couldn't find it anywhere, either. Then a couple of days after trying to DL it, I found it at a second-hand store, new and sealed, for $6. I bought it immediately. Here's my review:

Samoa Joe vs. Jushin Liger
This reminds me of an opener for a WrestleMania, which always starts with star on the rise. Joe was that start, and it was perfect for him to open. This was a solid sprint, with some nice moves. Liger was a bit slower, but they had some good exchanges. Like a lot of people have said, this match could have used more time. It wasn't just that it was short, it felt like it was over before it started. Still a nice opener.

The Diamonds in the Rough vs. Sonny Siaki, Apolo, and Shark Boy
Perfectly fine match, everyone shines here, but this didn't belong at BFG. Good action for what it was.

Lance Hoyt vs. Monty Brown
I always liked this match. This was a nice clash of power styles. One guy who was big and fast, another who is big and powerful. They're similar and yet different. They made the most of their time, got in some nice nearfalls, and Brown looked like another star on the rise. I like these kinds of matches, and this one was no different.

Three Live Kru vs. Team Canada
Again, another tag match that has no place on this card. These teams had been feuding for months, they kept feuding after this, and this match solved nothing. The action was solid, and the swerve with Billy Gunn saving Konnan was refreshing, but that's about it.

Ultimate X: Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin vs. Matt Bentley
I always looked at Styles/Daniels as the Rock/Austin of TNA. So to me, Williams/Sabin is like the Rock/HHH of TNA. It's the next best thing. Putting them in UX is a great fit. This match is good, but not the best UX. The botched ending is a mixed bag, since it feels awkward, but it works for Williams' heat. I could think of worse finishes, but it would have been nice if TNA knew what they were doing and we had a clean finish. Still, solid UX match. Bentley sucks, though.

NWA Tag Titles: AMW vs. The Naturals
This is just a nonstop brawl. The pace never lets up, the action is hard-hitting, this was a really nice tag team match.

Monster's Ball: Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss vs. Rhino vs. Sabu
Classic match, and easily the best MB match ever. This match is so violent, so fun. Everyone gives it 100%, the spots are sick. Jeff's swanton freaks me out to this very day. Rhino's piledriver is nuts, too. You also give sick 2005 Abyss, and Sabu, who is always fun to watch. This is one of the main reasons I bought this. Love this match.

X Division Title: AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels
Two classics in the row, that sums up 05/06 TNA. While the debate is still open as to this being better than their match at AAO, this is still a great match. They just wrestled, pulled out some great moves, and had a nice match. What I love most is not even what they do, but just that as it goes along, the suspense grows as to who is going to score the first fall. Towards the end, it becomes really intense, and I love the twist of AJ scoring the fall 2 seconds before time is up.

10-Man Gauntlet for the Gold
This match was like a curtain call for all the hard work everyone did throughout the night. You get to see everyone who tore it up a second time, earn some applause for their great match and coming out again. The match itself is like a neat all-star show, since you see everyone from every division mixing it up: Joe and Killings, Hardy and Brown, Styles and Abyss, etc. Fun mini-rumble.

NWA World Title: Jeff Jarrett vs. Rhino
Considering that Rhino had two matches earlier in the night, one that had just ended, I don't mind this being short. Also, this starts right after the battle royal, so it feels more like the end of that match than the start of another. Jarrett wails on Rhino, it seems like it could go either way, but Rhino gets the surprise win. I could have done without the post-match shmoz, but still a nice way to end a great night.

All in all, this is a great event. It's a perfect showcase for everyone of TNA's shining divisions: two great X Division matches, an awesome tag team match, a classic hardcore match, and enough star power to fuel a main event.

As much as I am a mark for Kevin Nash, I'm actually glad he didn't make it to this. Him main eventing against Jarrett again in the same year (right after another Styles/Daniels Iron Man match, no less!) would have been stale, predictable, and not a great match.

Nash being absent created a great atmosphere of mystery, for who would face Jarrett and how. This created a great mood throughout the night, and it culminated in the battle royal and the main event.

There were a lot of good matches, everyone shined, and this was a great start to the Bound for Glory franchise. Damn good PPV.

1. No. 1 Contender's Match for the WWE Championship: John Cena vs. CM Punk - Monday Night RAW - February 25 - ****1/2

2. No Disqualification Match: CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar - ****1/2

3. WWE Championship: The Rock vs. John Cena - WrestleMania XXIX - ****

4. The Undertaker vs. CM Punk - WrestleMania XXIX - ****