Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

View Single Post

Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pratchett
Carpe Jugulum

Pratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselvesPratchett is making a name for themselves
Default Re: The hard question (20+ year old fans only please).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt Kidd View Post
Do I feel too old?

No.

Do I feel too smart?

Yes.
I can relate to this.
I started watching pro wrestling as a kid in the early 80's. I was really naive back then, and even when other kids my age told me it was fake, I didn't believe them. Oddly enough, it took me longer to get into "real" sports like MLB, NFL, etc. But even after I realized it was scripted, I continued to be a fan through the first few Wrestlemanias. Eventually going through high school my interests changed and I stopped watching. Some years later, after getting married, I ran into a buddy from HS and he got me to start watching again during the Monday Night Wars. It was a great time to watch, and I was hooked again.

Eventually my friend and I parted ways again, but I continued to watch. Over the years, there have always been good storylines and bad ones. Before the RR yesterday, I found an old VHS tape with the 2001 King of the Ring on it. I watched it with my wife and son that afternoon. The matches were OK, mostly. The standout match was a street fight between Kurt Angle and Shane Mc. I marked out like a fiend while watching that again! My 12 yr old son, though, was shocked at the overall violence and amount of blood. He cringed at the glass fragments stuck to Kurt and Shane as the match continued. Quite a contrast in fan reactions due to generational differences and what we were used to seeing.

Also of note was the match between Austin, Jericho and Benoit. My son loves watching old Stone Cold matches, but hated this one, because Austin was going through the whole "losing his mind" crap storyline. It was surreal watching Austin run away like a little bitch, and complain about Vince not being there to protect him. I guess that I, like a lot of others, forced myself to forget that ever happened. It goes to show that even in the good old days, there was some awful booking and story writing.

We watched the RR, and we both thought the show was pretty good. Lots of great moments that had us marking out and howling like fools. Big Show getting his feet duct taped to the ropes. Y2J at #2. Kofi landing on Alberts back. Daniel Bryan jumping into Kane's arms like AJ when she kissed him, and getting subsequently dropped on his head.

Being on forums like this, reading the dirt sheets and just considering ourselves as smart marks I think we end up taking some of the joy out of watching wrestling by our own selves. We can blame the booking, the storylines or our least favorite guys all we want. It's a lot to expect for a show that televises two new programs every week of the year to satisfy us every time we tune in. Look at all the other TV shows you watch. How many new shows do they have in a season? In a year? And how many of those do you think are great every time you watch?

I love that Raw (and Smackdown, etc) are live shows filmed every week in front of live audiences with only one take. Try that with every other show on TV. Yeah, I wasn't happy that Cena won the RR, nor that Rock won the title. But you can't have everything, and the shows are written for more people than just me.

Getting off the soapbox now...
...And looking forward to watching Raw tonight.
Pratchett is offline   Reply With Quote