Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Better "retirement" era
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
TehBrain
Quiet Humanoids!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Re: Better "retirement" era

yeah, hard to say. When you hear stories like Tony Atlas being the world champion while also living on the streets. Mick Foley talks about Bologna and hand sandwiches being a staple of his diet while he was working for wcw and ecw... But now you have a very small indy world and no territories to speak of. Two Main companies that are no longer really competing at least at the moment, meaning they aren't going to be paying incredibly competitive wages especially to the lower card guys. You also have a system that churns through guys quicker than a garbage disposal through a plastic spoon. From the stories I've heard from the guys that were there, I'd have to say the era just before the territories really died (80's) was probably the worst for those going into retirement as well as setting guys up for retirement in the future. Just so many horror stories about scrimping and saving to get by.

* edit, I read wrong.. the better era to retire in.. I'd say those that started in the early 90's and got big during the attitude era probably ended up best off. The guys that were younger and came up during the attitude era are for the most part un-heard from now. There are few exceptions for the number of them there were.

Last edited by TehBrain; 02-01-2013 at 05:00 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome