Wrestling Forum banner

Gay Oregon Teen Jadin Bell Commits Suicide After Enduring Years Of Bullying

3K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  Striker 
#1 ·
Another young person has died as a result of anti-gay bullying: Jadin Bell, a 15-year-old sophomore at La Grande High School in La Grande, Oregon, was taken off life support last week, after hanging himself in a school playground.
Earlier in the week, nearly 200 people attended a vigil for Bell at a nearby art center, where dozens of photos of the bright-looking youth were on display.
“Jadin is one of the best people I have ever met. He makes everyone around him feel good all the time,” said LHS junior Frankie Benitez.
She said Bell is someone who never forgets his friends.
“Jadin always remembers people no matter what,” Benitez said. “If I felt bad, I would hang out with him and he would say something small like, ‘I love your sweater.’ He notices things you didn’t think anyone notices.”
Another girl described Jadin as the sweetest boy she had ever met. She recalled that when she transferred to LHS, Bell was the first person she did not know to talk to her.
Bell was a member of the LHS cheerleading team and volunteered at an assisted-living facility in town. But his sexuality and sensitive nature made him a target for bullies, both at school and on the Web, said family friend Bud Hill: “He was different, and they tend to pick on the different ones.”

Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/gay-oregon-t...ing-years-of-bullying-20130129/#ixzz2JdGJwnaC
Read more at http://www.queerty.com/gay-oregon-t...ars-of-bullying-20130129/#iCoFvTSsu9Zc3Mb2.99

#2 ·
Sucks young kids think that the only way to solve their problems. Ive never been in a situation like that but im sure talking to someone would help a ton. Noone that age can be truly alone.

Hoping this thread doesnt get filled with nonsense though. Seems threads about suicide go downhill fast.

#4 ·
I went down that road once, it dose but only if it stops, the more times you talk about it the less it helps, so talking is not the awnser, it only delays it, cause after a while you find out talking dont stop it and it gets worse

more os when you cant get away now days, some of these fuckers will even go to your house knock on your door and keep up the same old shit, fuck shakes man some of them even start bullying your parents as well its out of control

#6 ·
How do you feel about a person that is being touterd? and being kept alive just for more pain?

To a lot of these kids thats what that is, there is no escape, you might say "wait a few years" but there is only so far self control and patience can go

What would you do if you got beat up evrey day at school with out fail bleeding and nothing was ever done, then picked on, and very often the teacvhers or what ever blame YOU or do nothing and you get it worse the next day, then go on to facebook, or hell even walk home and STILL have this problem

consent insults are proven to affect a kid while being raised, if a dad yells and says your no good, you should die etc, it affects them in ways it dont affect adults, this is not their fault they cant turm that off, IMO its the same for anyone telling you that stuff as a young kid

#8 · (Edited)
How do you hang in there? how long can you take getting punched in the face daily? kicked in the stomach and being made fun of? for the kicking and being punched, the miltary has to train full on adults to be used to that type of thing, its not easy, hardar for kids, down right impossible for some

Many of the kids feel, and IMO understandably it don't get better, you go to work every single day as an adult working in till your old making enouigh money if your lucky to watch your kids go through the same thing you did and there is nothing you can do

whats more, is "surviving" always worth it? I mean it may get better but dose that mean its worth it?

getting kicked in the balls is better then having them curt off, don't know if I would look forward tot hat

Note I'm talking as how I felt as a young teen, and TBH I STILL feel it would not be worth it if I went through half of what some of these kids do, it messes with you physicality meantily and evrey other ways that is hard to understand as full on adults let alone as a kid

I got help thank God, but part of that help was getting away, I can tell you now, had I stayed where I was life is NOT worth it, in anyway there is no "making up for it" it stops yes, but life don't get "better" it just changes

In many cases NOTHING will ever make up for what you have to go through, some of the kids literary are getting stitches on a fucking monthly basis
Broken arms, legs, nose etc

lots of pepole think its harmless jokes etc, but it tends to be way more then that

There is a pain threshold, and IMO once you pass that nothing in life is worth living through that for years, few days or a few grads? fine but some of these kids have it for fucking 12 years

Life is okay at best, not worth fighting for years through hat shit

I'm not saying dont get help, or you should commit suicide, but that I personnel still to this day, dont think it would of been worth it to keep going had it stayed the same becuse this is not worth going through that in any shape or form thats hell on earth and beyond

The hard part is, speaking as a guy who has had his fair share of pain in his life, that hurt worse then people breaking your fingers, slidding a knife in to you

its like they did that every single day, and YOU got blamed or they did nothing

Most pepole would die form this pain, except is done in such a way that you suffer and it will not end in till school is over, in many cases its simply not worth it

I feel for them, I understand I still cant justify life, there is nothing great about it that makes putting up with that worth it

So I understand why they feel that way, maybe sucide is the wrong awnser (I think it is) but as a kid you dont see many other options, all the dumb ones dont work

you stand up to that bully you get beat up by his freinds worse for the whole next year
you tell a teacher they come over to where you live and beat you for the next month not caring
you tell cops they tell you there is nothing you can do

you defend your self, you get in trouble they walk away

#9 ·
Rayfu's making excuses for suicide victims. Killing yourself is wrong on so many levels and there are plenty of valid reasons for not feeling sympathetic toward them. Suicide is selfish, cowardly, narcissistic, and ultimately a giant display of conceding to the negative shit around you, in this case bullies. Bell put/is putting his family and friends through A LOT mentally, emotionally, and monetarily. There's always somewhere to go, something to do, or someone to run to and it's not like this kid was a social outcast. From the sound of things, he was a pretty sociable kid with a good amount of friends and a loving family, but like most teens he was too shortsighted to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Ending your life forever rather than enduring another 2 1/2 years of shit talking from a few jerkoffs is hardly worth it. He didn't even have to endure it. Changing schools, standing his ground to the bullies, traveling in groups, ignoring the bullies, etc. would all be better options than suicide.

Suicide is always, 100% of the time a moronic idea...in first-world scenarios anyway.

#10 · (Edited)
]Rayfu's making excuses for suicide victims.
No I'm not, I said I think its wrong, but I cant tell them it gets better and I cant tell them its worth it

There's always somewhere to go, something to do, or someone to run to
No there is not, what can you go to?
cops? did it nothing happen, they cant "prove" it happen was their response
school? did it nothing happen made it ten tims worse, kids saw me as a snitch and now I get beat up by kids who ingored me before.
parents did it, the bully parents got invlode and made things even worse
some where to go? think god I had one but not every one dose, we had only one school distrect where I lived, there was no transfer, my parents litlary had to leave on the streets for a bit becuse they wanted a better life for me, but not evrey one can do thios

Ending your life forever rather than enduring another 2 1/2 years of shit talking from a few jerkoffs is hardly worth it.
He didn't even have to endure it. Changing schools, standing his ground to the bullies, traveling in groups, ignoring the bullies, etc. would all be better options than suicide.
You have no proof what he did, I've seen ingoring bullys it almost never works, I've stood up to bulls ended up with cracked ribs, broken arm and blood ebrey where more then once cause of that, and no it did not stop it how many times I did it, it must of been some where in the twnetys
no proof he could change schools
Travling in groups only works if kids are willing to stand up to them, which they are nto always, and even then it only works if the kids can fight and its bigger then the group that is bullying you, which it almost never is for these cases

these are the kids the WHOLE school makes fun of and kids dont help becuse if they do they get targted

Suicide is always, 100% of the time a moronic idea...in first-world scenarios anyway.
The thing is, a lot of the bullying CAN be third world country stuff, I've seen kids bulled so much they get each finger broken one at a time, becuse they told someone, I've seen a kid bullied so much he littlarly got stabled hell where I once a parents kids got KILLED by a builly cause they tried to stop him (He was in a gang true but the point still stands)

your acting like all bullying is a shove, maybe a punch and name calling
it is a lot more htne that more often then not, and pepole dont relize this, we have kids being forced to eat their own shit, and things you will NEVEr hear about cause its THAT bad

#12 ·
I'm not buying that any of the examples you provided involved innocent, wrong place wrong time type individuals. I also believe you're taking a lot of it out of context. Breaking fingers one by one is some mob type shit. There must be other factors that tied into it because MY experience with bullying has never gotten that extreme and the most common experiences most people have with bullies are name calling, threats of physical harm, knocking milk off lunch trays, stealing lunch money...that type of shit. It's a very small minority that goes through the extreme methods of bullying and at that point I'm willing to bet that the "bullies" in those cases aren't common, everyday school bullies rather they're likely gang members or straight up reckless, juvenile delinquents. I'd also be interested in the location/settings of these more extreme cases. I can bet that odds are, they're in low income inner city type areas.

#13 · (Edited)
The thing is, a lot of pepole said "I would of helped"
"I had no idea" they did, but getting involved makes you a target
Beign gay makes it worse, I've heard of times where bully's really attempted, damned or even full out took off the guys balls\penis etc
And whats worse is if its forma young age, you start thinking there is something wrong with you, and while its getting better thats only happen recently and so there is some more guilt added with pain and Lord knows what else

you hear of the simple stuff, of "bullying" cause no one ever speaks of what happens

Maybe he could of done things, we dont know but I've met\seen kids who did these things and it only made it worse, there was no awnser

Here is an exsample, your in a gang, as a female only way to leave is to be gangrapped by evrey one or killed

what should the person do? (Keep in mind that there are gangs where you join cause of a oplder sibling and you had "no choice")

Thats just one exsample where if it came down to it, its quite possible the right answer sadly
as once again cops hardily can do anything, freinds are to scared to help, tyhere is not much teachers can do
and if you mange to get one of them to helpy ou the gang could kill you anyways

ts sort of like that but with out the gang, you NEVEr had a choice and its either take your beatings in till school is over (many kids have died form said beatings anyways) or make it worse, why assume these kids did not have it worse? notice how they NEVER tell you what the kid had to endure, or if they do the skip over it?

I'm not buying that any of the examples you provided involved innocent, wrong place wrong time type individuals.
A black kid growing up in a gang infested area and being out right told to pick a side or else happens all to often.
I was a white guy in a Mexican school with heavy ties to gangs in mexico, but it could just as easily been a white school with ties to enter gang here.

I also believe you're taking a lot of it out of context. Breaking fingers one by one is some mob type shit. There must be other factors that tied into it because MY experience with bullying has never gotten that extreme and the most common experiences most people have with bullies are name calling, threats of physical harm, knocking milk off lunch trays, stealing lunch money...that type of shit.
Your right that its "small" but its also a lot smaller the kids who kill them selfs after going through what you said, there are millions of kids bullied each year that way that survive, but most of those who do commit suicide form what i seen have it far worse, I do not denyt here are kids who do that, I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the poor infested gang areas where shootings stabings etc are common and cops are uesless
It's a very small minority that goes through the extreme methods of bullying and at that point I'm willing to bet that the "bullies" in those cases aren't common, everyday school bullies rather they're likely gang members or straight up reckless, juvenile delinquents.
in the school I was at gangs where the bully so was the delinquents and THATS COMMON in many poor area schools, most bullies tend to travle in groups there and are gangs or should be anyways.

I'd also be interested in the location/settings of these more extreme cases. I can bet that odds are, they're in low income inner city type areas.
Yes, which means they cant afford to move, that type of thing is "accepted" (in the sense it happens all the time due to gang activity) so your choices are get another Gang to help, fight said gang by your self, tell a teacher etc all of which tick off the gang and make it far worse for you

http://bullyinglte.wordpress.com/2009/11/25/15-year-old-boy-burned-in-bully-attack/ this is just one even that happen to get attrition (for the wrong reassons)
this while more unique is what a lot of kids go through that people seem to not want to believe happens

Just read some of those fucking storys, there is FAR more fucked up stuff that NEVER gets told, becuse it only makes it worse

Bullying is far more then just the simple kid stuff that almost evrye one gose through many times, but most dont know this\dont want to belive it and thats part of the problem when they do tell someone they think "its not that bad suck it up move on" and the stuff keeps getting worse while evrey one thinks its just being picked on

#15 ·
Article is devoid of any real facts or evidence. Where are the examples of bullying? Where's the proof? there is none.

Was his being gay even relevent? I think the queer website (queerty) was merely using his death as a way to further their own agenda.

Further evidenced by the sites slogan: "free of an agenda except that gay one"

Funny how people are willing to jump to conclusions when there are little to no facts being presented.

Even if he was being bullied, he's the one that put the rope around his neck, noone else.

#18 ·
Not surprised it happened in Florida. Can we just sell Florida back to Spain or something?

Anyway, that is sad. Bullying is always going to be a case of should have, would have, could have. It's never an issue until shit pops off and the cases where bullying is prevented is NEVER reported on because people like reading horrifying, fucked up shit. Violence sells which is why scenarios like this pop up every so often and makes it seem like every case of bullying is like that. It's tough to pinpoint who should have or could have done something. There are hundreds of variables that go into each and every situation like this. You can blame the parents, teachers, the victim his/herself but at the end of the day tragedy strikes. Sick shit happens and you can't always prevent it. It's a shame. Count your blessings.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm not saying every single one is like that, just far more are then most people think, you dont know what these kids went through

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...e_male_cheerleaders_arm_broken_by_bullies.php
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...2/bullied-kid-teased-for-not-knowing-how.html
http://www.kltv.com/story/19428038/bullying-accusations-end-in-stabbing

We need to wake up and now that bullying is bad, and there are out of this world unbelievable sutff hapening to many7 kids, not evrey kid is just bullied a bit, some go through stuff like this for years

What would you do if this happen to you? keep in mind many of them had fought back, had gone to cops, teachs, parents.

#23 ·
I get bullied every day, if i fight back im ganged up on and beaten. Hell I had my best friend lie and say I raped him which got spread around the school so peop;e thought I wa a pedophile. Being disabled didnt help, Hell im still friends with this guy out of fear he will fuck me over and have me killed by his pedo mates or come after my GF and child. The man I live with is their boss and I gotta be careful.He turned my brother and sister against me. I get ridiculed and shit all the time while waiting for them to fuck up so im free. Dont care if you think im lying, talking bout it helps. Ive contemplated suicide or just giving in and being like them, but my girl and child give me strength to fight another day in the hope they will be gone. This kid was weak and his destroyed his family.

#24 ·
It absolutely baffles me how someone could even think about ending their own life. I do feel somewhat sympathetic for the kid, but as has been said in this thread and others a thousand times, there are other options and suicide is the complete last resort (obviously). Sucks for his family that they now have to live in grief for the rest of their lives and now the bullies have basically won, so yeah, pretty stupid. Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm ill and tired.

#27 ·
They should treat people who tease people for their sexuality the same way they treat people who tease others for their race,Its basically the same thing since people are born with their sexuality the same way they are born with their skin color and teasing somebody for something like this is just unacceptable.

#31 ·
The article is biased in the fact that it presents no examples of said bullying or how being gay played into it at all. Why? Perhaps because there is no way to document anything like that or perhaps it didn't really happen thus it wouldn't help their agenda. Doesn't really matter to me. The kid is dead and that's sad. Agenda pushing sites like the one that published the article do nothing for me. It just comes off as lazy reporting to me.

#39 ·
This article is just another story pushing the anti-bullying campaign. The only reason the Be A Star organization and other anti-bullying programs exist is because the gay lobbyists are gaining more power and influence. There is far worse bullying going on that has nothing to do with sexual orientation and isn't just limited to teenagers.

#34 ·
People get bullied/teased/picked on all the time.

People aren't very nice, if you can't handle a couple of kids throwing their weight around on the school yard then you're not going to last 5 minutes once you leave school and have to deal with office bullies or drunken tits looking for a fight on a night out.

The kid could have joined some of the daytime school activities. When I was in school, for the people who struggled with friends and being picked on, they'd keep one class free which had computers and board games and would let them all go in there and play games or study more, everybody was welcome.

I was guilty of giving people a hard time too, I thought I was just having some banter with one lad but I ended up making him quit the football team. Sometimes they don't know how badly they're hurting somebody.

#41 · (Edited)
He did join groups he was a cheerleaders

People aren't very nice, if you can't handle a couple of kids throwing their weight around on the school yard then you're not going to last 5 minutes once you leave school and have to deal with office bullies or drunken tits looking for a fight on a night out.
I disagree, school bullying #1 your less mature
#2 less cofdent
#3 they can hit you all they want and noting append hardily ever where in real life you can get them arrested for tapping you
#4 the fights on a night out are one time things, this in many cases happens to the kids daily for hours on end,where if that was done in real life it would be stoped almost right away but in school? it gose on for all of school/ and school is most of your "life" so you wont have the "fun" to turn to as an adult, going out on the town etc for many school is the biggest social thing in their life and they are stuck with it for 12 long years, they can join groups and what not but most of these things HAPPEN to kids who did just that
Cheer leading, swim team, football, computer, chess club etc

they couldn't provide one example of him being bullied? surely his parents would have noticed something.
The praents could of known everything and try to tell people, my parents did, and no matter who they told what happen nothing was ever done or wrote about or anything, its really a mind set of "not that bad grow a pa move on"

pepole don't realize how many kids tell parents teachers etc and the off chance they try to do something nothing gets done nor will that ever come to light

Whts worse is that the mind set is the stories they hear are "overreactions" its just harmless bullying so if he dose tell a messed up story no one believes it and so it dont get published and when the kid gets killed, set on fire etc they say "he never said anything" or just keeps quite never speaking up cause of shame (would you admit that you ignore this kids help?)

every one assumed
A. its harmless name calling
B. the kid did not have it roguh
C. he never attempted at all to stop it in anyway and its his fault.
D. if he did tell someone what he said was not the truth because bullying is not that bad.

It's also flat ous possible since this report was an "update on him" that the orignal one dose say what happen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.